Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

mystes
May 31, 2006

At this point his channel would probably be better if he didn't brand it around himself and instead just leaned into it being an online cooking media empire or something, since he has all the BA refugees. He could probably make more money selling cookbooks or merchandise or something that way. And he appears to actually be formally trained in film stuff too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

mystes posted:

Chef as in someone who is the head of a restaurant's kitchen professionally or chef as in some random person who operates a cooking-related youtube channel?

He's not a (former) professional head of a restaurant kitchen chef? He has chef tattoos.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

droll posted:

He's not a (former) professional head of a restaurant kitchen chef? He has chef tattoos.
If chef tattoos make the chef I am a goddamn James Beard award winner.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Also, not that his own videos are particularly bad or anything but if this "Botched with Babish" video is indicating that he routinely has to make stuff a ton of times to get it to work and he's just not showing that, that's exactly what I don't want in cooking videos and it's one reason I appreciate Kenji's POV videos actually showing everything that happens, although ideally cooking videos will explain any potential pitfalls anyway.

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 19, 2021

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

mystes posted:

At this point his channel would probably be better if he didn't brand it around himself and instead just leaned into it being an online cooking media empire or something, since he has all the BA refugees. He could probably make more money selling cookbooks or merchandise or something that way. And he appears to actually be formally trained in film stuff too.

He's only had a short series with Sohla and I'm guessing the Rick series will be a similarly limited engagement. That's it as far as ex-BA on the BCU. If he's gonna bring in others, I don't think it'll be BA refugees.

I am an unabashed Babish fan. Hope he builds a full-on empire.

mystes
May 31, 2006

To put it another way, I don't know if he's just hosting Rick's videos but considering how high quality the first one was, if he's actually involved in getting them made in any way he should seriously consider focusing on that (producing shows with other people).

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

fizzymercury posted:

If chef tattoos make the chef I am a goddamn James Beard award winner.

Or a line cook, whatever. He wasn't industry?

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Nope, he was a dude that posted a video to Reddit while in, I think, film school.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

droll posted:

He also has really amateur technique. Watching him work with a knife is super cringe. I didn't realize he hadn't actually worked a line before lol but now it all makes sense

^

And if we want to flash forward to the next 20 posts in the thread cycle:

droll posted:

Y'all getting triggered is funnier than his doucebag tatts

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
I completely forgot! Man I must have completely memory holed April 2020 when really hosed up poo poo was happening like my best friend in the ICU from COVID. Thanks for... creeping on me? :\

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Robviously posted:

Nope, he was a dude that posted a video to Reddit while in, I think, film school.

He's just alton brown 2.0 maybe without the republican political thoughts but... there's still time to milkshake duck himself.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Slotducks posted:

He's just alton brown 2.0 maybe without the republican political thoughts but... there's still time to milkshake duck himself.
Looking forward to "Binging with Babish: The World's Most Expensive Milkshake Duck"

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

droll posted:

I completely forgot! Man I must have completely memory holed April 2020 when really hosed up poo poo was happening like my best friend in the ICU from COVID. Thanks for... creeping on me? :\

It was easy to remember, those posts from April were just a month ago…right?

My food related video consumption has collapsed over the course of the pandemic. It was the perfect time to expand my culinary boundaries, but instead I basically only watch Foooood Wishes dot cooooom, maybe every other main Babish video, Rick’s stuff, and Hot Ones when I like the guest.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Slotducks posted:

Alton Brown went to culinary school though.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Democratic Pirate posted:

It was easy to remember, those posts from April were just a month ago…right?

No you went back 15 months.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
That manic chaotic energy was pretty fun to watch. Yes pecorino tends to clump and parmesan doesn't. I like his blender solution at the end, whatever works.

Afterwards I made cacio pep for dinner first attempt like a normal person.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

droll posted:

No you went back 15 months.

So you freak the gently caress out in this thread whenever Babish comes up and you... aren't doing it for the attention? Like I get that him having "chef tatts" is really offensive to you but it clearly doesn't bother everyone else nearly as much. Maybe start writing him weird letters and quit posting in here about it.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Can we just skip to the droll probe so that this rehash is over?

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

prayer group posted:

So you freak the gently caress out

What an odd way to describe it given I just asked a couple questions and expressed surprise. I completely forgot this came up 15 months ago when I was under immense stress after losing my job and my friend in ICU intubated. Plus my long covid brain fog probably isn't helping my memory.

Which posts do you think are 'freaking the loving out' ?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Not interested. Sorry to hear about your bad life.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sorry, posting about Babish a whopping two times in the food tv thread in 15 months clearly means you are obsessed with him and thinking about him 24 hours a day.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

i mean who WOULDN'T be obsessed with that charming rascal :kimchi:

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Muscle Tracer posted:

i mean who WOULDN'T be obsessed with that charming rascal :kimchi:

:hmmyes:

Also matty Matheson

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

His head is so pasty it hurts my eyes. He should wear a hat.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Better yet he should get a chef tattoo on his big bald head

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Binging With Blue Men.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I like his tattoos I think they really represent what he's all about.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

mystes posted:

Nobody makes the recipes on his channel. It got popular because he made food from movies and tv shows in an entertaining way. If he stopped doing that and brought in real cooks to do whatever I bet views go down.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Mu Zeta posted:

Nobody makes the recipes on his channel. It got popular because he made food from movies and tv shows in an entertaining way. If he stopped doing that and brought in real cooks to do whatever I bet views go down.

I used his croque monsieur/madame recipe this evening.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Me too -- I followed the baklava recipe most recently, it came out excellent. :colbert:

In general, his Basics series do about the same amount of views as the Movie/TV dishes, so it's not impossible that he could slowly pivot away from the stunt dishes and keep the viewership.

But if he does bring in others, then it's a matter of finding the right mix of personalities and that's far from easy. I think it's become obvious that the appeal of BA was greater than the sum of its parts, at least if we're to judge by the followings of those who left (not named Claire Saffitz). Sohla's view counts on various solo outlets do a third or less of what she did on Babish's show. Many of Rick's Sweet Heat videos are hitting under 100k.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
the green bean casserole recipe from that thanksgiving episode was solid

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
Yeah I've made several of his recipes as written or used them as a basis for something I wanted to experiment with. I still have a bottle of the carolina red bbq sauce he made for the Freddy's ribs episode, it's pretty good after growing up with nothing but KC Masterpiece.

He has a kitchen producer now, Kendall Beach, who graduated from the CIA. She definitely does a lot of the heavy lifting like in the space cake episode.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

A ton of his recipes he just credits to America's Test Kitchen or Kenji, especially early on.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Rick_Hunter posted:

Yeah I've made several of his recipes as written or used them as a basis for something I wanted to experiment with. I still have a bottle of the carolina red bbq sauce he made for the Freddy's ribs episode, it's pretty good after growing up with nothing but KC Masterpiece.

He has a kitchen producer now, Kendall Beach, who graduated from the CIA. She definitely does a lot of the heavy lifting like in the space cake episode.

It took me way longer than it should have to figure out what you meant by CIA.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Even 90% of his main series dishes aren't stunt dishes, they're just fairly normal dishes that happened to be in a show. The taco town and milk steak stuff is mostly reserved for specials.

I use his sandwich bread recipe pretty often (it's nothing earth shattering but just a nice solid white sandwich loaf), and I did his kettle corn recipe on the weekend (turned out great and is only the tiniest fraction more complicated than normal popcorn).

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I have his first cookbook. Would I buy another, probably. Would I buy his cookware, lol no.

I appreciate the dude figured out the blessing of the algorithm.

I remember some of his early more cocktail focused videos in the dim New York apartment, and how far he's gotten.

I am not mad at the guy for riding the viral wagon to success. He's aware of how lucky he is, and I don't begrudge him getting to try and win his spin at the wheel of capitalism.

I would rather babishes then another Cooking with Sam or Weissman or ATK or Bbq Pit Boys DOT COM. Or God forbid more Gurga foods.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

toplitzin posted:

Gurga foods.
Yeah but have you seen his 'sous vide a brisket for a month' video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4of3b7Xb4Rs

All nitpicking aside Babish was my first glimpse into foodtube and he's gotten me to broaden my cooking horizons without having to read wordy blogs or watch 30 min episodes on food network. I understand why people would be skeptical of his cookware - the knives are pretty subpar. If I was going to throw him a quarter I'd probably buy a bowl or something b/c you can't gently caress that up too much.

Leraika posted:

It took me way longer than it should have to figure out what you meant by CIA.
That was entirely on purpose.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Queer Salutations posted:

A ton of his recipes he just credits to America's Test Kitchen or Kenji, especially early on.
There's basically no such thing as "his" recipes when it comes to normal food. I'm not sure he's ever made up anything himself. For most of the early videos you can tell he's using one of the top Google results (or combining the top few) and for a lot of the later videos he'll explicitly mention whose recipe he's using. There's nothing wrong with this - I love his videos! - but people who are like "Babish knows how to cook, I use his recipes all the time" are sort of missing the point. They're not his recipes. The weird stuff he makes up himself (and that's fine) and for the real stuff he films himself cooking other people's recipes in an attractive manner.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Sort of on topic, this nice reply was buried in the comments a while back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

toplitzin posted:

I have his first cookbook. Would I buy another, probably. Would I buy his cookware, lol no.

If his knives are even within the ballpark in terms of quality compared to the goon-approved Victorinox knives, they might be worth the price, especially given that the latter aren't really $20 anymore.