Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
I think there's an overall lack of granularity at the higher levels (and maybe too much at the lower levels- I've seen complaints that there's nobody to play against on floors 1-3).

A solution that comes to mind is that Celestial should maybe have 2-3 floor of its own so that there's a little more separation between the Good Players and the Literal Gods.

unimportantguy fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jul 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah my beef with Celestial right now is that it's a pain in the rear end to get into, quick match doesn't appear to matchmake into Celestial, and then once you're there you're fighting this huge swath of players between "Pretty Decent Player" and "Literally God" all crammed into one floor. It's so hard to get a decent match sometimes because you have to find the Celestial lobby who doesn't have Ultra Instinct Sol demolishing anyone who dares cast a shadow on their floor.

Anyway I played a Sol today where I mistimed pressing dust after a garuda and we just awkwardly stared at each other for a minute then I hit him anyway.
https://streamable.com/syxumu

Edit: Also WRT tower stuff, I think there's maybe the hope that the tower situation will work itself out as the competition gets stiffer? As players get better it'll get harder to get into the upper floors/heaven and people will start to filter down? Then again it's kinda easy to cheese sneaking into Celestial if you wanna do win trading or just be extremely picky with who you fight. Basically Celestial candidate Axl refusing to fight anyone who isn't Potemkin.

Glagha fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jul 20, 2021

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Yeah the first three floors are a ghost town. I think that's a symptom of letting people go higher than their assigned floor so newbies go where fights are and it just compounds on itself. Add in that the ranking system seems pretty Unsophisticated, and you get this result. It’s kind of a bummer. Everybody’s crammed together on that top half. It’s not as if there’s an easy fix. If you made the upper floor limit restrictive, then you could get into a situation where people couldn’t find matches at all. But, floors four and five are a hilarious mess and wide range of competency. Everything from mashers to people who got their first bread and butter combos up to people who are just edging into having a coherent game plan.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I read a random comment that you can't go lower than 2 floors of your peak floor, and this game's ladder system really punishes you if you got far with one character but want to learn another.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Glagha posted:

Yeah my beef with Celestial right now is that it's a pain in the rear end to get into, quick match doesn't appear to matchmake into Celestial, and then once you're there you're fighting this huge swath of players between "Pretty Decent Player" and "Literally God" all crammed into one floor. It's so hard to get a decent match sometimes because you have to find the Celestial lobby who doesn't have Ultra Instinct Sol demolishing anyone who dares cast a shadow on their floor.

You can't do Quick Match, but if you enter any floor (including Celestial and Park) you can enter training matchmaking from the pause menu on that floor, which is pretty much identical.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Tae posted:

I read a random comment that you can't go lower than 2 floors of your peak floor, and this game's ladder system really punishes you if you got far with one character but want to learn another.

This would explain some things, actually, if it's the case, like how I can go long sets of 1-2 on floor 8 but if I do that on 9 I get ranked down. What a weird system.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I think the servers started dying ahead of maintenance. I keep getting no connection from host. Even had a match where my opponent DC'D partway through and I was suddenly controlling their character and not mine.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1ir7zqENoU

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

New main.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://twitter.com/neitoQN/status/1417153237476536320

Why am I not just playing Sol? Who needs to do all of this work when all you need is one combo?

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
Every time Sol hits a sweet spot I feel like I just passed out for a second and missed half the match.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

I was already to put a spicy post here about the match I just had and how I felt like I did everything right but nothing worked out because of the 9 frames of rollback and then I couldn't get a rematch because I got disconnected from the goddamn server again but then I couldn't connect to SA. My router needed resetting. Whoops.

Edit: the struggle is real between wanting to sit on the couch and be comfy playing fighting games and the annoyance when Steam Link-related latency costs me a match.

unimportantguy fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jul 20, 2021

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Clean hits are probably the only really major thing I think they should just take away from Sol. It wouldn’t even hurt him that much it’ll just get rid of his most egregious combo routes

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

unimportantguy posted:

I was already to put a spicy post here about the match I just had and how I felt like I did everything right but nothing worked out because of the 9 frames of rollback and then I couldn't get a rematch because I got disconnected from the goddamn server again but then I couldn't connect to SA. My router needed resetting. Whoops.

Edit: the struggle is real between wanting to sit on the couch and be comfy playing fighting games and the annoyance when Steam Link-related latency costs me a match.

This is why I picked a reasonably cheap desktop PC with a half decent old graphics card in it to sit under the TV...

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Weird question, but I'd didn't know a better place to ask it: does anyone know any bands that sound like Millia's Theme (Love the Sub-Human Self)? I love it, and I see a lot of people comparing it to Nigh Wish, which is a great band, but much more symphonic.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Lacuna Coil is what you want.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jack Trades posted:

https://twitter.com/neitoQN/status/1417153237476536320

Why am I not just playing Sol? Who needs to do all of this work when all you need is one combo?

I did not know that sol can dash up 5k after a counter hit far slash.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

The balance being otherwise pretty dang good really does make Sol pretty egregious. I wonder if the first dlc patch will include balance updates.

If I could change one thing on I-no, I'd make j.D be a launch again so that double overhead is a scary option once more rather than just mostly chip damage without an RC

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I've only met a few Sols, presumably because they all rocketed to higher floors long ago and don't brawl with mere peasants anymore. Is the big problem with Sol the way he seems to just be able to do anything and everything, are his blockstrings too safe, his damage too high, or what?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I've only met a few Sols, presumably because they all rocketed to higher floors long ago and don't brawl with mere peasants anymore. Is the big problem with Sol the way he seems to just be able to do anything and everything, are his blockstrings too safe, his damage too high, or what?

He has a ton of routes to his combos that start off of great fast normals

Ashtarath
Oct 11, 2012

And he builds risk faster than the entire cast

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

He has everything, which isn't the biggest issue but he also does the most damage out of all the characters at the same time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sol seems philosophically to be built like a high-risk high-reward character but he can also get 50% damage or more off of a blind DP so it never feels like you can ever press an advantage at any point in the match.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Except he's also not high risk because he has slightly higher defense than average and therefore is allowed to make more mistakes.

dprk -i juche.deb
Jul 25, 2012

you must give up playing this hole

Elvis_Maximus posted:

The balance being otherwise pretty dang good really does make Sol pretty egregious. I wonder if the first dlc patch will include balance updates.

If I could change one thing on I-no, I'd make j.D be a launch again so that double overhead is a scary option once more rather than just mostly chip damage without an RC

It's not that bad, after j.D you can do j.236H~H j.P j.P (land) 6H 214K to get OK damage and a wallstick in the corner, or end early to keep them cornered and go for another mixup. You don't get much damage midscreen, but you can get decent corner carry with j.236H. And anywhere on the screen you can get big damage or big plus frames if you cancel into ultimate fortissimo after j.D. If we're asking for I-No buffs I'd much rather get a better hitbox on chemical love and general movement speed increases.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Sol seems philosophically to be built like a high-risk high-reward character but he can also get 50% damage or more off of a blind DP so it never feels like you can ever press an advantage at any point in the match.

High Risk/High Reward except they forgot the first part.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Also I'd say that Sol was never intended to be a high risk character, he's always in every game been this all-rounder type character with a more aggressive edge to him and above average health. The issue is that instead of making him pretty good at everything they made him fuckin great at everything and also incredible damage output too.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Let's see:
a) Great frame data (e.g. 5k is 3 frames startup, 5p is 4 frames startup, c.s and f.s are plus on block)
b) Great sweep, (2d is low profile/invulnerable from 5f to 24f)
c) Volcanic viper is an invulnerable meterless reversal with super short recovery time
d) Night raid vortex has iframes and phases through attacks - can be extended too.
e) Fafnir is loving +11 on block
f) Heavy cemetery is invulnerable after frame 14 and is a throw.

Sol doesn't actually seem that bad until you play the VIP ones, then he turns into frame trap the character.

I think he has too many moves with invulnerable frames and that are plus on block. If I could hit him back without him deciding to be invulnerable whenever he wants it wouldn't be so bad.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Failed to obtain Duel Station information.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
5k is -7 but it's also jump cancellable :mrgw:

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C6ffBfHg08

Like with Ram and most top tier characters in fighting games, yeah it's that they have so many options and they're not that hard to do. It's hard for him to be at a real disadvantage and he can convert just about any stray hit into half your life or more.

exquisite tea posted:

Chipp's the high risk high reward character. Sol's their "hey this is what guilty gear is about" character and they just went too hard on letting him do everything. edit: Like no one here even mentioned he has pretty good kara cancel options on top of everything else he does.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 20, 2021

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Yeah I'd say my biggest beefs with Sol is that he can just jab you out of pressure cuz he's got some of the fastest normals in the game, that he gets massive damage off stray confirms, and it's hell to get him off you

Did you burst him away? Well guess what, here comes Night Raid Vortex from across the screen and it's fast as hell and also covers top to bottom. Does he have meter? Well guess what, you're about to eat a wall break combo from a mile away, baby!

e: Ram is also obnoxious to me and has one of the easiest wall break combos in the game it looks like and you can't burst it because you're 30 feet in the air so you just get punished

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

dprk -i juche.deb posted:

It's not that bad, after j.D you can do j.236H~H j.P j.P (land) 6H 214K to get OK damage and a wallstick in the corner, or end early to keep them cornered and go for another mixup. You don't get much damage midscreen, but you can get decent corner carry with j.236H. And anywhere on the screen you can get big damage or big plus frames if you cancel into ultimate fortissimo after j.D. If we're asking for I-No buffs I'd much rather get a better hitbox on chemical love and general movement speed increases.

Yeah, that's true. I just miss j.D leading to big damage to make them really fear the double or triple overhead. Then again to get truly wild with it we'd need to get vcl back and that won't happen. Vcl would be nice though just for the block pressure with early rc, if it functioned like earlier games at least

The CL hitbox is definitely terrible. Movement speed buffs would be huge, but I suspect they don't really want her as mobile as previous games. I'd take the ridiculous vertical dash stuff from Rev2 as compensation however

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Anyone else who uses keyboard with Strive find that Enter sometimes changes the window instead of pulling up the pause menu after you finish a match? It's happened like three times just recently and I don't know why the gently caress that happens. Alt isn't stuck, I tried that.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Skypie posted:

Yeah I'd say my biggest beefs with Sol is that he can just jab you out of pressure cuz he's got some of the fastest normals in the game, that he gets massive damage off stray confirms, and it's hell to get him off you

Did you burst him away? Well guess what, here comes Night Raid Vortex from across the screen and it's fast as hell and also covers top to bottom. Does he have meter? Well guess what, you're about to eat a wall break combo from a mile away, baby!

e: Ram is also obnoxious to me and has one of the easiest wall break combos in the game it looks like and you can't burst it because you're 30 feet in the air so you just get punished

Night Raid Vortex is super punishable on block and only really useful for callouts or with meter. Ram can make her combos entirely burst safe if she’s got swords up but she sacrifices a bit of damage to do it and has very limited defensive options without meter

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Anyone else who uses keyboard with Strive find that Enter sometimes changes the window instead of pulling up the pause menu after you finish a match? It's happened like three times just recently and I don't know why the gently caress that happens. Alt isn't stuck, I tried that.

You aren't accidentally pressing Alt+Enter perchance?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Skypie posted:

If Sol is actually doing night raid vortex from like full screen get in the habit of sweeping him. A lot of Sols who are less good to that move raw thinking that it's totally safe and it's super not. Like 100% they can call out pokes with it by dashing under a lot of stuff but there's moves that can stop it and you can also block it. I actually deliberately use Giganter Kai against Sols sometimes to bait them into doing it because they think I don't know he can vortex under the mirror so I can punish them.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Against bad rams mindlessly throwing swords in blockstrings you can literally just walk or jump out of the explosion as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlQ8Tahs4PA

Ram is real good, but a lot of people don't realize how fake her corner pressure can be and end up stuck for way too long

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Jack Trades posted:

You aren't accidentally pressing Alt+Enter perchance?

That's definitely what's happening, but it's only Enter at a time - it seems to be detecting that Alt is held down when it actually isn't. Weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I love ram players that just round start throw all their swords and then

https://youtu.be/iemdGe4UAWM