Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

KoldPT posted:

anyone ever have issues with "club spending levels on staff are already high" not letting you hire anyone good? i'm playing a paok game and in 2025 i can't hire any coach over 4* . won four titles and got at least to the group stage of the CL every time, but with this staff thing i'm spending 100 million euros on wonderkids and can't renew my HOYD's contract lol

Nope there is gently caress-all you can do about it short of cheating via the editor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birds
Jun 28, 2008

gently caress, my Charlotte FC save is corrupted. I do have auto save on but none of the save files I have are working. I'm pretty bummed about all that time I put into it but moving forward, how can I prevent this?

I'm playing on a Mac and I always make sure I quit the game through the menu after saving and not force quitting it.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Not sure if this says more about me, or FM:

Started a new save as Hertha - chill Board expectations (mid-table), a side good enough to get there, some cash in the bank, biggest team in Berlin, etc.

Set up a vanilla 4-2-3-1 with 2 attacking roles (Trequartista at AML, AF at striker).
No instructions whatsoever (individual/opposition/team), to let the players play and not risk conflicting instructions. I'm also curious to see what they do with their freedom.

Bought one 16 year old Spanish kid from Barcelona to be my future AM for 375k as my only transfer.

We're now 3rd in the league after 24 played. My striker (Piatek) has 15 goals in 21 and my trequartista has 11 goals, 6 assists in 23.

I'd like to see if I can turn Hertha into one of the "big" clubs, then maybe try a different tactic without instructions to see if I can replicate these results.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

brb gonna try a 5-5-0 with no instructions

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
W M no instructions LP when

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

brb gonna try a 5-5-0 with no instructions

Trip report: Lost 2-1 at Old Trafford

Shroud
May 11, 2009
One thing I've really noticed in this edition is that tactical familiarity makes a huge difference. I can play like Guardiola's Barcelona with my main tactic (not really, but good to watch), but when I switch to another formation, I see football that would shame an U13 side.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah but if you stick to the same tactic all season you'll get murdered in the spring.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah but if you stick to the same tactic all season you'll get murdered in the spring.

Funny you should say that...

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Shroud posted:

One thing I've really noticed in this edition is that tactical familiarity makes a huge difference. I can play like Guardiola's Barcelona with my main tactic (not really, but good to watch), but when I switch to another formation, I see football that would shame an U13 side.

It's been the case for a few years where hammering familiarity in a single formation during that first preseason will see you overperform almost regardless of what that tactic is, because the ai is incapable of getting its players up to speed to nearly the same degree (too much physical training. That's English coders for you). They catch up during the season with more games played though, and by the time the reputation reshuffle happens around the new year it's not a given that your team will have an advantage any more. That's when you earn your corn as a manager.

AI teams that sack managers regularly and buy/sell a lot of players will always struggle as they're always battling to gain familiarity.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Playing very long saves, I have definitely noticed that like half the teams in the world or more fall into ruts from which they never escape, where they turn into Chelsea and go years and years without ever having a manager stay longer than a year and a half, either treading water mid-lower table in whatever league they're in or drifting ever downward into oblivion. I'd never thought about it from that angle, but it could well be the usual fate of any team with a low Patience owner when combined with the way the AI lags at tactical familiarity. It would also explain why a human manager can so often take over such a team and quickly get it performing super well even with little-to-no player turnover.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Trip report - got found out. Form has taken a nosedive. Do I just change formation now?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Let me guess, it's January?

And yes, basically figure out a tactic that does the opposite of your current one in every way.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Shroud posted:

Trip report - got found out. Form has taken a nosedive. Do I just change formation now?

Generally when you overperform the AI will kick their appreciation of your footballing power up one notch. Which means they will sit back more and play more slowly. This is called "defensive" in FM but it's probably closer to what the top sides do in real life - patient build play designed to break down stubborn stains ("attacking" is more like Bielsa's Leeds, or playground football). It's why people will complain about relegation-battlers looking like Barcelona when they play them. It can be hard to get the ball and supposedly awful teams will discover gaps in your system you didn't know were there because they were previously just chucking it forward expecting to batter you. If you were chucking it forward before you suddenly find an extra man or two in the way and your rare attacks come to nothing.

The method I use to overcome a slump caused by overperforming is to 1) play slower (usually just the tempo setting, I don't touch overall mentality) and 2) move one player further forward. In my last career I started with a basic 5-3-2, but midseason moved one centre half to AML and dropped the wingbacks into a back 4 (but still with the same roles). Because the opposition were committing fewer bodies forward early I didn't need the extra defender, but did need the extra man to build attacks and run at people, and also press players on the ball.

This concept also works the same for game management. If I go a goal ahead I can drop a man back and play faster as I know the opposition will push forward and leave spaces. If I concede early I need to push higher and be more patient as they're likely to park the bus.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
Just getting into 21 after the steam sale, is it me or the individual statistics kind of messed up this year? The 'dribbles' seem way off what they were from last version or any real life measurement and the individual ratings seem to be in a really narrow band on my teams, possibly related to the former thing. Like strikers with 30+ goals on me team are right around 7 like everyone else on the team

joe football fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 13, 2021

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
Double post whoops

Shroud
May 11, 2009

sassassin posted:

Generally when you overperform the AI will kick their appreciation of your footballing power up one notch. Which means they will sit back more and play more slowly. This is called "defensive" in FM but it's probably closer to what the top sides do in real life - patient build play designed to break down stubborn stains ("attacking" is more like Bielsa's Leeds, or playground football). It's why people will complain about relegation-battlers looking like Barcelona when they play them. It can be hard to get the ball and supposedly awful teams will discover gaps in your system you didn't know were there because they were previously just chucking it forward expecting to batter you. If you were chucking it forward before you suddenly find an extra man or two in the way and your rare attacks come to nothing.

The method I use to overcome a slump caused by overperforming is to 1) play slower (usually just the tempo setting, I don't touch overall mentality) and 2) move one player further forward. In my last career I started with a basic 5-3-2, but midseason moved one centre half to AML and dropped the wingbacks into a back 4 (but still with the same roles). Because the opposition were committing fewer bodies forward early I didn't need the extra defender, but did need the extra man to build attacks and run at people, and also press players on the ball.

This concept also works the same for game management. If I go a goal ahead I can drop a man back and play faster as I know the opposition will push forward and leave spaces. If I concede early I need to push higher and be more patient as they're likely to park the bus.

Thanks for the advice! I'm running a generic 4-2-3-1, though. If I push someone up, I'll get slaughtered.

Thinking of pulling the AMC down to an MC. Or switching to the 4-1-2-3.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Shroud posted:

Thanks for the advice! I'm running a generic 4-2-3-1, though. If I push someone up, I'll get slaughtered.

As an alternate to the 4231 I like to run what I guess is best described as a 4123, although I think the match engine will call it a 4-1-2-2-1. Same back 4, but pull the already deepest CM into a DM position, and pull the AM into CM but with all the same instructions so they're still filling the same role but starting slightly deeper. Depending on your style of play you might need to insist on the wingers then staying a bit wider, as they'll naturally try and fill the gap in the AM area rather than letting that same player make runs from deeper into that space.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I usually roll with a positive base four-four-loving-two and mix in some defensive/countering 4-1-4-1, along with an occasional super vanilla 4-2-3-1 and some weirder stuff. Players bitch regularly in the prematch briefings about the formation changes but it seems to do a lot to soften the annual winter/spring slump. (Also in the news feed I'm always a Tactical Genius when my side wins and an Unstuck Tinkerer when it loses. Always.)

Important caveat, I actually have no idea what I'm doing except I know that pressing like maniacs is always good and easing up on it is just turning up the game's difficulty slider.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 13, 2021

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

I've developed a formation that's now my go-to in both FM and FIFA, and I only happened on it when I took a job at some garbage Serie B team in like FM17 and had to make the most of their few passable players. It's got enough creativity in it to score goals, but is also defensively pretty sound, and it seems to work well enough in pretty much every match engine.

I don't remember the exact instructions for it, but it's basically a 4-1-3-2:
Goalkeeper: I normally have them as a Sweeper Keeper - Support, but so long as they're not constantly rooted to their line you can do whatever here.
Back 4: Just a regular flat back 4, with full backs set to support. They'll be expected to get up and down, but you'll be better off having players that can defend than having converted wingers here.
DM: This is the ball winner. I usually use a BWM-D here, and his role is basically to run all around that area just kicking people and laying it off to someone close by. They'll want to cover ground laterally rather than vertically. Think Kante, Busquets, et al.
CMs: You've got 3 CMs all in a line here. The central one of them is your lynchpin. He won't win loads of challenges, he won't drive forward lots with the ball, but he'll screen the midfield third and then find someone to either carry it forward or will ping the ball forward to find someone in space. It's a really useful role if you've got an aging star in midfield, as they don't need loads of running, just technical ability. I play this as a DLP-S, but you can set them to a more defensive role or slightly more attacking as a box-to-box depending on how you want your team to play, and who's available to play there.
The outer 2 CMs function as auxiliary wingers. These are powerful runners, willing to track back, cover the full backs, and win tackles. They don't really need to be great passers, but it obviously doesn't hurt. At a high level we're talking about a Matuidi or a Sissoko here. I set them to AP-A, and then give them extra instructions to run wide with the ball and to get further forward, which gets them into those wide spaces. In the defensive phase they'll drop back in to give extra solidity in midfield, and given that deeper starting position will naturally shuffle over to cover the FB. It's a good idea to have them be at least competent in the tackle, as they'll be running back to win the ball more often than you'd expect from a winger.
Strikers: I don't think it really matters, quite honestly. I normally use a CF-A and an AF-A, but that's just cos I like to have a big man little man combo with one of them as a creator and one a finisher. You can run whatever partnership you like here, and so long as one of them has a decent workrate then you can get away with them pretty much not having any defensive responsibility.

It converts pretty easily into a 4231 if you want to change it up, by moving the outer CMs into the wide areas, dropping the creative striker back into the AM role, and moving the DM alongside the last CM.

e. I didn't really talk about team instructions, but I normally play a possession game at a slightly higher tempo than default, and tell anyone with good dribbling to run with the ball whenever possible. You can change it around to taste pretty easily though without any major gaps in the formation starting to appear.

Bogan Krkic fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jul 13, 2021

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Move the strikers back to AM and you might be onto something there

e: is it just me or was dribbling past defenders nerfed so hard that it's not really a useful thing for even the best dribblers to do anymore? Seems like 95% of the time when a guy goes past his man with the ball he then just stands there like a dumbass until the defender gets back into position. I mean I do the same thing and instruct the best dribblers to dribble but I don't think it actually results in scoring chances hardly at all. At least not from the wings.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Going full strikerless with that setup could be real rad, just a million dudes running at pace from deep

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Shroud posted:

The basic 4-2-3-1 is what I go to when I'm the biggest team in the land. Lots of men forward early, pressing high so the defensive sides can't build their cautious play into my half. I've not managed to make a dedicated AMC player work in any other circumstance for years. Offensively a wrong-footed, dribbling Mezzala is going to do more. The only benefit is when you want that player higher and in space out of possession/in transition.

The difficulty with 4-2-3-1 can be getting enough players into the box. Deep, narrow defences will deal with a lone centre forward with ease. Be ambitious with the roles/duties of your other attacking players now they have less need to track back defensively. Play a little wider and a little slower.

If you're conceding more try narrowing your own defence. Scared sides attack with less width so overlaps and crosses become less of a concern.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
I've been doing 4-2-3-1 with a DLF for a few seasons now and it works really well (PAOK, six league wins in a row and a champions semi-finalist at best). The most success I found with it was having two inside forwards set to attacking, the CM duo as carrilero - dlf and the AM as attacking playmaker. the left back is set to fb to be a little more defensive and compensate for the carrilero

this does however mean i get "the forward hasn't scored in ten hours" events every now and then, because that's not really his job

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
Sometimes you sign a guy just because of his name. Welcome aboard, Konstyantyn Kaos. You'll have to retrain as a marauding fullback, obviously.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Konstyantyn Kaos needs to be a sweeper keeper with 20 eccentricity

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Free role.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Trequartista with 1 in Decisions.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

This kid might be one of the weirdest players I've come across in my save.
Limited Technical ability, limited Mental attributes, but some very good Physical attributes.
My scout gave him a 96 rating and he's wanted by a raft of very good clubs but... I have no idea what I'd do with him if I signed him.

Weird.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

lol "realist" personality.

Regardless of his personality though, every time I've signed this type of player I've regretted it. Just an endless stream of 6.4-6.6 ratings is all I ever get from them, regardless of position. The awful mentals (especially 8 Anticipation, :barf:) really hamstring players in this match engine it seems. Would have been pretty awesome as an attacking mid in FM18.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
he would absolutely tear up lower leagues just based on those physicals but in a top league (even in somewhere like Belgium) you want your players to be actually good at something, and he just isn’t

he’s an insanely fast and agile player who can’t dribble, cross or shoot, and wherever you put him that 8 decisions is going to really hurt

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

kingturnip posted:

This kid might be one of the weirdest players I've come across in my save.
Limited Technical ability, limited Mental attributes, but some very good Physical attributes.
My scout gave him a 96 rating and he's wanted by a raft of very good clubs but... I have no idea what I'd do with him if I signed him.

Weird.

He's a deep-lying playmaker but would do a great job as a wingback for most sides who aren't lumping it into the box at every opportunity.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Is there a centre mid only-presses no playmaking ever short passes only role in FM2021? Cause he could probably do that to a tee

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Slotducks posted:

Is there a centre mid only-presses no playmaking ever short passes only role in FM2021? Cause he could probably do that to a tee

BWM-D.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

No matter what role you put him in he's going to do an endless series of dumb poo poo, with 8 Decisions and 8 Concentration (and 13 Flair probably exacerbates the problem as it just makes him more likely to ignore instructions and do whatever his addled little 8 Decisions brain decides is a good idea)

e: it might just be confirmation bias but I've always had the feeling high Flair works super well when combined with high Decisions and Vision, but if a player doesn't have both those things then low Flair is better.

OK it almost certainly is confirmation bias because that would be intuitive and since when is anything in FM intuitive?

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 20, 2021

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

I just want to say - it's refreshing to see a centre mid/attacking mid/winger regen become afflicted with the Useless trait that afflicts 80% of Fullbacks and Wingbacks in 5+ Year saves.

You know the ones, 17s in speed but 7s in techniques like technique, crossing, and dribbling or the ones with 18 crossing, 17 corners, and a pace and acceleration of a 1995 renault clio

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Slotducks posted:

I just want to say - it's refreshing to see a centre mid/attacking mid/winger regen become afflicted with the Useless trait that afflicts 80% of Fullbacks and Wingbacks in 5+ Year saves.

You know the ones, 17s in speed but 7s in techniques like technique, crossing, and dribbling or the ones with 18 crossing, 17 corners, and a pace and acceleration of a 1995 renault clio

The first one is Aaron Lennon and the second one is Charlie Adam.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

sebzilla posted:

The first one is Aaron Lennon and the second one is Charlie Adam.

Theo Walcott makes a good claim for the first too.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'm still disoriented and slowly adjusting to a world where the Crossing stat matters, it frightens and confuses me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Masonity posted:

Theo Walcott makes a good claim for the first too.

Yall remember when the engine favoured pace that Theo was a goal scoring machine scoring 20 goals a season? Good times.