Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

That person has forfeited their right to have a desk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

goatface posted:

Stop discriminating against people who can't stand up for extended periods.

Hold your stand-up in a vertical drinking establishment like God intended.

There are actual chairs available, fwiw, and if he had any issues standing whatsoever I wouldn't have even considered it. I have issues standing thanks to bone growth in my knees and can fully sympathize with that.

It ain't the case here. Everyone has a chair. Including the (very athletic) manager choosing to sit on people's desks instead.

I can't tell how serious the first half is so ignore me if you're just setting up the second half joke.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Synergizing the work streams with an out of the box sit down stand up.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I thought management had exhausted their limit of buzzwords but then someone mentioned introducing Kanban for Kids into their family.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I thought management had exhausted their limit of buzzwords but then someone mentioned introducing Kanban for Kids into their family.

You laugh, but I've heard of a couple people who do that and it actually works well. It's just a tool to give structure to kids.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

SkyeAuroline posted:

There are actual chairs available, fwiw, and if he had any issues standing whatsoever I wouldn't have even considered it. I have issues standing thanks to bone growth in my knees and can fully sympathize with that.

It ain't the case here. Everyone has a chair. Including the (very athletic) manager choosing to sit on people's desks instead.

I can't tell how serious the first half is so ignore me if you're just setting up the second half joke.

Has nobody spoken up about how long these meetings take?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Elephant Ambush posted:

Has nobody spoken up about how long these meetings take?

Yes. We have. "It's team building" bullshit is the response every time.
These used to be emails once a day that took 15 seconds tops to compose. Now it's this.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
gently caress I hate when they use "team building" this way. In order for it to be a "team building" activity, it needs to be actually fun, otherwise it is exactly the opposite. "Every time I get together with these people, I have a bad time" is not an association you want to forge.

- team building lunch
- team building escape room
- team building axe throwing (I can't believe we were allowed to do this)
- team building amogus/codenames/ultimate chicken horse/etc
- team building happy hour, literally bring a drink to this meeting if you drink and we'll shoot the poo poo about MCU movies or whatever

it's not that complicated you dumbfucks

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I suppose being forced to do something miserable with your coworkers is team-building in the same sense that POWs feel a strong sense of comradery and solidarity with their fellow prisoners, but this may not be the type of "team" attitude management intended to foster.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Resigned.

New job almost doubles my current pay.

Current manager is not making me serve my 90 days notice, just 2 weeks.

:yotj::yotj::yotj:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Steakandchips posted:

Resigned.

:hellyeah:

Congrats!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Thanks. Really looking forward to starting the new one (mainly for the ££££££s).

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Really happy for all the goons who have managed to improve their work and job situations recently

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I will say i haven't been able to improve my job situation monitarily but the feeling of freedom to really tell my bosses my opinion without fear of losing my job since they can't afford to replace me as the supply of people is so small due to paying poo poo is pretty liberating.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Steakandchips posted:

Resigned.

congraturitos

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one
Anyone here know a UK employment lawyer that wouldn’t mind having a chat with a mate of mine? She’s an academic and a load of bullshit’s gone down with her employment and medical condition and needs some advice, neither of us know where to turn to.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Hexyflexy posted:

Anyone here know a UK employment lawyer that wouldn’t mind having a chat with a mate of mine? She’s an academic and a load of bullshit’s gone down with her employment and medical condition and needs some advice, neither of us know where to turn to.

Where in the country? I can maybe point you in the direction of where to see who to speak to.

e: PM if you’d prefer.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

kntfkr posted:

It was two full time jobs. It was to rake in cash because I needed too and could. I've been lucky enough to have a remote job since March 2020, it's maybe 5-10 hours of actual work per week. So I got a second job, locally, in April to help with the debt, fifteen hundred a month childcare for our three year old and put away $ before second child is born in February. Both jobs had the exact same salary. When I interviewed I said I could take this lowered salary on the basis that I'd keep my other laptop open during the day and it wouldn't take too much of my time.

I completed all my tasks ahead of schedule BUT

On a busy day, I got enough phone calls to piss off my new job boss and having a second laptop open on my desk became a point of contention for her. She emailed me about it for the second time yesterday and I walked off site. I came in this morning and was locked out of email. It was totally a decorum thing. There was never any need to be on-site for this job to begin with.

I'm done with offices.

I am now applying for fully remote jobs

oh, interesting. yes, gently caress working from office. I would have just done the other job from a different browser etc. if you could, but I guess some places have monitoring software and actually look at what staff are doing. My jobs have never had time for anyone to monitor our browser use. But anyway, I'm working from home and it was a recent bilateral move, so no pay increase, but the conditions are so much better I would have taken a pay cut. Now I just do the work to achieve my goals that we agreed on, and work on my other personal projects on the side. If I ever have to go back to working ffrom office it's going to be a hard stone to swallow.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Lascivious Sloth posted:

oh, interesting. yes, gently caress working from office. I would have just done the other job from a different browser etc. if you could, but I guess some places have monitoring software and actually look at what staff are doing. My jobs have never had time for anyone to monitor our browser use. But anyway, I'm working from home and it was a recent bilateral move, so no pay increase, but the conditions are so much better I would have taken a pay cut. Now I just do the work to achieve my goals that we agreed on, and work on my other personal projects on the side. If I ever have to go back to working ffrom office it's going to be a hard stone to swallow.

Yeah, I had considered just opening Office in a browser or setting up original company's email on my phone but I was already disliking the 5 day commute (since I got hired "post covid" there was no move to remote consideration for me) and I got the impression that this woman straight up wouldn't like me no matter how much I improved their SEO.

On the plus side, I got 2.5 months of checks out of them and now I know how easy it is to stack 9-5's in CPG operations and I plan on getting right back on the multiple salary wagon right away but fully remote.

Oh and boss woman thought she'd be non confrontational by showing up an hour later today and having someone else fire me but she was driving in as I was leaving and so I got to give her a nice out the window finger as we passed which gave the rest of a day a nice shove this jay oh bee kinda lighthearted vibe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyxoLqbFDkI

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

@kntfkr

My advice on that one: Google Chrome Remote Desktop. The thing is a lifesaver. I have a work laptop but now that I'm working from home I just gently caress around on YouTube and games all day on my desktop, and if I ever have to do something for my real job, I just use the remote desktop viewer. You could probably install it on your office PC for the other job's laptop and run the con that way.

I know you said you were thinking about quitting regardless but you might be able to swing it that way for the cash until you figure out what you wanna do.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

AHH F/UGH posted:

@kntfkr

My advice on that one: Google Chrome Remote Desktop. The thing is a lifesaver. I have a work laptop but now that I'm working from home I just gently caress around on YouTube and games all day on my desktop, and if I ever have to do something for my real job, I just use the remote desktop viewer. You could probably install it on your office PC for the other job's laptop and run the con that way.

I know you said you were thinking about quitting regardless but you might be able to swing it that way for the cash until you figure out what you wanna do.

I do this the opposite way. When I'm on WFH, I sit at my work laptop and remote into my personal desktop, do any personal computer use on my own PC that way, while still keeping my status green on Teams and being ready to answer any messages/emails instantly, and not leaving any browser history on my work laptop. I mean sure if they were REALLY watching me specifically I'd still be screwed, but they'd only do that if they'd already decided to fire me anyway so :shrug:

Imagined fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 20, 2021

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
The impact of a significant pay increase cannot be overstated. Like, if you were just making ends meet, now you've got leeway, and if you were running out your paychecks, now you can't do that as easily without finding new expensive hobbies. It is a phenomenal mood boost day to day.

My new job doesn't have my old job's three hundred dollar "wellness allowance" (money your boss can say no to giving you if they disagree with what you're spending it on) or its work related costs claims system (see above) or its free printing (actually good), it just pays a thousand dollars more per month. I've started getting into board games and I'd have to buy a lot of them before I started to hit my old work's pay baseline.

"Money won't make you happy" is a lie rich people tell poor people because they know the poor people aren't happy.

Somfin fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 20, 2021

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Somfin posted:

The impact of a significant pay increase cannot be overstated. Like, if you were just making ends meet, now you've got leeway, and if you were running out your paychecks, now you can't do that as easily without finding new expensive hobbies. It is a phenomenal mood boost day to day.

My new job doesn't have my old job's three hundred dollar "wellness allowance" (money your boss can say no to giving you if they disagree with what you're spending it on) or its work related costs claims system (see above) or its free printing (actually good), it just pays a thousand dollars more per month. I've started getting into board games and I'd have to buy a lot of them before I started to hit my old work's pay baseline.

"Money won't make you happy" is a lie rich people tell poor people because they know the poor people aren't happy.

Absolutely.

When I accepted a job at another company and my boss at my current company came over the top with a 25% raise and profit sharing just to keep me, I went from socking a little bit of money away to finally actually building a stockpile that I refuse to dip into.

I really need to actually get with a financial planner to make this money do some work for me.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Somfin posted:

It's not a total lie, but it's better to say not having money can cause unhappiness. You can be unhappy while also having money, it's just going to be about a much smaller subset of things than poor people will be upset about.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Somfin posted:

The impact of a significant pay increase cannot be overstated. Like, if you were just making ends meet, now you've got leeway, and if you were running out your paychecks

I feel seen

Somfin posted:

You speak da tru tru

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Money itself doesn’t give happiness but it sure does pay for poo poo that does

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

And more importantly prevents things that make you unhappy

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Money helps get rid of the bullshit that makes you unhappy.

Also someone in management got mad because of this yearly survey comment:

"We can't eat prestige, pay us more you fucks!"

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

AHH F/UGH posted:

And more importantly prevents things that make you unhappy

It reduces stress and anxiety for drat sure. And that for sure makes happiness a lot easier.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Azuth0667 posted:

"We can't eat prestige, pay us more you fucks!"

Thread title right here

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Somfin posted:

I can't comprehend people who only make ends meet without saving. 1/5 of my monthly goes to rent, the rest is food/drinks/entertainment, small amount to private health care insurance, fuel costs, and savings. Although.. i don't own a house, and dont have much in retirement funds :(

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Lascivious Sloth posted:

I can't comprehend people who only make ends meet without saving. 1/5 of my monthly goes to rent

lol

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
Is the lol because thats not much, or a lot?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
You either make gently caress you money or live in a refrigerator box.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
Oh I see. My USD rent is 1k and my salary is approx. 5k+ after taxes, per month. Whats a normal rent versus monthly salary (after taxes) in US?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
A lot of people are happy to clear 1/2 to 1/3 with dual income.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Lascivious Sloth posted:

I can't comprehend people who only make ends meet without saving. 1/5 of my monthly goes to rent, the rest is food/drinks/entertainment, small amount to private health care insurance, fuel costs, and savings.

I was born, raised and live in a relatively expensive area in general and I have nowhere else to go. My wife is an immigrant who can't work so I have two mouths to feed on $20/hour (so it's $10 per person, but actually it's more like 7.50 an hour per person after taxes), and the option to "just move" isn't really a thing when your account hits $0 with 2-3 days until payday each month anyways so you're left eating mayonnaise and sriracha sandwiches and you're not doing anything except watching YouTube because the idea of taking a vacation or buying a new fancy thing is so hilariously out of reach

This isn't as uncommon as you might think. The idea of making $5000 net or gross income per month seems impossibly hilarious.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
It's been scientifically proven that more money DOES equal more happiness UNTIL you get to more than about (the equivalent of) $75,000 USD per year. After that, more money will not generally make you happier if you weren't already. My guess would be that anything less than $75,000/year in most of the US involves some level of compromise or anxiety in terms of wants/needs.* I wouldn't know, but I do know that even at $50,000/year (the most I ever made) in one of the lowest cost-of-living parts of the country, there were still things we had to put off/do without/stress about.

*Yes I know that someone who lives in San Francisco is going to @ me about this, which is why I was careful to say things like "generally" "equivalent" and "most"

Imagined fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 21, 2021

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

AHH F/UGH posted:

I was born, raised and live in a relatively expensive area in general and I have nowhere else to go. My wife is an immigrant who can't work so I have two mouths to feed on $20/hour (so it's $10 per person, but actually it's more like 7.50 an hour per person after taxes), and the option to "just move" isn't really a thing when your account hits $0 with 2-3 days until payday each month anyways so you're left eating mayonnaise and sriracha sandwiches and you're not doing anything except watching YouTube because the idea of taking a vacation or buying a new fancy thing is so hilariously out of reach

This isn't as uncommon as you might think. The idea of making $5000 net or gross income per month seems impossibly hilarious.

oh drat, sorry, I didn't realise. I'm not from US, but I do live in a war-zone, so cost of living and rent are low.

zedprime posted:

A lot of people are happy to clear 1/2 to 1/3 with dual income.

:smithmouth:

Lascivious Sloth fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > Dumb poo poo your work does - We can't eat prestige, pay us more you fucks!