Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Now it’s true there’s all that vague world building stuff that only teases interesting poo poo in the coffee table lore book but how much of that was even written by GRRM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

GRRM clearly gives no fucks, YiTi was completely made up by those two weird superfans and means nothing.

I hate the word cope now since copium etc, but I can't think of a better one. Delusion?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oh there's a 0% chance it was written by him or even taken from his "notes" and if you believe otherwise then you must think the Six Flags guy was an actual old man:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbXSbP-wEFU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

kaworu posted:

Stephen King also had a similar issue with books 5-7 of The Dark Tower, I'd argue - that one also fell apart somewhat - though unlike GRRM, he seemed to become preoccupied with rushing to a conclusion and finishing the series for better or worse expeditiously.

In all three cases (GRRM, Rowling, King) I'd argue that a big part of the problem was the sheer length of time that it takes to write epic fantasy - its very difficult, as a writer, to maintain a consistent tone and tell a great story over such a tremendously long span of years and pages. It's a very difficult task to pull off, and I feel like they all tried to force the process, in a way, and failed in various ways because they refused to accept such changes organically.

Other people have already commented on Rowling's various problems but King to me is the more interesting case because he was already mellowing in the 90s and then getting hit by a van pretty much shook all the remaining nihilism out of him, which made it difficult for him to really pick up the thread of the Dark Tower series even though he very clearly wanted to finish it as his "magnum opus" in case he croaked prematurely. Beyond just being very cringey and badly plotted books 5-7 were just going through the motions - all the major events were contrived such that it seemed like King didn't really believe in the endings but felt that he had to deliver something sufficiently dark to try and match the oeuvre of the first 4 books. Even Roland's true ending is much more positive than what one might expect - a punishment to be sure but one that has some promise of ending and that indicates that the problem isn't that Roland is fundamentally bad (and he is) so much as being influenced by the necessities of a flawed and dying world. On top of that all the various "Dark Tower as the hinge of the multiverse" stuff feels immensely forced and hollow by books 5-7, like King doesn't really care for the idea anymore but he's made his bed so might as well run with it.

The inclusion of the Harry Potter stuff in DT book 5 is so bad that I could barely read through it the first time. King was clearly enraptured with the idea of this supposedly whimsical children's adventure story (and the widespread adoration lauded on the author) that he jams a bunch of references into his own story, never mind how discordant it is within the world that he has created. It was just so loving dumb.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

To be fair, I feel like Harry Potter is deep and amazing, just, like, by accident. It really is one of the most incredible and insightful depictions of late 90s End of History nonsense and of the Liberal Centrist mindset. Like if we didn't have tweets upon tweets of Rowling being a myopic bigot and lots of interviews of her being dumb, I sincerely and honestly believe future generations - if we manage to last that long as a species which lol at this point - would probably think Harry Potter was a brilliant and scathing satire on the level of A Modest Proposal.

:hmmyes:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

Oh there's a 0% chance it was written by him or even taken from his "notes" and if you believe otherwise then you must think the Six Flags guy was an actual old man:

I mean as a kid I thought the Six Flags guy was a really spry old dude, yeah.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

mind the walrus posted:

Cut footage of pycelle

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Sephyr posted:

Which, make no mistake, -was- a bit of a thing. 30% of the west german judges post WW2 were former member sof the nazi party, and a lot of other figures got a pass. But I don't think that was the point she was going for. Hell, even after their Magic World War THREE she lets the nazi family just walk into the sunset, because hey, their kids are gonna study with my kids in the future! Time is an endless repetition!

Don't forget the complete pass that some of those kids, who either directly murdered people or helped do so, got a free pass. Though that sounds about right for a society who teaches its first year tween-aged students how to do stuff like how to make super date rape drugs love potions and has no problem not only telling kids about 3 extremely bad and powerful curses, but show them how to cast Power Word Kill.

The real fantasy is that the wizarding world has never collapsed despite repeatedly handing magical WMDs and mind control powers to actual children.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Now, now.

There's nothing irresponsible in....giving mastery over Time itself to a primary-school student so she can take extra classes. Such a priceless, rare artifact is perfectly safe in a school that has been twice targeted by Arcane hitler in the last 2 years and has a known Death Eater in the faculty, plus the kids of many other Death eaters attending.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

quote:

Whether you think Euron is legit or not, its all but confirmed he is about to attempt a giant ritual blood sacrifice in the hope of summoning something or gaining some power.

Euron's Location During the Blood Sacrifice

In the same vein as Dany's hatching (and potentially Summerhall and Stannis "waking the stone dragon") all of these rituals seemingly involve that character (Dany/Euron/etc.) being amongst it all:

The dreams were even worse the second time. He saw the longships of the Ironborn adrift and burning on a boiling blood-red sea. -TWOW, The Forsaken

and like the funeral pyre:

“Your Grace,” said Torwold Browntooth. “I have the priests. What do you want done with them?”

“Bind them to the prows,” Euron commanded. “My brother on the Silence. -TWOW, The Forsaken

Euron is going to be aboard the Silence during all of this (unless he abandons ship at the last minute or Euron is using a glass candle or Aeron is still feeling the effects of the Shade of the Evening and doesn't actually know whats going on).

So if Euron is going to pull a Dany during this ritual, he is either going to come out of it:

Dead

Summoning beasts can be deadly for the unworthy. Just ask Quentyn Martell.

Astride some Beast

He could be summoning anything from kraken(s), to a dragon/sea dragon (Nagga), the "drowned god", Deep Ones (don't expect it), or even a Cthulhu type monster.

From a smoking tower, a great stone beast took wing, breathing shadow fire.

A Beast Himself

Euron seems like he is trying to become a "god":

These are the last days, when the world shall be broken and remade. A new god shall be born from the graves and charnel pits -TWOW, The Forsaken

and:

He saw his brother on the Iron Throne again, but Euron was no longer human. He seemed more squid than man, a monster fathered by a kraken of the deep, his face a mass of writhing tentacles. -TWOW, The Forsaken

The Silence is somehow spared

I find this least likely. I could see Euron being spared (like Dany on the pyre) alone, but not the ship/everyone aboard. (Euron's sacrifice/kingsblood/etc. are all aboard).

Hightower Interference

The Battle of Blood should occur between the Ironborn ships and the Redwyne Fleet. That said the next logical point is Oldtown/The Hightowers.

Since Lord Hightower has been doing who knows what gazing into a glass candle atop the tower for the last decade, its at least possible they are prepared.

What Happens Next?

Which POV will we read the next part of this plotline from? GRRM indicate that he wasn't implying there was only one Damphair chapter in TWOW:

Question: With the use of the word "the", are you implying that there will only be one Damphair chapter in WINDS?

GRRM: No. -SSM, The Damphair Chapter: 13 June 2016

So we could potentially get another Damphair chapter at least, and then I'm assuming it switches completely to Sam.

TLDR: Since Euron should be aboard the Silence, amidst a giant ritual blood sacrifice, it will be interesting to see what exactly happens to his body afterwards.

If all this is accurate on where the story is headed how does GRRM finish ANYTHING in just 2 more books again?

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Is the book of ice and fire worth it?

It's "only" 23 bucks in Amazon, and I understand it's a nice coffee table book.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Mr. Nemo posted:

I mean, even though I poke a lot of fun at it there is some interesting lore and world building in there. But when you know in the back of your head that none of it is going anywhere it just kind of feels pointless. It’s not about literally every question being answered because that’s almost always bad storytelling too, it’s that we’re gonna get nothing or next to nothing.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I got it for free and I'm not sure it was worth it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I mean it has some pretty art and layouts but so do a lot of nerdy books, and they're not tied to a dead franchise no one respects anymore

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Mr. Nemo posted:

Aren't the people who actually put it together pretty vile? The two hardcore fans that he basically relies on b/c he doesn't care about Westeros have done some troubling things.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

pseudanonymous posted:

Aren't the people who actually put it together pretty vile? The two hardcore fans that he basically relies on b/c he doesn't care about Westeros have done some troubling things.

Yeah they’re very racist Scandinavians.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

pseudanonymous posted:

Yeah the whole thing is fanfic from the westeros.org or whatever nazi couple

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

pseudanonymous posted:

Just wait until you find out who writes the actual books…

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

ASoIaF: they’re very racist Scandinavians.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Evil Fluffy posted:

Every excerpt he's posted has been something he had written by the time ADWD released.

I'm running off the assumption that he had to split the book like other people have said, and I still stand by my theory. I actually feel a little bad for him in the sense that he has to try to work that into a whole new book. I don't feel bad for him due to the fact that he's one of those writers that likes to do zany stuff like compose on a Wordstar* that's as old as I am. Someone asked if he works with an editor and I have to wonder what it's like to have to deal with his writing process in 2021 with some of the largest entertainment corporations breathing down your neck.

*I don't know if he still does this, but I haven't seen anything to say he doesn't.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

I'm running off the assumption that he had to split the book like other people have said, and I still stand by my theory. I actually feel a little bad for him in the sense that he has to try to work that into a whole new book. I don't feel bad for him due to the fact that he's one of those writers that likes to do zany stuff like compose on a Wordstar* that's as old as I am. Someone asked if he works with an editor and I have to wonder what it's like to have to deal with his writing process in 2021 with some of the largest entertainment corporations breathing down your neck.

*I don't know if he still does this, but I haven't seen anything to say he doesn't.

Why would you feel bad for him, he's not working anything into a whole new book. He's building castles and riding choo choo trains ffs

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Don't worry, his editor doesn't have to deal with his writing process.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
So by buying that book on Amazon you give money to GRRM, Jeff Bezos and two nazi's at the same time?

That's a pretty impressive trifecta.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/lukeisamazing/status/1417209496682876936

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Sephyr posted:

I have a funny history with the Harry Potter books. I resisted reading them out of pure "bleh, not gonna feed the hype" snobbery. Then I got really sick during a trip and my girlfriend, who loved them, bought the first three to read with me since we couldn't do anything else, just stay in the hotel room while I recovered.

That made them a bit special, though even then I noted (and joked) that it sure went a long way into making the horrible, soul0killing british boarding school system whimsical and fun. And that the 'fix' for nearly all of issues it presents is "how about YOU get rich and popular?" Also kinda hosed up that the Wizarding version of the post-WW2 period was basically "Welp, Magic Hitler is gone, let's just pardon all these nazi bigshots and return them to positions of power in our society, except for the ones obviously foaming at the mouth."

Which, make no mistake, -was- a bit of a thing. 30% of the west german judges post WW2 were former member sof the nazi party, and a lot of other figures got a pass. But I don't think that was the point she was going for. Hell, even after their Magic World War THREE she lets the nazi family just walk into the sunset, because hey, their kids are gonna study with my kids in the future! Time is an endless repetition!

But mostly, JK's shifting the books into "haha, funny magic shenanigans for kids!" into "Dark meaningful young adult story" was alwaus going to be really hard to pull off, and she still botched it in almost every way imaginable.

I thought the Harry Potter books were excellent escapism, but like, part of it is that you're escaping to a simpler children's world where none of that stuff is acknowledged or understood. Like, okay, the elves are slaves and haha, they actually love being enslaved and Hermione is being silly for wanting them to be freed because being Hogwarts slaves is what's best for them AND THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ANYTHING IN REAL LIFE ITS JUST A FUNNY WHIMSICAL THING DONT THINK ABOUT IT ANY FURTHER.

Like, I watched a Rambo cartoon when I was a kid where Rambo shows up in a helicopter hovering outside the general's office window, and he's like "We're going to fight the bad guys, General, wanna come along?" and the general is like "Heck yeah!" and just hops out of his window into the helicopter and takes off. And it didn't bother to explain who requisitioned the helicopter or why this desk-bound general is immediately ready for a special ops mission or why he just leaves without telling anyone, or why they'd send a general into the field in the first place, or even why Rambo doesn't need to wear a shirt or body armor or anything -- because it's for kids and kids don't think about all that stuff.

I think JKR tried to get away with that sort of warm naive obliviousness but it kinda failed once the characters (and readers) aged, and because the world is a little less willing to overlook these kinds of unfortunate metaphors in a major media property, especially now vs the 90s and early 00s. I still really like those books, but I definitely acknowledge that part of the enjoyment is to escape into that simple child's world where the general can just hop into the helicopter (and if he's a general it must mean he's a really good fighter.)

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 22, 2021

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Phenotype posted:

I think JKR tried to get away with that sort of warm naive obliviousness but it kinda failed once the characters (and readers) aged, and because the world is a little less willing to overlook these kinds of unfortunate metaphors in a major media property, especially now vs the 90s and early 00s.

I have never once bought this argument. Harry Potter found immediate and strong shelf life across a huge swath of demographics and was merchandisable as gently caress. The readers didn't age, the majority of them were over 12 to start.

The difference is in the attention Rowling got. Books 1 and 2 were successes that garnered her major hype. Book 3 was a big release. Book 4 was insane. I say this as someone who was there. I went to Barnes and Noble on the day of release for Book 3 because I had heard great things in my Scholastic Book Fair flyer and wanted to get in early. There was no fanfare, no lines, no shortage of product. Book 4... the midnight release had a line that wrapped through nearly every aisle of the store and I was there for 6 hours. My parents took me. The line held people of every goddamn age demo. Most of them were 16+.

And it's not a coincidence that the plots of Books 1-3 are fairly constrained larks, while Book 4 is suddenly "the character's world is now the eye of a giant storm of game show bullshit" and then as noted previously here-- Books 5-7 are basically her trying to square the voice of those first three books with the Star Wars bullshit she realized she was obligated to make if she wanted that money plane to keep flying.

And I won't hand it to her, because she's a bigoted sack of neoliberal poo poo, but that is still more than GRRM has objectively managed to achieve in twice that time.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If all this is accurate on where the story is headed how does GRRM finish ANYTHING in just 2 more books again?

gently caress if I know. I've just fallen down the rabbit hole of Asoiaf theory videos on Youtube and there's good stuff there that actually makes plenty of sense, it's reminding me of why I loved these books and of the fact that they will never be finished.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Mermen, unicorns and the pink letter... What can it all mean??

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Euron summons Cthulhu which attracts the attention of the ancient space empire implied by the Preston Jacobs videos.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

2 books at 3000 pages a piece.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Dany dies of dysentery in the desert, meanwhile everyone else keeps on politicking until they're eaten by ice zombies. Fitting!

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Atrocious Joe posted:

Euron summons Cthulhu which attracts the attention of the ancient space empire implied by the Preston Jacobs videos.

There should be a crossover with DUNC, wherein the Fremen Jihad lands and wipes out westeros, and then harvests the ice zombies for their water.
Strong Belwas earns their respect and becomes one of the Ibad.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
ↃU∩C and Egg

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

The Dunk & Egg stuff is actually the only thing I sincerely want to see GRRM finish and still feel invested in. Probably because its honor has remained unbesmirched by the depravity, shame, and failure of the TV show and everything related to it. I'd be thrilled if he just abandoned Winds and gave us instead another trilogy of Dunk & Egg stories.

I also find it encouraging that the third and most recent of those stories, "The Mystery Knight", is arguably the best of the three (or at least on a par with the first one) and was released around the same time as ADWD. Maybe the fourth story, if and when it ever gets released, will actually be good and not a self-indulgent mess? One can hope.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

kaworu posted:

The Dunk & Egg stuff is actually the only thing I sincerely want to see GRRM finish and still feel invested in. Probably because its honor has remained unbesmirched by the depravity, shame, and failure of the TV show and everything related to it. I'd be thrilled if he just abandoned Winds and gave us instead another trilogy of Dunk & Egg stories.

Well I have good news on at least one of your wishes.

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

10 books seems about right to me. There is just too much material, and if you look at some of the released chapters he is still building out new crap while Ariana or w/e is exploring some new poo poo, and you have fAegon coming out of nowhere, and some plague ravashing the world, and I don't even remember what is up with the snow, but I think winter just started? It's all loving blurred together.

Watching how it all ended was incredibly disappointing. There is just no way he could in a million years provide good closure on all the loving threads he's trying to weave together.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
the snow is acting weird

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

mind the walrus posted:

My parents took me. The line held people of every goddamn age demo. Most of them were 16+.

Well, you don't bring the younger kids to poo poo like that. They either went to a special release party for kids ( which my little sister did ) or you waited in line for them ( which I also did ). It also makes sense to me that as the characters aged, it would push towards more "young adult" and less "childrens". I know it made sense for my little sister as she got older to have more mature things happening. It's also entirely possible that as the series grew more successful - she became more aware of an older audience. But who knows. Has she commented on the change in tone?

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

He who controls the spice, controls the universe!

edit: hey look it's 1992 and I'm sorted for spice and wizz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bruegaltCNU

TERFherder fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jul 31, 2021

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The first book was released 25 years ago today.

That is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
So I've been listening to the series on audiobook after hearing tons of recommendations. A lot of people over the years have told me that the reader, Ray Dotrice, does an amazing job and I don't entirely agree. It sucks to speak ill of the dead, but while Dotrice is good at narrations and voices for older men, his comedic voices and female voices are awful. Brienne, Sam, and Daenerys all sound exactly the same. I much prefer when male audiobook readers don't try to create voices for women. His "funny" voices can be really annoying and overly drawn-out and I can't believe he got away that yellow-face voice for Missandei. Hearing an old man read out Dany's sex fantasies in the voice of a shrinking leprechaun has an unintended comedy to it, though.

I will commend the sheer amount of effort he put into his work and when he's reading the right entries, he kills it.