Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Brocktoon posted:

I think Face/Off is an amazing 90 minute movie that is unfortunately 2 hours and 15 min long. Do I deserve a ban?

I agree with this take. No bans all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Con Air has a bit of that too where it seems like it should be wrapping up but then it just keeps going.

Best Cage action flick from that time period is definitely The Rock. No contest.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
Wow, Pig was great. Like if John Wick got remade by a Buddhist who loves cooking

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I agree with this take. No bans all around.

You both deserve bans

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Barb and Star Go to Vista Del Mar is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. The plot is badly executed, the dialogue is painfully clunky, and it can't decide on what style of comedy it wants to rely, which rips you out of the movie again and again as it changes gears and never really accomplishes what it tries to. I felt bad for the actors delivering the lines. Richard Cheese is completely wasted, twice, and not in the good way. It's a horrible movie. Don't watch it.

There is a scene near the beginning where they go to something called "Talking Club" with their friends. It is one of the funniest things I've seen in my entire life. I can't reconcile its appearance in this otherwise purposelessly terrible movie. It's the best scene in the movie, so watch that far and then turn it off.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Basebf555 posted:

lol yea

I actually liked Space Jam 2 but they definitely were insecure with just the Basketball/Looney Toons combo that drove the original so they forced a bunch of Ready Player One-style pop culture references into it.

I honestly don't think the IP/pop culture references are that big a part of the film. They're there and they're clumsy but its also basically just a 5 minute montage and then random crowd shots behind people. Its all very clumsy but its also pretty minor and not the big deal I think people are worked up about.

But they messed up the Looney Tunes/basketball balance for sure. The first one's a Looney Tunes movie that MJ gets sucked into, and this one's a Lebron movie that the Looney Tunes get sucked into. And that Lebron movie is loving bizarre about the HBO Max becoming sentient and wanting take over the world but really hyper focusing on Lebron James for some reason.

They also missed the part of the first one where they threw in a couple of established comics to help things along.

Also if you're gonna redo Space Jam make an effort with the soundtrack. That's its real legacy.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
It’s weird because the looney tunes have kinda fallen out of the pop culture so I guess they were trying to find a way to reintroduce these characters

Not saying it was good but that’s what I think happened

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The REAL Goobusters posted:

It’s weird because the looney tunes have kinda fallen out of the pop culture so I guess they were trying to find a way to reintroduce these characters

Not saying it was good but that’s what I think happened

This is really why Space Jam 1 even happened, at the time Jordan was a god-king and they saw a way to tie an IP onto that rocket ship, and made a movie that was kind of poo poo. History repeats itself, except for Lebron being a statistically-better basketball player than Jordan but not just winning the NBA Finals at will.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think there's a perfectly good film idea in there about the Looney Tunes falling out of pop culture and scattering around to other places and some nefarious bad guy focused on "brands" being the reason and Lebron falling into this mess as fields commercial ideas. But its also trying to b a father/son drama at its core and that shifts the balance of things and makes the Looney Tunes the supporting cast. And its just too melodramatic a thing to work with how weird and silly the rest of the film is.

Like the weirdest part of the film is Bugs Bunny "sacrificing" himself. Did they expect us to feel that seriously? Should it have made us said? Maybe it does work less jaded kids? But it just felt all tonally confused.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Basebf555 posted:

Con Air has a bit of that too where it seems like it should be wrapping up but then it just keeps going.

Best Cage action flick from that time period is definitely The Rock. No contest.

100%

The Rock kicks rear end.

SlipkPIe posted:

Wow, Pig was great. Like if John Wick got remade by a Buddhist who loves cooking

I've heard that 'Pig' was good. I need to see.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

You both deserve bans

No. You deserve ban for thinking that we deserve ban.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
The Loki finale wasn't the best episode of the run but it's still the best Marvel series, period, as far as I'm concerned. It struck a balance of tone that I've never seen another show do quite like it. Weirdly thoughtful while being imaginative and funny.

Gunpowder Milkshake was definitely diet John Wick. Not the worst action movie but the action sequences were either very hammy or kinda sloppy most of the time. It gets better once Lena Headey shows up again (not really a spoiler) since she actually seems like she's having fun in the movie and Lena is great in that state. Basically all the male characters are awful dumbasses and all the women are cunning and clever, but whatever, there have been zillions of movies where it's the reverse. I think it's worth watching but I wouldn't prioritize it.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Gunpowder Milkshake was especially frustrating because I assumed it was written and directed by a woman so I was excited to see it but was pretty shocked/rolled my eyes when the director came out to introduce it at our screening and it was a dude and was written by him and another dude. It definitely feels like a girl-power movie created by men in the sense it more uses the power fantasy as a plot device and leans more into violent exploitation genre tendencies rather than take any actual interest in exploring feminist themes beyond "murder bad men" and a surface level aspect of mother/daughter bonding. Which is totally fine, but still dissapointing to me since this has been done to death. Sucker Punch for all of its many flaws at least explored its feminist/male gaze themes with depth while still being a wacky violent over the top power fantasy.

All that said its not that men arent capable of making kick rear end feminist film and the women I went with definitely enjoyed it as a power fantasy, just feels like a wasted opportunity for two male filmmakers to helm this.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

'The Rock is a James Bond movie' theory holds up too.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Sodomy Hussein posted:

This is really why Space Jam 1 even happened, at the time Jordan was a god-king and they saw a way to tie an IP onto that rocket ship, and made a movie that was kind of poo poo. History repeats itself, except for Lebron being a statistically-better basketball player than Jordan but not just winning the NBA Finals at will.

I think what happened first was they made some shoe commercial with Jordan and Bugs Bunny and it somehow went over really well.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

RestingB1tchFace posted:

NOOOOOO! Just watched Face/Off for the first time.

WHY? So many better movies were cut at a hour and forty-five. I invested two and a quarter in this......

Props to John Travolta and Nick Cage. They were very good in their roles. Doesn't change the fact that this movie sucked....bad.

now it's time to watch the other woo masterpiece: windtalkers

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I need to re-watch Broken Arrow, it's been a good 26 years, I'm sure it's aged well :laugh:

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

toggle posted:

I need to re-watch Broken Arrow, it's been a good 26 years, I'm sure it's aged well :laugh:

I saw Broken Arrow for the first time a few months ago. It's a much better movie than Face/Off, though not as good as Con Air (also recently watched for the first time).

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
John Travolta’s acting in Broken Arrow is quintessential 90’s cheese. Even moreso than in Face/Off.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Gonz posted:

John Travolta’s acting in Broken Arrow is quintessential 90’s cheese. Even moreso than in Face/Off.
To be fair, that was really Nicolas Cage's acting if you think about it

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Martman posted:

*in heavy Arnold “The Sixth Day” accent*

“Well if i’m not me, then who the hell am I?”

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Martman posted:

true

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I was a big John Woo fan at the time, and I went to the theater to see Face/Off when it was released. I remember loving it even on re-watches, but it has been over 15 years since I have watched it. I need to change that.

One of my biggest movie disappointments was John Woo's MI2. None of his non-Hong Kong movies ever came close to Hard Boiled or A Better Tomorrow. I would say Face/Off and Hard Target (a Van Damme movie inspired by Most Dangerous Game ) are his best American movies. They have just the right amount of cheesiness to them.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jul 20, 2021

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

a bunch of goons got together over the 4th of July and ended up doing an MI marathon after catching the second half of MI1 on tv, and we skipped MI2 halfway through and started streaming MI3

2 is really a hard drop in quality from the rest

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

lament.cfg posted:

a bunch of goons got together over the 4th of July and ended up doing an MI marathon after catching the second half of MI1 on tv, and we skipped MI2 halfway through and started streaming MI3

2 is really a hard drop in quality from the rest

The trick to watching MI2 is to not view it as an MI film, but a John Woo flick that happens to star Tom Cruise.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

It's filmed like it's entirely cg and things like gravity and physics were forgotten

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

The last 20 minutes of MI2 is so amazingly ridiculous it makes the rest of the movie retroactively awesome.

e: also can't imagine voting to bail on the most fun of the bunch to watch in a group

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

nate fisher posted:

Hard Target (a Van Damme movie inspired by Most Dangerous Game )

I should put together a Most Dangerous Game playlist. I know of Avenging Force (Michael Dudikoff), Surviving the Game (Ice T), and now The Hunt. Running Man would fit the bill, too.

It would actually be a great Olympics tie-in.

MajorBonnet fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jul 20, 2021

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

MajorBonnet posted:

I should put together a Most Dangerous Game playlist. I know of Avenging Force (Michael Dudikoff), Surviving the Game (Ice T), and now The Hunt. Running Man would fit the bill, too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pest_(1997_film)

I had a friend circa 2001 who talked about this movie endlessly. It was her favorite movie. She finally got us all to watch it and it is very bad.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

MajorBonnet posted:

Series 6 would be a good watch for that. It's basically Battle Royale but broadcast as a reality show and made 20 years ago.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I remember in school the 2 short stories that got me into reading were Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge and The Most Dangerous Game. Both have influenced a lot of media, but the Owl Creek influence can be annoying (oh sorry it was all a dream).

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Series 6 would be a good watch for that. It's basically Battle Royale but broadcast as a reality show and made 20 years ago.

Series 7 - The Contenders. :)

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Asnorban posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pest_(1997_film)

I had a friend circa 2001 who talked about this movie endlessly. It was her favorite movie. She finally got us all to watch it and it is very bad.

The WHM podcast covered this movie fairly recently and absolutely hated it, one of the worst movies they've covered going by their comments in the episode.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

Enos Cabell posted:

The last 20 minutes of MI2 is so amazingly ridiculous it makes the rest of the movie retroactively awesome.

e: also can't imagine voting to bail on the most fun of the bunch to watch in a group

And let's not forget the classic MI theme as interpreted by Limp Bizkit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdpP6ynPbiY

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

nate fisher posted:

I remember in school the 2 short stories that got me into reading were Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge and The Most Dangerous Game. Both have influenced a lot of media, but the Owl Creek influence can be annoying (oh sorry it was all a dream).

Iirc in Owl Creek it's not a dream, it's his life flashing before his eyes right before death. This is obviously open to interpretation but that's how I learned it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Enos Cabell posted:

1 is great but doesn't really gel with the rest of the series too much, 2 is just terrible and all the doves and helicopter jumps cannot redeem it. Skipping 2 is always preferable because with 3 you start getting to the meat of the series, which is of course Tom Cruise rubbing himself over a various world landmarks.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Lol at The Pest, me and my buddies in fourth grade were so hype to watch it and even then we knew it sucked.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

Iirc in Owl Creek it's not a dream, it's his life flashing before his eyes right before death. This is obviously open to interpretation but that's how I learned it.

Yes you are correct. It is just dreams are the more common use of this . I can think of several movies and shows that have used this trick (one show turns out to be a dream from another show, who can forget it is all in an autistic boy’s mind, what about a main character dies but we find out at end of season it was all a dream, and of course the famous they got away from the monsters but they are just dreaming or fantasizing right before their deaths), but to mention them would spoil them of course.

I wonder if Owl Creek is the first piece of media that presented what was happening as reality only to pull the floor out from under the audiences at the end?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I think Charles Dickens' short story The Chimes predates it

albedoa
May 3, 2004

nate fisher posted:

Yes you are correct. It is just dreams are the more common use of this .

A movie that was released last year did the true Owl Creek thing. Either you saw it and you know, or you didn't and this is a spoiler: I'm Thinking of Ending Things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

About 5min ago I contemplated making a post saying that now that I'm into season 2 of
Highlander, the show has improved a lot and it's taking itself more seriously, but the very next episode has the main character sensing the present of another immortal inside a box containing a sarcophagus with a mummy inside. He unwraps the mummy who happens to be alive, immortal, speak English, and claim to be Nefertiti.

:lol: