Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Speaking of Ali express knockoffs is there a generally agreed upon "good" one to get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

LloydDobler posted:

Nobody knows on swedespeed? My first guess would be on the intercooler tank, that's where they are on the other models. Should be on the cool side, between IC and throttle body. Down below the bumper I think.
I should join there. AI is generally my first stop for any car questions, and I didn't see anything searching there. Any chance of getting to it from the top or do I just have to suck it up and pull the skid plate and bumper?
Thanks! looks like a bit of a pain to get to, but at least I know where it is for sure. Looks like we have good weather for doing stuff to your car tomorrow, so I'll find some time to work on it. I'm installing a RaceChip and from what I've read it will probably pay for itself in a few months if I run it in eco mode. I'm expecting to keep it in eco most of the time since most of my driving is a boring commute at speeds typically associated with things like glacial movement and continental drift.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

GWBBQ posted:

I should join there. AI is generally my first stop for any car questions, and I didn't see anything searching there. Any chance of getting to it from the top or do I just have to suck it up and pull the skid plate and bumper?

I don't think you have to pull the bumper, everything should be accessible with the skid plate off. It's just 7 fasteners, all with the same head... unless someone lost them and just put in random poo poo which it seems everyone does on these cars. If you get under there and find that to be the case, Volvo sells a full hardware kit for the skid plate. It costs $40 but it's worth it for brand new attachment hardware that is all the same screw head. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BIH3JPG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Spring is here and I gave my old faithful C70 its first solid hand wash in over 3 years:

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Was out for a drive on this fine spring day and saw a burgundy Amazon sedan, really nice shape, coming the opposite way. I stuck my hand out the window and gave a thumbs up and got a wave back from the driver. Great little drive!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Going to go look at an 86k mile 04 auto v70 later today, am I right in thinking these are touted as having lifetime transmission fluid and therefore need it flushing to make that lifetime longer than 100k? How big a pain is that?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

cakesmith handyman posted:

Going to go look at an 86k mile 04 auto v70 later today, am I right in thinking these are touted as having lifetime transmission fluid and therefore need it flushing to make that lifetime longer than 100k? How big a pain is that?
That's a decent year and great mileage.

Yes, your thinking is correct, and it's not a particularly big pain. Even better if you go to a shop that has an exchange machine. They just hook up in line with the upper cooling fitting. As it pumps out of the transmission, the machine adds in the exact amount that comes out. They just run new fluid through until it comes out clean. For as seldom as it needs doing I just pay my local indie Volvo shop to do it so it's done quick, clean, and correct.

If you want to do it yourself, you will want to go to a junkyard and get the upper fitting with a length of its hose to use as a filler tube. Also you will want to buy one or two of the retainer clips for those fittings, they break easily. Then, the trick is to have 10-15 liters of fluid on hand. You start the car with the disconnected hose in a bucket that you've marked with fluid level. As a liter comes out, you pour a liter in your junkyard filler tube.

I can't quite remember if the upper or lower hose is the one that is pumped out of the transmission, you might have to google around for that. You'll want that one to dump in the bucket.

As always, check the dipstick to be sure you didn't over or under fill.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 20, 2021

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Anyone know about disabling airbags without volvo getting mad? I'm curious if I can disable the rear curtain airbags since I took out the 3rd row seats in my 2004 XC90. Be cool to put a cabinet in without worrying about the airbag exploding it. Here's a photo of someone else's xc90 with the interior removed:

If it's a huge deal, I'm fine with just forgetting this idea.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

taqueso posted:

Anyone know about disabling airbags without volvo getting mad? I'm curious if I can disable the rear curtain airbags since I took out the 3rd row seats in my 2004 XC90. Be cool to put a cabinet in without worrying about the airbag exploding it. Here's a photo of someone else's xc90 with the interior removed:

If it's a huge deal, I'm fine with just forgetting this idea.

How would a cabinet cause the airbag to fire?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I don't think the cabinet would make it go off directly, but if it does fire I don't want the cabinet and contents to become projectiles.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Unplug the airbags and install an appropriately sized resistor in their place. The SRS module should be happy with that and you avoid cabinet shrapnel in the event of a crash. 3.3 ohm is standard iirc for most airbags. You'll have to dig more to confirm.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Anyone with a p2 Volvo ever get an AWD DISCONNECTED-SERVICE REQUIRED message? That just popped up on my 2013 xc-90 and swedespeed is generally saying it varies between pretty expensive to :dogbutton:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

My 2004 says 'Anti Skid Service Required' but the problem was the AWD coupler controller (made by Haldex for Volvo) not talking on the canbus. Your message sure reads like that might be the issue. If it's the haldex controller, those are $1k+ for a new one and ~$150-200 for a used one. They can cook from exhaust heat or get water inside. Could also be the cable.

It is surprisingly easy to replace the module if you have to do it. :unsmith:

taqueso fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 11, 2021

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I think what Taqueso said is exactly right.

I would research if they improved it after the third generation, if not then any module or rear end from like 06 to 15.5 will have replacement parts, and there are TONS of these in the junkyards.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
2016 S60 T5 is throwing a code for fuel pressure and the starts take a long time after a few hours, but startups act just fine if its been a few mins. I assume the check valve in the fuel pump is stuck? Or is there a different place I should be looking?

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

So I had my xc90 diagnosed by a local and very good indy shop and they said it was the Haldex pump that was bad. They wanted 1100 bux for the work but IPD had the pump for 450 plus a quart of unicorn atf for 40 and I got to save the balance by doing the work myself. Now I get to use all that money I saved on new brakes and probably a bunch of rubber suspension parts.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Nice, very nice.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Rejoined the Volvo Family with a 2004 V70 Bi-Fuel:

Man that thing is comfortable!

Not exactly gonna win drag races with it but its great to just cruise in. VDASH is telling me it can flash the tune for 170hp on it which is mighty tempting though...

Now to fix two of the parking senors, the ABS ring on the front left wheel and the air quality sensor because of course i bought a car with all the warning lights on!

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Are you in one of those places that dates a car by when it was first registered? Because that's a 2005-2007 model year here in the US, judging by the painted body trim and plastic headlights.

When searching for parts you definitely want to search for 05-up parts because there are significant differences in the wiring and bus speed of components. Many parts from 01-04 will not work in that car.

Looks like a good find, and is it magic blue or just black? I can't quite tell.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
It's been registered in 2004 but I guess it's a 2005 model? Car years are weird.

It's blue and I'm pretty happy that I found it. Doesn't even have 200k km on the clock yet. Only one previous owner and it has always been serviced by a Volvo dealer.

It's even got leather seats and "wood" interior which I hate cause it makes the car look like it belongs to a 75 year old man which, looking at the previous owner, seems to be pretty much correct!

Biggest issue is right now: It's a bi-fuel. Which is great cause I can run it on natural gas/CNG which is way cheaper than petrol. What's not great is that, at least here in Europe, the gas tanks for CNG need to be replaced every 20 years.
So in about two years I have to decide to replace the CNG tanks for a shitton of money, disable the CNG parts and drive it with a very small normal gas tank or ditch it.
But until then, great car!

Shai-Hulud fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 21, 2021

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Hey everybody!

My 09 XC70 T6 is throwing code P0172, which google is showing is most likely a vacuum leak. I just had a spark plug/ignition coil change due to a cylinder misfire about a month ago. Could these be related? Any insight on how to troubleshoot this is appreciated!

Also I was at a bush party this weekend and someone had a mint 1990 240 wagon. It turned out to have been owned by their grandmother who only drove it for the mythical grocery trips and church functions. It had about 45K km on it. Made me miss my '91 5-Speed wagon something fierce.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

mikerock posted:

Hey everybody!

My 09 XC70 T6 is throwing code P0172, which google is showing is most likely a vacuum leak. I just had a spark plug/ignition coil change due to a cylinder misfire about a month ago. Could these be related? Any insight on how to troubleshoot this is appreciated!

Any work around the top of the engine could have bumped a vac hose loose or cracked one, or if it's got one of those cool all in one vac tube assemblies there could have just been a fitting left loose or not connected all the way. Maybe visual inspect and if you can't see anything have whoever did it double check their work.

mikerock posted:

Also I was at a bush party this weekend and someone had a mint 1990 240 wagon. It turned out to have been owned by their grandmother who only drove it for the mythical grocery trips and church functions. It had about 45K km on it. Made me miss my '91 5-Speed wagon something fierce.

If it's not too sentimental you should tell him mint 240 wagons are selling for $15k-$20k on BAT lately. It's ridiculous.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
Man, I should really get the paint fixed up on my platinum 850 wagon.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

LloydDobler posted:

Any work around the top of the engine could have bumped a vac hose loose or cracked one, or if it's got one of those cool all in one vac tube assemblies there could have just been a fitting left loose or not connected all the way. Maybe visual inspect and if you can't see anything have whoever did it double check their work.

If it's not too sentimental you should tell him mint 240 wagons are selling for $15k-$20k on BAT lately. It's ridiculous.

I'll poke around, and see what comes up.

The owner mentioned she'd had many offers and didn't want them, she loves the car and its connection to her Grandma.

Here's my 91:

mikerock fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 26, 2021

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Also these are the two '97 850 5-speed AWD wagons I had. Apparently Canada got almost all of them, and a bunch ended up here in Vancouver. I have a friend who had one too (he put a T5 into it), and I've seen a couple others around. I really liked these cars but the first one (green) ended up having transmission problems and the second one (silver) had the head gasket go.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

long shot, but any kiwis in this thread? I'm offloading my 2004 v50 t5 very cheap, if there's a local goon i'd love for it to go to a good home.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I found a leak in the resonator on my 04 xc90 2.5T. Turns out the exhaust is all original. Probably time for a refresh even without the hole. Anyone have suggestions for exhaust setups to check out?

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
So I took a new job that is a considerably longer commute (still not long, but like 15m compared to my old 3m commute). I currently drive a big ole RWD boat. Looking at something AWD to make winters a little easier and make sure I make it to work reliably. One of my new coworkers has a couple XC70s, and one has a BMW X3. We started talking, and I started looking into the AWD Volvo offerings. I'm a single guy with not a lot of reason to own a wagon other than WAGOOOOOON, but I've been looking at either an early 2000s S60R or XC70 (Maybe a V70R if one struck me right). Thought this would be a good resource to ask everyone what they though about being the best option. Would I need the extra clearance of a XC, or will the S60R or V70R get around in the snow pretty well. Also: for reference, I'm in southern Indiana, so it's not like I'm doing feet of snow for months on end. Just the couple of weeks that we get a couple inches (thanks climate change!).

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

The bumper of a P2R is low enough that it will catch most parking bollards of you aren't careful.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

RIP me.

From under the R...

Foot for scale.

Definitely has the funk of not 10w-30...

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

toplitzin posted:

RIP me.

From under the R...

Foot for scale.

Definitely has the funk of not 10w-30...

I had a leak develop where the angle gear casing splits and weirdly went away after a retorq. I hope you have a similarly easy fix!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Live from the garage floor!

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

So this happened this week:

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/10/21/volvo-v70-xc70-recall-airbag-inflator/

It appears it only affects P2 V70 and XC70 models from 01-07 with the 4 spoke steering wheel, not the S60 and not the S60R/V70R, all of which have a 3 spoke steering wheel and different bag.

I called and my 06 is definitely affected, I have the new bag on order at my closest dealer and when it comes in they'll call me to get it swapped out.

What's funny is that even though I had no idea about this, one of the first things I did on my 01 V70 that I used to have was to put in the S60 3 spoke wheel, simply because I think it's cooler and sportier. I should do that on this car too.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

My local volvo shop just quoted me 2600 bucks for a bank one catalytic converter for my XC90. thats a ton of loot obviously, and I know they're not ripping me off since IPD wants 2100 for the cat itself. Anyone do one of these? and is there a non sketchy place to maybe get a used one?

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
I have a friend with a 2007 V50 T5 AWD, that is showing some signs of having a bad fuel pump or filter. I'm guessing on the pump based on reading the vague tea-leaves of input data, but still figured just changing the filter would be a quick and easy and cheap thing to try first, so I had him buy one at the local auto parts place. It's the same kind of metal canister with the hose quick-connects as many other cars (and similar to the V70 filter I'm familiar with, just slightly smaller diameter), and I had expected to find it somewhere under the car. However, I completely failed to locate it.
I've followed the fuel line all the way from the fuel tank (as far as I can go without dropping the tank) up to the engine (where I can't really see the connector on the fuel rail / regulator, but very close to it), and I doubt the new filter would fit in either end where I haven't actually seen the very end of the fuel line.

Does anyone know where that filter is? Does it even have one other than the filter sock on the pump?

Everything I can google either shows either just the V70 or S80 or something fuel filter (on the right hand side just in front of the rear wheel), or a V50 diesel with a completely different filter up by the engine.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

ionn posted:

Does it even have one other than the filter sock on the pump?

Pretty sure it doesn't, especially if you can't find it. I paid a shop to do the fuel pump on my daughter's V50, there's no access from the top so you gotta drop the tank.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 18, 2021

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

LloydDobler posted:

Pretty sure it doesn't, especially if you can't find it. I paid a shop to do the fuel pump on my daughter's V50, there's no access from the top so you gotta drop the tank.

Yeah, I was groping around under the rear seat carpet and there was no access to anything there. Felt like there could have been, but maybe that's a FWD thing. Dropping the tank in itself didn't seem to bad, except for the fact that there's both an exhaust and a propshaft in the way. And given that the pump seems kinda pricey anyway, I'll try to convince him to take it to a shop.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Just be ready for sticker shock, they will charge somewhere around $600 for the pump and Same for labor. I was friends with the shop owner and he still hit me for $1100.

Might want to rig up a remote fuel pressure gauge temporarily and make absolutely sure it's starving for fuel before dropping that coin. Weak on power or stumbling is far more likely plugs/coilpacks/boost control/intake leaks on these cars.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
Access from the top is just a saw away. :emo:

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

LloydDobler posted:

Might want to rig up a remote fuel pressure gauge temporarily and make absolutely sure it's starving for fuel before dropping that coin. Weak on power or stumbling is far more likely plugs/coilpacks/boost control/intake leaks on these cars.

From what he says, it's more that it sometimes doesn't want to start (it cranks fine but nothing more), and last couple of times it happened was when he was parked slightly uphill (and he thinks fuel level was at about a quarter). I've had a few old Volvo V/S40s that stopped running or wouldn't start, particularly when low on fuel and/or parked uphill, all due to bad fuel pumps and what he said just sounded familiar to that. But it happens infrequently enough that it is hard to tell, I'm going to let him suffer it a while longer until it either happens more often or he can tell me more about when it happens, before even bothering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Replaced the air quality sensor on my V70 II because the Vida Dice said its broken. Didn't notice it a the time but this caused the whole AC system to panic. Left side was only blowing warm air, right side only cold. No calibration or test was working. Unplugged the new sensor, everything works again. Guess i wont be having an air quality sensor then!