Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Captain Log posted:

Can someone enlighten my dumb rear end about what is meant by dentist?

Dentist are presumably rich snobs and road cycling is the new golf.
Rich snobs like fancy SWorks or Sirvelo so they can shame people for being poor and unfit at the coffee sho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

sat on my keys! posted:

My kingdom for jersey makers to have women's cuts that aren't all floral or hearts patterned
check out https://www.i-ris.cc/

Krogort posted:

Dentist are presumably rich snobs and road gravel cycling is the new golf.
Rich snobs like fancy SWorks or Sirvelo so they can shame people for being poor and unfit at the coffee sho.
ftfy

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

bicievino posted:

The term is used to refer to someone who (presumably) cares more about buying the most expensive thing rather than the best thing for them.
It's lovely and judgy and should be excised from bike culture, just like "Fred" and mocking triathletes should be.

Sorry, but what's a Fred? Same thing, different sport?

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

sat on my keys! posted:

My kingdom for jersey makers to have women's cuts that aren't all floral or hearts patterned

thanks for all the recs, just to pile on I like Ostroy quite a bit as well, they do have florals (I have a tremendous weakness for the Sorry Not Sorry one) but also other styles.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Captain Log posted:

Sorry, but what's a Fred? Same thing, different sport?

Depends who you ask, but the older definition is someone who just completely doesn't care about their appearance. The helmet mirror plus bar end mirror plus hi-viz vest sort.

Nowadays nobody seems to agree on the specifics, so it's generally someone enjoying cycling in a way that the person calling them Fred thinks is wrong.
The horror.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

bicievino posted:

The term is used to refer to someone who (presumably) cares more about buying the most expensive thing rather than the best thing for them.
It's lovely and judgy and should be excised from bike culture, just like "Fred" and mocking triathletes should be.

I 100% agree.
I got mocked by some presumably mamil dentists on quite clean all carbon road racebikes last weekend, whatever dgaf I am here to riiiide.
Little did they know I climbed up the backside of the mountain where its steep, rutted, and dirty rather than the svelte paved section.

Krogort posted:

Dentist are presumably rich snobs and road cycling is the new golf.

P much yeah. its the same thing in various other hobby communities like overlanding, living in vans, motorcycles, etc. IME these snobbish aren't all that fit/good at it as they don't get into the hobby so much as show off what they can buy...

It me, the not-rich not-snob on a fallen from grace S-Beater stumpjumper thats perpetually covered in dirt. I needed a mtb fast and covid is a thing...so I grabbed the only thing available in my size and it was "cheap" for covid pricing...

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

cursedshitbox posted:

I 100% agree.
I got mocked by some presumably mamil dentists on quite clean all carbon road racebikes last weekend, whatever dgaf I am here to riiiide.
Little did they know I climbed up the backside of the mountain where its steep, rutted, and dirty rather than the svelte paved section.

P much yeah. its the same thing in various other hobby communities like overlanding, living in vans, motorcycles, etc. IME these snobbish aren't all that fit/good at it as they don't get into the hobby so much as show off what they can buy...

It me, the not-rich not-snob on a fallen from grace S-Beater stumpjumper thats perpetually covered in dirt. I needed a mtb fast and covid is a thing...so I grabbed the only thing available in my size and it was "cheap" for covid pricing...

Maybe I'm misreading you but it feels like you're saying the opposite of me here - I'm saying referring to folks as dentists is lovely.
Not to diminish that some people were lovely to you, but I think we're all worse off when we make a bunch of assumptions about what gear people have/need/deserve.
Just as it's lovely to mock someone for riding a cheap bike, it's similarly (but yes, not identically) lovely to mock someone for riding an expensive bike.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

bicievino posted:

Maybe I'm misreading you but it feels like you're saying the opposite of me here - I'm saying referring to folks as dentists is lovely.
Not to diminish that some people were lovely to you, but I think we're all worse off when we make a bunch of assumptions about what gear people have/need/deserve.
Just as it's lovely to mock someone for riding a cheap bike, it's similarly (but yes, not identically) lovely to mock someone for riding an expensive bike.

Yeah sorry that is not my intention to mock someone for riding something expensive. its being used, thats what matters. It was just...misplaced that they were being snobs is all.

My old bike wasn't cheap when it was new, mocking someone for riding an expensive bike is like throwing rocks in glass houses.. You're right in that the community is collectively worse off when assumptions are made.

E: what I'm meaning to say is I don't care if someone's on a 2 figure piece of equipment or a 6 figure piece of equipment. Use the hell out of it and be chill about it.
Assholes being assholes to each other just results in nobody wanting to participate in building or improving the community as a whole.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 20, 2021

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Right on.

I definitely have to check myself sometimes when, for example, someone comes out to one of our beginner track classes and has already blinged out with a carbon frame and disc wheel and whatnot. Feels like overkill (and it is!).
But hey, if throwing some money at a new hobby helps them get stoked on it, why should I care? Best case they love it and ride a ton Worst case they get bored and end up selling it, and someone who is gonna put it to use gets something nice without many miles on it.

I hate the gatekeeping of either "you must spend this much to be a real cyclist" OR "you must ride this much to be a real cyclist" - we all start somewhere, and at different points in our lives, where some may have more time to ride and others may have more cash to burn.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

bicievino posted:

it's generally someone enjoying cycling in a way that the person calling them Fred thinks is wrong.
The horror.

How dare they! :argh:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I’m from near the snake pass in the peak national park and one thousand and ninety percent behind this new thing where people with a large disposable income (“more money than sense” as my Nan, 94, would say) are buying expensive bicycles, especially gravel bikes, and not paying money to do the test that immediately lets them ride incredibly powerful motorcycles.

There is no downside to it, bike shops make money, and at some point someone will get a kicking’ rad second hand bike off eBay when they upgrade.

e; Incidentally the hill I will stand utop is that the one true enemy of all cyclists are car drivers who don’t indicate

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 20, 2021

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

bicievino posted:

In case it influences your decision, all black or white with minimal branding is peak dentist.
It's fine to just wear a color or not if you like it. Dumbasses will judge you regardless of what you wear, and other folks won't judge you regardless of what you wear.

My favourite is the livery of my fav brewery, the owner of whom is an avid cyclist. Have no idea what brand it might be but poly wicks away sweat just fine.

Just need to work off some weight so I'm not embarrassed to put it on

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

e.pilot posted:

same but men’s jerseys in women’s colors and patterns
Raccmer from Aliexpress

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

bicievino posted:

I hate the gatekeeping of either "you must spend this much to be a real cyclist" OR "you must ride this much to be a real cyclist" - we all start somewhere, and at different points in our lives, where some may have more time to ride and others may have more cash to burn.

I agree here too. Money or miles do not a hobby make. Enjoyment and use however.
The bike I have now is far far better than what I've historically owned. The PO let it sit for the most part in his garage for four years. I am not tracking true on that one.

I'm the jerk that lives at the end of a product's lifecycle. The fun for me is taking some old piece of junk, improving it, then sending it far harder than it was ever designed to. Wearing out parts and designing improvements that slot in is a badge of honor. I get poo poo for it in varying communities for polishing turds so I generally lurk.

Bilirubin posted:

My favourite is the livery of my fav brewery, the owner of whom is an avid cyclist. Have no idea what brand it might be but poly wicks away sweat just fine.

Just need to work off some weight so I'm not embarrassed to put it on

Owns. Wear it anyway. Who cares, screw the naysayers. I wore lycra at 250lb, and still wear lycra at 165.
I wear a skinsuit + camelbak full of various supplies on a mtb with unshaven legs... its prob why I get shade. don't care. When someone has a bad day, having tools, bonk solutions, or a first aid kit makes all the difference.

learnincurve posted:

e; Incidentally the hill I will stand utop is that the one true enemy of all cyclists are car drivers who don’t indicate

Yes. Both on velo and moto.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Mostly I sit bolt upright in linen trousers and sandals in the summer, muck boots and Dutch cycling trousers in the winter, but when I wear proper gear it’s novelty jersey or pearl izumi who are fantastic value for money and do decent women’s gear.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Safety Dance posted:

How dare they! :argh:

If you don't enjoy cycling the way I do, what even are you.

Btw, has anyone tried this saddle? https://www.specialized.com/us/en/power-saddle-mirror

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

mikemelbrooks posted:

Ralpha the anti dentist jersey, because I'm worth it!

I have enough Thrillpool Simpsons related cycling kit, but also where do I buy Ralphs jersey?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Funnily enough I think I have! Not used it but sat on the honeycomb looking one.

I met a man yesterday on this “ Specialized Turbo Creo Expert SL 2021 Carbon Electric Road Bike” in small which does look much better than the larger one they use website pictures, only he’s ripped the stock wheels off and put more expensive silver gravel wheels and tyres on them and re-wrapped the bars with brown leather. Said he got it down to 10kg and put 110 miles on it on one charge before it ran out of battery.

Some bastard broke into his shed and “cut the cable round all my bikes” “….” And he used the insurance to import it. (He had on 20 year old Lycra)

https://www.lordgunbicycles.co.uk/s...f8aAlZlEALw_wcB

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 20, 2021

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Out of curiosity does the online bicycle shop name "Lord Gun" sound as weird to someone in the UK as it does to me sitting here in the US?

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

learnincurve posted:

Funnily enough I think I have! Not used it but sat on the honeycomb looking one.

I met a man yesterday on this “ Specialized Turbo Creo Expert SL 2021 Carbon Electric Road Bike” in small which does look much better than the larger one they use website pictures, only he’s ripped the stock wheels off and put more expensive silver gravel wheels and tyres on them and re-wrapped the bars with brown leather. Said he got it down to 10kg and put 110 miles on it on one charge before it ran out of battery.

Some bastard broke into his shed and “cut the cable round all my bikes” “….” And he used the insurance to import it. (He had on 20 year old Lycra)

https://www.lordgunbicycles.co.uk/s...f8aAlZlEALw_wcB

Yeah I'm thinking of getting one/trying one out in prep for my long distance rides next year. While I love my Berthoud saddle, I still ended up with numbness at beyond 600k. It was either this or the Infinity saddle.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

mikemelbrooks posted:

Raccmer from Aliexpress

They sell these on Amazon too and they’ve quickly become my daily favorite. They’re only marginally more expensive then getting them direct from China, although their Aliexpress store has way more colors and pattens. Looks like I will be expanding my collection.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
The dentist I know best rides a hell of a lot, knows every great gravel road for three counties, and will kick your rear end on any hill. He's pretty cool. His bikes are very expensive but that's not terribly relevant.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Shadowhand00 posted:

Yeah I'm thinking of getting one/trying one out in prep for my long distance rides next year. While I love my Berthoud saddle, I still ended up with numbness at beyond 600k. It was either this or the Infinity saddle.

Funnily enough they have them in stock at Lordgun at £370, which didn’t register as a funny name to me lol assumed it was a Scottish surname - you would pronounce it really fast

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

learnincurve posted:

Funnily enough they have them in stock at Lordgun at £370, which didn’t register as a funny name to me lol assumed it was a Scottish surname - you would pronounce it really fast

They're an Italian company, and I think they've just done what every Anglo does with Italian words in reverse and stuck two cool macho ones together and called it a brand.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

one of my 105 (7200? whatever the new hydro one is) shifters rattles when i'm not holding it. it's attached securely to the handlebar and doesn't seem to be a danger but it's heckin' annoying when i'm trundling up hills. shifting is great so i doubt it's the cable. are there bits to check under the hood for tightness or is this a gremlin sent to haunt me

This got ignored. Uh, take it apart and look? There should be an easy way to get one layer in by taking off a cover, and then you might be able to see the problem.

Did you also post in the maintenance thread?

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
After seeing this, i’m amending my desire for a plain jersey. Who else makes niche or weird designs? Not sure what kind of pattern or design, and it doesn’t have to be the same vibe as this. The thrillpool jersey is also p neat

https://ostroy.com/collections/mens-jersey/products/larmand-mens-jersey?variant=18905603113017

e: the awful app isn’t letting me post an inline pic of the jersey :/

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Head Bee Guy posted:

After seeing this, i’m amending my desire for a plain jersey. Who else makes niche or weird designs? Not sure what kind of pattern or design, and it doesn’t have to be the same vibe as this. The thrillpool jersey is also p neat

https://ostroy.com/collections/mens-jersey/products/larmand-mens-jersey?variant=18905603113017

e: the awful app isn’t letting me post an inline pic of the jersey :/

https://thrillpool.com/collections/all

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I have a uh.. friend who wants to know a good child carrier thing and also at what age it's appropriate to chuck said child in said carrier.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I’ve got a Burley encore x that I really like for kiddos and groceries. We started our son in it at about 1 year.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

LordOfThePants posted:

They sell these on Amazon too and they’ve quickly become my daily favorite. They’re only marginally more expensive then getting them direct from China, although their Aliexpress store has way more colors and pattens. Looks like I will be expanding my collection.

Unfortunately not Amazon UK.

MetaJew posted:

I have enough Thrillpool Simpsons related cycling kit, but also where do I buy Ralphs jersey?
I bought mine via AliExpress but you can buy them here at 2.5 times the price, BTW they come out extra small.
https://voguecycling.com/products/special-edition-ralpha-jersey

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Speaking of "kit" where can I buy cheap sets of socks? AliExpress seems like the obvious answer but are there any US based retailers? GIRO and pearl izumi had some stuff in their clearance page, but was entirely sold out of sizes that would fit a US 11 foot.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Math You posted:

I have a uh.. friend who wants to know a good child carrier thing and also at what age it's appropriate to chuck said child in said carrier.

9mons or when they seem to do well holding up their head.
I did some asking around on the commuting thread and ended up with a Thule Yepp Nexxt Maxi, largely because of its light weight, but also its wider weight range.
My quest starts here and goes on for a while:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933970&userid=118079&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post513385551

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Does anyone have a recommendation for an SPD cleat cover? I'm going to snap my ankles while loving up the hardwood just walking around my condo in these new shoes. They are completely flat without any ridges around the edges, like my old poo poo shoes.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I wanted to spend a few posts talking about lacing up my first wheel.

Pt 1: rationale to build a wheel and spoke length theory

I wanted a Surly Lowside. Ever since they announced it, I recalled the advertising for another similar QBY bike, the All-City JYD, another punk single speed runabout troublemaker.
The video ad AC used to launch that bike had been taken down, but I convinced the creator to share it with me, and I give you some stills. Imagine CCR's Run Through the Jungle playing in the background as the rider does some multimodal hooliganism:

Yeah! I want to eat that burrito. I want to bunny hop some curbs!

I never actually got up to most of that with my JYD (advertising works), but I wanted to try again with the Lowside.
So I finally found a person selling a frame, and I figured I had what I needed in my parts bin.

The Lowside fork is 15x110, for which I have one really ugly 27.5 wheel. I could have used that, but I really wanted to run 26+ like the bike was intended for. I had a 26x2.5" wheelset ready to go, except the front wheel is QR 100.

So do I hunt around online for a matching 26+ TA wheel? Slim/expensive pickings. Wouldn't be that much more to reuse the rim and lace it to whatever hub I wanted...
Well, it would be more, but I'd at least learn how to build a wheel finally.

I started out thinking I'd reuse that 27.5 wheel's hub and get some cheapo spokes, but got convinced to get a new hub and nicer spokes.
bicievino pointed me at bikehubstore.com, where I got the hub, spokes, and nipples.
My rim is 32h, so that dictates everything else, countwise.

Butted spokes (drawn out thinner in the middle) stretch more, so under wheel loads, they can shrink more without bottoming out on tension, which is worse for the fatigue life of the spoke.
A decent butted Sapim spoke is about a dollar, and a cheap straight gauge is maybe half that, so hard to justify going rock bottom.

Opted for a Bitex hub, which is a reputable Taiwanese manufacturer. It came with what I think are decent bearings, same as what's in my Madone.
32h is one of the most common drillings, so would have had a bunch of other hub choices if I wanted to get spendy.

The rim is black, as is the hub, so decided to get black spokes and nipples, which added like 25% to the price. Presumably for the extra paint process.

With the nipples, I really splurged. Brass, for better corrosion effects. Instead of a "normal" nipple like this:

which can only be adjusted on the end (when the rim isn't taped over) with a flathead, I opted for hex head nipples:

which would let me use a nipple wrench, just a thin walled, tiny hex socket. I got the nipple wrench on ebay, cuz BikeHubStore's wasn't cheap.
I figured it would let me focus on doing initial tightening up and counting how many turns I was doing without having to futz with keeping the screwdriver in line.
25c for the hex over 20c for the regular, plus $20 for the tool.

The critical dimension in wheel building is the spoke length. There's calculators for this, and I had all the information on my parts:
Velocity Dually 26" rim -- the critical dimension is the ERD, effective rim diameter
Bitex BX211F hub -- you need the heights and "chainline" distances for the left and right flanges, where the spokes plug in
From there, there's quite a few spoke length calculator apps out there, which all agreed within 0.5mm.
Spokes can be custom cut, or are sold precut in 2mm increments (at least on BikeHubStore).

So take the rim and hub specs and feed them into a spoke calculator to get your lengths:
https://kstoerz.com/freespoke/?link=1&rim=328&wL=26.2&wR=38.2&dL=58&dR=45&s=2.6&n=32&xL=3&xR=3
The two other parameters you have to specify are # spokes/holes and crossing pattern. # holes is obvious for most normal double digit counts, but maybe becomes weird if you try odd numbers or very few spokes.

Crossing pattern -- your spokes provide almost all of the strength/integrity of the wheel structure. You could precisely cut a rim into small segments and still build a working wheel from that; the spokes pull the facing ends together and keep them tight against each other. The lacing pattern determines some tradeoffs in how well the wheel deals with:
- vertical deflections
- lateral forces (like standing pedaling and tiling the wheel side to side)
- windup (the hub rotating relative to the rim from pedaling or braking torque)

Radial lacing is common for front rim brake wheels:

This is great for the first two, but doesn't handle windup. Since braking torque is acting at the rim instead of the hub, that's not a factor. And you also don't pedal against a front wheel. So windup doesn't really happen here, which is why you can get away with it.

Then you have crossing patterns, which angle the spokes from hub to rim, with advancing and retreating angles help resist windup.
2-cross:

3-cross:

As cross number increases, the spoke gets more tangential with the hub, so it's harder to not have the spokes run into each other right at the flange. 4-cross is possible in some, but pretty rarely done. 3-cross is a standard compromise, and I didn't see a need to be any different.

Oh, there are some more exotic patterns, like paired spokes:

where the holes on the rim and hub are clustered into pairs.

Or where the higher tension side gets double the spokes:

Also shown with uneven spoke spacing, though that's not a requirement.
And note that you need spokes in a multple of 3.
[Note that the calculator shows a tension differential of 67%. Unless your hub has symmetrical flanges, your tension won't be symmetrical.
The left side of the hub holds the rotor, so the flange is necessarily more inboard. The spokes are more vertical on that side. Under tension, each sides's spokes tend to push the hub into the other side. The side with the more vertical spokes have to be more tense to produce a matching force along the hub axis. So the steeper left side needs to be 50% tenser than the right.
Note that the taller left flange offers a very slightly relief to the tension differential, as it minutely improves the angle the spokes sit at.]

There's also truly whack showoff stuff, like:

*Jemaine as David Bowie voice* Am I freaking you out, Bret? Is this a freaky dream?

Anyways... you plug in all the paramters and the calculator spits out two lengths: 261.3 and 264.6mm.
I decided to get 262 and 264 for precut lengths. At no point did I try to hipster it up and do the trigonometry from scratch to get the lengths.
I order 36 spokes and nipples just so I have some spares in case I break anything. Sent off the order and waited.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jul 21, 2021

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
This is an interesting thread, though I'm not sure it's true - the crux of their thesis is that there is often poor cycling infrastructure because the squeaky wheel cyclists are hardcore roadies who don't want to use protected bike lanes because it slows them down. Though I have never spoken to a single cyclist, hardcore 25 mph roadie or not, that didn't want safer protected cycling infrastructure. Those who want to go faster will just use the car lanes at higher risk.

https://twitter.com/Twonius/status/1410285500544475145

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I’ve got a Burley encore x that I really like for kiddos and groceries. We started our son in it at about 1 year.

Same - you can put them in it when they can sit up on their own. Make sure to get a helmet for them!

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Sab0921 posted:

This is an interesting thread, though I'm not sure it's true - the crux of their thesis is that there is often poor cycling infrastructure because the squeaky wheel cyclists are hardcore roadies who don't want to use protected bike lanes because it slows them down. Though I have never spoken to a single cyclist, hardcore 25 mph roadie or not, that didn't want safer protected cycling infrastructure. Those who want to go faster will just use the car lanes at higher risk.

Can’t they make good bike lanes that allow to go fast instead of narrow death trap with lovely surface ?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Sab0921 posted:

It's because they're trying to shoehorn a protected lane in without doing additional work to ensure the main carriageway is not made more dangerous for cyclists using it. It's not cyclists that are a problem here, other than that they exist.

e: essentially the argument being made here by the "squeaky wheel" crew is "please do the job properly".

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Sab0921 posted:

I appreciate what this tweet is trying to do but it's a fairly dumb take. He was lobbying for the addition of sharrows for those who want to go faster than the bike lane would allow. Nothing was at the expense of the protected bike lane which is still going to be built. La Jolla is one of the richest areas in the country, they were able to afford some additional paint. If you read other articles, I think it's quite clear that Issakov cares about the general safety of cyclists and not just his hobby.

https://www.lajollalight.com/news/story/2021-01-23/la-jolla-board-approves-coastal-rail-trail-bikeway-plan-for-gilman-drive-corridor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Vando posted:

It's because they're trying to shoehorn a protected lane in without doing additional work to ensure the main carriageway is not made more dangerous for cyclists using it. It's not cyclists that are a problem here, other than that they exist.

e: essentially the argument being made here by the "squeaky wheel" crew is "please do the job properly".

This is true. Gilman is a long and reasonably fast downhill through a canyon. Sending 25 MPH downhill traffic against 8 MPH uphill traffic on a purposefully narrow cycle path is risky.

The local cycling advocacy groups in San Diego mean well but they're pretty uncritical of projects here. There's a lot of emphasis on getting An Bikepath without thinking about how it will be used or how it fits into the bigger picture.

We also have the same sort of cranks here that put too much energy complaining about people who ride their bikes wrong and wear the wrong clothes while doing it.