Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

skooma512 posted:

If by dorms you mean 10 people (“cast members”) all living in a rented house in Anaheim then sure.

Rise & grind!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

income inequality prior to the revolution was actually less extreme than it is right now
yeah and they spent the next few centuries learning from each episode of social unrest, refining their methods and media narratives to deflect people from power.

everyone was stuck at home during a pandemic last year and the banks were getting bailed out to the tune of trillions while even the pittance given to people for unemployment resulted in the biggest increase in median income in this country in quite some time. what did the powers-that-be do? seize on to a random cop murdering someone racistly and said "actually all the problems in this country are racial at their core, no other explanation" because original sin is an easy out to justify not doing anything

they keep learning new ways to distract people with shiny culture war keys in the media to keep them occupied, while in the background building up their private security and building surveillance systems that past dictators could only have dreamed of.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Throwing 15 trillion at banks to keep the stocks green might have cracked some pings that we haven't seen in modern history yet. The biggest partner of the 2020s interconnected global economy taking everyone down with them when they make the world's reserve currency worthless is vastly different than any nation having an economic collapse in the 1920s.

The question is if we really just can make infinite money to never have an economic downturn. If that works forever then I guess I'm wrong.

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 06:39 on Jul 21, 2021

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
think you made a typo there buddy. "taking everyone down with them" should read "taking everyone UP with them"

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I did not consider that number go up

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I'm tired of saying number goes up

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
what if number is imaginary

down is up, up is down

there is only i

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Real hurthling! posted:

sadly mushrooms have to eat decaying things like wood.

we could remove carbon from earth by growing trees and shooting them to mars loaded in spores i guess

They also eat decaying things like bodies.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
capitalism is mushrooms

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Shipon posted:

yeah and they spent the next few centuries learning from each episode of social unrest, refining their methods and media narratives to deflect people from power.

everyone was stuck at home during a pandemic last year and the banks were getting bailed out to the tune of trillions while even the pittance given to people for unemployment resulted in the biggest increase in median income in this country in quite some time. what did the powers-that-be do? seize on to a random cop murdering someone racistly and said "actually all the problems in this country are racial at their core, no other explanation" because original sin is an easy out to justify not doing anything

they keep learning new ways to distract people with shiny culture war keys in the media to keep them occupied, while in the background building up their private security and building surveillance systems that past dictators could only have dreamed of.

The George Floyd riots and BLM were genuine, the problem is that the democrats / liberals are absolute masters of co-opting a social movement and diverting it into harmless or meaningless ends. Its the same way they dealt with Bernie, in diverting all that genuine energy into telling everyone to vote for people who not only have no intention of making any kind of leftist change, do exactly the opposite of what their constituents want them to do (I.E. shovel more money to cops and the security state) while telling everyone they are the most progressive administration ever

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

i, number

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
lmao @ all the things

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

sat on my keys! posted:

i'm here for it, shoot all cars into space

Motherfucker wants to expropriate the means of production right off the loving planet

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

call me number.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Rectal Death Adept posted:

The question is if we really just can make infinite money to never have an economic downturn. If that works forever then I guess I'm wrong.

It depends on if the money printer can deal with commerce and industry grinding to a halt when all the truckers and longshoremen die or quit because of covid. Some areas are rapidly approaching the line between "No one wants to work anymore" and "We don't have anything to sell anymore"

zetamind2000 has issued a correction as of 09:43 on Jul 21, 2021

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

this is some third-grader "why don't we just shoot all the garbage into space?" logic

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The_Franz posted:

"why don't we just shoot all the garbage into space?"

we just did, but it came back :(

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

https://morningconsult.com/2021/07/14/expiring-unemployment-insurance/ *random thing that came up in search.

I disagree with the way the direct line is being drawn here, but it's interesting to see what a realistic view of the jobs situation is in numbers.

Don't let Jeff get you too down, there's still a chance for Elon!

Shen Long
May 29, 2021

by Athanatos

Feldegast42 posted:

The George Floyd riots and BLM were genuine, the problem is that the democrats / liberals are absolute masters of co-opting a social movement and diverting it into harmless or meaningless ends. Its the same way they dealt with Bernie, in diverting all that genuine energy into telling everyone to vote for people who not only have no intention of making any kind of leftist change, do exactly the opposite of what their constituents want them to do (I.E. shovel more money to cops and the security state) while telling everyone they are the most progressive administration ever

You really think they would do that? Wear African cloth costumes and then just mumble some platitudes and refuse to change anything about the status quo?

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

translation: we ship all poor people to labour space so the rich can live on earth

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
:siren:Bitcoin approaching 32k!!! Was the bottom in????? :siren:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Stairmaster posted:

its the premise of gundam you philistine

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

Rise & grind!

I'm listening to a horror podcast (The Silt Verses) set in a modern world except gods are many, real and everywhere and what is essentially the Pantheon of Capitalism won a big holy war a few decades back. One of these gods is The Grinding Lord, who promotes working instead of sleeping and sees drinking its brand of lovely coffee as a sacrament.

Anyway it's only a matter of time until Mickey Mouse and that Amazon smile ascend to godhood and start affecting the world on a metaphyiscal level but beyond a sudden rise in body horror I'm not sure I'll be able to tell the difference.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

A 2x4x8 is still $6.89

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Gorson posted:

A 2x4x8 is still $6.89

Its boomer poo poo now to compare prices to what you remember them to be.. nothing will ever be as "cheap" as it was :smith:. Why would a 2x4 ever be $2 again

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

turns out price stickiness applies to actual sticks

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Its boomer poo poo now to compare prices to what you remember them to be.. nothing will ever be as "cheap" as it was :smith:. Why would a 2x4 ever be $2 again

It won't, even though lumber futures have plummeted, and that's my entire point. The price of a 2x4x8 affects construction costs, which affects housing costs, and more money for materials means less money for workers.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

don’t nerf prices! boost salaries! it’s the ARPG balancing woes all over again.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

what we see in the pharmaceutical industry a lot is: a dozen manufacturers supplying a cheap generic drug > "supply issue" occurs (large drug or precursor recall, drug factory catches fire, 6 of the manufacturers owned by one company spontaneously decide to stop importing the drug, company files for bankruptcy because of fines, etc) > the most expensive generics and brand are the only thing available for months > supply recovers, but at an elevated price

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

we had a drug, chordiazepoxide-clidinium, used for alchohol withdrawal symptoms mostly, we were purchasing a bottle of 100 for about $20... we run out and go to order more but all the manufactures priced $20 to $980 were sold out, and the problem with that is you can buy the $980 bottle the insurance pretty much reimburses the pharmacy for the $20 generic, not the $980 one

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.

Gorson posted:

It won't, even though lumber futures have plummeted, and that's my entire point. The price of a 2x4x8 affects construction costs, which affects housing costs, and more money for materials means less money for workers.

it's true. landscape timbers are 4 times the size of a 2x4 and about the same price. It's time to build your lincoln log cabin

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

besoz in "space": so anyone can just leave ?! *thought bubble: Kessler syndrome* we need to pollute up here faster.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Throwing 15 trillion at banks to keep the stocks green might have cracked some pings that we haven't seen in modern history yet. The biggest partner of the 2020s interconnected global economy taking everyone down with them when they make the world's reserve currency worthless is vastly different than any nation having an economic collapse in the 1920s.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I haven't seen the extent of the Fed's money printing really penetrate into the popular consciousness. The 2008 bailouts got way more attention because monetary policy is just drastically more obscure than fiscal policy. If I were a cynical man, I'd say that's exactly why it was all handled so quietly this time around.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

most people go to space and see how small the earth is and gain a new perspective, bezos spent 10 minutes in a universe with no labor laws or regulations and came to this conclusion

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Lpzie posted:

besoz in "space": so anyone can just leave ?! *thought bubble: Kessler syndrome* we need to pollute up here faster.

:hmmyes:

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Jabronie posted:

it's true. landscape timbers are 4 times the size of a 2x4 and about the same price. It's time to build your lincoln log cabin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYJKd0rkKss

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Fellatio del Toro posted:

most people go to space and see how small the earth is and gain a new perspective, bezos spent 10 minutes in a universe with no labor laws or regulations and came to this conclusion

send bezos to mars

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Popoto posted:

send bezos to mars

Isn’t this the plot to the Doom remake? Big corporation goes to Mars and with no oversight opens a portal to hell looking for cheap infinite energy.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

That was always the plot to Doom just modern games were able to put story in the game rather than the game manual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Can't even gently caress off to the woods these days, all the world's land is owned by someone. Maybe in a few years when the infrastructure to enforce it collapses.