Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
where do i buy more of the prisms to rip illusions out of my gear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

SuperKlaus posted:

You can buy Glamour Dispellers from your Grand Company Quartermaster for 200 Company Seals each, or just buy them off the marketboard. You then right click the item you want to return to normal, hit glamour, then remove, which will consume a dispeller

Halfling Wizard Bear
Oct 12, 2003

I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people.

cams posted:

i'm not gonna redeem my code until i hit 60 or the end of main story content, but i immediately bought it in case they "sell out" again

Yeah, I bought the complete edition for 25 bucks a month and a half ago and still haven't applied the code. It's crazy how much content this game gives you for free.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

SuperKlaus posted:

You can also make them with crafting, but if you didn't know this you probably can't do it yet.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Chillgamesh posted:

You can buy Glamour Dispellers from your Grand Company Quartermaster for 200 Company Seals each, or just buy them off the marketboard. You then right click the item you want to return to normal, hit glamour, then remove, which will consume a dispeller

Sorry I phrased that poorly. I mean the Prisms that let me claim a new illusion out of something I have and add a new illusion to my collection. Those also craft and seals?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

SuperKlaus posted:

Sorry I phrased that poorly. I mean the Prisms that let me claim a new illusion out of something I have and add a new illusion to my collection. Those also craft and seals?

Yeah, glamour prisms are available in the same places, IIRC.

The nice thing about the glamour dresser is that it only costs prisms to put things into it. Applying an outfit is free, though it weirdly does still require the proper number of dispellers to strip one from gear.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

SuperKlaus posted:

Those are also from your GC for 200 seals, they should be right next to each other I think.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Also, if you dye a piece of gear before sticking it in your glamour dresser, it saves the dye in the dresser and any outfit you make with that piece of gear will retain the color. You can add dye to an outfit without overwriting the original saved color, too.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
For those whom it may concern, the full game of FF14 is currently on a 55% off sale.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Chillgamesh posted:

Also, if you dye a piece of gear before sticking it in your glamour dresser, it saves the dye in the dresser and any outfit you make with that piece of gear will retain the color. You can add dye to an outfit without overwriting the original saved color, too.

You can dye the item while it's in the dresser too, it'll keep just as well. It's only when you use dyes on a plate that you'll lose it if you ever change that slot.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Just did a dungeon and my pals killed the boss while I was in cutscene land, sorry guys.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I play a healer so sometimes when I finish watching a cutscene I discover that the rest of the party is dying or dead

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Pwnstar posted:

Just did a dungeon and my pals killed the boss while I was in cutscene land, sorry guys.

Lemme guess - the Thousand Maws of Toto-Rak? That's one of the more infamous ones due to the extremely lengthy cutscene preceding the final boss the first time you run it. It's fairly common for a group of veterans rushing through it to get it over with (because let's be honest, it's one of the worst early dungeons in terms of overall design and flow) to not realize they've got a sprout stuck watching the cutscene up on the cliff when they jump down to start the fight.

Either way, don't stress about it - the story is the whole point of the game, and most groups will usually apologize once they realize their mistake, or at the very least not make a fuss about it since people who've run the dungeon before get some bonus rewards if there's at least one person doing the dungeon for the first time.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

W.T. Fits posted:

Lemme guess - the Thousand Maws of Toto-Rak? That's one of the more infamous ones due to the extremely lengthy cutscene preceding the final boss the first time you run it. It's fairly common for a group of veterans rushing through it to get it over with (because let's be honest, it's one of the worst early dungeons in terms of overall design and flow) to not realize they've got a sprout stuck watching the cutscene up on the cliff when they jump down to start the fight.

Either way, don't stress about it - the story is the whole point of the game, and most groups will usually apologize once they realize their mistake, or at the very least not make a fuss about it since people who've run the dungeon before get some bonus rewards if there's at least one person doing the dungeon for the first time.

That's the one. It was funny so it was worth it imo.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Qwertycoatl posted:

I play a healer so sometimes when I finish watching a cutscene I discover that the rest of the party is dying or dead

The first time I did the current highest difficulty dungeon this happened to me and everyone was only almost dead. I had a choice between zoning in and trying to save the day in a fight I had never seen before, or letting the two goon dps who queued with me die. So I charged in, ressed the DPS and promptly died. Luckily they were a RDM and a SMN, so we had a wheel of deaths and resurrections as I died to mechanics I'd never seen before, and everyone else died from lack of healing as I tried to pull my mp out of the toilet. Still cleared it, but drat it was hectic.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Missing the boss of Toto-rak is basically a rite of passage

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

For those whom it may concern, the full game of FF14 is currently on a 55% off sale.

Looks like 60% to me...is the collector's edition also on a sale because I don't even see a collector's edition on the squeenix web site. My resolve could weaken re: that tubby borb mount, if the price was right...

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

SuperKlaus posted:

Looks like 60% to me...is the collector's edition also on a sale because I don't even see a collector's edition on the squeenix web site. My resolve could weaken re: that tubby borb mount, if the price was right...

That's done through mogstation rather than the SE store I think? And it looks like no, seems like the collector's edition upgrade for everything is full price right now - $20 per expansion set/ARR or $80 for all of them.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Bummer! I see a sale on shadow bringers Collectors Edition on the store so I was wondering.

Hey, the collector's edition is on sale for Europe and Australia but not NA, at least not this instant...?

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 21, 2021

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Been playing for a few weeks and enjoying it so far; I've played a bunch of MMOs in the past, mostly City of Heroes and LOTRO.

Is it normal to get incredibly overleveled for the main quest line, though? I normally don't care how fast or slow I level up, but I created a couple of characters on smaller servers (because I prefer to avoid crowds) and found they got a big XP buff, to the point where I'm playing a level 45 character on level 25-30 missions. Even the characters I have on larger servers, who don't have the XP boost, are running well ahead of the main quest mission level, and I'm not even trying to grab every sidequest that comes along.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yeah, it's normal. They changed leveling classes to be much easier for people leveling up multiple classes on the same character, so the MSQ overlevels people drastically.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Selachian posted:

Is it normal to get incredibly overleveled for the main quest line, though? I normally don't care how fast or slow I level up, but I created a couple of characters on smaller servers (because I prefer to avoid crowds) and found they got a big XP buff, to the point where I'm playing a level 45 character on level 25-30 missions. Even the characters I have on larger servers, who don't have the XP boost, are running well ahead of the main quest mission level, and I'm not even trying to grab every sidequest that comes along.

Yeah, it's pretty normal, especially with all the XP boosts that come along.

You can level multiple jobs by using one job for dungeons and one for quest turnins (or mix and match)

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Qwertycoatl posted:

Yeah, it's pretty normal, especially with all the XP boosts that come along.

You can level multiple jobs by using one job for dungeons and one for quest turnins (or mix and match)
as someone who just did it (on a non-boosted server) it paces out pretty well. i exclusively did the main story, job quests, and nothing else, and was 4-6 levels ahead of the main story until the mid 40s, when it started to catch up. when i was level 47, the msq jumped from 46 to 49 (50 maybe) and i had to do two roulette dungeons to catch up. it works out well when you just want to do main story as soon as possible with no other leveling.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

cams posted:

this person tried to trick me into buying the game at full price! the complete edition is currently on sale for 60% off! everyone should buy it!

i'm not gonna redeem my code until i hit 60 or the end of main story content, but i immediately bought it in case they "sell out" again

Yep, I got completely dunked on by Square. I even figured with the population boom they wouldn't dare to put it on sale right now! Shows what I know.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
I have friends that are on the free trial and don't play too frequently. They're nowhere near the end of the free trial and will not get to SB by Endwalker release.

The complete version isn't worth it, right? If anything, they should get the base game and then an Endwalker code when they're done with HW, right?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

If they're going slow enough they'll will definitely not finish HW by Endwalker them yes.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
How will endwalker work? Will you go straight from ARR to there, or do we still go through the other expacs as well?>

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The same as all the other expacs, you have to do them in order.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

abigserve posted:

How will endwalker work? Will you go straight from ARR to there, or do we still go through the other expacs as well?>

All expansions are a contiguous story. ARR leads into Heavensward leads into Stormblood and so on. The patch content for each expansion bridges the story between them.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

abigserve posted:

The MSQ is 100% linear, except for a couple parts where you get to pick one set of quests to do before the other, but you have to do all of them. It's more like a JRPG than the usual MMO story, you can go do sidequests in whatever order but the main story is the main story.

Unless you buy a story skip (don't do this), you'll have to play through all the expacs.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Content is gated by MSQ progression more so than your level

Dedekind
Sep 6, 2003

The blasphemer, uncontrite, must be punished mightily.

W.T. Fits posted:

Lemme guess - the Thousand Maws of Toto-Rak? That's one of the more infamous ones due to the extremely lengthy cutscene preceding the final boss the first time you run it.

The other problem is that the boss is on a hair trigger. You don’t have to jump off the ledge to start things off, just get too close to the edge and you’ll be sucked in.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The third problem is that there are two separate cutscenes for that boss. One where you're on the unlock quest, and one where you're not.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

That's the one. It was funny so it was worth it imo.

That fight also "sucks" you into the arena when you jump off the little platform, which starts the fight. Someone might have done that unknowingly which is unfortunate. Rest assured, however, that you will likely have many opportunities to fight it properly and enjoy toto-rak in leveling roulette in the future.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
is there a list of fun/worthwhile side stuff to do? Im sort of just beelining the story and i have no idea if im missing out on anything, except trying to do any + sign quests i come across if they seem like theyre anything worthwhile. Right now they all seem like theyre for unlocking hard dungeons and i kind of dont want to just run all of them to clear the quests.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
I'll quote myself from last time that question was asked in the main thread.

Stuff to do at 50 in general, in some rough order of how interesting it is:
  • First, note that you now get Allagan Tomestones of Poetics from, well, most things you do in groups. You can spend these on ilvl 130 gear in the major cities, which will last you until midway through the Heavensward MSQ.
  • Do the 24-man raids for Crystal Tower. They're even mandatory to progress the MSQ later nowadays, but used to be worth it anyhow. Like all the 24-mans they're easily done in random queue. Their design is quite outdated, especially for the first two, but they're reasonably fun the first time. Starts with the quest Legacy of Allag in Mor Dhona.
  • Do the Hildibrand questline. It's a very japanese slapstick comedy where the devs see how far they can stretch the animation engine for laughs. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but a nice break overall. Starts with the quest The Rise and Fall of Gentlemen in Ul'dah.
  • Start the Relic Weapon series. I don't recommend trying to finish it, the books are a grind and a half, but the first few steps are easy enough. You'll unlock a couple of new trials and get some potentially cool weapon glams. Starts with the quest The Weaponsmith of Legend in Vesper Bay.
  • Grab an 80 goon or two and do the Binding Coils of Bahamut 8-man raid. Later 8-mans can be done in roulettes, but Coils is an exception. You're not going to get a ton out of the fights, but you do get some backstory on what the hell was up with that big moon with a dragon in it everyone has been talking about, and it introduces some NPCs that will be very important later. Starts with the quest Primal Awakening in the Waking Sands.
  • There are I think 15 optional dungeons, most of which start in Mor Dhona or a faction capital. Many of them are a bit old and weird -- Squeenix didn't really figure out how they want to do dungeons until the last few ARR patches -- but they're usually an interesting weird. Occasionally and unfortunately they're sometimes also bad weird, Stone Vigil (Hard) is one example of experimentation that did not work. Note that in FF14 the hardmode versions of old dungeons are very different from their normal mode cousins, with completely different bosses and so on. They're not actually very hard.
  • Start the postmoogle quests. It's a long series of side quests where you learn more about various tertiary characters. The rewards are a lot of text, a slathering of innuendo and a pair of star-spangled underwear. It's very insignificant and there's a lot of it so don't try to shotgun the entire thing, but like Hildibrand it can be a nice diversion. Starts with the quest Of Errant Epistles in Mor Dhona.
  • If you have a willing L80 friend you could run through the Extreme versions of the Primal fights a couple of times. Each drops a mount relatively often, and getting all of their mounts gives you a quest for an especially shiny horse. Having someone to do all of them repeatedly is a bit of an ask, though, getting all the horses will take a couple of hours. You can expect that people will be happy to run them once after the weekly reset: there's a weekly quest of sorts players get in HW ("the catbook") that gives everyone 16 random old raids and dungeons to clear for cool stuff, usually including at least 3 of the ARR Extremes. The quests are generally handed out in the Waking Sands or by the minstrel/producer stand-in in the Rising Stones.

In general I think bumming around each expansion cap as you get there and doing the raids and optional dungeons is fun, but if you feel you'd rather get on with things then do that. The ARR former endgame is a lot jankier than the equivalent in HW and later, and it's not like the dungeons are going anywhere. There is a lot of game left either way so do what seems amusing.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

For the "Some Dungeon (Hard)" blue quests, you can just leave them at the "now go into a dungeon" stage and gradually randomly complete them through the dungeon roulette.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Something I haven't seen mentioned - if you're a trialist in Europe, the goon FC has set up a linkshell (basically a chat channel) to give trial players a place they can ask questions, get groups etc whilst getting around the restriction of not being able to join an FC.

If that sounds useful to you, join the PCD discord (https://discord.gg/HXFJJVD) and we'll get it sorted out! Thanks to Cythereal for adding the link to the OP too.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Xerophyte posted:

I'll quote myself from last time that question was asked in the main thread.

Stuff to do at 50 in general, in some rough order of how interesting it is:
  • First, note that you now get Allagan Tomestones of Poetics from, well, most things you do in groups. You can spend these on ilvl 130 gear in the major cities, which will last you until midway through the Heavensward MSQ.
  • Do the 24-man raids for Crystal Tower. They're even mandatory to progress the MSQ later nowadays, but used to be worth it anyhow. Like all the 24-mans they're easily done in random queue. Their design is quite outdated, especially for the first two, but they're reasonably fun the first time. Starts with the quest Legacy of Allag in Mor Dhona.
  • Do the Hildibrand questline. It's a very japanese slapstick comedy where the devs see how far they can stretch the animation engine for laughs. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but a nice break overall. Starts with the quest The Rise and Fall of Gentlemen in Ul'dah.
  • Start the Relic Weapon series. I don't recommend trying to finish it, the books are a grind and a half, but the first few steps are easy enough. You'll unlock a couple of new trials and get some potentially cool weapon glams. Starts with the quest The Weaponsmith of Legend in Vesper Bay.
  • Grab an 80 goon or two and do the Binding Coils of Bahamut 8-man raid. Later 8-mans can be done in roulettes, but Coils is an exception. You're not going to get a ton out of the fights, but you do get some backstory on what the hell was up with that big moon with a dragon in it everyone has been talking about, and it introduces some NPCs that will be very important later. Starts with the quest Primal Awakening in the Waking Sands.
  • There are I think 15 optional dungeons, most of which start in Mor Dhona or a faction capital. Many of them are a bit old and weird -- Squeenix didn't really figure out how they want to do dungeons until the last few ARR patches -- but they're usually an interesting weird. Occasionally and unfortunately they're sometimes also bad weird, Stone Vigil (Hard) is one example of experimentation that did not work. Note that in FF14 the hardmode versions of old dungeons are very different from their normal mode cousins, with completely different bosses and so on. They're not actually very hard.
  • Start the postmoogle quests. It's a long series of side quests where you learn more about various tertiary characters. The rewards are a lot of text, a slathering of innuendo and a pair of star-spangled underwear. It's very insignificant and there's a lot of it so don't try to shotgun the entire thing, but like Hildibrand it can be a nice diversion. Starts with the quest Of Errant Epistles in Mor Dhona.
  • If you have a willing L80 friend you could run through the Extreme versions of the Primal fights a couple of times. Each drops a mount relatively often, and getting all of their mounts gives you a quest for an especially shiny horse. Having someone to do all of them repeatedly is a bit of an ask, though, getting all the horses will take a couple of hours. You can expect that people will be happy to run them once after the weekly reset: there's a weekly quest of sorts players get in HW ("the catbook") that gives everyone 16 random old raids and dungeons to clear for cool stuff, usually including at least 3 of the ARR Extremes. The quests are generally handed out in the Waking Sands or by the minstrel/producer stand-in in the Rising Stones.

In general I think bumming around each expansion cap as you get there and doing the raids and optional dungeons is fun, but if you feel you'd rather get on with things then do that. The ARR former endgame is a lot jankier than the equivalent in HW and later, and it's not like the dungeons are going anywhere. There is a lot of game left either way so do what seems amusing.

Thanks for the advice. I think im about to reach stormblood because im going full psycho mode on the story quests but those are some good suggestions. I keep seeing people talk about relic weapons and raids i dont know about and stuff like that so i always wonder if theres anything worthwhile im missing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
If you're at the HW endgame then you can also do the 8-man and 24-man raid series for that expansion. They're both easily done in queues and better designed than their ARR counterparts since HW is pretty much when Squeenix got a handle on how they want the game to work. The 8-man starts with the quest Disarmed in Idyllshire and the 24-man starts with the quest Sky Pirates in The Pillars.

If you're playing on one of the goon datacenters (Chaos or Primal) I'd actually recommend trying to arrange a group for a min ilvl run through the 8-man raid if you can be arsed. It's a lot more fun, especially for the early bosses.