Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I find Steam's controller support works more reliably if a game is launched from BP mode. Steam pops up a alert as the game launches, bottom right, showing the controller mapping in use - the controller is reliably initialized for that game at that point.

I don't like BP mode at all, but do use it to launch any game for which I'm using a controller - even if I'm not configuring it to do anything special.

BP's big saving grace is that if you hammer the action button (X on a DS4) once BP launches, it will by default take you through 4-5 button presses that launch the last game you played - whoever designed that sequence of defaults at Valve was super smart, give them a raise. It's otherwise large, clunky and takes up my whole screen.

Added some shortcuts in Steam's global controller settings that make BP easier to handle. DS4 button names, but works on my other controllers too:
PS + O = Launch BP
PS + X = Quit BP
PS + Triangle = Turn off controller

That last turn off controller binding works with the DS4, but not with the XBox Elite 2. Saves battery.

So, PS+O, hammer X till game launches, wait for steam pop window. When game is done, quit it, then PS+X/Triangle. I barely see the actual BP screen this way other than to launch some other game.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I think the key is that it comes from point spread systems where you roll six scores or whatever and assign them to each of your stats (rather than point-buy systems), meaning you end up designating one stat as the dump where you put the shittiest score you rolled.

Now that actually does make sense!

v1ld posted:

I find Steam's advanced controller support works more reliably if a game is launched from BP mode. Steam pops up a alert as the game launches, bottom right, showing the controller mapping in use - the controller is reliably initialized for that game at that point.

Interesting. Maybe I'll try it in the future when a game just decides to not recognize my controller for no perceivable reason. Like Death's Door actually, had to use my old 360 controller with the squeaky stick

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
All things being equal about dumping into or dumping out of, the connotation of the dump being where your garbage goes or the action of making GBS threads in your toilet is doing some extra work here. See also the maligned Dump Cake for missing the memo that dumping is bad.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

v1ld posted:

I find Steam's advanced controller support works more reliably if a game is launched from BP mode. Steam pops up a alert as the game launches, bottom right, showing the controller mapping in use - the controller is reliably initialized for that game at that point.

I don't like BP mode at all, but do use it to launch any game for which I'm using a controller - even if I'm not configuring it to do anything special.

That’s weird, I’ve found it to be the complete opposite, and plugging controllers in and getting the little popup in the corner letting me know the controller is connected works right in desktop but is a tossup in in BPM. What a stupid feature. I really wish there was a way to remove the button from the menus entirely, but as it is I just keep accidentally hitting it when switching between large and small mode.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Play posted:

Interesting. Maybe I'll try it in the future when a game just decides to not recognize my controller for no perceivable reason. Like Death's Door actually, had to use my old 360 controller with the squeaky stick

That will almost certainly go away if you launch the game through BP mode. This is why I use BP when using a controller. Edited my post to remove the word advanced from that first sentence.

I even launch emulators like Dolphin/Citra through Steam BP for reliable controller mapping. Add them as external games, then launch through BP as usual. The controller then shows up in the emulator's config screens reliably.

Check out (in BP mode) Settings Gear icon > Controller Basic Configurations > Steam Button Chorded settings. That's where you can set bindings for PS/Xbox button + other buttons. And those binding options include start/stop BP, turn off controller.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 21, 2021

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Gutcruncher posted:

That’s weird, I’ve found it to be the complete opposite, and plugging controllers in and getting the little popup in the corner letting me know the controller is connected works right in desktop but is a tossup in in BPM. What a stupid feature. I really wish there was a way to remove the button from the menus entirely, but as it is I just keep accidentally hitting it when switching between large and small mode.

Are you running any other controller mapping software? I stopped using DS4Windows etc and gave my soul over to Steam, so maybe that's it?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

It's a dump stat because a barbarian 'dumps' his int into the same way he dumps the corpses of his foes off of a bridge
It's trash and he doesn't want it

Think of it as dumping your ex :haw:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

v1ld posted:

Are you running any other controller mapping software? I stopped using DS4Windows etc and gave my soul over to Steam, so maybe that's it?

Nope just Steam. I just go to Settings - Controllers from desktop and enable my controllers from there. Never touch BPM at all. works perfectly except on a handful of old Japanese games, which I just rightclick on and set to ignore Steam’s controller settings.

To be fair since I avoid BPM like the plague maybe it just had issues a couple times and that’s all I remember from using it, but since controller setup can be done entirely without launching BPM then why bother launching it?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Gutcruncher posted:

To be fair since I avoid BPM like the plague maybe it just had issues a couple times and that’s all I remember from using it, but since controller setup can be done entirely without launching BPM then why bother launching it?

And I'm probably doing the exact opposite, but really the same thing: had problems without BP 7-8 years ago, found a method that worked consistently for me and then stuck with it.

Though I've had issues with some games even recently when using controllers without BP mode.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Speaking of controllers, it sucks that Steam will allow you to hook up a switch Joycon, but it doesn’t have a feature to let you use two joycons as two halves of one controller. I would totally use that for times when I’m playing from bed instead of sitting in my desk chair.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Mafia Definitive Edition is on sale at GMG right now. I loved the original and the new one got pretty great reviews when it released. But when I looked at some gameplay footage I felt they had padded some sections with unnecessary "modern" action. Like in the very first mission in the original you escape like 2 cars in a chase, only relying on your driving skills. In the definitive edition you use obstacles that are marked on your minimap in order to loose the tail, which consists of waves of cars coming after you. A lot of the charm of the original was the feeling of realism, you rarely went up against more than a few enemies at the same time and you could be killed in a matter of seconds. Now it looks like a standard cover shooter à la Mafia 2 and 3. Admittedly, some of the missions of the original were also tedious trial and error affairs, but the sense of accomplishment when you really did pull off some crazy stunt or walked away from a big shoot-out was great.

Has anyone played it and care to share their thoughts?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Mafia Definitive Edition is on sale at GMG right now. I loved the original and the new one got pretty great reviews when it released. But when I looked at some gameplay footage I felt they had padded some sections with unnecessary "modern" action. Like in the very first mission in the original you escape like 2 cars in a chase, only relying on your driving skills. In the definitive edition you use obstacles that are marked on your minimap in order to loose the tail, which consists of waves of cars coming after you. A lot of the charm of the original was the feeling of realism, you rarely went up against more than a few enemies at the same time and you could be killed in a matter of seconds. Now it looks like a standard cover shooter à la Mafia 2 and 3. Admittedly, some of the missions of the original were also tedious trial and error affairs, but the sense of accomplishment when you really did pull off some crazy stunt or walked away from a big shoot-out was great.

Has anyone played it and care to share their thoughts?

I thought it was p good. Never totally finished it, one of those things where I put it off since I didn't want it to end but haven't gotten back to it yet. It's fun to just follow along with the story, it looks nice and there was a lot of work put in to make these missions look and play like they do. Great voice acting, great music. Decent to mediocre gunplay. Pretty good mission design though, it's got that old game thing where missions weren't just pale copies of each other but a lot of times were there own full set pieces.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

It's a dump stat because a barbarian 'dumps' his int into the same way he dumps the corpses of his foes off of a bridge
It's trash and he doesn't want it

I love that in PoE intellect affects your aoe radius. So a super genius barbarian can cleave 10 people at once. I feel like that game had a much better balance in making almost all stats useful. But then it became really hard figuring out where you could skimp points for your build.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

bamhand posted:

I love that in PoE intellect affects your aoe radius. So a super genius barbarian can cleave 10 people at once. I feel like that game had a much better balance in making almost all stats useful. But then it became really hard figuring out where you could skimp points for your build.
IIRC through most of the backer beta and maybe a patch or two into release you kept your barbarians intelligent and your wizards unintelligent because cleave did not friendly fire but wizard spells did. They eventually made the extra area not do friendly fire and wizards could be smart again.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Epic Game Store has some solid free games right now: Obduction (spiritual successor to Myst) and Offworld Trading Company.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
So people who are playing Death’s Door: is it a roguelike / procedurally generated kind of a thing or is it an actiony Zelda game? I have enough of the former and would really love a good Zelda right about now.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

OzFactor posted:

So people who are playing Death’s Door: is it a roguelike / procedurally generated kind of a thing or is it an actiony Zelda game? I have enough of the former and would really love a good Zelda right about now.

It is the latter, all handcrafted, no roguelike elements at all. It's very much like a 3/4 view Zelda with a focus on dungeons and combat, also has puzzle type things and a story.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I just finished Ocean's Heart and it's a very nice Zelda-like. Plenty of charm, nice art, good length (10-15 hours), lots of secrets and side quests. It's easy, but that was welcome for me, and there's an in-world method of increasing the difficulty for those that want it.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

Play posted:

It is the latter, all handcrafted, no roguelike elements at all. It's very much like a 3/4 view Zelda with a focus on dungeons and combat, also has puzzle type things and a story.

!!!

Why the hell did I think it was a roguelike?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Play posted:

Rad, it is now firmly on the list.

Sway Grunt posted:

I just finished Ocean's Heart and it's a very nice Zelda-like. Plenty of charm, nice art, good length (10-15 hours), lots of secrets and side quests. It's easy, but that was welcome for me, and there's an in-world method of increasing the difficulty for those that want it.

This looks neat too, thanks!

Trickyblackjack posted:

!!!

Because they're all like that.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Palpek posted:

Epic Game Store has some solid free games right now: Obduction (spiritual successor to Myst) and Offworld Trading Company.

You could also consider buying Old World, the new game from the OTC devs + me! :v:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

drat, Death's Door looks loving amazing, thanks for the heads up people.

Darkrenown posted:

You could also consider buying Old World, the new game from the OTC devs + me! :v:
I checked the trailer and a couple of reviews and it looks great! From what I can tell it's a bit of a mix of Civilization and Crusader Kings which sounds very interesting.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Palpek posted:

drat, Death's Door looks loving amazing, thanks for the heads up people.

I checked the trailer and a couple of reviews and it looks great! From what I can tell it's a bit of a mix of Civilization and Crusader Kings which sounds very interesting.

There's an Old World thread but it's not super active

That's exactly what it is, so if the idea of developing a civ with your own dynasty sounds appealing, dig in

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Trickyblackjack posted:

If it makes you feel better, until I watched a video review, I also thought it was a roguelike.

I'm so tired of roguelikes.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Fortunately the Streets of Rage 4 survival mode DLC was released, so no more roguelikes will be necessary.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

exquisite tea posted:

Fortunately the Streets of Rage 4 survival mode DLC was released, so no more roguelikes will be necessary.

Waiwut? That sounds rad

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Mini Motorways is fun and addictive. I was like thirty minutes late to work after lunch I just didn't want to stop growing my city.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Roguelikes suck rear end.

Procedural generated levels are garbage and having to fight the exact same things over and over again is super tedious.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

explosivo posted:

Waiwut? That sounds rad

It's rad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6TyzP-di70

Play
Apr 25, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

Procedural generated levels are garbage and having to fight the exact same things over and over again is super tedious.

I like Roguelikes because they actually make you start over when you die. Normal games are for little babies who don't understand that death is permanent and need savescumming and checkpoints to hold their little baby hands and guide them safely through the experience

I'm joking of course. Mostly

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Death's Door is good, can confirm. I've been playing off and on today after starting last night. Not sure how many hours because I tend to pause for hours at a time (toddler life) but I would say no more than 5 and according to the file select I'm about 1/3 complete. I'm all for short and good these days so that sounds perfect to me.
The level design is really good, it's probably my favorite thing so far. You activate doors that serve as checkpoints and a way to get to the central hub where you find upgrades, and even though there's only one door per area or dungeon you're never far from them because of all the shortcuts you unlock as you explore.
My only real complaint is there's no map and I'm directionally challenged so when I respawn (at the doors) there's always a few moments of "how the gently caress do I get back" before I recognize a ladder I dropped or something.
I also think it's a little stingy with health upgrades (I've only found one health crystal, and it takes four to get another health bar). You only start with four health bars and a hit takes one whole bar so it's pretty unforgiving. Enemies don't drop any health so you really have to be careful. There are flower pots scattered around and you can plant seeds that will grow flowers to recover health. The flowers only grow when you go through a door though so they're functionally a one time use unless you backtrack.

Overall I think this game is easily worth the :20bux: especially if you like the 2D Zeldas and like me refuse to pay $60 for the Link's Awakening remake.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

I somehow got into a procedural dungeon in the extremely bad and over-and-over-tedious game grim dawn, and that part was actually fun

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Hwurmp posted:

the human eye can't see above 480i anyway
That's actually a misnomer, the human eye can see 4K on a GTX 480 TI.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Does the Link's Awakening remake add any new or alternate content? Had the DX as a kid and played the poo poo out of it, thought about grabbing for PC, but if it's just the exact same game 1:1 with new paint, meh.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Khanstant posted:

Does the Link's Awakening remake add any new or alternate content? Had the DX as a kid and played the poo poo out of it, thought about grabbing for PC, but if it's just the exact same game 1:1 with new paint, meh.

Unless something massively changed, I don't believe any Zelda games are available on PC, much less that one.

To answer your question though, not really. It is exactly the original game, with one extra bonus mode that sucks and some extra collectible statues to find. Which is exactly what I wanted, but I can see being disappointed with it, especially since it's a full price game.

Morganus_Starr
Jan 28, 2001

The Gripper posted:

That's actually a misnomer, the human eye can see 4K on a GTX 480 TI.

That's correct, humans cannot see past 4k, 30 fps. Anything higher is an optical illusion called "persistence of vision".

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Begemot posted:

Unless something massively changed, I don't believe any Zelda games are available on PC, much less that one.

To answer your question though, not really. It is exactly the original game, with one extra bonus mode that sucks and some extra collectible statues to find. Which is exactly what I wanted, but I can see being disappointed with it, especially since it's a full price game.

Reckon just a matter of what you consider "available." Nintendo doesn't want to make money on PC sales of their games but their games are all playable on PC regardless. Even Skyward sword is already fully playable in Yuzu at 60 FPS. Link's Awakening as well, with a few mod options.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

How're Afterparty and Book of Demons? They're in this Fanatical Bundle. I seem to recall that Afterparty was made by the Oxenfree people and that one was well reviewed. Book of Demons is a...paper themed Diablo-like?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Artelier posted:

How're Afterparty and Book of Demons? They're in this Fanatical Bundle. I seem to recall that Afterparty was made by the Oxenfree people and that one was well reviewed. Book of Demons is a...paper themed Diablo-like?

Afterparty is not great. It's got enough that's good that you could see how it could be better but it's not particularly fun to play. You'd get the same, or an even better, experience watching a Let's Play.

Book of Demons is interesting as it's a super stripped down Diablo with a lot of sharp edges filed away. It's not a big game but it's very well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

punk rebel ecks posted:

I hate most roguelikes. But Returnal is good!