Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
we're gonna use the power of the azem stone to summon all our allies from both worlds like the ending of avengers. this is of course the part where the trailer theme starts playing

edit: also this is the part where we do that ascian symbol over our face thing before the final boss. the callbacks to previous themes in the trailer theme play when the final boss, lavos, mimics the mechanics of the previous final boss

petcarcharodon fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

petcarcharodon posted:

edit: also this is the part where we do that ascian symbol over our face thing before the final boss

I have no idea if I'd love or hate this.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

petcarcharodon posted:

we're gonna use the power of the azem stone to summon all our allies from both worlds like the ending of avengers. this is of course the part where the trailer theme starts playing

edit: also this is the part where we do that ascian symbol over our face thing before the final boss. the callbacks to previous themes in the trailer theme play when the final boss, lavos, mimics the mechanics of the previous final boss

gently caress yes

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Nah it shouldn't be the title theme, it should be the slow shb version of Maker's Ruin turning into the upbeat swelling orchestral one cementing it as our theme.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

petcarcharodon posted:

gently caress yeah. I'm down.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

sexpig by night posted:

incredibly excited, between wrapping up this storyline and two cities I've been dying to visit since they were mentioned first and two awesome classes EW is looking fantastic. Plus they kept Ishikawa on as head writer and, come on, how can anyone not be excited for that after her writing in ShB?

Surprising nobody, I'm not, and part of it is exactly that.

I think Ishikawa has a very specific favorite story arc, which I would describe in brief as 'abject monster has a sympathetic backstory, learn about it just before their final stand and feel bad for them during the final battle/death scene'. It's there with Emet, it's there with Elidibus, it's there with Yotsuyu twice, it's there with Fray... she can write other kinds of villains, and even do it really well (Vauthry and Mitron, I think she was responsible for Karasu, she came up with Ysayle's concept but didn't write her in HW), but the 'complete monster with just-pre-finale sympathy play' is both her most popular trick, and her favorite.

Normally that's fine, she's good at it even if I don't like those characters. But she's said that her favorite character going into Endwalker is, specifically, Fandaniel. And that worries me, because Fandaniel's strengths are exactly opposed to that approach: he's good because he's just terrible, he's an unrepentant bastard that we want nothing more from than to beat his rear end and feel pure catharsis for it. Not only does that approach not need the eleventh-hour sympathy play, it would actually suffer from it. And yet I worry that she's marked him as her favorite because she thinks she has a really good idea for how to make us feel bad for THIS one.

EDIT: also surprising nobody, I hate the idea that we'd do the Ascian sigil-reveal thing. No, gently caress that, our sign of strength and value is punching our palm.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 22, 2021

Phantom Limb
Jun 30, 2005

blargh

petcarcharodon posted:

ascian symbol is the 1.0 legacy tattoo

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Eimi posted:

Nah it shouldn't be the title theme, it should be the slow shb version of Maker's Ruin turning into the upbeat swelling orchestral one cementing it as our theme.

Maker's Ruin -- Brute Justice version

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I've vaguely considered the possibility of the Azem stone as a limited job, where you summon NPCs you've formed strong bonds with in some way

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Cleretic posted:

Surprising nobody, I'm not, and part of it is exactly that.

I think Ishikawa has a very specific favorite story arc, which I would describe in brief as 'abject monster has a sympathetic backstory, learn about it just before their final stand and feel bad for them during the final battle/death scene'. It's there with Emet, it's there with Elidibus, it's there with Yotsuyu twice, it's there with Fray... she can write other kinds of villains, and even do it really well (Vauthry and Mitron, I think she was responsible for Karasu, she came up with Ysayle's concept but didn't write her in HW), but the 'complete monster with just-pre-finale sympathy play' is both her most popular trick, and her favorite.

Normally that's fine, she's good at it even if I don't like those characters. But she's said that her favorite character going into Endwalker is, specifically, Fandaniel. And that worries me, because Fandaniel's strengths are exactly opposed to that approach: he's good because he's just terrible, he's an unrepentant bastard that we want nothing more from than to beat his rear end and feel pure catharsis for it. Not only does that approach not need the eleventh-hour sympathy play, it would actually suffer from it. And yet I worry that she's marked him as her favorite because she thinks she has a really good idea for how to make us feel bad for THIS one.

EDIT: also surprising nobody, I hate the idea that we'd do the Ascian sigil-reveal thing. No, gently caress that, our sign of strength and value is punching our palm.

what if the sympathy play was fanduel peacing out and leaving Asahi suddenly and pitifully wondering where he is and why he's dying

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

FAUXTON posted:

what if the sympathy play was fanduel peacing out and leaving Asahi suddenly and pitifully wondering where he is and why he's dying

Asahi can't really die enough times afaic. Of all the people for Fandancer to take the face of.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

FAUXTON posted:

*camera cuts to the Warrior of Light who pensively closes their eyes and thinks*

What will you say?

>Lol owned
-Lmao wrecked
-Hahaha eat poo poo idiot

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Chillgamesh posted:

*camera cuts to the Warrior of Light who pensively closes their eyes and thinks*

What will you say?

>Lol owned
-Lmao wrecked

'I liked your sister better than you, and I fuckin murdered your sister'.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Asahi can't really die enough times afaic. Of all the people for Fandancer to take the face of.

Surely intentional

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

cheetah7071 posted:

I've vaguely considered the possibility of the Azem stone as a limited job, where you summon NPCs you've formed strong bonds with in some way

Keep spamming Estinien

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Argas posted:

Keep spamming Estinien

If you only spam estinien he’ll gently caress off after one attack and never come back, the optimal rotation is Estinien, Tataru, Krile, Estinien

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

FAUXTON posted:

I'd be okay with this because it wouldn't work in a different way, we ALSO want to kick Asahi's rear end.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Chillgamesh posted:

What will you say?

>Lol owned
-Lmao wrecked

*Smash fist into palm and then flip double birds with a flourish*

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I appreciated that Zenos had absolutely no idea who the guy was. Brutal.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Bruceski posted:

I appreciated that Zenos had absolutely no idea who the guy was. Brutal.

Oh poo poo yeah. Asahi even had the 'anime moving iris' kinda love for the guy and oof.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I try not to go in on the whole "Bloodlust towards bad characters" schtick, but if ever there were a time that I desperately wished "Go gently caress yourself." was a dialogue option, it was when Yotusuyu's parents were bleeding out in front of you.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

the_steve posted:

I try not to go in on the whole "Bloodlust towards bad characters" schtick, but if ever there were a time that I desperately wished "Go gently caress yourself." was a dialogue option, it was when Yotusuyu's parents were bleeding out in front of you.

Hard agree

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

the_steve posted:

I think there's a marked difference between 'bloodlust for bad characters', and 'bloodlust for characters who are bad people'.

Yotsuyu's parents were bad people, I think it's absolutely fair to wish we had options to spurn them for their actions, even in their most dire moments. Hell, I'm constantly annoyed when they refuse to give those options for outright villains responsible for immense crimes and suffering. That's a world apart from 'I want Lyse to suffer/die because I think she is a bad character (and might be a bit unconsciously sexist)'. Although those two things can unite with villains that rub people the wrong way, like Zenos.

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

I desperately wanted the choice to laugh along at Hancock's joke about Teledji Adeledji

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
On a related track, I'm still a little miffed that one of the rudest dialog options we've ever had, by quite a ways, is "just know I'll kill your god if I have to. Maybe even if I don't."

Like... the WoL will threaten and insult an innocent Ananta's religious beliefs despite knowing full well at that point that primal-summoning groups are a minority among minorities, but won't be rude to a man whose crimes can be measured in Megahitlers, if not Gigahitlers? That feels... VERY wrong, and I really don't like what that implies the WoL is like.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Like someone whose day job is killing gods

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I mean to be fair even a nice primal that doesn't do anything bad still needs to die or else it will drain the aether out of the land. See: Alexander, Ramuh.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Hellioning posted:

I mean to be fair even a nice primal that doesn't do anything bad still needs to die or else it will drain the aether out of the land. See: Alexander, Ramuh.

Yeah, but that line doesn't come when you're talking to an Ananta that's part of the group summoning Lakshmi. Forgive a pretty harsh real-life comparison but it's like making a suicide bombing joke the first time you meet a normal, friendly Muslim.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

the_steve posted:

Not for that scene but I've definitely shared the sentiment.

I didn't notice until now but even the guards are pissed at Daddy Leveilleur

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jul 22, 2021

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

The line about killing your gods is pretty bad but I wouldn't use that sort of analogy and I'm saying that as a normal, friendly (non practicing) Muslim who's had suicide bomber jokes made straight to my face. That's some pretty heavy racism.

It just feels like pointlessly being a dick about things to someone. There's a lot of really weird line choices in Stormblood in general, they were feeling out how much they could get away with in terms of giving WoL character in their lines. ShB is much better about it.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Then don't pick the line. I slam close it myself.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Yeah, no, I didn't pick the line. I'm not saying that the people who did are bad or anything. I just didn't really appreciate the Islamophobia analogy or a lot of the weird StB lines. Here's hoping EW lines are more like ShB.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Mysticblade posted:

The line about killing your gods is pretty bad but I wouldn't use that sort of analogy and I'm saying that as a normal, friendly (non practicing) Muslim who's had suicide bomber jokes made straight to my face. That's some pretty heavy racism.

It just feels like pointlessly being a dick about things to someone. There's a lot of really weird line choices in Stormblood in general, they were feeling out how much they could get away with in terms of giving WoL character in their lines. ShB is much better about it.

Yeah, apologies for that. It's definitely bad, and not just in the 'weirdly rude' sense but instead rather... pointed. Like, that is being rude about very specifically the minority you're talking to. I just struggle to convey it exactly, especially because I don't face that kind of discrimination (as a trans woman I get very different kinds, which also don't line up).

It really doesn't feel right. Especially with, again, the fact that we aren't nearly that rude to Actually Bad People. That one Ananta just got treated real bad for some reason.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

WoL is on the side of the good guys but, frankly, might not be a good guy. There’s no reason to say they are actually a nice person, but for the purposes of the Scions and the Alliance they’re simply very helpful.

This, I think, is a deliberate choice so that the WoL doesn’t have to be pigeonholed into being specifically a nice and sunny person. They might just be a dick who is anti-other dicks. They might be a sneering imperialist, but they’ll help galvanize beast tribes for the purposes of stopping the Empire. You could probably easily project anything you want onto your WoL.

jokes fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jul 22, 2021

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Counterpoint: Give us more opportunities to say things of varying levels of inappropriateness so people can feel one way or another about the things they are or are not making their WoL say. :colbert:

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

while i love the line in isolation it was just really out of place. not necessarily out of character for the wol but it just did not fit the context at all

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah I wanna see the WoL have some weirdo dialog choices. Like A) declare Zenos is an evil terrible person and must atone by dying, B) get angry that Zenos wants to destroy the world even if you don’t give a poo poo about anyone specifically C) agree with Zenos that the world should be destroyed, but insist on fighting him anyways to prove who is stronger. All of them end with you fighting him, but your reasons are way different, and then Alphinaud pushes the “save world” button after the fight no matter what your choice was, or whatever.

Or, of course, more “…” options so you can have whatever headcanon you want

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

me, meeting Zenos as he goes through some stupidly complex plan to lure us into a fight: You could've asked me earlier!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I fully endorse more weirdo or antagonistic dialog options, especially in the MSQ (beast tribes and other significant sidequests/event quests tend to be pretty good about providing them for some reason), because honestly my main complaint about that Stormblood line isn't that it shouldn't be there at all, it's that it sticks out because it's the ONLY time we're that rude. Again, we don't even get that rude to Zenos, Yotsuyu, Emet, or Elidibus (although we do have a few kinda rude options with Elidibus), but we got that rude to a random innocent woman.

jokes posted:

Or, of course, more “…” options so you can have whatever headcanon you want

Also this. I unironically believe that every dialog choice in every game would be improved by adding 'silence' as an option. It works for not dignifying them with a response, not knowing what to say, AND for disagreeing with everything else the devs provided!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

the_steve posted:

On the plus side, Stormblood confirms that time does pass while you're in an Echo trance.

So Yotsuyu's dad saw you, begged you for help, then slowly bled out as you stared at him for five minutes.