Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

exquisite tea posted:

An alt-universe Streets of Calm where you walk through peaceful city vistas reflecting upon society's wise investment in urban revitalization efforts and a robust social safety net.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

they should probably just give me a code is all i'm saying.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Erpy posted:

I think they figured that using actual levels where you walk from one encounter to the next rather than take a nearby portal would slow the pacing down, especially if you have a really long run.

Between the last hit slow-down, smashing any remaining objects, grabbing pickups, choosing perks, going through the portal, and the loading and intro of the next arena I don't think the pacing is all that much faster until the arenas start lasting several waves and raise the average punch-per-minute rate.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Shiva is good and cool and totally a sub-optimal 90s karate nerd trap and I don't care :colbert:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Finally beat level 30 on survival. Roo is hilariously broken, and I was getting 1,000 hit combos toward the end with that combo damage buff power up that resulted in enemies dying before their damage bars had a chance to drain. A+.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Lobok posted:

Between the last hit slow-down, smashing any remaining objects, grabbing pickups, choosing perks, going through the portal, and the loading and intro of the next arena I don't think the pacing is all that much faster until the arenas start lasting several waves and raise the average punch-per-minute rate.

Maybe, but the other way is all that stuff plus walking.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Shiva can straight up delete the robo skeleton if he has multiple pipes at his feet. I thought the game had glitched at first.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Xand_Man posted:

Shiva can straight up delete the robo skeleton if he has multiple pipes at his feet. I thought the game had glitched at first.

My favorite room for him was this one room that was absolutely full of weapons and everyone who came in had weapons so you just press b over and over again launching poo poo all over the place until everything's dead it was pretty funny

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Shiva becoming a Bofors gun and removing anything in his way is the acme of video games

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
WHERE'S THE FUCKEN DLC NINTENDO

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

JBP posted:

Average Switch fan vs Average Steam Deck enjoyer.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Guillermus posted:

Average Switch fan vs Average Steam Deck enjoyer.

I've got $1 game pass but it's the principle.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Haha I understand you. I was :f5:'ing hard on release to get it on PS4. And now they announced another physical release with the DLC included for September and I'm going to dip again to get the box :negative:

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Breetai posted:

Finally beat level 30 on survival. Roo is hilariously broken, and I was getting 1,000 hit combos toward the end with that combo damage buff power up that resulted in enemies dying before their damage bars had a chance to drain. A+.

They truly need to (and I'm sure will) release a modern Roo, Zan, and Skate. But as Roo and Zan are they are both broken, Roo hilariously so. Roo, spin to one side, back that tail up to the other.

MysteriousStranger fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jul 22, 2021

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

JBP posted:

It’s a pretty annoying situation now that a whole week’s passed. I figured it was only gonna be a day or two, but if I’d known it’d be this long I’d have just got the PC version when it was on sale at the weekend.

Oh well! Good thing Mania+ was patched in already and is really fun to play.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

While I think a balance update with maybe some new powerups for Survival Mode is likely, I'm not expecting another character expansion from Dotemu at this point. SOR4 did well but I don't think it was a monster hit or anything. Seems like they're ready to move onto TMNT and other projects.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

They’ve already tweeted they’re done with SOR4 :negative:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Nooooo

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Kiranamos posted:

To work on SoR5 right?

Right?!

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Kiranamos posted:

fungahhhhh

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I don't mind they're done with SoR4. They've made the best Beat 'em up of all time. I really hope they can score an amazing TMNT after this one.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Guillermus posted:

I don't mind they're done with SoR4. They've made the best Beat 'em up of all time. I really hope they can score an amazing TMNT after this one.

I've seen the videos of it and it does look fanfuckingtastic but SOR was always a superior beat-em-up to TMNT on most levels. So even if the knock it out of the park it won't be as good. Still a day one for me though. What we also need though is a new Golden Axe and a new AVP.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

While I think a balance update with maybe some new powerups for Survival Mode is likely, I'm not expecting another character expansion from Dotemu at this point. SOR4 did well but I don't think it was a monster hit or anything. Seems like they're ready to move onto TMNT and other projects.

I read recently it sold like 2.5 mil copies, it's been a pretty absurd success considering the niche genre. But yeah, there's not much more to really keep working on. A DLC add-on was great but they're way behind on Windjammers 2 and probably now have a fuckload of new ideas and games to finish up, I'm insanely happy with the work they did and they'll def get even more projects greenlit after this.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm cool with a game not being endlessly updated and expanded. Take those ideas and that effort and make a cool follow-up!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I think what I like most about the game is how it mixes fighting game gameplay with beat 'em up style. Some of the longer combos in the game absolutely look and feel like they belong in MK11 or whatever

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Play posted:

I think what I like most about the game is how it mixes fighting game gameplay with beat 'em up style. Some of the longer combos in the game absolutely look and feel like they belong in MK11 or whatever

Very true, although I personally found that while in fighting games those longer combos would often translate into victories, those more complex combos usually wouldn't help you out in higher Survival levels or Mania+ since the toughest areas are not you against one skilled opponent, but you against 4 knife-wielding Galsia's and 4 sword-wielding Z's all charging in to cut you up and unless the stars align and you can get literally every one of them caught in your combo starter, those long-rear end combo's just get you shanked in the back by the one dude loitering out of your reach, relieving you of that half-bar of green health you used to keep the combo flowing.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Final Fight was originally going to be a Street Fighter sequel, they clearly still have a lot of overlap, and I absolutely agree with the general principle that a character in a Fighting Game is equivalent to a protagnist in a fighting game. Like, Ryu could dragon punch and hurricane kick his way through half of Metro City on an off night.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

Erpy posted:

Very true, although I personally found that while in fighting games those longer combos would often translate into victories, those more complex combos usually wouldn't help you out in higher Survival levels or Mania+ since the toughest areas are not you against one skilled opponent, but you against 4 knife-wielding Galsia's and 4 sword-wielding Z's all charging in to cut you up and unless the stars align and you can get literally every one of them caught in your combo starter, those long-rear end combo's just get you shanked in the back by the one dude loitering out of your reach, relieving you of that half-bar of green health you used to keep the combo flowing.

Most of the long combos, especially air combos and wall juggles are really just for style in SOR. Not that I don't enjoy those things, but those wall to wall and back Shiva air carries, or Max infinite corner loops, aren't remotely practical and will get you wrecked in game quick. Smaller tighter combos are much better, even better is stuff like Max slide or Roo spin where you can just abuse the hell out of it and everything dies.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The airjuggling does become most relevant against bosses, where the relationship between fighting games gets even more pronounced. Like, I'm no expert at SoR4 but even I found it made a real difference when I made sure to use a "meaty" blitz attack any time I downed a boss.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

Jack B Nimble posted:

Final Fight was originally going to be a Street Fighter sequel, they clearly still have a lot of overlap, and I absolutely agree with the general principle that a character in a Fighting Game is equivalent to a protagnist in a fighting game. Like, Ryu could dragon punch and hurricane kick his way through half of Metro City on an off night.

Guy and Cody are starting characters in Street Fighter since the Alpha series. Haggar is in as well. It's absolutely the same universe and commented on a few times. Mixing up some SF characters in a more technical Fight would be Amazing. Though some of them, like Akuma, either couldn't be assed to fight random mooks or would just straight murder half the city and require an Army deployment to put down.

EDIT- don't even need to put the more "tournament" or "for honor" fighters into it. You could just straight up put Cammy, Chun Li, Guile, Charlie in as some sort of anti-shadoloo beat-em-up and the bosses write themselves.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
The lovely 90s Street Fighter cartoon (of M. Bison "YES! YES!" fame) had a Final Fight crossover episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NyscSDDZ8w

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Shine posted:

The lovely 90s Street Fighter cartoon (of M. Bison "YES! YES!" fame) had a Final Fight crossover episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NyscSDDZ8w

I see they wanted Chun-Li to be like Kenshiro, beating a tank to a pulp.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Akuma would be great for a beat em up...as a boss. Just like Rondo and Abigail.

Yeah, I really, really wish Capcom would commit to a beat em up in the old SF alpha aesthetic.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

gently caress bringing in other video games into an SOR style, give me shameless movie tie-ins. Where's my John Wick beat 'em up

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Jesus gently caress this DLC rules. Playing as Shiva is a godly experience.

I got to the two floyd bosses on this week's challenge and Jesus loving Christ I was destroyed by it.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

flashy_mcflash posted:

gently caress bringing in other video games into an SOR style, give me shameless movie tie-ins. Where's my John Wick beat 'em up

*Points to the hallway scene in Oldboy*

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Decided to try Max in survival for the first time and made it to lvl 26. Personal best was 21. So yeah, Max is really good and my new best friend.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

Hector Delgado posted:

Decided to try Max in survival for the first time and made it to lvl 26. Personal best was 21. So yeah, Max is really good and my new best friend.

try roo!

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

Jack B Nimble posted:

Akuma would be great for a beat em up...as a boss. Just like Rondo and Abigail.

Yeah, I really, really wish Capcom would commit to a beat em up in the old SF alpha aesthetic.

I dunno, I guess to goon out an SF beat-em-up is either the final fight crew doing metro again, or it's the agents crew vs shadaloo. All the other factors in this (even mains like Ryu and Ken) are just sort of brawling for the sake brawling and starting poo poo or just hangers on. Akuma at one point is famously a hobo selling apples from a cart who refuses to fight people because they aren't worth it and really only has an interest in utterly amazing top level people and flat out refuses to engage.

He'd make a great hidden boss with SNK syndrome though. A lot of the cast, good and bad, would make fun hidden bosses or just sort of a stupid god mode where they just throw mooks at you. Akuma could probably taken on all of metro city or shadaloo hungover as hell. There's a lot of characters that are just obliterators.

Reminds me, I still need to play that board game I threw 400 bucks at

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Guillermus posted:

I see they wanted Chun-Li to be like Kenshiro, beating a tank to a pulp.

Well...she pretty much is. There's a reason they gave her Sichisei Senkuu Kyaku

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sJjtkBvU7A&ab_channel=NelsonJos%C3%A9