Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

buttcoin: I felt like I had done my due diligence at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

text editor posted:

read a few times and I still don't understand why the art seller has to have money to pay the buyers?

phil maloof, he seemed like a reasonable guy. not sure why his partner, dick bardaglian, wanted to see my accounts well before he was owed any commission. but he had a nice suit and watch, the marks of a trustworthy fellow that you can leave your logged-in laptop alone with while you take a leak

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/jacobriglin/status/1417797293173002243

you say it'll never happen to you because you don't have any stupid coins and you don't fly to places to conduct shady made up art deals, but you'll see!!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

twitter thinks i'd also be interested in this tweet after seeing that one:

https://twitter.com/Crypto888crypto/status/1417982767015464962

never interact with any fungible people, they will whisper sweet lies to try to funge you

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/DanielStagner/status/1417983228984446978

oh so you're an idiot, okay

https://twitter.com/c4nopener/status/1417984102557380610

i tried to explain it to people who know things about computers but they just kept saying "it can't possibly be that stupid, you must be explaining it wrong", guess they're all just big dumb dumbs!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I like that he said a “potential” $25k

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
lol "potential $25k"

i guess it sounds better than "I flipped $800 in NFTs to $0"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

if you add up all the times the price went up, it totals $25k. please ignore the times the price went down $30k

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/BustaRhymes/status/1418210681812242442?s=20

sold bitcoin? SELL SELL SELL

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Nice dude I'm also stupid

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
i showed the magician my wallet, and it was gone!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

"it's more secure than real money"

*gets fleeced for 90k at a restaurant*

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Shame Boy posted:

https://twitter.com/jacobriglin/status/1417797293173002243

you say it'll never happen to you because you don't have any stupid coins and you don't fly to places to conduct shady made up art deals, but you'll see!!
proving I have sufficient Currency Of The Internet by showing my screen to a bunch of people in the same room as me

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
So, anyway, I've learned my lesson, and from now on will only deal with Bitcoin Cash, which, I'm being told, is at least twice as secure and scam-resistant.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

HappyHippo posted:

i guess it sounds better than "I flipped $800 in NFTs to $0"

yeah yeah Flipmode is the Greatest

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Paladinus posted:

So, anyway, I've learned my lesson, and from now on will only deal with Bitcoin Cash, which, I'm being told, is at least twice as secure and scam-resistant.

I think you meant to say Bcash there.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
why would you need to have money to pay the commission before the sale went through:confused:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Boxturret posted:

why would you need to have money to pay the commission before the sale went through:confused:

he didn't have to actually pre-pay the commission, he just had to prove he had some money. y'know, to show that you understand the concept. as you do.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

if only there were some sort of public ledger so he could have shown them that the account had money in it without unlocking it in front of them

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Boxturret posted:

the only thing that makes sense to me was that they'd structured their agreement as a hustle to begin with, i.e. "you owe us the commission by [date] whether or not the piece gets sold" but pitched it as "we're nice guys, so of course we'll wait until after the sale to get our commission" in a non-binding verbal way

then the mark offered them a shortcut on the scam

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

i just don't get how they stole the coins... did they hack the wifi? did they do some sort of magic?

or was it that i left my laptop open and unlocked right in front of them when i went to the bathroom, nah

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

imagine if the whole deal was actually 100% legit, but he just gave them a golden opportunity and they took it

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

lmao https://vault.cnn.com/

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

In other unsurprising news

https://news.artnet.com/opinion/beeple-everydays-review-1951656 :nws:

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

It looks like each of those "moments" has 1000 NFTs minted for it. Somebody managed to hustle a lot of minting money out of CNN. (At least they are using Blocto, so they aren't having to put money into the ETH ecosystem.)

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

so they were a deviant art person who then made weird photoshops

well know I know what a beeple is i guess

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

before that they made cyberpunkish/techno album art renders then when loving crazy with some of these later ones. idk if that was the real shining through or what but they're verging on homage to ddees territory

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
NFTs are still in that greyzone in my brain of "I understand it i think" and " i cant actually be understanding it because what i understand is so loving dumb it shouldnt exist"

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

the plot twist here is that it was not a "we pretend to pay you then you pay us a percentage back" scam, but simple wallet emptying

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

ZeusCannon posted:

NFTs are still in that greyzone in my brain of "I understand it i think" and " i cant actually be understanding it because what i understand is so loving dumb it shouldnt exist"

you definitely understand it.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

look when you've Done Your Due Diligence, sometimes you just gotta leave your unlocked scamcoin wallet on your logged-in laptop with two complete strangers to take a toilet break For Literally A Minute™

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

nobody could have predicted the no-chargebacks scamcoins would ever be used to chargebacklessly scam ME

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Grace Baiting posted:

look when you've Done Your Due Diligence, sometimes you just gotta leave your unlocked scamcoin wallet on your logged-in laptop with two complete strangers to take a toilet break For Literally A Minute™

round here we call that the ross ulbricht

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
motherfucker manages to get scammed out of all his bitcoins before they can even start the real scam. bitcoin implementation errors: motherfuckin scam race conditions

like the story starts at $90k nft advance fee scam which is already like two of the dumbest things imaginable and somehow manages to get dumber from there

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

please search your local craigslist for chia setups and post here tia

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

FAUXTON posted:

round here we call that the ross ulbricht

really this was much more of a naive fross than a regular fross -- original flavor included multiple fbi agents stage a distraction + execute the laptop snag

this enthusiast just unlocked and left his laptop/wallet fully exposed for "literally a minute" with two hero members

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Grace Baiting posted:

really this was much more of a naive fross than a regular fross -- original flavor included multiple fbi agents stage a distraction + execute the laptop snag

this enthusiast just unlocked and left his laptop/wallet fully exposed for "literally a minute" with two hero members

yeah but the dumbass got owned by a basic security failure like "not securing your computer when you leave it unattended"

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Paypal just gave me $25 to buy $25 of crypto so uh... I guess I own some butts now.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

resident posted:

Paypal just gave me $25 to buy $25 of crypto so uh... I guess I own some butts now.

sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

resident posted:

can…you sell them?

lol, l nvm i know the answer in my heart