Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Beached Whale posted:

I've never understood what butters are aiming for with "banking the unbanked". If I'm a subsistence farmer in a 2nd/3rd world country, being able to access a bank account isn't going to do poo poo for me because I'm already dirt poor and don't have any money to keep in a bank account anyways.

The amount of SV-level growth in crypto adoption that crypto true believers think is coming pretty much requires broad adoption outside of first world countries. And what else is a subsistence farmer going to use crypto for at the moment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

waydownLo posted:

Because usury is sinful.

Gonna climb out on a limb and suggest that the con artists behind Tether and Circle are probably not devout Muslims. Even if you grant the premise that charging interest is fundamentally immoral, that doesn't necessarily make zero-interest loans a good idea. What economic motivation is there for someone to buy what's effectively a zero-interest debt security from a wildcat bank (but don't call it a security, do not put it in the newspapers that it's a security, we absolutely did not say it's a security)?

In Tether news, their CTO and general counsel made a rare public appearance by appearing on CNBC, and boy they really don't seem interested in getting into details about all that commercial paper they say they have
https://twitter.com/vhranger/status/1417888830607314944

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'd been curious how Islamic financing would approach crypto, and haven't been able to muster the effort to explore it. The workarounds to not charging interest were interesting, as I recall. Been a while, though, and I'm not feeling a store of :effort: to invest in enlightening myself further right now.

With my admittedly (very) limited grasp on various approaches to Islamic theology, I think I could argue Bitocin was acceptable, but could also argue it was unacceptable, because it's not like a clear and defined (or rational) thing anyway.

My uncle worked in Islamic banking in the middle east for decades, specifically in the field of leasing heavy construction equipment like crawler cranes and helicopters and stuff and holy moly I was always confused listening to how it worked

Edit: I'm going to tell him to invest his retirement wealth exclusively in Bitcoin

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

waydownLo posted:

The funny thing is that it appears the Islamic world solved the problems crypto tried to address centuries ago. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawala

They're even called hawaladars. Sounds kinda like hodlers, if hodlers weren't complete morons.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

quote:

(Reuters) - Electric-car maker Tesla Inc ( TSLA ) will most likely restart accepting bitcoin as payments, Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk said at a conference on Wednesday.

Musk's comments come after Tesla said in May it would stop accepting bitcoin for car purchases.

"Tesla would resume accepting bitcoin, it is most likely" Musk said.

(Reporting by Noor Zainab Hussain and Nivedita Balu in Bengaluru; Editing by Shounak Dasgupta)

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

take a shot! it's elon musk's favorite phrase "most likely"

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

"would" not "will"

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/21/elon-musk-jack-dorsey-speak-about-cryptocurrency-at-b-word-conference.html

The price of ethereum rose Wednesday afternoon after Tesla and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk said he owns the cryptocurrency at The B Word conference, an event hosted by the Crypto Council for Innovation.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The B Word.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

The Crypto Council for Innovation

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Paladinus posted:

The B Word.

butthole?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

buttcoin.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"
Guys, hear me out here. What if...number go up?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Hobologist posted:

Guys, hear me out here. What if...number go up?

Sounds unlikely

drk
Jan 16, 2005
elon the only rocket-billionaire who hasn't been to space now?

more like the Bag pumping conference

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Is it a good sign if you're arguing on Twitter with the state of Alabama over whether or not your thing that walks like a duck and quacks like a duck is a "duck"

https://twitter.com/BlockFi/status/1417968862134300672

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

They can only argue it on Twitter because if they tried that in a court they'd get smacked.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Strong Sauce posted:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/21/elon-musk-jack-dorsey-speak-about-cryptocurrency-at-b-word-conference.html

The price of ethereum rose Wednesday afternoon after Tesla and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk said he owns the cryptocurrency at The B Word conference, an event hosted by the Crypto Council for Innovation.
I hope something nails Elon right in the nads if that means I can't buy a semi-affordable GPU this year.

Also, continuing to prop up a profoundly wasteful use of electricity isn't cool too.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Blotto_Otter posted:

Is it a good sign if you're arguing on Twitter with the state of Alabama over whether or not your thing that walks like a duck and quacks like a duck is a "duck"

Imagine arguing with the state of alabama about anything and being wrong

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

shame on an IGA posted:

Literally what I was thinking

The overlapping venn diagram of my opinions with the state of Alabama’s opinions is goddamn small but damned if this isn’t in there along with fried chicken

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

well hey now they have the option of getting into a twitter argument with the state of Texas, instead
https://twitter.com/CoinDesk/status/1418277421472751620
anyone want to set the over/under on how long til the federals feel like they need to take over the show?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
are the AGs of TX and AL a cowboy and southern lawyer in a white cotton suit?

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Trump-loving Republicans snatch up 'magacoins' -- and quickly fall victim to data breach
https://www.rawstory.com/magacoins/

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Moronicism and Grift, Always

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

PhazonLink posted:

are the AGs of TX and AL a cowboy and southern lawyer in a white cotton suit?

no but they both seem somewhat unconventional, usually every prosecutor in the south regardless of party wears the same tie in all photographs and I can't find either of them with it.

TN AG:

NC AG debate:

SC AG:

WTF TX?

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 22, 2021

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

shame on an IGA posted:

no but they both seem somewhat unconventional, usually every prosecutor in the south regardless of party wears the same tie in all photographs and I can't find either of them with it.

TN AG:

NC AG debate:

SC AG:

Goon tie blindness is a new but perhaps not unsurprising development

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

https://decrypt.co/76576/el-salvador-bitcoin-law-citizens-protesting

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Funny story, the TX AG has himself been under indictment for securities fraud for five years and counting, but has somehow managed to stall it going to trial. (He's also under federal investigation for taking bribes last fall to investigate someone's business rivals, but that doesn't dovetail as nicely with all these cryptocrimes going on.)

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
Sweet Trinidad and Tobago flag tie.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

See, allowing people to use buttcoin as legal tender is one thing, but *making* people accept it? That sure sounds like a way to offload your garbage magic beans onto suckers in return for cold hard cash. gently caress crypto forever.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
yeah the el salvador buttcoin thing is a transparent cash grab by their rear end in a top hat leader, its incredibly gross

literally took millions in united states dollars doing it

like i said before this whole situation was a lot funnier back before it started ruining a bunch of people's lives

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

:lmao:

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

Parkingtigers posted:

See, allowing people to use buttcoin as legal tender is one thing, but *making* people accept it?

Well, that is what "legal tender" means. I wonder if you could get around it by setting the bounty for your transaction going through to zero, knowing that it will never be included on the 'chain.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
is everyone in texas an rear end in a top hat

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
jesus imagine how badly you have to gently caress up to cause red states to act on white collar finance crimes

waydownLo
Oct 1, 2016

text editor posted:

jesus imagine how badly you have to gently caress up to cause red states to act on white collar finance crimes

Yeah this is truly amazing poo poo i never thought i'd live to see. thank god for buttcoin

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Blotto_Otter posted:

What kind of absolute psychopath uses a denominator of 1 for a Tweetspam pagination?

They understand that they're supposed to do it, but do they not understand what it's supposed to achieve? It's hard not to read as a metaphor.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

ikanreed posted:

What kind of absolute psychopath uses a denominator of 1 for a Tweetspam pagination?

They understand that they're supposed to do it, but do they not understand what it's supposed to achieve? It's hard not to read as a metaphor.

Imperial pagination versus metric

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
El Salvador would literally be better off trading legal chicken tenders , in openair, un refrigerated containers than any coin.

at least months down the line they'll still be trading physical matter / chicken based slime mold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

ikanreed posted:

It's an NFT tweet.