Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The Owl Creek stuff reminded me of how much cultural cachet the movie Jacob's Ladder had in the early 2000's. I'm telling you that's how you could set yourself apart or show that you were a discerning film person, just talk about Jacob's Ladder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Jacob's Ladder is streaming on HBO in all its incarnations and it's totally fine.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Make sure it's the original and not the remake

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

regulargonzalez posted:

Make sure it's the original and not the remake

It's the right one.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Sirotan posted:

About 5min ago I contemplated making a post saying that now that I'm into season 2 of
Highlander, the show has improved a lot and it's taking itself more seriously, but the very next episode has the main character sensing the present of another immortal inside a box containing a sarcophagus with a mummy inside. He unwraps the mummy who happens to be alive, immortal, speak English, and claim to be Nefertiti.

:lol:

Ain't gonna be the last time this happens.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
That reminds me of the Stargate series. Why do all of these civilizations who have been cut off from Earth for millenia speak English?

I know that actually dealing with the translation issues would get in the way of the story, but at least give us a macguffingoober.

MajorBonnet fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jul 21, 2021

mystes
May 31, 2006

That's not what a macguffin is.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

mystes posted:

That's not what a macguffin is.

I know what a macguffin is, do you have a better word?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Sirotan posted:

About 5min ago I contemplated making a post saying that now that I'm into season 2 of
Highlander, the show has improved a lot and it's taking itself more seriously, but the very next episode has the main character sensing the present of another immortal inside a box containing a sarcophagus with a mummy inside. He unwraps the mummy who happens to be alive, immortal, speak English, and claim to be Nefertiti.

:lol:

I wonder if Raven is streaming anywhere. The spinoff specifically cast to get an actress out of the US so she couldn't be subpeonad to testify at the Starr investigation.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

MajorBonnet posted:

an explanation

on account of a macguffin is almost the opposite of something that needs to be explained

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

MajorBonnet posted:

A goober

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Perfect.

MajorBonnet fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jul 21, 2021

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

I honestly don't think the IP/pop culture references are that big a part of the film. They're there and they're clumsy but its also basically just a 5 minute montage and then random crowd shots behind people. Its all very clumsy but its also pretty minor and not the big deal I think people are worked up about.

But they messed up the Looney Tunes/basketball balance for sure. The first one's a Looney Tunes movie that MJ gets sucked into, and this one's a Lebron movie that the Looney Tunes get sucked into. And that Lebron movie is loving bizarre about the HBO Max becoming sentient and wanting take over the world but really hyper focusing on Lebron James for some reason.

They also missed the part of the first one where they threw in a couple of established comics to help things along.

Also if you're gonna redo Space Jam make an effort with the soundtrack. That's its real legacy.

Had to stop watching the movie 20 mins in. I've never seen a movie so enthusiastically go down on its real life star. If I was Lebron I would honestly be embarrassed

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I wonder if Raven is streaming anywhere. The spinoff specifically cast to get an actress out of the US so she couldn't be subpeonad to testify at the Starr investigation.

lmao what

Also as it turns out I misheard, her name was Nefertiri not Nefertiti but the whole ep was still embarrassingly silly including a montage of her being perplexed by things such as cars, electric lamps, and clocks. Catherine Zeta-Jones was almost cast in this role!!

Kinda hope at some point in the show they further explain some more of the mechanics of what being immortal does for you. Like ok they heal pretty quick and come back to life in like 10 seconds or maybe a few minutes depending on what the story requires, so does that mean mummy lady was locked in a box fully awake the whole time? How is she not completely insane? Plus being mummified means you've had a bunch of your organs yanked out your nose, can you regenerate these? If you can then how come the dude Duncan chopped an arm off shows up later with a prosthetic? I watched this show a couple decades back and have apparently forgotten 95% of it so I have no clue if they ever bother to explain any of this.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Oh, they explained nothing. Like the Highlander "mythos" is full of plotholes, greatest of all which is "there can only be one". Except for this guy. And that guy. And them over there.

Finished 2nd season of I Think You Should Leave and it's definitely b-roll and weaker than season 1 but I warmed to it.

The Green Frontier / Frontera Verde is a curious thing, like a murder mystery in an exotic locale (deep in the Amazon) that slowly but surely tips into wtf territory. Many won't be happy with the turn it takes, I'm not sure I am, but it's executed well and has lots of visual treats and just trying to figure out what's happening is entertaining.

Guns Akimbo has reached Prime, with Daniel Radcliffe enjoying not being Harry Potter as he plays a schmuck thrown into a lethal game show. It's ... fine? There's lots of artfully shot gunfights and low comedy and it works but it's hardly unmissable.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The Owl Creek stuff reminded me of how much cultural cachet the movie Jacob's Ladder had in the early 2000's. I'm telling you that's how you could set yourself apart or show that you were a discerning film person, just talk about Jacob's Ladder.

I was in the Marines from 91 to 95 and during boot camp at Parris Island, they took us to the on base theater one time for a movie. You know what movie it was? Jacob’s Ladder. What a hosed up thing to show recruits.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

nonathlon posted:

Oh, they explained nothing. Like the Highlander "mythos" is full of plotholes, greatest of all which is "there can only be one". Except for this guy. And that guy. And them over there.

I'm fine with the plotb holes. Let's not forget when they tried to explain the origins of immortals we found out they were from another planet in the future.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

It’s been a long time since I watched the Highlander show but I remember there being a bad guy at one point whose MO was shooting other immortals with a gun and then chopping their heads off while they were regenerating and even teenager me was like “hm, that seems pretty much unstoppable”.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Class Warcraft posted:

It’s been a long time since I watched the Highlander show but I remember there being a bad guy at one point whose MO was shooting other immortals with a gun and then chopping their heads off while they were regenerating and even teenager me was like “hm, that seems pretty much unstoppable”.

The lead singer of Fine Young Cannibals hired mercenaries to do his dirty work for a few episodes!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Sirotan posted:

lmao what

Elizabeth Gracen had an affair with Clinton when he was governor of Arkansas and she was the reigning Miss Arkansas. Kenn Starr issued a subpoena for her testimony but just before it was served she was on a plane to Europe to film her spin off series. After filming the production company paid for her to stay in a Barbados resort to 'recuperate from filming' for a few months until the investigation had concluded.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

^^^^ incredible

Medullah posted:

I'm fine with the plotb holes. Let's not forget when they tried to explain the origins of immortals we found out they were from another planet in the future.

i demand tactical realism for my fantasy tv show about immortals fighting with swords !!

Medullah posted:

The lead singer of Fine Young Cannibals hired mercenaries to do his dirty work for a few episodes!

Weirdly high number of musicians playing the Bad Immortal of the Week on this show. Joan Jett, Sheena Easton, Roger Daltrey, Roland Gift, and that's all I've seen so far in my rewatch.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Sirotan posted:

^^^^ incredible

i demand tactical realism for my fantasy tv show about immortals fighting with swords !!

Weirdly high number of musicians playing the Bad Immortal of the Week on this show. Joan Jett, Sheena Easton, Roger Daltrey, Roland Gift, and that's all I've seen so far in my rewatch.

Joe Dawson was played by Jim Byrnes, who was a semi famous musician in his own right.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Prophet of Nixon posted:

I saw Broken Arrow for the first time a few months ago. It's a much better movie than Face/Off, though not as good as Con Air (also recently watched for the first time).

All of this.

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing
I dont know, Broken Arrow has a lot more Christian Slater and a lot less Nick Cage in it, that counts against it IMO.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I saw Jett appear on HBO Max and I'm enjoying it. I think it's entirely possible your enjoyment is highly dependent on how much you like Carla Gugino. So I love it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Why did I assume Peacock would have all the Olympics stuff just because it is owned by NBC?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

smackfu posted:

Why did I assume Peacock would have all the Olympics stuff just because it is owned by NBC?

I think they do but it's not live (replays only) and it's behind the paywall. loving stupid.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I just blasted through Search Party Season 4 and I’m still tickled by the contrast of the dark plot and hilarious names of people and places. Man what a loving mess, great show.

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
Just got done watching Snake Eyes (1998) and now I’m in the mood for more over the top 90s thrillers that are maybe less know.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

thatfuturekid posted:

Just got done watching Snake Eyes (1998) and now I’m in the mood for more over the top 90s thrillers that are maybe less know.

Dick Tracy
The Saint
Conspiracy Theory is kind of boring but it's neat watching it from the future
Demolition Man
Die Hard With A Vengeance is the rare good third movie

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jul 23, 2021

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Coming late to the party but man, Britannia is a banger of a first season.

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020

thatfuturekid posted:

Watched this recently
Really wonderful send-up of classic film noir & great scenery chewing from Nicolas Cage. I havent seen 8MM but that's next on my list
I'm going to watch the 90s Dracula now and have some key lime wine

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

thatfuturekid posted:

Blown Away has Tommy Lee Jones and Jeff Daniels and it rules.

Or Live Wire where Pierce Brosnan fights a clown that is about to explode.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Evilspeak (1981) is on Shudder and it is incredible.

Near Dark is also very good and on Shudder, but it doesn’t have Clint Howard worshipping Esteban Satan on an Apple II.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

FYI Disney+ has a new series about the history of Disney rides which looks neat. Haven’t seen it mentioned anywhere but the launch series about imagineering was pretty good so am going to check this one out. They tend to have pretty good interviews since they own the place.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

smackfu posted:

FYI Disney+ has a new series about the history of Disney rides which looks neat. Haven’t seen it mentioned anywhere but the launch series about imagineering was pretty good so am going to check this one out. They tend to have pretty good interviews since they own the place.

Is there an interview with Satan after he designed the It's a Small World ride

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

smackfu posted:

Crossposting from our theme park thread but the team that did this did The Toys That Made Us and it's that same terrible quirky editing style of cutting sentences together with previous dialogue bits and random sound effects, and it sucks so much considering who they're interviewing. I wanted another Imagineering Story but this ain't it. It's still interesting but I cannot stand the editing.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

That’s extremely disappointing.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I can't imagine watching that trailer and expecting anything else, it looked dreadful. Stick to Defunctland and its ilk. Their documentary on Halyx is far more interesting than any sanitized marketing-focused thing that Disney would ever put together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

thatfuturekid posted:

Kiss of Death is another great Nic Cage thriller from a few years earlier.