Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
For just being an arm the Not-Alien has a lot of personality though, after it hands Goldlewis the chain gun it sticks around to point for example.

Also there's a normal where he holds it over his head and it reaches down from the coffin. For being tall to begin with he has a ton of really tall moves, Goldlewis looks like he's gonna be hard to get over. What everyone assumes is his 6p goes way above his head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

gently caress yeah he’s a hammer expert where you swing his actual hammer with the joystick. Incredibly cool

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I always liked GG character designs but IMO Strive is on another level. So good and so much personality

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

As a non ino player up against ino, i feel like her mix up game is not as frighting as other rushdown characters and much more react-able when blocking

Like stbt is so much slower than hair car or stun dipper and her overheads are usually easier to see cause she dashes first to get airborn

But i probably havent seen a great ino yet

Resurrecting this post from the last 2 pages, but you're entirely right which is unfortunate as that's all she's got in Strive

Tier lists and all that but there's a reason that pretty much everyone has her consistently in the lowest tier, or the end of the second lowest tier. She's unfortunately just.. not great in this version at the moment compared to the other rushdown/mixup heavy characters. Though with a couple tweaks I think she could be fine!

I'd really rather they give her damage off of a landed mixup tbh then make her way faster at it. Make her still the execution character, where good execution on tricky combos gets you more towards Sol's damage instead of the kinda sad chip damage that you get mostly outside of the corner. Honestly even with an RC she still struggles to break 180 whereas the better characters just get that off their normal combos

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Hi all! I just got this recently and am a bit of a fighting game scrub. I've looked a bit at the different play styles and think zoning sounds interesting. Is Axl a bad idea for a newbie?

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Take the character into training mode and see if you like the feel of their moveset. If you do, gently caress it play them. The worst thing you can do is pick a character who is considered ideal for beginners that you don't enjoy playing. Even if a character is tough to learn -and I don't know that Axl is - if you enjoy playing them you're far more likely to put in the time and effort to actually learn both how to play them and how to play fighting games in general. That's the advice I'd give you even if you were eying Zato, who is I think probably the hardest character in Strive to learn and play.

Plus if you do like zoning you're not really going to learn how to do it right unless you play a zoning character. edit: If you're worried about just getting bodied because of your character in ranked, don't. Part of learning is going to involve losing but you will be matched primarily with people around your skill level. Just starting out, what is going to really make an impact is going to be learning the fundamentals - spacing, blocking, making reads, learning how to learn matchups, and so on. Knowing the ins and outs of a character always helps but just getting a good grasp on the fundamentals will take you a long way. I don't think any character in this game (barring maybe Zato) has such a high skill floor that you can't pick them up as a beginner and learn the fundamentals with them.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 23, 2021

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
The best character is whatever character you think looks and feels cool. If you're not having fun, why do it? I don't think there are any characters that are so weak you can't get plenty of wins with them if you work at learning them.

TGLT posted:

Plus if you do like zoning you're not really going to learn how to do it right unless you play a zoning character.

For example, don't do what an Axl I played earlier today did and react to literally everything with standing dust. Even a far slash to the face. Dust all the time. Nothing but dust.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
well the wiki's called dustloop so OBVIOUSLY

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Are EU servers especially dogshit for anyone else today, by the way? Can't even get into the lobby at all now.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Are EU servers especially dogshit for anyone else today, by the way? Can't even get into the lobby at all now.

Had a 3 hour long session in one of the parks earlier today without any issues.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

mycot posted:

It's a little weird but it's almost a Guilty Gear feature at this point. I-No's signature power in the plot is time travel and you would never know. Haehyun didn't have any attacks that scream "I'm a robot" despite her completely insane character concept, etc.

Any character can have time travel, it's just called 7 frames of rollback :frogc00l:.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Real hurthling! posted:

drat he can jump
hosed up

He might have an above average jump startup to make it easier.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Thanks for all the advice! I'll just mess around with the different characters and see which ones click.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
ino isnt her xrd self but her mix isnt nearly as bad some people make it out to be

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

A couple people have mentioned Sajam videos recently and he put out an hour long tournament I-no breakdown where he was watching Daru play through. The Daru video is probably half that length but Sajam pauses and skips back five or ten sevonds a lot in order to really break down every little exchange. It's a real good watch, he highlights every little delay, combo, why Daru went whichever way in a 50/50 mix, pauses at the beginning of matches to talk about match ups, and you get a lot of different I-no match ups to learn from.

y'know what, here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZion_Q1vL8

e: vvv I frequently see people say her 'iad' jS is unreactable but I really haven't had that experience. I find it much better to use in the middle of air combos. And it really depends on the situation, on what I'm trying to counter or how I'm approaching, on whether or not to use jS or jH, jH feels a lot more safe and catches a much larger area but raw jS will occasionally mess up a Chipp, Millia, or Zato.

FunkyFjord fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 23, 2021

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Hace posted:

ino isnt her xrd self but her mix isnt nearly as bad some people make it out to be

Yeah her mix is honestly still pretty dang great. Really the only part that changed about that is that there's a lot of incidental normals that stuff her dash cleanly as opposed to needing to anti air or something imo

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I wish she had vertical chemical love just because it was cool.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Ino is mostly fine and giving her high damage would be a mistake. Just give her VCL for plus frames and better corner conversions and improve the hitbox of HCL

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Tirranek posted:

Hi all! I just got this recently and am a bit of a fighting game scrub. I've looked a bit at the different play styles and think zoning sounds interesting. Is Axl a bad idea for a newbie?

I'm a total chump Axl main who's currently bouncing around floor 8 or so. Not only is Axl a good idea for a newbie, but depending on your struggles with fighting games he might be among the best ideas.

Something great about Axl is that combo knowledge and execution is far less important than using individual tools to control the space. So while you'll definitely want to get good at some combos eventually (and he's got some real weird ones to block), you're initially going to do far better learning spacing, movements, and the general behaviors of opponents.

Essentially, playing Axl asks you to learn the conceptual basics of the game more than it asks for optimal combo inputs.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
I wonder if they could have mapped the 8 different chain swings to 236, 214, 412, or 632 + S or H, or 236, 214, 412, 632, 41236, 63214, clockwise 360 or counterclockwise 360 + H. Hopefully the input interpreter is generous and gives people the right swing most of the time.

Thematically it's cool that you swing the stick like he swings the coffin. The classic ryu/ken fireball and DP animations kind of match the motion like that too.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh god I somehow ended up in Floor 8.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I can get to floor 8 fairly regularly, but staying there is proving hard. I can't place what exactly is different, but there does seem to be a difference between dungeon and lava dwellers.

Also if you get a good streak going it'll shoot you up floors quick, but you'll also get demoted quickly.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Servers were jerkin me around so I played arcade mode and got to Stage 8 of the extreme route

That poo poo is hosed up

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

There's so much poo poo I watch now that makes me groan because I know I should be doing it but it's a lot of effort. I finally got into the habit of OSing RC after Pot Buster so that it catches backdashes/lets you get advantage on jumps, and now it's like... kara everything. Kara Garuda to stay closer when doing multiple Garudas in pressure, always Kara Hammerfall since it just moves faster, always start holding back when going for 6H to follow up on a counterhit, etc. And that's not even getting to learning all the situational wallbreak combos that I know are possible from almost anywhere if you know the right combo.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

oh i tried making a training mode player lobby yesterday to see what you could do in it. turns out not much. it's fully a regular game, just with input display and infinite rounds. no infinite meter, or starting meter, or refilling health, etc.

you can actually bring up a menu with Start (good!!) but there are no training options there, just regular options and return to lobby. you can access the command list which is nice.

(I think this should be a feature in normal lobbies too, it doesn't pause the game or anything and sometimes you want to end and return to lobby without having to ko someone twice. especially with no IKs.)

edit: in other news, i bugged the gg-struggle author on twitter so they added to the FAQ to break down the ssl/security stuff: https://github.com/tsaibermelon/gg-struggle

i'm credulous enough to try and give it a shot now.

big deal fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 23, 2021

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I keep getting destroyed by I-No's blockstrings. Same for Anji. I have absolutely no idea how to block them cause they've got hells of mixups and I keep getting caught blocking high when I should have blocked low. I could have sworn FD covered both high and low but I fuckin guess not!!!!!

In fact, dying as soon as I get pushed into the corner is typical for me. Either I turtle and get overwhelmed, or mash and get punished. Any suggestions on getting better at corner defense, that doesn't involve labbing out every single character's corner blockstring? Cause :effort:

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Anji's generic pressure is very very fake unless you're against a real high level player. He has massive gaps in every followup with Fujin except for sweep which ends his pressure unless he spends meter and Butterfly isn't possible to set up outside of certain situations, and even then it's only ok.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I-No's entire character is based around a strong high-low mixup game so against her you just gotta commit to an option. If you're fighting one that has a tendency to do double overheads (because they can't hit confirm off of one) you can mash 5P with most of the cast to poke her out of it.

The basic thing against Anji is to block low. After Fuujin (the thing where he dashes forward with the fan) he has 4 followups. Low sweep (fast, unreactable), overhead bop (slower, sort of reactable), hop (nothing, but a throw is probably coming), and projectile (slightly + for Anji). Generally, if you hold down back and if nothing hit you then switch to something else (usually back or jump). This is sometimes known as a fuzzy guard. You're not actually reacting to the overhead option from Anji, you're reacting to the fact that nothing hit you in the timing where the fast low would normally come out. This can be beaten if the Anji player delays the sweep, but that's more advanced.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Anji is totally fake if anything he's doing is loving you up try grabbing him.

Too twirly? Grab dat boy
Wake up reversal? Grab em
Doing fujin > overhead from close range? That overhead aint happening cause anji is grabbed now

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Also if anji has no meter you can just block high all the time cause he aint getting poo poo off of fujin > low without rc, besides a chance to put the butterfly on you i guess

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm just gonna try fighting an Anji and an I-No on CPU 100 so I can get used to their strings. I think it's mostly unfamiliarity and there being too many characters for me to get used to any one of them, or even remember their poo poo.

Edit: these CPUs somehow suck.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 24, 2021

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Pollyanna posted:

I could have sworn FD covered both high and low but I fuckin guess not!!!!!

that would be hosed up.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

I'm at a point in Celestial right now where I either destroy whoever I'm fighting or am destroyed by whoever I'm fighting.

On the plus side, I got to fight a real good Ram again after who knows how long. I only took 2 matches out of 9, but it was fun. They really knew how to mixup her corner pressure so I couldn't just dolphin my way out.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Anyone intereted in getting a PC room going?

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
i'll be playing for a bit

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
If it's still up in like an hour I'll join.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
I'm playing Accent Core +R with friends right now but if people are around and playing later I might show up.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

The faultless defense blocking high and low thing seems to be a very common point of confusion because I was running sets with someone who thought the same thing while I was critiquing his play.

Anyway for I-no advice yeah if she's doing repeated air attacks or you block the air drill move that causes her to kind of bounce back you can generally just 5P her out of the air. Also stick your leg out across the ground (gio's sweep is really good) if they're really eager to stroke the big tree at you (the sliding low into uppercut move).

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

As an I-no player, Gio's sweep is really good. Also you can grab us out of Stroke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

FunkyFjord posted:

As an I-no player, Gio's sweep is really good. Also you can grab us out of Stroke.

Yeah it's pretty good.