Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

isaboo posted:

What do y'all think about Tell Me Your Secrets? Looks cool so far but dies the story get really convoluted?

Oh man, don't even. The acting is fire (Linklater and Rabe are married IRL, so they really REALLY go for it) and it seems like a smart, dramatic show early on, but it's just hilariously bugnuts bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Escobarbarian posted:

I watched the first two episodes of Ultra City Smiths, the new stop-motion series from Steven Conrad, the creator of Patriot, that I’ve posted the trailer etc for in here before.

It’s really loving good. And also, if you thought Conrad’s work was idiosyncratic and bizarre already…….jesus

Baseball Bowies, best gang name.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

muscles like this! posted:

Anna Torv has joined The Last of Us TV series as Tess. For those who don't remember, Tess is Joel's (Pedro Pascal) partner in his smuggling operation and (game story spoilers) dies pretty early on.

John Noble hard carried the first season of Fringe, but Anna Torv (and Joshua Jackson) became really good from the second season onwards, so I’m exited for this.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I realize it's been years since I last watched the Flash TV show, but what the gently caress, hahaha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YgJB11piNc&t=61s

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
:lol: that's basically a tokusatsu.

As hard as they might try and as decent of budgets, actors, and occasionally effects as they have, those CW shows still feel like highschoolers playing pretend for a student project to me.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Vincent posted:

I realize it's been years since I last watched the Flash TV show, but what the gently caress, hahaha

Glad I bailed early in season two. This is awful.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
One of the contestants on Making It last night made the coolest door I’ve ever seen in my life. I can’t find any examples of it online but it was fuckin incredible

and then they got sent home cos another thing they made broke 😔

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Tom Cavanagh is the best thing about Flash.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Vincent posted:

What the gently caress is going on here. Why is there a power ranger that looks like a bigfoot photograph

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Vincent posted:

I think I stopped at season 3 or 4... did they replace the actors, I seriously don't remember the reverse-flash guy having that face lol. Barry I suppose could just be older with darker hair now and grew a broader jaw and chin, didn't see his face much in that clip.

As awful as that clip is, 3 star wars kids going at it, there's still a stupid part of me that has a lot of questions and wants them answered and I hope it doesn't involve me spending the time catching up. Why is evil flash and reg flash working together, why is regular flash still being such a titty baby about a badguy who was just trying to kill him, presumably the world too, being killed? How or what are their lightning sticks. Is Iris a flash yet?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

What the gently caress is going on here. Why is there a power ranger that looks like a bigfoot photograph

The blurry guy is the Reverse Flash, he's the Flash's arch enemy and does a thing where he's constantly blurred when he uses his version of speed.

As to the sword fight, it really came out of nowhere on the show itself. They've never done anything like that before.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/StarTrek/status/1418630537212747779

Looks like they are going way broader this season, tons of new aliens. Also Jeff Combs!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Khanstant posted:

I think I stopped at season 3 or 4... did they replace the actors, I seriously don't remember the reverse-flash guy having that face lol. Barry I suppose could just be older with darker hair now and grew a broader jaw and chin, didn't see his face much in that clip.

The Reverse Flash in that clip is Tom Cavanaugh. Cavanaugh plays Harrison Wells, of which there's been at least a dozen versions of on the show. Reverse Flash is Eobard Thawne and he has his own actor, but Thawne murdered and impersonated Wells at the start of the show so Cavanaugh was actually Reverse Flash from the start. And the show just keeps using him because they love Cavanaugh and justify it as Thawne loving with the heroes or something.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Vincent posted:

I forget when I bailed on that show, but it was awhile ago... it has not improved any I see. Why are there like 4 Flashes now?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

IRQ posted:

I forget when I bailed on that show, but it was awhile ago... it has not improved any I see. Why are there like 4 Flashes now?

Gotta escalate baybeeeeee

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

IRQ posted:

Because he needs to run faster than he ever has?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

IRQ posted:

There's WAY more than 4.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hughmoris posted:

Because he needs to run faster than he ever has?

I imagine he still needs people to remind him of this every time there's any kind of problem.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

STAC Goat posted:

There's WAY more than 4.

This really shouldn't surprise me. I watched Arrow long enough for basically every character to become an Arrow lite. Is that show still going too?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Arrow ended during Crisis on Infinite Earths in 2019. They backdoored a spinoff in the final season with his daughter taking up the mantle in the future and gave it a lot of setup but it ultimately didn't get picked up.

The Arrow/CW verse is currently:

Flash
Supergirl (ending next season)
Black Lightning (ended this season)
Legends of Tomorrow
Superman and Lois
Batwoman

Although everyone else from Stargirl to Snyder is also established as part of their extended multiverse. But Crisis consolidated all those shows into a new Earth Prime.

edit: Arrow actually ended by Oliver dying during Crisis and then becoming the Spectre in the afterlife. Then after the Anti-Monitor destroyed the multiverse he helped the surviving heroes go back and stop him and then sacrificed himself to create a new shared Earth (and secret multiverse). It was very stupid and very fun.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 23, 2021

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

:lol: that's basically a tokusatsu.

As hard as they might try and as decent of budgets, actors, and occasionally effects as they have, those CW shows still feel like highschoolers playing pretend for a student project to me.

That’s kinda why I love them.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

They are trash but they're trash I enjoy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Masters of the Universe Revelations dropped on Netflix today and despite being a Kevin Smith production it was quite good.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

STAC Goat posted:

The Arrow/CW verse is currently:

Flash
Supergirl (ending next season)
Black Lightning (ended this season)
Legends of Tomorrow
Superman and Lois
Batwoman

Technically this is Supergirl's last season too, they've just been holding back the last however many episodes until Superman and Lois finishes its season.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah Superman finishes it's season on 8/17 and Supergirl episode 8 is 8/24.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

howe_sam posted:

Technically this is Supergirl's last season too, they've just been holding back the last however many episodes until Superman and Lois finishes its season.

Oh, I thought they had one season after this. Whoops.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/TheWheelOfTime/status/1418634929504624646
Finally kind of a release date. (Nov)

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Everything around Wheel of Time sounds like it's being done the right way, but I won't feel sure until I see a trailer.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah for sure. I need to know if it's going to look like early GoT or Sword of Truth.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Is there enough interest in WoT outside of the Book Barn thread to warrant a TVIV one? I can throw something together later tonight if that's the case

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I just wish this show was 1 episode a week. Easier to chat about. I don't follow threads when they dump the entire show out at once. Too much potential for spoilers. Even though I've read the first 8 books.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Do we know anything about the release schedule? I know amazon has done weekly releases for The Boys and The Expanse so I imagine they will continue that with WoT since they seem fairly invested in it being successful and weekly keeps up the conversation.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Oh I suppose not. Here's hoping!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Do we know anything about the release schedule? I know amazon has done weekly releases for The Boys and The Expanse so I imagine they will continue that with WoT since they seem fairly invested in it being successful and weekly keeps up the conversation.

yeah it will definitely be weekly. They want GoT level success out of this thing, I doubt they even do the "first few episodes at once" thing here

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Man that first episode of Ultra City Smiths sure was something. Should have expected something likethe songtoward the end but it really caught me by surprise and was delightful. I didn't think Conrad could out-Conrad himself after Perpetual Grace but I think he's done it.

Only thing that's kind of throwing me off is that some of the voices sound a little off. Am I crazy or is Luis Guzman pitched up a little bit and Jimmi Simpson pitched down maybe? It's not to an unnatural level so maybe it's just a choice they made but that's not how I'm normally used to hearing them. Or maybe I'm also not used to them performing as voice actors so it could just be that I don't have their physical appearance to match up to their performance. Not a big deal though, just something that came to mind while I was watching.

Inspector 34 fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 23, 2021

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Inspector 34 posted:

Man that first episode of Ultra City Smiths sure was something. Should have expected something likethe songtoward the end but it really caught me by surprise and was delightful. I didn't think Conrad could out-Conrad himself after Perpetual Grace but I think he's done it.

Only thing that's kind of throwing me off is that some of the voices sound a little off. Am I crazy or is Luis Guzman pitched up a little bit and Jimmi Simpson pitched down maybe? It's not to an unnatural level so maybe it's just a choice they made but that's not how I'm normally used to hearing them. Or it could just be that I'm also not used to them performing as voice actors so it could just be that I don't have their physical appearance to match up to their performance. Not a big deal though, just something that came to mind while I was watching.

Where is it streaming?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
AMC+ but I think the real answer is :filez:

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

IRQ posted:

Saw a Youtube video of a scene from that same episode and, according to it, there's:
- Flash
- Old Flash (Jay Garrick, played by the actor from the 90's Flash show)
- Barry and Iris' daughter from the future.
- Impulse ( in the comics he's a descendant of Barry, but I don't know his family deal in the show)
- The personification of the speedforce (what makes the Flash go fast) that looks identical to Barry's mom.
- Kid Flash (Wally West, but the actor quit the show, so I don't know if the character is alive or what).
- Jesse Quick.

Evil Flashes:
-Reverse Flash
-Zoom
-Rival
-Black Flash (literally the personification of Death for people who run fast)
-Savitar (Evil Barry from a different timeline or something)
- Godspeed (dude in white)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Vincent posted:

Saw a Youtube video of a scene from that same episode and, according to it, there's:
- Flash
- Old Flash (Jay Garrick, played by the actor from the 90's Flash show)
- Barry and Iris' daughter from the future.
- Impulse ( in the comics he's a descendant of Barry, but I don't know his family deal in the show)
- The personification of the speedforce (what makes the Flash go fast) that looks identical to Barry's mom.
- Kid Flash (Wally West, but the actor quit the show, so I don't know if the character is alive or what).
- Jesse Quick.

Evil Flashes:
-Reverse Flash
-Zoom
-Rival
-Black Flash (literally the personification of Death for people who run fast)
-Savitar (Evil Barry from a different timeline or something)
- Godspeed (dude in white)

Jay Garrick was the Flash of Earth 2 pre Crisis, but the same actor plays Barry's dad on Earth 1. The actor also played Flash in the 90s show which was always the joke, but that show was also part of the multiverse as Earth 90. Earth 90 Flash sacrificed himself in Crisis.

Barry and Iris' daughter from the future is Nora/XS. She was actually erased from existence pre-Crisis but Crisis reestablished her AND her brother Bart/Impulse.

Iris was also a speedster for a bit but not anymore. Nora's speed is kind of patterned off her. Iris kind of has nebulous magic speed force powers that kind of just happen to the need of the plot now or something.

Jesse's dead and I think got erased in Crisis as she was the daughter of Earth 2 Harrison Wells and all the Wells got smushed in Crisis. But I'm not caught up and Crisis could have revived her somehow. I think the actress' God Tweeted Me show got cancelled so its probably a matter of time.

Wally is alive. He was on Legends of Tomorrow a bit. Last we saw him I think he was headed to San Francisco to hang out with Roy Harper... or that might have just been my head canon.

Oddly the Speedforce itself is not a speedster. And is at least half a villain. Also the Speedforce technically died and Barry and Iris brought it back through blahblahblah making the Speedforce their kid... played by Barry's mom.

Technically I think Zoom was turned into Black Flash by the Speedforce. Because the Speedforce is a dick.

There was a bad guy female speedster but I forgot her name. I'm pretty sure she's dead.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Is there enough interest in WoT outside of the Book Barn thread to warrant a TVIV one? I can throw something together later tonight if that's the case

Yes, please!