Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

scary ghost dog posted:

its about to go on sale lol

YOU DIED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

When does the level up lady appear? I just opened the big gate on the first arch stone and I got a bunch of souls I don’t wanna lose to whatever spear blob is in there.

Are there no mid-way bonfires things like in other souls games? I feel like I should have seen one around now.

Are there no item descriptions?

the first boss really is kind of a pushover, especially if you've played all the rest of the games.

i remember buying and returning DeS on ps3 baaack when it first came out but don't really have much recollection of playing it, just that i remember it being comically difficult and me not wanting to bother (aka thinking it was "bullshit" and a "bad game"). but after buying it for ps5 i looked back at my ps3 trophies and apparently i did actually beat the first boss. i shoulda stuck with it. ah well.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Have to say, even with 6+ years DS experience, did not expect half a dozen wolves in the cramped tunnel.

Edit: and wow they really liked their long rear end boss runs in DeS. Getting to Tower Knight is real cool.

Yorkshire Pudding fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jul 21, 2021

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Have to say, even with 6+ years DS experience, did not expect half a dozen wolves in the cramped tunnel.

Edit: and wow they really liked their long rear end boss runs in DeS. Getting to Tower Knight is real cool.

Bruh. You're gonna miss a LOT of QoL improvements they made in later games. "Quick Shortcut to boss gate" being one of them, sadly :(

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

It also seems that the healing items are pretty finite? Is this a situation where if I bang my head against a boss until I run out of all my grass, the answer is “just go farm for a few hours!”?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

It also seems that the healing items are pretty finite? Is this a situation where if I bang my head against a boss until I run out of all my grass, the answer is “just go farm for a few hours!”?

no, you only have to farm for a little bit. almost every enemy in world 1 drops grass.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

scary ghost dog posted:

no, you only have to farm for a little bit. almost every enemy in world 1 drops grass.

That’s good, because farming blood vials is what put me off Bloodborne for months.

So am I supposed to go through one arch stone all the way, or should I hop between the different ones now that they’re all open?

And I’m assuming upgrading weapons functions like souls games, where I have infinite upgrading materials up until like +5, then they become more rare?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Depends on the stage of the game you're at. Early in the game, as a new player just learning the game, you can run out of grass no problem, and the answer is indeed to go and farm the first level for grass.

Later on you'll have items that infinitely regenerate your health (adjudicator's shield, ring of regeneration) and killing a single easy enemy will drop you enough souls to buy like, five grass, and the same type of grass always costs the same amount, unlike BloodBorne where the vials got more expensive as you went through the game.

It's normal to have so much grass by the late game that you can't carry it all.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

So am I supposed to go through one arch stone all the way, or should I hop between the different ones now that they’re all open?

The latter. I'd recommend doing the first boss of world 1 (not that you have a choice), first boss of world 2, first boss of world 3, first boss of world 5 (because having a blunt weapon makes enemies in world 4 much easier and there are some good blunt weapons here) and then the first boss of world 4.

After that, whatever you like.

One other thing about this game compared to BloodBorne is that in this the bosses are easy but the levels are hard. You're far more likely to die in the Swamp of Defilement than you are to the boss at the end of it, so the fact that runbacks are longer isn't as big a deal as it first appears.

Gort fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 21, 2021

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

That’s good, because farming blood vials is what put me off Bloodborne for months.

And I’m assuming upgrading weapons functions like souls games, where I have infinite upgrading materials up until like +5, then they become more rare?

each world has different drops for its main enemy type

world 1: grass
world 2: upgrade mats
world 3: mana version of grass
world 4: souls
world 5: i dont remember

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Gort posted:

The latter. I'd recommend doing the first boss of world 1 (not that you have a choice), first boss of world 2, first boss of world 3, first boss of world 5 (because having a blunt weapon makes enemies in world 4 much easier and there are some good blunt weapons here) and then the first boss of world 4.

This is actually how the game's worlds are laid out internally, suggesting it was an intended path through the game. I'd do 1-2 right after 1-1 or 2-1, though, because unlike the other X-2's it's still relatively easy.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

scary ghost dog posted:

world 5: i dont remember
suffering

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Once you beat Tower Knight you have unlimited farming of the two blue knights and 4 regular dudes right at the gate, and they all drop a buttload of souls and higher level grass.

10 minutes and you're stocked up for the rest of the game.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Demon Souls Virgin Report: Day 3

I’m having quite a bit of fun. The level design is real good, and the lack of an open world really doesn’t bother me like I thought it might.

Beat 1-2 and 2-1. Spider boss was stupid because I basically had to use ranged or magic? Then it was very easy.

I haven’t found any real cool weapons yet, but I do like that the game kind of forces you to utilize different weapon types. I’ve basically ditched the long sword/shield and switched to a Crushing Battle Axe, but I’m using the a +5 Winged Spear for those miner guys in world 2.

The prison scared me, so I’m working on 4-1 (I think? The storm island). It’s got an awesome vibe, and the sound of those flying manta rays is spooky in my headphones. On one hand it’s stupid that they just randomly shoot lasers at you, on the other hand you don’t see that kind of in-fun bullshit in more modern games so it’s kind of a cool throwback.

I’m really trying to take my time and enjoy it, because you only get to experience a souls game once. I’m still at that point where dudes jumping out of boxes is frightening and thrilling, and I know soon enough I’ll just have everything memorized.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Demon Souls Virgin Report: Day 3

I’m having quite a bit of fun. The level design is real good, and the lack of an open world really doesn’t bother me like I thought it might.

Beat 1-2 and 2-1. Spider boss was stupid because I basically had to use ranged or magic? Then it was very easy.

I haven’t found any real cool weapons yet, but I do like that the game kind of forces you to utilize different weapon types. I’ve basically ditched the long sword/shield and switched to a Crushing Battle Axe, but I’m using the a +5 Winged Spear for those miner guys in world 2.

The prison scared me, so I’m working on 4-1 (I think? The storm island). It’s got an awesome vibe, and the sound of those flying manta rays is spooky in my headphones. On one hand it’s stupid that they just randomly shoot lasers at you, on the other hand you don’t see that kind of in-fun bullshit in more modern games so it’s kind of a cool throwback.

I’m really trying to take my time and enjoy it, because you only get to experience a souls game once. I’m still at that point where dudes jumping out of boxes is frightening and thrilling, and I know soon enough I’ll just have everything memorized.

Yeah - two basic strats for Armor Spider: ranged, which you did, and melee. The latter just involves running straight towards him, dodging attacks as you go, until you can hit him IN THE FACE, with the only caveat being the vomit attack, for which you have to run ALL the way back to the beginning, and get into that little nook on the left side (facing back towards the fog) to dodge. Rinse. repeat.

The Prison and subsequent levels in World 3 are some of the best atmosphere created in a videogame EVER. It's def scary, but you NEED to get in there. I will give you one tiny tip for us none of the rest of us got: 'ware shiny things on walls.

But keep going and PLEASE keep posting - we all love watching someone else play a Souls game for the first time since we can no longer do it ourselves. :)

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

It's worth looking up a guide on what to put your levels into. Some stats are worthless, and pretty much all the stats have some levels at which putting extra points into them gives you less benefits than the points you put in earlier did. ("soft caps")

You can click the stats on this page to see what the benefits are for each one and when they start to drop off. Vitality points drop off at 31, 41 and 50, for example.

Generally vitality is a good powerful stat as more hitpoints is key to survival, then you want to pick an attack stat (strength, dexterity, magic or faith depending on your build) and pump that for damage. Endurance is a useful side-stat as it lets you run for longer, do longer combos, and wear heavier armour, so it's useful for melee types. Magic users can pick up intelligence for a bigger mana bar.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Got drunk and played until like midnight last night.

Pushed through the Stonefang tunnels for a long time, but fell in lava and died so I quit. Switched over to the storm island and made it to the adjudicator. I spent a long rear end time trying different things because all these notes were like “try falling” and “use fire” and “stomach a weakness”. I really thought I had to do something with the giant black spike that was bleeding in his stomach. I event went and bought a big club from that bald guy cause I thought maybe I needed a blunt weapon to slam it in.

Finally I saw a “use bow” note and I noticed his head was a flaming bird for some reason? I killed him immediately after that.

I kept on for a bit but rolly skellies kept knocking me off the cliff so I went back to Stonefang. Found the side entrance by jumping down planks to Flamelurker. He was definitely the hardest boss so far, but only took me 3-4 tries. I slapped some sticky slime on my axe and just chopped him down. I was surprised you could flinch him so easy.

I gave the Searing Soul to Ed, though I haven’t found anything to make yet.

For stats, I’m just going Str/vit/end mostly. My strength is like 27 and vir/end are nearly 20.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
If you hit the cleaver stuck in his gut then eventually he will fall over and you can beat up the bird even if you don’t have a bow.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Demons Souls bosses are all sort of gimmick fights if you compare them to the more straightforward bosses in other Souls games but I think they're really neat

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Got drunk and played until like midnight last night.

Pushed through the Stonefang tunnels for a long time, but fell in lava and died so I quit. Switched over to the storm island and made it to the adjudicator. I spent a long rear end time trying different things because all these notes were like “try falling” and “use fire” and “stomach a weakness”. I really thought I had to do something with the giant black spike that was bleeding in his stomach. I event went and bought a big club from that bald guy cause I thought maybe I needed a blunt weapon to slam it in.

Finally I saw a “use bow” note and I noticed his head was a flaming bird for some reason? I killed him immediately after that.

I kept on for a bit but rolly skellies kept knocking me off the cliff so I went back to Stonefang. Found the side entrance by jumping down planks to Flamelurker. He was definitely the hardest boss so far, but only took me 3-4 tries. I slapped some sticky slime on my axe and just chopped him down. I was surprised you could flinch him so easy.

I gave the Searing Soul to Ed, though I haven’t found anything to make yet.

For stats, I’m just going Str/vit/end mostly. My strength is like 27 and vir/end are nearly 20.

There's some real nice strenght weapons available at that point, i'll spoiler them in case you want to do a blind/self-figured out playthrough first one by advancing after flamelurker with white world tendency (which you'll have by now if you've done the "die in nexus" trick) or the second one by upgrading a club with the adjudicator soul at the newly found Ed blacksmith

DeadlyHalibut fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 23, 2021

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
Magic is so wonderfully broken in Demon's Souls. Got myself summoned in to help fight Old King Allant whilst trying to improve my character tendancy. Plenty of folks summoning in for help against that one. Summoner cast one Firestorm. Allant died immediately. Me and very large sword contributed absolutely nothing. Glad I could be of assistance.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

skasion posted:

If you hit the cleaver stuck in his gut then eventually he will fall over and you can beat up the bird even if you don’t have a bow.

I swear I did that over and over and he didn’t fall!

Oh well. You know I always keep that bow on me.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

I swear I did that over and over and he didn’t fall!

Oh well. You know I always keep that bow on me.

It takes quite a few hits for him to fall, I think it's be damage-based (like his sword wound has an invisible HP) in the same way Tower Knight's ankles are, so how many hits it takes depends on your stats. Killing him from up top with ranged weapons is the kind of "secret" way to kill him, and will earn you a trophy in the PS5 version. I actually never knew about the sword wound until my 3rd or 4th playthrough of the original, I always kept a bow on hand specifically for him

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I tore through like 3 zones tonight. I killed Dragon God (bullshit fight) and then went back to the Tower Knight area. I got invaded, for the first time ever, but there was a blue sign beside me so I panic smashed that poo poo.

Stereoscopic, if you’re in here, you’re a true bro. They helped me all the way to Penetrator, and we slapped that long-dicked bastard to the floor.

God bless you, Stereoscopic.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Armor Spider got quite the glow up, I haven't found a way yet to survive that floor covering fire attack if I'm webbed up

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Deified Data posted:

Armor Spider got quite the glow up, I haven't found a way yet to survive that floor covering fire attack if I'm webbed up

You doing melee or ranged?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Deified Data posted:

You have enough i-frames upon standing up from the burning oil to monch a grass, I believe. You can just tank it if need be! Just remember to try not to dodge while you're webbed, and just stand in front of the Spider so it'll only use piddly melees and you can't get webbed by the sides of the arenas.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Melee, I picked up the crossbow and emptied a few dozen bolts into it. Already wasn't my favorite or best designed boss but it's changes are really the only big misstep I've encountered so far.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
lol loving danger jesus over here

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I’ve defeated Dragon God and Old Hero. Are those worlds finished now? I know I can still go forward after beating Penetrator in World 1, so I’m guessing I have to finishing beating Worlds 3 and 5, and then the end boss is in World 1 (or the Nexus? My knowledge of other Souls games tells me to be suspicious of the Maiden in Black)

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

I’ve defeated Dragon God and Old Hero. Are those worlds finished now? I know I can still go forward after beating Penetrator in World 1, so I’m guessing I have to finishing beating Worlds 3 and 5, and then the end boss is in World 1 (or the Nexus? My knowledge of other Souls games tells me to be suspicious of the Maiden in Black)

You haven't killed stormy in world 4 which unlocks unlimited free souls

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

There's one more boss after Old Hero in world 4

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Oh good! I like that world. I beat him and then had to run somewhere irl so I didn’t check too thoroughly.

Latria is SPOOKY. I just knocked a big demon heart from its perch, but I think I’m going to farm some Greystone to get my Crushing Battle Axe to +5 before I go.

I also freed some dude with a shotel in Latria, but haven’t seen him anywhere else yet.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I also freed some dude with a shotel in Latria, but haven’t seen him anywhere else yet.
:stonklol:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Big spoilers ahead, retain the purity of your first run at your own risk: Remember how Lautrec was content killing the Fire Keeper? Not this guy. Yurt is hiding on the second floor of the nexus and will slowly murder off every major NPC in the Nexus. You MUST kill him before he finishes the job, otherwise you will be perma-locked out of all forms of magic as well as a ton of questlines and merchants. Good luck!

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Big spoilers ahead, retain the purity of your first run at your own risk: Remember how Lautrec was content killing the Fire Keeper? Not this guy. Yurt is hiding on the second floor of the nexus and will slowly murder off every major NPC in the Nexus. You MUST kill him before he finishes the job, otherwise you will be perma-locked out of all forms of magic as well as a ton of questlines and merchants. Good luck!

Oh my

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
dont kill him before you find a couple of nameless bodies on the landing or you get locked out of something else

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Ugh. Armor spider is smashing my face in. Fools idol keeps stunlocking my dumb rear end,I keep falling off ledges in the defiled canyon, and these rolling skeletons confuse the gently caress out of me. Demon Soul! :toot:

I need a good place to farm souls, I just wanna use this bow I found!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

The rolling skeletons are quite farmable early in the game. Grab a bashing weapon from world 5 first though, they're very vulnerable to that.

Go with shield and bashing weapon, block until they roll into you, then club 'em to death. You can block pretty much any one of their attacks with the exception of their big slow overhead swing, and you should be able to kill a basic skeleton in three or so hits.

There's a good grinding spot after the first boss of world 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Armor Spider intimidated the gently caress out of me when I first played the game and I didn't see how I could win that fight, but once you figure out it has like 5 moves and they're all super telegraphed it gets comically simple! The most important thing is to dodge out of the way of the webs...