Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ColonelDimak posted:

The impression I'm getting from the latest economic news is that the geographic advantage of the US has been turned against it. Meanwhile, China's and EMEA's investment in land based trade routes will reduce international reliance on the US navy.

We've got lots of issues at home with inflation/inequality/domestic terrorism and how all this will combine and impact US politics doesn't seem fun.

Anyone else getting similar vibes?

Belt-and-Road was almost certainly partially targeted at establishing land routes in order to circumvent any kind of harassment from the navy if the US ever tried to escalate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Centrist Committee posted:

you fuckin dorks what do you think last summer was
less than .01% of the population getting upset about something everyone should have been destructively furious about?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Casey Finnigan posted:

So if I understand quantitative easing right, the fed has been continuously creating new money since the housing crisis and using it to buy up lovely assets from the banks and the financial sector? With the end result that if you lose money on an asset, the fed will just create new money and buy it back from you?

with the added caveat (from my understanding) from last year that they went even further and started buying corporate debt, so now the next time there's a financial crash, the federal reserve of the United States will crash too, so now there will never be another crash bc they can just print their way through. pretty ingenious and absolutely not a worry for the longtime stability of USD as a international trading currency

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

lmao "covid will spike" like covid would be on even our top 100 national worries if 7-8 million people were suddenly homeless

here's hoping the landlords can "self regulate" on this one or number gonna have a bad year

we have less than a million homeless people nationwide right now, so consider what a "homeless crisis" looks like right now in your town and imagine it being 10-12 times bigger

the moratorium on evictions, without extensive relief or broad reforms, was essentially us setting a time delay on a bomb in our living rooms, there's people who are like $10k+ in debt now on back rent, it's never gonna get paid back

this poo poo is giving me chills, all the little sub-economies seem to be shuddering and the analysts who get on TV and talk about money only say dumb things that don't make sense, I feel like I stepped back in time fifteen years and I'm listening to the mad money guy tell me real estate is just a little volatile right now

Mirthless has issued a correction as of 16:29 on Jul 23, 2021

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

The banks are gonna sit on all that inventory to keep housing prices high but rent should fall

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

an astroturfed color revolution by the dnc to delegitimize and overthrow the trump regime

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mirthless posted:

lmao "covid will spike" like covid would be on even our top 100 national worries if 7-8 million people were suddenly homeless

here's hoping the landlords can "self regulate" on this one or number gonna have a bad year

we have less than a million homeless people nationwide right now, so consider what a "homeless crisis" looks like right now in your town and imagine it being 10-12 times bigger

the moratorium on evictions, without extensive relief or broad reforms, was essentially us setting a time delay on a bomb in our living rooms, there's people who are like $10k+ in debt now on back rent, it's never gonna get paid back

this poo poo is giving me chills, all the little sub-economies seem to be shuddering and the analysts who get on TV and talk about money only say dumb things that don't make sense, I feel like I stepped back in time fifteen years and I'm listening to the mad money guy tell me real estate is just a little volatile right now

if those people try hard maybe they can land a better job? thought about that?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

So are evictions happening at the end of the month or next month?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Glumwheels posted:

The banks are gonna sit on all that inventory to keep housing prices high but rent should fall

not likely, at least for a while. a lot of apartment management companies are on the verge of bankruptcy right now, so there's probably going to be a gigantic inventory shift and then massive renovations projections to repair neglected units, which is all going to cost a ton of money, which will then be reflected in rents. On top of that, hundreds of thousands to millions of people all looking for somewhere to rent in a hurry will do obscene things to rents in places without controls

the eviction moratorium was a terrible solution to the problem of "how am i going to pay rent" because it does not answer the question, it just makes it so the landlord can't do anything about you not having an answer

i mean, gently caress the landlord, to be clear, but if the landlord is obligated to make repairs and pay employees etc out of the rental fees, eventually the rental company starts running into the same situation you're running into: "I have all these bills, and no money to pay them with, and yet they keep piling up". While all these landlords were not able to evict their tenants or collect rent, the city was still charging them for water bills, still charging them for gas, still charging them for city services and state taxes and federal taxes and fees etc etc. And, again, to be absolutely clear, gently caress landlords, but our whole renting economy is based around this stupid relationship between landlord and tenant and government and the government's refusal to help people OR let landlords landlord is a perfect example of the kind of lovely compromise our two party system yields us time and time and time again

One of the shittiest gigantic slum complexes in our city wasn't getting rent from a huge portion of their tenants because they were one of the cheapest places to rent in town. But, uh, they also happened to be on prime real estate. They've been trying to jack their rents up for years but they're a 100-unit complex so they're big enough and notorious enough that their reputation alone is what dictates the value of the real estate they operate, basically. As long as people were paying rent on time they couldn't easily kick them out, but without evicting most of the residents they couldn't successfully rebrand. Covid-19 was a great opportunity for them: when they stopped collecting rent, they stopped repairing buildings and paying the water bill. The department of health managed to beat out the eviction moratorium but they wouldn't have been able to get away with this poo poo in the first place if the government had just subsidized rents for a year

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

fits my needs posted:

if those people try hard maybe they can land a better job? thought about that?

Dude are we going to keep this going for three days?

e: Like this poo poo loving irritates the hell out of me, you obligate me to pretend that self-improvement is impossible if I want to also have empathy for other people but the conversation you're so coyly referencing didn't have anything to do with helping people in need and everything to do with you guys crying like loving toddlers because a couple of old people got a few more scraps from the table than you did

Y'all have psychological problems from unaddressed trauma and yelling at people online isn't therapy, take it from me

Mirthless has issued a correction as of 16:55 on Jul 23, 2021

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Mirthless posted:

not likely, at least for a while. a lot of apartment management companies are on the verge of bankruptcy right now, so there's probably going to be a gigantic inventory shift and then massive renovations projections to repair neglected units, which is all going to cost a ton of money, which will then be reflected in rents. On top of that, hundreds of thousands to millions of people all looking for somewhere to rent in a hurry will do obscene things to rents in places without controls

the eviction moratorium was a terrible solution to the problem of "how am i going to pay rent" because it does not answer the question, it just makes it so the landlord can't do anything about you not having an answer

i mean, gently caress the landlord, to be clear, but if the landlord is obligated to make repairs and pay employees etc out of the rental fees, eventually the rental company starts running into the same situation you're running into: "I have all these bills, and no money to pay them with, and yet they keep piling up". While all these landlords were not able to evict their tenants or collect rent, the city was still charging them for water bills, still charging them for gas, still charging them for city services and state taxes and federal taxes and fees etc etc. And, again, to be absolutely clear, gently caress landlords, but our whole renting economy is based around this stupid relationship between landlord and tenant and government and the government's refusal to help people OR let landlords landlord is a perfect example of the kind of lovely compromise our two party system yields us time and time and time again

One of the shittiest gigantic slum complexes in our city wasn't getting rent from a huge portion of their tenants because they were one of the cheapest places to rent in town. But, uh, they also happened to be on prime real estate. They've been trying to jack their rents up for years but they're a 100-unit complex so they're big enough and notorious enough that their reputation alone is what dictates the value of the real estate they operate, basically. As long as people were paying rent on time they couldn't easily kick them out, but without evicting most of the residents they couldn't successfully rebrand. Covid-19 was a great opportunity for them: when they stopped collecting rent, they stopped repairing buildings and paying the water bill. The department of health managed to beat out the eviction moratorium but they wouldn't have been able to get away with this poo poo in the first place if the government had just subsidized rents for a year

yeah because the solution is communism (ie: the state waves off having to pay for water, electricity, land, so that people might stay without having to pay for a roof. basically nationalized housing. so of course this isn’t going to happen. )

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

ColonelDimak posted:

The impression I'm getting from the latest economic news is that the geographic advantage of the US has been turned against it. Meanwhile, China's and EMEA's investment in land based trade routes will reduce international reliance on the US navy.

rail lines are much lower capacity than ships. like that new Chinese rail line is one ship.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Popoto posted:

yeah because the solution is communism (ie: the state waves off having to pay for water, electricity, land, so that people might stay without having to pay for a roof. basically nationalized housing. so of course this isn’t going to happen. )

we can't cut back on whippings or no one will work

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

ColonelDimak posted:

We've got lots of issues at home with inflation/inequality/domestic terrorism and how all this will combine and impact US politics doesn't seem fun.

Anyone else getting similar vibes?

yeah it whips rear end

lol lmao

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Popoto posted:

Like there's a million ways they could have done this in a way that would have been palatable to capitalism and The Capitalists were shrieking for it the entire time so I'm guessing the reality here is that the money to do it doesn't exist short of seizing it from the wealthy or printing it and money printer is only allowed to go brrrrt if it's going to rich people (Because ~~~~~INFLATION~~~~~!!!!!!)

Mirthless has issued a correction as of 17:04 on Jul 23, 2021

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

an astroturfed color revolution by the dnc to delegitimize and overthrow the trump regime

It was a party coup, the rest of the GOP didn't back Trump and decided it was better to let Biden get beat up by the continuing pandemic.

Trump needs to do a thorough purge if he wants to come back in 2024.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Lostconfused posted:

Considering the gun violence in some places we are almost having The Purge right now :v:

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
I cannot imagine Trump maintaining his interest in politics through 2024 at this point

he's barely holding on now and it's only july 2021

taking his social media accounts from him really hosed him up, lol

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mirthless posted:

I cannot imagine Trump maintaining his interest in politics through 2024 at this point

trump never had an interest in politics he had in interest in twitter

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Lostconfused posted:

It was a party coup, the rest of the GOP didn't back Trump and decided it was better to let Biden get beat up by the continuing pandemic.

do you know a way for a president to un-elect half the senate, that doesn't involve getting the CIA to disappear them? because supposing trumbo gets reelected there's no non-crimes route to purging the republicans who actually hold power within the party. and if he does go maximum fash powergrab, it would still be better to take out the dems because the gop would adore having a legit fascist dictator and were constantly dropping subtle hints as such

e:

Rutibex posted:

trump never had an interest in politics he had in interest in twitter

he has an interest in seeing his own reflection, and :foxnews: scratched that itch with all the fawning coverage

silentsnack has issued a correction as of 17:15 on Jul 23, 2021

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Mirthless posted:

ah okay mirthless said this so trumps gonna run and win now.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1418603227134660608?s=20

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

riots. americans are too lazy and content to actually challenge the system

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Mirthless posted:

e: Like this poo poo loving irritates the hell out of me, you obligate me to pretend that self-improvement is impossible if I want to also have empathy for other people but the conversation you're so coyly referencing didn't have anything to do with helping people in need and everything to do with you guys crying like loving toddlers because a couple of old people got a few more scraps from the table than you did

"anyone can be a 95th+ percentile earner with hard work" is mutually exclusive with "the system is broken and the primary causes of income inequality and poverty are systemic"

you need to come to terms with that so you can understand why people got so pissy

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

riots. americans are too lazy and content to actually challenge the system

just americans? i think among the capitalist countries, only the french regularly riot. i may be wrong though

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Number is a Super Saiyan. Every time you think it's going to be beat it yells for a week straight and then gains more power than it previously had before.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Rutibex posted:

yup its basically a clown show. the hierarchy must be preserved at all cost, someone who is rich today must be rich tomorrow regardless of what they do

That really is the crux of the matter. That's why they FREAK the gently caress out about stimulus payments as if the elite haven't been awash in government cash for decades. That's why they needed an even bigger carve out for themselves rather than the population at large: The hierarchy must be preserved and the elite must receive 10 dollars when the working class receives 1.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Number is a Super Saiyan. Every time you think it's going to be beat it yells for a week straight and then gains more power than it previously had before.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
so if mass evictions happen is cool zone for real this time

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Paradoxish posted:

"anyone can be a 95th+ percentile earner with hard work" is mutually exclusive with "the system is broken and the primary causes of income inequality and poverty are systemic"

you need to come to terms with that so you can understand why people got so pissy

I didn't say "anyone can be a 95th percentile earner with hard work", and that's not mutually exclusive unless you believe hard work is virtuous and just, in which case you're just an rear end in a top hat

Working hard sucks and nobody should be obligated to do it, but achieving at least a little more than what you have is nearly always possible if you're an able-bodied person without a criminal record in America. Yes, our system is unfair, inherently. A lot of what makes the system's unfairness function is it's own perception of unfairness. People look for stability and then cling to it, especially if they haven't had a lot of stability in their lives. So they make choices that are poor, and that don't make sense, and that put them into very unfair positions, that lead them to make a lot of other choices that are poor.

We all make a lot of choices, at least with some vague understanding of what those choices may mean for us, and many of those choices have better outcomes than others. This isn't a moral or political statement. :shrug: I don't resent people for having better outcomes or having a little more than me, because, uh, yeah, I could've made better choices? People should be capable of achievement. I also don't resent people for making worse choices, fwiw!

I believe that we should provide for all people, and that all people should enjoy a high standard of living. I don't believe that the incapable and the disabled should be forced into the discomfort of continuous perpetual work just to survive. I don't believe people should be forced to work until their bodies break, and I don't believe people should have to settle for a lower quality of life as they age or retire. We have more than adequate space and resources to provide for all people's needs and frankly, all people's reasonable wants.

Mirthless has issued a correction as of 18:22 on Jul 23, 2021

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

im on the net me boys posted:

so if mass evictions happen is cool zone for real this time

nah it seems like they are well prepared for it at this point

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Theoretically they can't brutally subjugate millions of rioters without resorting to wholesale slaughter. It's one thing to war crime on a couple thousand people, but hundreds of thousands with nothing to lose will not be deterred as a group by gas and rubber.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

you can see the brainworm just wiggling away in the third paragraph, plain as day.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Mirthless posted:

I didn't say "anyone can be a 95th percentile earner with hard work", and that's not mutually exclusive unless you believe hard work is virtuous and just, in which case you're just an rear end in a top hat

Working hard sucks and nobody should be obligated to do it, but achieving at least a little more than what you have is nearly always possible if you're an able-bodied person without a criminal record in America. Yes, our system is unfair, inherently. A lot of what makes the system's unfairness function is it's own perception of unfairness. People look for stability and then cling to it, especially if they haven't had a lot of stability in their lives. So they make choices that are poor, and that don't make sense, and that put them into very unfair positions, that lead them to make a lot of other choices that are poor.

We all make a lot of choices, at least with some vague understanding of what those choices may mean for us, and many of those choices have better outcomes than others. This isn't a moral or political statement. :shrug: I don't resent people for having better outcomes or having a little more than me, because, uh, yeah, I could've made better choices? People should be capable of achievement.

I believe that we should provide for all people, and that all people should enjoy a high standard of living. I don't believe that the incapable and the disabled should be forced into the discomfort of continuous perpetual work just to survive. I don't believe people should be forced to work until their bodies break, and I don't believe people should have to settle for a lower quality of life as they age or retire. We have more than adequate space and resources to provide for all people's needs and frankly, all people's reasonable wants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Spatial posted:

you can see the brainworm just wiggling away in the third paragraph, plain as day.

the only disabled people that the left can tolerate are disabled people who cannot or will not work

it does not matter that we fundamentally agree

the fact that i am capable hurts their argument, because their argument is rooted in my incapability rather than the humanity i am owed

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Go away

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

ohhhhhhhhhh yeah

that's the stuff

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Asproigerosis posted:

Theoretically they can't brutally subjugate millions of rioters without resorting to wholesale slaughter. It's one thing to war crime on a couple thousand people, but hundreds of thousands with nothing to lose will not be deterred as a group by gas and rubber.

the only thing we learned from the last cool zone is that goons loving suck at predicting or understanding current events. I'm gonna go with "theoretically the government can do whatever it wants and reality will bend to its whims like an abject slave" and feel a lot more comfortable in my predictions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Mirthless posted:

the only disabled people that the left can tolerate are disabled people who cannot or will not work

this has nothing to do with your disability dumbass. no leftist is going to pamper your garbage takes because you're autistic or black or a woman or whatever idpol poo poo you wanna hide behind

you're blinded by your anecdotal windfalls. own up to it and listen to the mountain of people calling you out. maybe read theory or something