Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

If anyone is actually playing this, especially with a controller, I'm interested to hear about it. I know it's developed by a goon active here and I want to buy it but I also just want to hear more about the gameplay and see if it works/works well with controller.
Almost all of the screenshots show Xbox controller button prompts, so I'm assuming that's the developer's preferred method of play. In fact, I'm wondering about the opposite, does it play well with mouse and keyboard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Play posted:

If anyone is actually playing this, especially with a controller, I'm interested to hear about it. I know it's developed by a goon active here and I want to buy it but I also just want to hear more about the gameplay and see if it works/works well with controller.

I’ve played the first three missions with mouse and keyboard, it’s pretty smooth. I’ll give it a go with controller in the next couple days. So far, the main strategy with the starter ship seems to be strafe with guns and finish off any stragglers with a couple of torpedo volleys. The default difficulty curve is great for casual fun, I haven’t tried cranking it up yet and probably won’t until I’ve finished the campaign and designed a few overkill ships.

I’m glad I picked it up, I can see myself putting quite a few hours into it. The graphics are
part of the charm, as are the static cutscenes (Battle for Wesnoth anyone?). If you liked Sky Rogue, this is in the same vein but without the roguelite elements. I’ve been hankering for a boat version of Sky Rogue and this scratches that itch. There was another game called Sail Forth that dropped a trailer last year, but it was more pirate-oriented and I believe explicitly roguelike, but Waves of Steel made it out first. No doubt I will end up buying and playing both anyway!

There’s a lot of potential here, too. I’m presuming that if playable aircraft carriers go in eventually, you’ll also be able to customize the aircraft on them? I haven’t encountered any submarines yet, but I have to wonder if there are plans for playable subs as well. Perhaps I’m getting ahead of myself, but an arcadey version of Cold Waters would be a riot. Especially if you could end up building some kind of ridiculous 32-tube cruise missile submarine that can annihilate an entire map in one go.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1295500/Warhammer_40000_Battlesector/

quote:

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war. Experience every bone-rattling explosion and soul-crushing charge in Warhammer 40,000: Battlesector, the definitive battle-scale game of turn-based strategy and fast-paced combat that takes you to the battlefields of the 41st Millenium.

quote:

Bottom line up front: a really solid and enjoyable game where the combat feels good and the 40k vibe feels near enough just right. I want more.

Come to this as it is. Its primary feature is a 20 mission narrative campaign which ties together a set of battles where you choose which forces to bring from those gradually unlocked. Most people are going to get 25+ hours out of the campaign although someone desperate to speed run it could certainly halve that. New units, weapon loadouts, and buffs for units are unlocked mission to mission so you can focus on playing just with some units or develop a broader build for your force for each mission. There are ample difficulty settings to shift things from a roflstomp across the maps to attritional battles depending on your own preference. It's 20 narrative battles linked by the story and a handful of HQ heroes rather than an XCom like ongoing campaign of individual unit progression.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Thanks for the thoughts on Waves of Steel, lemme know if you ever try the controller.

Buncha new games but only these ones look like they could be decent to me:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1380060/Urban_Trial_Tricky_Deluxe_Edition/

Urban Trial Tricky is another trials game, which generally I really enjoy. Specifically about this one, I like the clean 3D graphics, the scooter-style bikes, and from what I've seen there are a lot more tricks than are often found in these games.

quote:

ALRIGHT! URBAN TRIAL TRICKY DELUXE EDITION IS HERE!

Now you can fully express yourself while exploring the urban jungle. With the full package of motorbike tricks, style, and extreme levels you will become unstoppable!

🏍️ KEY FEATURES 🏍️

Urban Trial Tricky Deluxe Edition includes six additional savage customization options each with new rider skin, signature special trick, and the matching motorbike paint job.

DEFY GRAVITY WITH CRAZY TRICKS!

BECOME A CRAZY TRICKSTER!

Grab your seat and pull off the most savage tricks and combos on your motorbike. Ride freely, spin around in the air, go back and forth and let yourself be carried away by the fun, fast-paced gameplay, colorful visuals, and smooth controls.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1435670/Song_of_Farca/

Song of Farca looks kinda cool, and I often like games like this with a simplified way of viewing the game world; in this case, a computer.

quote:

Hack into crime scenes, look for evidence, analyze data, interrogate criminals, track suspects and deal with the consequences of your decisions. This is a dark and brutal detective story with a Black Mirror-esque atmosphere of digital dominance and the narrative structure of a US crime procedural.

“I particularly enjoyed that, when one villain starts talking about how Isabella is just a mirror of him, not so different you and I, etc. and so on, you have the option to respond, basically, "wtf are you talking about, dude?"”
Rock Paper Shotgun

“Song of Farca is a unique journey into the near future where players must dive deep into the criminal underbelly of the world.”
HappyGamer

“It is super interactive, has great background music, and amazing dialogue and characters.”
TDF

Play fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 22, 2021

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Play posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1435670/Song_of_Farca/

Song of Farca looks kinda cool, and I often like games like this with a simplified way of viewing the game world; in this case, a computer.

I'm 4 hours into Song of Farca with more left to go. It plays like a visual novel with puzzle minigames, and the dialogue works like Contradiction: Spot the Liar. You combine clues to make new dialogue options.

It's fun, but there's a couple issues that are common in point and click adventure games. Dialogue trees don't remember how far you were if you end conversations early for lack of clues. And some times the logic doesn't make sense, you can have what looks like a viable deduction, but it gets rejected only to be the right choice in the very next line.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I played a couple of Trials games in the past, but I eventually reached a point where I could no longer progress, ultimately because I lacked the fine control needed with just keyboard buttons. I currently have them listed in a custom folder on steam called "needs a controller".

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Tombot posted:

I played a couple of Trials games in the past, but I eventually reached a point where I could no longer progress, ultimately because I lacked the fine control needed with just keyboard buttons. I currently have them listed in a custom folder on steam called "needs a controller".

Yeah I think controller is by far the best way to do those ones.

Certain games in the genre are absolutely horrible in terms of bullshit grinding/gacha mechanics. Like to the point that you don't even have a CHANCE to beat certain levels unless you pay for a new bike or grind the previous levels a hundred times. No loving thank you, hopefully this one doesn't fall into that trap.

Donnerberg posted:

I'm 4 hours into Song of Farca with more left to go. It plays like a visual novel with puzzle minigames, and the dialogue works like Contradiction: Spot the Liar. You combine clues to make new dialogue options.

It's fun, but there's a couple issues that are common in point and click adventure games. Dialogue trees don't remember how far you were if you end conversations early for lack of clues. And some times the logic doesn't make sense, you can have what looks like a viable deduction, but it gets rejected only to be the right choice in the very next line.

Good to know. Hopefully they can clean that stuff up as they go along. Overall would you still recommend it though?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Play posted:

Good to know. Hopefully they can clean that stuff up as they go along. Overall would you still recommend it though?

Yes, Farca holds up well even if the dialogue trees can get clunky. It should be less of an issue when you're aware of it too.

I've been tired of cyberpunk style games after Cyberpunk 2077. Even though Song of Farca isn't complex in its hacking, it captures the feel of being a cyberpunk netrunner better than CP77. The stakes feel high, and the corpos feel like they need to be hosed over. I needed this to appreciate cyberpunk again.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 22, 2021

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

This looks interesting
SuchArt: Genius Artist Simulator

SuchArt posted:

In SuchArt you are a genius artist living in the year 2130. Make the best of the space studio you own. Create art with a large variety of tools, sell your works, get famous and upgrade your studio! Let your imagination run wild and create the art of your dreams!
Relaxing Artist simulator with (somewhat) realistic painting, commissions, and a story

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 23, 2021

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
This isn't out til September but deffo looks like my kind of jam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBM4wBbOgQk
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1462570/Lost_in_Random/

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
That looks rad as hell! Strong American McGee's Alice vibes

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfY9BYl_vYA

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1612480/Heal_Hitler/

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jul 23, 2021

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Orks must die 3 is releasing to all of the other platforms today after being a timed stadia exclusive. I’m excited for it because I really liked the first two and like everyone else did not get a stadia

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Huge post incoming

Tombot posted:

Waves of Steel

This game sounds like Hilarious nonsense: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1482750/Waves_of_Steel/

I can describe it loosely as a game where you can modify a battleship to an absurd degree to take on increasingly powerful and nonsensical opposition. Just look at the trailer, I don't know if words can really do it justice. It seems to have a plot judging from the synopsis and screenshots.

I played this a lot yesterday after the power went out at my office and I went home early. It is addictive. Designing the ships is super fun and satisfying. By the end I had 8 double main 5" guns facing forward, so I was absolute death going towards other ships but a bit vulnerable from the rear and sides. Some of the missions could use better signposting, one mission which was supposed to be a fast escape I think I couldn't find the main carrier I was supposed to and just wandered around the map destroying everything. Eventually I did find it and the mission ended, so at least it didn't interfere with completion. Could also just use a little tweaking in terms of presentation.

Still, it's damned fun and not really like anything else, plus goon-made and only ten bucks. Totally worth it.

I was hoping this one would do something a bit different with the Trials format. It does look pretty nice, and being able to do spin tricks is different. Still feels very familiar though and still seems to offer a bit of a grind to unlock stuff. If you like this type of game though you'll probably like this.

Play posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1397790/Samurai_Gunn_2/

Samurai Gunn 2 is a neat-looking little pixel art combat game with some overworld exploration it looks like

Single player in this game just involves wandering around, hitting rocks with your sword where then you have a fight with little swordwielding dudes and if you win you move on. No story, not a lot to it. That being said the art looks pretty great if simplistic, and the gameplay is kind of top notch. This could be SO FUN to play with friends, unfortunately I don't really have gaming friends but the way that all you need to beat an enemy (or them to beat you) is a single perfect sword slash is pretty engaging, it makes it all about timing and direction. You have to try to figure out where the enemy is going without being predictable yourself. So A+ on the gameplay. Still, probably won't play this much more just because there's not much to it.

I like this so far. The investigating is varied enough that it keeps you thinking at least a little bit. I wouldn't say it's a very hard game, so far the cases are pretty easy maybe that changes though. Looks very nice though, nice presentation, and people who like investigative games could definitely do a lot worse.

NEW GAMES:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1640710/Interregnum_Chronicles_Signal/

Interregnum Chronicles: Signal is a first person narrative game set in a space station above earth. You do get to explore the space station, complete tasks, etc. but primarily it is a story-based game.

quote:

Interregnum Chronicles: Signal is an INCREMENTAL game with a heavy emphasis on story. It’s about an unstable AI, and the Operator locked with it on a space station above an Earth in turmoil. They try to decode an impossible signal from the depths of space while discovering new truths about themselves and each other. Your role is to oversee the AI’s upgrades on its path to understanding the signal’s message.

This is the first entry in a series of games which tell the story of the Interregnum and its aftermath. Based on the world created by Przemysław Karda in a Polish best-selling sci-fi novel by the same title.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1297090/Stack_Up_or_dive_trying/

Stack Up! (or dive trying) is a cute little party gamer that seems to be getting very good reviews, although folks complain that there's no one online to play or maybe no public rooms.

quote:

Stack Up! (or dive trying) is a stack-your-way-up platformer. The objective is simple: get as high as you can. Avoid contact with water at all costs, be swift with your movements and build yourself a makeshift staircase to the top with the objects falling around you.

The objective is simple, get as high as you can and NEVER touch the water below you. Go at it solo or put your pride on the line by challenging your friends by planning smart, treading carefully and building your way up with the objects falling around you.

Play fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 23, 2021

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Beard Blade

quote:

Run and jump through tropical 16-bit locales as you fend off foes with the power of Branson's shapeshifting beard. Visit the barber to toughen your scruff with new abilities and confront the thieving Smuglins.
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256821225/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1626633231
It sounds like there's still some work to do getting the game to run smoothly at higher resolutions, but that's the only negative the reviews mention.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

drat that looks super great! Love the ultra-clean pixel style

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Hub Cat posted:

This looks interesting
SuchArt: Genius Artist Simulator

Relaxing Artist simulator with (somewhat) realistic painting, commissions, and a story

I'd be very interested in any goon reviews on this one. I almost grabbed it recently but it's kind of a steep price tag for what it looks like ($19.99), especially still in early access. But it looks cool and I'm still tempted.

I know they say the painting is realistic -- I wonder if I can do a wet canvas piece and follow along with a Bob Ross episode

Play
Apr 25, 2006

StarkRavingMad posted:

I'd be very interested in any goon reviews on this one. I almost grabbed it recently but it's kind of a steep price tag for what it looks like ($19.99), especially still in early access. But it looks cool and I'm still tempted.

I know they say the painting is realistic -- I wonder if I can do a wet canvas piece and follow along with a Bob Ross episode

I haven't played it yet but I'll try and remember to check it out this evening. I'm a pretty poo poo artist though so I'm not sure I'm the best person to check it out. I'll do my best though.

It's overwhelmingly positive on Steam so obviously people are liking it on some level

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

StarkRavingMad posted:

I played the demo a while back and it's pretty good. Plenty of different tools and brushes, very chill

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ultrafilter posted:

Beard Blade

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256821225/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1626633231
It sounds like there's still some work to do getting the game to run smoothly at higher resolutions, but that's the only negative the reviews mention.

I've been following the development of this one for a year now and it looks so drat good

RobotParking
Oct 24, 2020
There are a million zillion Warhammer/Warhammer 40K strategy games out there that it's tough to keep track of them all. I picked up Warhammer 40,000: Battlesector (https://store.steampowered.com/app/1295500/Warhammer_40000_Battlesector/) yesterday and I've been having a lot of fun with it.

It's pretty bare bones so far (only the Blood Angels have a playable campaign, but Tyranids are playable in skirmish, obviously). The skirmish mode seems pretty solid, including asynchronous online PvP. I mostly cared because it was done by the Battlestar Galactica: Deadlock folks. Deadlock was pretty bare-bones at launch and over the past couple years grew into one of my favourite strategy games in recent memory.

Battlesector is more of a traditional tactics game compared to Deadlock. The game doesn't look super impressive in screenshots but in motion, it's pretty snappy. A few weird UI decisions here and there but I'm digging it a bunch.

I think the tendency for tactics games (especially post XCOM) is to overwatch your way through a map. One of the main design choices in Battlesector is focusing on momentum. Factions gain momentum based on their specific traits. So for the Blood Angels, that's their blood thirst from killing enemies. They gain momentum by attacking/killing Tyranids and by having used all their action points by the end of the turn. They lose momentum by not using all their action points or by being put into overwatch. The thing about maxing out a unit's momentum meter (called surging) is that they passively gain extra movement after that and you can burn a full momentum meter to take another action. I've had a couple tough missions swing my way because a couple key units started surging at the right moment and those extra attacks were just enough to swing things back my way.

Anyways, it's neat!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

I've been following the development of this one for a year now and it looks so drat good
wait a minute.. gently caress I'm realizing that I've seen this in development too! years ago though when it was just a prototype. drat it's looking good

i miss the days of scouring indie sites like tigsource and seeing devlogs and prototype builds...

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Play posted:

Interregnum Chronicles: Signal is a first person narrative game set in a space station above earth. You do get to explore the space station, complete tasks, etc. but primarily it is a story-based game.

Tried this one but it's kinda just a chore to play. The incremental parts are ok I guess but kinda simplistic, and to move between them you have to trudge through the same empty corridors dozens of times. The entire loop is: play the incremental part until you get an upgrade -> go to the AI terminal to get the next few lines of story -> maybe read an email -> repeat. And the story is not even that good.

Hard pass.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Best Indie Games is the premier youtube channel for keeping up to date on new games releasing, or coming into early access, or putting out trailers. At least, I watch all their videos and it does a lot to keep me up to date and knowing what I want to look forward to. They also go over all the best looking indie games that release each week which is really nice for me.

grate deceiver posted:

Tried this one but it's kinda just a chore to play. The incremental parts are ok I guess but kinda simplistic, and to move between them you have to trudge through the same empty corridors dozens of times. The entire loop is: play the incremental part until you get an upgrade -> go to the AI terminal to get the next few lines of story -> maybe read an email -> repeat. And the story is not even that good.

Hard pass.

Hmm. That's disappointing. I liked the concept but that definitely sounds boring af

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

This feels like they came up with a pun and forcibly worked backwards to build a context in which it makes sense.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

RobotParking posted:

There are a million zillion Warhammer/Warhammer 40K strategy games out there that it's tough to keep track of them all. I picked up Warhammer 40,000: Battlesector (https://store.steampowered.com/app/1295500/Warhammer_40000_Battlesector/) yesterday and I've been having a lot of fun with it.

I'm hesitant to say it, but this has the possibility of dethroning Dawn of War: Dark Crusade as the top 40k game if they follow through with supporting the game with factions, army painter, campaigns, and game modes (aka "risk" Dark Crusade). This game is so good right now as far as mechanics and polish, that they have an amazing core of a game to turn it into something incredibly special and cement it as the 40k game.

I really dig Space Marines vs Tyranids. I'm not a fan of Orks, and everyone wants OrksOrksOrks lately in all the games, so what they are offering right now is my poo poo.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Weirdest thing about Slitherine who made Battlesector and a couple of other Warhams is that they also mad the "simulation" for Deadliest Warrior, that crappy show where you get a samurai facing off against a Zulu warrior. How the hell did that happen?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Slitherine is a publisher, battle sector devs is another company, don't know the name

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1522820/Orcs_Must_Die_3/

quote:

Slice, burn, toss, zap, grind and gib massive hordes of repugnant orcs in this long-awaited successor to the award-winning Orcs Must Die! series.

Steam thread seems to think it's "more OMD" so yay? Not into it myself.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

victrix posted:

Slitherine is a publisher, battle sector devs is another company, don't know the name

That makes sense, but it's still kinda weird.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

victrix posted:

Black Lab Games. Looks like they've made Battlestar Galactica Deadlock and Star Hammer. Never knew about either.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Philthy posted:

I'm hesitant to say it, but this has the possibility of dethroning Dawn of War: Dark Crusade as the top 40k game if they follow through with supporting the game with factions, army painter, campaigns, and game modes (aka "risk" Dark Crusade). This game is so good right now as far as mechanics and polish, that they have an amazing core of a game to turn it into something incredibly special and cement it as the 40k game.

I really dig Space Marines vs Tyranids. I'm not a fan of Orks, and everyone wants OrksOrksOrks lately in all the games, so what they are offering right now is my poo poo.

I'm into any 40k game as long as it's not a boring space marines game. How does this one stand up?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Jarvisi posted:

I'm into any 40k game as long as it's not a boring space marines game. How does this one stand up?

Well, it's currently a space marines game through and through. It takes place after Devastation of Baal (Book) where they're cleaning up their system of straggler tyranids and they got infused with primaris marines from Guilliman to replenish their chapters, so they get to prove their worth. It's turn based table top brought to the PC with polish. Blood Angels vs Tyranids across 20 scenarios, and a skirmish mode that lets you build an army with various point buy and objectives/turns and go head to head vs the CPU or another person multiplayer. I'm not gunna lie, I'm totally geeking on this game because I have played more total poo poo 40k games than I can shake a stick at and this is everything I've always wanted. Well, it will be once they add factions, but right now I'm having a blast.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 24, 2021

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
I played the demo for Carrier 2, and found it pretty fun. I could definetly see a mp version like Pulsar being some fun shenanigans.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

DreadUnknown posted:

I played the demo for Carrier 2, and found it pretty fun. I could definetly see a mp version like Pulsar being some fun shenanigans.

Do you mean Carrier Command 2? They also just announced a VR version, but it appears to be separate which is kinda disappointing.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

bgreman posted:

Do you mean Carrier Command 2? They also just announced a VR version, but it appears to be separate which is kinda disappointing.

Looks like in the announcement it is going to be bundled together!

quote:

Because Carrier Command 2 and Carrier Command 2 VR are such similar games, we don't expect players to pay twice - we are packaging both together, so when you own one version, you own both.

Nice!

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

priznat posted:

Looks like in the announcement it is going to be bundled together!

Nice!

Oh that's pretty cool. Still not sure why they don't just have one steam entry that they can configure to launch in either mode via the popup like say, Derail Valley, but I'm glad I'll get both.

Kinda makes me worried about new features being delayed about coming to one mode or the other, tho.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

StarkRavingMad posted:

I played this and I don't really get it at all. It's like an actual art program where you can make art but shoved into a purposeless first person perspective, making every single thing multiple times more annoying and time consuming. Like, you need to pick up certain brushes, wash them, have the colors you want ready from the paint dispenser, you even need something to hold you up to reach the top of the canvas. I just don't see the point I guess, if you want to make art get a program that is made for that, if you want to paint on a physical canvas, do that. This in between thing, where you have the annoying controls of a video game but you're still trying to make good art, just introduces extra frustration in my opinion. I'm returning it.

I also played Beard Blade, which seems like a pretty fun albeit very standard platformer. Very Mario-like in feel, and does have some neat mechanics. If you like platformers like that it should be pretty good.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1511830/Shadows_Behind_the_Throne_2/

Goon-made, just came out of Early Access

quote:

An apocalyptic grand strategy game, in which you take the role of the forces of darkness, trying to bring an end to a fantasy world. Complete with complex internal politics by NPC factions and wide ranges of strategies and types of doom to choose between.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Play posted:

I played this and I don't really get it at all. It's like an actual art program where you can make art but shoved into a purposeless first person perspective, making every single thing multiple times more annoying and time consuming. Like, you need to pick up certain brushes, wash them, have the colors you want ready from the paint dispenser, you even need something to hold you up to reach the top of the canvas. I just don't see the point I guess, if you want to make art get a program that is made for that, if you want to paint on a physical canvas, do that. This in between thing, where you have the annoying controls of a video game but you're still trying to make good art, just introduces extra frustration in my opinion. I'm returning it.

I also played Beard Blade, which seems like a pretty fun albeit very standard platformer. Very Mario-like in feel, and does have some neat mechanics. If you like platformers like that it should be pretty good.

Thanks for the review. I might check it out on sale sometime or something, but it doesn't sound like a priority pickup.

For those that didn't follow it, there was a Kickstarter campaign for a game called That Which Sleeps, which promised to be a game where you are an Elder god and you try to take over the world, not directly at first, but using your power to infiltrate a society and using your cultists and shadow abilities to slowly grow power until you had one of several ways to go on the offensive. And there would be heroes and stuff dedicated to sniffing you out and stopping your plans. Anyway, the Kickstarter completely fell apart in a blaze of drama and lies and fake prototypes and all the bad things imaginable. There was a thread on the forums here that went from being interested in the game to basically just :munch:ing and following the drama and joking about it.

At some point, a goon in that thread was like "you know, I could probably just make this game, since these idiots are clearly never going to finish it." And he did. This is that goon's game. I haven't tried it out, but I hear it at least works and exists, which is better than the Kickstarter it was based on.