Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Tenebrais posted:

Is the magic stuff a secret in HTBAW? Everyone seems pretty open about it. If they're trying to hide their stuff from the mortals they really don't seem to be trying very hard.

I think the magical Alpha powers are more of an earned thing than an inborn one? Malaya managed to do it and she isn't otherwise special. It doesn't seem like they can do it with just anyone, either, I think it's more of a pack relationship thing.

It's kind of vague, like somehow Malaya's family couldn't find any resources on werewolves for 20-ish years to help her. When Marin was werewolf'd, she was pretty surprised to find out werewolves are real. Then the doctor was shocked that she recovered from a terminal brain tumor, and "chalked it up to a miracle" and if people knew about werewolves or magic you think that'd be a bit less shocking to him.

It's not really clear how open magic-users are, apparently non-magic people can enter magic groups and talk about woo-woo nonsense, so maybe it's acknowledged to be real but rare? But Marisa can only use magic to heal people in subtle ways to avoid being caught, so no idea what's going on there.

The alpha powers seem to be a manifestation of your inborn will, but the werewolf part of you needs some reason to respect the alpha powers. Malaya could use it on the other teen werewolves because they were all bitten by the same wolf. Elias' grandmother could use it on him and Marin because they're from the same wolf line, too. And now Aubrey and her dad. It hasn't been demonstrated if Malaya could use her alpha powers on Aubrey yet or not.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Are people still doing that 'alpha wolf' poo poo?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's been embedded into pop culture's psyche, much like the myth about chameleons blending into their environments.

Just be glad if it's just bad wolf science and not the Omegaverse poo poo, that springboarded off bad wolf science to be a weird sex thing.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

The Lone Badger posted:

The characters in the comic acknowledge that werewolf packs are usually family units with the parents and kids who haven't left, like modern wolf behavior has demonstrated, but then also certain people just have magic alpha mind control abilities over other werewolves in their pack.

But anyway...

fun hater posted:

my webcomic is 8 years old today! wowza!

read it here http://www.aghoststorycomic.com/

Congrats! And happy webcomic birthday!

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

fun hater posted:

my webcomic is 8 years old today! wowza!

read it here http://www.aghoststorycomic.com/

Is there a possibility your guys will ghostbust a famous rock musician? George Harrison or Keith Moon or somesuch

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
im waiting for a real showstopper before i commit

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Really holding out for Ray Parker Jr. to bite the big one, eh?

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
How about the living traveling wilburies reuiniting with the dead ones

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's been embedded into pop culture's psyche, much like the myth about chameleons blending into their environments.

Just be glad if it's just bad wolf science and not the Omegaverse poo poo, that springboarded off bad wolf science to be a weird sex thing.

Today's comic shows that the real power in a socially unpredictable situation is not mystical werewolf powers, but the ability to turn on your Customer Service Voice. Possibly with a deniable amount of passive-aggressiveness.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Bobulus posted:

Today's comic shows that the real power in a socially unpredictable situation is not mystical werewolf powers, but the ability to turn on your Customer Service Voice. Possibly with a deniable amount of passive-aggressiveness.

It turns out the real alpha powers were the menial service jobs we had along the way

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
The Oglaf authors just posted on their Patreon that they are working on a 200 pages story with Mistress, Sandoval and co that they hope to release later this year

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Zlodo posted:

The Oglaf authors just posted on their Patreon that they are working on a 200 pages story with Mistress, Sandoval and co that they hope to release later this year

I am very excited by this news.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

Zlodo posted:

I hope they come up with an appropriately funny and humiliating way to bring Ivan back from the dead.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
He's not dead! Just some kind of enchanted sleep, apparently.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Which one is Sandoval?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Galvanik posted:

Which one is Sandoval?

You probably know him as "the ambassador."

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I wish broodhollow didn’t die. Bring back broodhollow

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I wish broodhollow didn’t die. Bring back broodhollow

I got so excited to see it in my RSS a few weeks back only to discover it was the domain reverting.

It kinda hurt.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wadsworth died at the bottom of that cave, and Broodhollow refused to change. :(

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

The Lone Badger posted:

SlothfulCobra posted:

The funniest part about both of these things, and a lot of other animal misconceptions, is that there are other animals where it is super accurate and people just can't update their mental models, even though it seems like it should be a simple substitution. poo poo, the alpha poo poo didn't even start with wolves, it started with certain monkeys where it is still used today because it actually describes the common dynamics in many species! (well the concept of dominance hierarchies started with chickens, but I think the term alpha started with monkeys)

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

yeah but nobody wants to be the Alpha Chimp

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
But what about the Alpha Cock.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

mycot posted:

Somebody's asking about me?

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

mycot posted:

But what about the Elfo Cock.

Somebody's asking about me?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

mycot posted:

Chickens are basically dinosaurs so this should be an easy sell.

Edit: brb, gonna write a teen romance series about bad-boy weredinosaurs

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

The Lone Badger posted:

Will Jane Ordinarygirl get together with Ann Kylosaurus, or Terry Dactyl? :ohdear:

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

girl dick energy posted:

Will Jane Ordinarygirl get together with Ann Kylosaurus, or Terry Dactyl? :ohdear:

Maybe both. It's knot for us to judge.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Lone Badger posted:

My god, dude, you don't just say moneymaker ideas like that out loud

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The Lone Badger posted:

JoJo did it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Begemot posted:

JoJo did it.

Did he at any point learn how to draw? The perspective on that would make HP Lovecraft start looking for either a bunker or a length of rope.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
For what it's worth I'm pretty sure that's a model from the video game

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Jedit posted:

Did he at any point learn how to draw? The perspective on that would make HP Lovecraft start looking for either a bunker or a length of rope.

Are you asking if Araki knows how to draw??

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Jedit posted:

This sure is an opinion someone could have.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I love the can of worms that just got opened

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jedit posted:

Did he at any point learn how to draw dogs? The dogs on that would make HP Lovecraft start looking for either a bunker or a length of rope.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Araki can draw the poo poo out of a normal dog if he wants to, the weird dogs are 100% stylistic choice.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
can someone post the weird potato dog

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

I dunno wtf you're all talking about these dogs are perfectly normal

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

DoctorWhat posted:

Are you asking if Araki knows how to draw??

Are you looking at that picture, where the tail is attached to the right buttock and the right leg is attached to Christ knows what and rotated at an impossible angle, and thinking that the artist can draw? It's eye-watering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Jedit posted:

Are you looking at that picture, where the tail is attached to the right buttock and the right leg is attached to Christ knows what and rotated at an impossible angle, and thinking that the artist can draw? It's eye-watering.

As someone said upthread it's not a drawing from Araki but a promo render of a 3d character model from one of the fighting games