Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/ChainsawManShot/status/1417812707009605634
Fujimoto draws Psycho Goreman and Nobara from JJK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

That's pretty cool because if there's one character from Jujutsu Kaisen who would fit in the world of Chainsaw Man, it's her.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

MachuPikacchu posted:

That's pretty cool because if there's one character from Jujutsu Kaisen who would fit in the world of Chainsaw Man, it's her.

Yeah she really fits the world of Chainsaw Man because she’s loving dead

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i would like to see Choso in Chainsawworld

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

MachuPikacchu posted:

everyone in jujutsu kaisen fits
because every sorceror is a maniac

dogsicle posted:

i would like to see Choso in Chainsawworld

Dicovering new ways of male bonding

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, like it's mentioned that you need to have some serious loving baggage to be a Cursed Technique/Cursed Tool user and it shows on almost everyone on the main cast of JJK.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

thetoughestbean posted:

Yeah she really fits the world of Chainsaw Man because she’s loving dead

Aww cmon dude that's not a cool spoiler, I just started watching this :(

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
If it helps it's probably not a real spoiler.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah that's very much in the realm of speculation/assumption

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also there's no way it actually happens because everyone loves Nobara.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

Also there's no way it actually happens because everyone loves Nobara.

Everyone loved Power and Aki, too.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

chiasaur11 posted:

Everyone loved Power and Aki, too.

Still there is a vast difference between (JJK spoilers since this is happening now I guess) Someone getting their head exploded on panel and having it vaguely implied that someone died offscreen

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I have chosen violence, today.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I Am Fowl posted:

I have chosen violence, today.

I think you're confused.

That's Power.

Violence is the one in the mask.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Oh right, sorry. I've chosen Power, today.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Scholtz posted:

Aww cmon dude that's not a cool spoiler, I just started watching this :(

I used spoiler tags

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

I think you're confused.

That's Power.

Violence is the one in the mask.

Huh, I remember the violence that's about to ensue quite well.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

I used spoiler tags

Lol, yeah you didn't do a single thing wrong champ.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Glad we have a new FMA dog meme

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/IDN_278/status/1419233196667899905?s=19

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/D_Kumii/status/1419389103993466887?s=20

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i mean, you don't write firepunch and chainsaw man by being on a completely even keel

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Look at this neat diorama!

https://twitter.com/jayfix18/status/1419724331937062912

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

https://twitter.com/D_Kumii/status/1422097207780577284

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
The changes also remove references to the attacker being mentally ill, which is a good move.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
We'd had some inkling that this was a pretty personal story for Fujimoto right? I felt like that stuff was really poignant and powerful, but upon seeing the criticisms some people had over it I get it, and the change doesn't detract much from the overall message.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I appreciate not wanting to stigmatize people with mental illness, but making the attacker less like the guy who went after KyoAni seems to be a bit like if you made the villain of Inglorious Basterds into Master D from Bionic Commando

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Zerilan posted:

I'm guessing CSM is just really selective on what he eats for that reason. He's killed a lot of devils, but only seems to devour those that represent horrible concepts that shouldn't exist. The other non-death states of existence must have been real loving awful.

He is the hero of hell.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
https://twitter.com/cardboardshark/status/1428888909283532804?s=19

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

CodfishCartographer posted:

The changes also remove references to the attacker being mentally ill, which is a good move.
yeah wouldn't want to make out that someone who kills people for plagiarism or for being artists is mentally ill

?????????

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Relin posted:

yeah wouldn't want to make out that someone who kills people for plagiarism or for being artists is mentally ill

?????????

Yes, people who commit murder tend to be mentally ill in some way, because those who are mentally sound tend not to kill people. However, there's a very common trope that ANY mental illness can lead people to become violent or dangerous. This is a negative and harmful stereotype, and only helps to worsen the (already very poor) social understanding of mental health. When media draws attention to people committing violence having mental health problems, it furthers this stereotype.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the only problem is it's not a consideration that has relevant place in discussion for Look Back, which had a specific context to what it was doing

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Yes it was obviously a reference to a real-life event, but this is a manga where the author decides what details to include or omit. It would be fully possible to include enough details to make it clear that this is referring to a real world event without explicitly drawing attention to the fact that the killer "heard voices"

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
That oneshot is incredible. I liked Chainsaw Man a lot, but I loved Look Back.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Yes it was obviously a reference to a real-life event, but this is a manga where the author decides what details to include or omit. It would be fully possible to include enough details to make it clear that this is referring to a real world event without explicitly drawing attention to the fact that the killer "heard voices"

it was a key part of tying it to the event being referenced so nah

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb

That is a pretty neat diorama.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/ryosuketarou/status/1429082210980700162?s=19

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

I'm sure this change is simply a part of Japan's excellent attitudes towards mental health issues and nothing to do with corporate pressure to distance a product from being too close to real events to avoid controversy.

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
I just finished reading Fire Punch. There's a lot of flaws but it's obvious that Fujimoto was already crazy talented, especially considering he was only 24 by the time it concluded!

The first few chapters felt a bit like filling out a checklist of "dark" subject matter - you get cannibalism, mass murder, incest, and pedophilia within the first two, and then when bestiality gets brought up a few chapters later it all feels rather rote.
I thought Fire Punch was at its strongest (and not coincidentally at its most Chainsaw Manesque) when Togata was a part of proceedings. The section focusing on the relationship between Agni and Togata had a good blend of black comedy, ultraviolence and character interaction. I was pleasantly surprised by the revalation about Togata's gender - much more usually, a trans character would be forcibly outed when their body is exposed. Togata, however, has already been seen naked - his gender is revealed by an examination of his "heart".
Agni's vision of Luna telling him to kill Doma came out of nowhere, and really hurt the series in the long run. It doesn't really fit with his other delusions, and leads directly to the death of the most interesting character, Togata. From there you get a pseudo-incestuous sexual relationship with a woman with brain damage and not a whole lot of fun.
I enjoyed the cinema motif, and some of the musings on the makings and attributes of gods, but both felt a little half-baked.

Ultimately it's worth a read if you're interested in Fujimoto's work, but with the caveat that it does a much worse job than Chainsaw Man of balancing despair and brutality with levity and fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, we still have no news of part 2, and no date for the anime, but we do have news.

We're getting a tie-in light novel.

Three short stories. One about Power being a genius* detective with Denji as her assistant, one about Himeno and Aki's first time together, and one about Quanxi and Kishibe's time with Public Safety back in the day.

Fujimoto's not writing it and there's been no official US release announced, so I'm not getting my hopes too high, but it's at least more interesting than more line stickers.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Sep 6, 2021