Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
By the end of the first season we'll need half a dozen threads like GOT or The Expanse. Might as well get started now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I just hope it's more The Expanse and less Dexter.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's also possible we get burned out on so much big budget fantasy shows? Lord of the Rings, Wheel of Time, Game of Thrones spinoff, and maybe that Shadow and Bone show counts.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Mu Zeta posted:

It's also possible we get burned out on so much big budget fantasy shows? Lord of the Rings, Wheel of Time, Game of Thrones spinoff, and maybe that Shadow and Bone show counts.

If I were a betting man, that GoT spinoff is going to land like a warm turd. They're not capturing that magic twice.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Shadow and Bone came and went already. No season 2 for what 2 years? So I'm not considering that. Lord of the Rings maybe, but that's not until next year sometime.

GoT is all hosed up. I have zero interest in that.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mu Zeta posted:

Somehow I'll be able to refrain from getting burned out on 30 episodes a year

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Shadow and Bone was baaaaad.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I enjoyed it! I'm looking forward to season 2. It was a ton of fun.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I liked it too, it was fun, pretty, fluff.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Shadow and Bone was not anything special in terms of writing but it was extremely well-produced and looked great, much better than every other fantasy show that is not GoT

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I really liked the grimy Guy Ritchie-lite segments but all the YA romance stuff really dragged it down

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Hughmoris posted:

If I were a betting man, that GoT spinoff is going to land like a warm turd. They're not capturing that magic twice.

I think it can be good, it just needs to start off super good in every way and generate buzz otherwise no one will tune in because of the taste in their mouths left from the last season.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

I really liked the grimy Guy Ritchie-lite segments but all the YA romance stuff really dragged it down

It really did, but it was obvious it was going to be One of Those from the start. The setting was interesting and well enough executed to make up for it.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

GreenNight posted:

I enjoyed it! I'm looking forward to season 2. It was a ton of fun.

It was far from perfect but I still enjoyed it. Some neat characters and world building but you also have a prophesied "chosen one" and some silly dialogue. I liked where it went with Prince Charming and found myself wanting to know more about the other lands and societies so it beats out the Dark Materials show and that most of the other Netflix fantasy/sci fi shows as of late.

Hoping WoT surprises me as I noped out of those books hard when they had an entire book about braid tugging and skirt smoothing. I still refuse to ever read the rest of the series. I remember wanting to like the world that was a nice mix of Middle Earth and Arrakis and the dangers of actually being the chosen one so hopefully it cuts out the insane amounts of dead space. This LoTR show is cut from parts of the Silmarillion right? Hoping there is no silly rules like they cant mention the rings or Sauron or something like that. GoT? Ugh. Also I remember everything I heard about that show so far sounded like some producers wanted to make a cash grab tv show for something that used to be famous. Only way it could survive is if someone with serious talent tried making a passion project and I don't think that is what is coming. Just embrace the memory holing and move on...

Speaking of old things: watching Weeds. Saw some episodes YEARS ago and remember thinking it was ok. Three episodes in and I enjoy the side characters more than the main cast. It's ok so far but could easily see this show becoming obnoxious. So what is the TVIV consensus?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I really liked Weeds up until the 3rd or 4th season. I remember a season that revolved around a tunnel to Mexico? Maybe that was the 4th season. Then at some point there was an episode devoted to butter sculptures and I think that was when I just stopped paying attention.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Weeds was decent for the first three seasons when like Nancy is self destructive but not outright sociopathic and the show is hyper aware that she's making bad decisions and hurting everyone who enters her life and that's the point of the show but also she's grieving and struggling and a mess so you're sympathetic... until you're not. And the play of the suburban "perfect" life and what she's willing to do to maintain it and the lies under it.

But then the show goes on the road and just goes all in on Nancy being this sexy chaos demon who doesn't really seem to care about her family or anything and they've all become bizarre caricatures and the scenarios are absurd. And each season it just gets dumber and dumber and Nancy gets worse and worse. And eventually everyone just hates her and everyone's just telling her how much she sucks but she shrugs and finds someone new to sell drugs with her and have sexy times and its all so bad.

But the first three seasons are actually a decent show with an ending and everything.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Hughmoris posted:

Yes, please!

I'll put something together tonight, I am currently en route to my mom's house for the weekend.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

The Underground Railroad is really good. and it looks incredible (duh it's Barry Jenkins)

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Took me a while, I apologize, also I am bad as posting but here's a WoT thread for WoT discussion instead of posting it here

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3974396

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

This season of Dave has been amazing!

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jul 24, 2021

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Ted Lasso s2 premiere was good. Keeley and Roy are still my favorite couple on TV, but Roy and the yoga mums are going to be a blast.

Dani Rojas! Football is life! but football is also death. And football is also football.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jul 24, 2021

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

what the

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

what the

I am unshocked. We talk about teen girl fandom a lot, but there's a forty something dude fandom that's just as toxic.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Rhyno posted:

Masters of the Universe Revelations dropped on Netflix today and despite being a Kevin Smith production it was quite good.

I'm shocked at how good it was and how there wasn't a single dick joke. Probably the best looking American cartoon I've seen in years.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

JT Smiley posted:

I'm shocked at how good it was and how there wasn't a single dick joke. Probably the best looking American cartoon I've seen in years.

"No Glove, No Love" from the second episode counts.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

what the

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mu Zeta posted:

what the

Incel energy.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

This season of Dave has been amazing!

This episode was so frustrating (deliberately) because oh my god Dave it was SO EASY to adapt your verse to that beat. v good show

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Just nuke every fandom and start again from scratch, goddamn. I cannot wait for all these angry entitled Gen X neckbeards to gently caress off already. I hope every 80s franchise they hold dear reboots itself into a modern format that infuriates them.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

They love bringing up star wars

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
All this Weeds, Sons of Anarchy, and a bit further Dexter talk has me wondering what are the shows airing now that have gone completely off the rails? I'm missing that what the gently caress are they doing energy and I'm not watching anything like that.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

They love bringing up star wars

Not just Star Wars, but specifically the one new entry that basically had “anyone can be a Star War” as its thesis statement.

It’s just top-to-bottom gatekeeping and massive insecurity over any perceived threat to their manhood. It’s pathetic.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It's the gamergate/comicsgate crowd, the are an annoying loud bunch of incels, white supremacists and other nastiness, but luckily there are also not many of them.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I’m getting a new avatar and I could use some help. Can any of you Seinfeld watchers give me some good av text ideas to go with this image?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

isaboo posted:

Ted Lasso s2 premiere was good. Keeley and Roy are still my favorite couple on TV, but Roy and the yoga mums are going to be a blast.

Dani Rojas! Football is life! but football is also death. And football is also football.

But mostly life!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

these fuckers, even their marketing tactics are emotional

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

SunshineDanceParty posted:

All this Weeds, Sons of Anarchy, and a bit further Dexter talk has me wondering what are the shows airing now that have gone completely off the rails? I'm missing that what the gently caress are they doing energy and I'm not watching anything like that.

IMO Animal Kingdom got pretty bad, but I dumped that over a season ago.

A lot of people would say Legends Of Tomorrow (but they're wrong, it actually got awesome), but pretty much and any of the other super long running superhero shows -- particularly The Flash, if this thread is anything to go by.

Most shows don't go that long anymore though, tbh.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I. M. Gei posted:

I’m getting a new avatar and I could use some help. Can any of you Seinfeld watchers give me some good av text ideas to go with this image?

How do you post… with your hands? :smuggo:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SunshineDanceParty posted:

All this Weeds, Sons of Anarchy, and a bit further Dexter talk has me wondering what are the shows airing now that have gone completely off the rails?

Gangs of London. In a good way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/frknbns/status/1282436298360455169

This is a future state exhibit in a serial killer trial