Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah OMD3 seems pretty good so far but you know what you're getting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Bought OMD3, can confirm it's basically just more OMD.
Pretty fun so far, but UGH, did they really have to make the characters make unfunny quips for EVERY SINGLE KILL.

Broken Cog posted:

it's basically just more OMD.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Did the main characters even talk during missions in the first two? I honestly can't remember, or I've subconsciously repressed it.

Edit: I will say though, that there seems to be a LOT more traps and weapons to choose from in this, and so a lot more potential loadouts to play around with.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 24, 2021

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It’s certainly possible they made it even worse in OMD3 but they absolutely did.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Helldivers, definitely

also Alien Swarm: Reactive Drop

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

How does OMD compare to say Dungeon Defenders? I liked DD but the cash shop/grind ruined it for me after a while.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

socialsecurity posted:

How does OMD compare to say Dungeon Defenders? I liked DD but the cash shop/grind ruined it for me after a while.
I haven't played the latest DD, or the original after they made the changes that had people up in arms, but OMD is probably what I'd consider a much more streamlined experience.

You have specific weapons and traps (that you can upgrade with meta currency) instead of having to find random gear, and the maps are much more compact and vertical than DD. OMD traps also involve a lot more physics shenanigans than what I can remember from DD, and you can make entire setups that rely on just throwing enemies around (which I remember was actually kinda viable to get high scores because of combos in OMD2).

Edit: I'd kinda say OMD is more like an action-TD game while DD is more of an RPG-TD game, if that makes any sense.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 24, 2021

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Greenmangaming has battlefield 2042 at 20% off/$48 USD. how do they secure these deals?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Just gonna repeat what others have said, OMD3 is more OMD. There's more weapons and traps n stuff and they seem good. The war floors, or at least the one I have played so far, are good too - you get more money, there's more enemies, and you get some giant traps that can only be used on those floors which are fun.

But the story and dialogue are somehow even worse. I just try to tune it out as I genocide Orcs. I dunno who decides to take the gamble that their quip-writing will not only be funny the first time you hear it, but also the 200th, but they should not have - it's an almost impossible task and the most likely outcome is you just annoy people. No one would be saying "I wish my ear was being verbally poo poo in as I played this game, I quit!" if they just hadn't done it, and it would have been less work for them!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Greenmangaming has battlefield 2042 at 20% off/$48 USD. how do they secure these deals?

Like physical retailers games are sold to digital retailers at bulk prices, not $60 (or whatever) per key. They can sell them for whatever they want after that.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Is the whole "limb" stuff really that interesting in the long run, doesn't seem like it would be that big of a deal

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

They probably sell a ton of copies because of small discounts and regional pricing comparable or sometimes better than Steam's

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is the whole "limb" stuff really that interesting in the long run, doesn't seem like it would be that big of a deal

It's just an alternative to "shoot head" or "shoot giant eyeball". The appeal of Dead Space comes from the basic thrill of making your way through a derelict spaceship filled with monsters. Which it does in a satisfactory, very 7/10 way.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The limb stuff is overblown marketing but the game is genuinely really good anyways.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Det_no posted:

They probably sell a ton of copies because of small discounts and regional pricing comparable or sometimes better than Steam's

There was also a very good deal for an 500 GB SSD (gone now) that I saw earlier today that came with a 2042 that effectively made the game cost like $15 based on the value of the bundle. So they may be getting keys from stuff like that too

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It’s pretty great. Enemies act and move differently based on which limbs are missing, and you can use telekinesis to throw their limbs back at them. It means combat goes from “find target, aim for head/centre mass” to identifying different enemy types and prioritising different limbs based on the situation. It’s something Dead Space 2 does a lot better with though to be fair, the combat in the original is mostly “take out their arms/tentacles/literal shoulder blades”.

Dead Space was outstanding for being a third person action horror with fully diagetic UI and navigation and more interesting combat than the average shooter, let alone action horror a la Resident Evil 4. It was also surprisingly well written, though while the character writing is generally good, the environmental storytelling lacks any subtlety whatsoever. If you’ve played Resident Evil Village, it’s the same writer.

Anyone who has never given Dead Space a try absolutely should. It’s as much a horror game as Resident Evil post fixed camera - not much of one.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Going from the standard "headshot" experience like in FPS and Gears of War it was a blast when it first launched.

I played the game 2x, and the second one was the plasma cutter only because none of the other weapons were as fun as blasting off legs and arms from crazed monsters.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Broken Cog posted:

I haven't played the latest DD, or the original after they made the changes that had people up in arms, but OMD is probably what I'd consider a much more streamlined experience.

You have specific weapons and traps (that you can upgrade with meta currency) instead of having to find random gear, and the maps are much more compact and vertical than DD. OMD traps also involve a lot more physics shenanigans than what I can remember from DD, and you can make entire setups that rely on just throwing enemies around (which I remember was actually kinda viable to get high scores because of combos in OMD2).

Edit: I'd kinda say OMD is more like an action-TD game while DD is more of an RPG-TD game, if that makes any sense.

I am kind of tempted by Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark Orcs Must Die 3, as I really liked the first game, but I still got the second game unplayed in my library. Is it good enough that I should skip it or play 2 and see if I want more first?

minema
May 31, 2011
Any recs for 4 player coop games? We were playing Heroes Of The Storm but latest Blizz revelations have soured that somewhat. Tried Dota but far too long and involved.

We don't really enjoy FPS games or survival games which rules out a lot of options unfortunately. We've all played Divinity OS 2 several times before.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I wasn't kidding there's a "doodle" game at google today that's pretty cute. A little sports game with anime cutscenes.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I'd say Dead Space was the most 8/10 of 7/10 games.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Orcs must die 3: Played a little over half the main campaign with my brother and yeah, you know what you're getting from OMD 1 & 2, no reason not to play it if you like the series. the biggest addition is a few "war" levels which have extremely open spaces and far more orcs, except you have tons of money and can place special giant traps only for those levels.

otherwise game doesn't waste your time in any way, it's just no-nonsense new content with some really good new traps including bees. Some of the new traps make better use of space that you would normally ignore, like piercing disc launchers that can ricochet down the entire length of a hallway or a ceiling laser that doesn't care how high the ceiling is.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

minema posted:

Any recs for 4 player coop games? We were playing Heroes Of The Storm but latest Blizz revelations have soured that somewhat. Tried Dota but far too long and involved.

We don't really enjoy FPS games or survival games which rules out a lot of options unfortunately. We've all played Divinity OS 2 several times before.

Streets of Rogue is fun

https://store.steampowered.com/app/512900/Streets_of_Rogue/

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Mescal posted:

I wasn't kidding there's a "doodle" game at google today that's pretty cute. A little sports game with anime cutscenes.

Yeah it's much much bigger than I thought it would be! Should be up for the duration of the olympics, just hit the little play button above the search bar at google.com. Played a little last night but I'm gonna save the rest for when I'm on the clock 😈

Classy Devil
Nov 1, 2015
Appreciate all the recommendations! I grabbed a bunch of games to see what stuck, and so far Streets of Rage 4 was the biggest winner. I also stumbled across Full Metal Furies while I was poking through the store, and that was generally fun (although it pretty often turns into a nightmare to keep track of what's happening).

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Unlucky7 posted:

I am kind of tempted by Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark Orcs Must Die 3, as I really liked the first game, but I still got the second game unplayed in my library. Is it good enough that I should skip it or play 2 and see if I want more first?

Honestly, OMD2 is good enough that I'd suggest playing that first, since you already have it. There's a lot of overlapping weapons and tools between the two, and OMD3 feels closer to 2 than to 1, so if you like what you find in that, pick it up afterwards.

shoc77
Apr 21, 2015
I have been hearing a lot of good things about FF14, especially the good plot considering that it is a mmo and most mmo plotline are pretty forgettable.

The problem is I bought the Shadowbringers expansion on Steam a while back which prevents me from taking advantage of the free trial.

As a totally new player who can only play casually (5-10 hrs per week), should I just start off using a new free trial account outside Steam or just bite the bullet and start paying the monthly subscription fees on Steam,?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Unlucky7 posted:

Broken Cog posted:

Honestly, OMD2 is good enough that I'd suggest playing that first, since you already have it. There's a lot of overlapping weapons and tools between the two, and OMD3 feels closer to 2 than to 1, so if you like what you find in that, pick it up afterwards.

OMD2 is very much worth playing, but I can't imagine going back after playing 3. If you need more games to play you should play 2 first then 3, but if you are drowning in games you have no time to play you might as well just play 3 though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
just play 2 and then in a few years when you feel like playing omd again look into buying 3.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

shoc77 posted:

I have been hearing a lot of good things about FF14, especially the good plot considering that it is a mmo and most mmo plotline are pretty forgettable.

The problem is I bought the Shadowbringers expansion on Steam a while back which prevents me from taking advantage of the free trial.

As a totally new player who can only play casually (5-10 hrs per week), should I just start off using a new free trial account outside Steam or just bite the bullet and start paying the monthly subscription fees on Steam,?

Absolutely just start a new account outside of steam. The ARR-Heavensward part of the game is by far the longest so you'll save in fees, plus you get all the expansions when you buy the latest anyway so once you finish Heavensward you can just buy Endwalker. Since you'd have to buy Endwalker even if you used your steam account there's no real point worrying about the steam account. There are a couple of annoying restrictions with the free trial but none of them should bother you if you are just playing through the story (which if you can only play 5-10 hrs a week you're going to have to focus hard on just story).

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Anyone know if The Falconeer is worth a punt? It's on sale at the moment but I'm not sure if it's still overpriced.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

shoc77 posted:

After getting to the end of the trial you'll have to either buy shadowbringers again on your separate account or level through everything a second time on your Steam account in those 5-10 hours per week.

Or just stay at level 60 for a while then wait for the next expansion, Endwalker, which releases November 23 -- buy that and it'll come with all previous expansions for free.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Pipski posted:

Anyone know if The Falconeer is worth a punt? It's on sale at the moment but I'm not sure if it's still overpriced.

I couldn’t get past the opening level in the game because the controls were so bad. Whatever scheme you set it to feels wrong somehow. It’s on Gamepass if you want to try it there.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

I couldn’t get past the opening level in the game because the controls were so bad. Whatever scheme you set it to feels wrong somehow. It’s on Gamepass if you want to try it there.

Thanks. I'll give it a swerve.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Having fun in OMD3 with the tried and true 'floor springs everywhere' tactic. Launching those dudes off the map never gets old and is surprisingly effective.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
is there something i'm missing, or does omd3 not explain any of the status effects?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Man, the later stages of OMD3 doesn't mess around, I think I've failed the final stage of the first campaign 4 times now. And I'm only on the second difficulty.

Might be a bit more manageable with 2 players.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's really annoying how much better these zombies in Stalker are at headshots than me, X16 is kicking my rear end lol. I got some artifacts to let me sprint on past though

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I don't know where to ask this, but I'm trying to use Nvidia Gamestream to play Death's Door (Steam) on my nvidia Shield. It doesn't show up as Gamestream ready so I added it manually, but then there's no audio. Other actual Gamestream ready games have audio.

Alternatively, I see it on GeforceNow which says you just need to own it on Steam, but that streams from the internet right? You also need a membership I guess, which I thought maybe I had a free one for getting a 3080? That's probably wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

KingKapalone posted:

I don't know where to ask this, but I'm trying to use Nvidia Gamestream to play Death's Door (Steam) on my nvidia Shield. It doesn't show up as Gamestream ready so I added it manually, but then there's no audio. Other actual Gamestream ready games have audio.

Alternatively, I see it on GeforceNow which says you just need to own it on Steam, but that streams from the internet right? You also need a membership I guess, which I thought maybe I had a free one for getting a 3080? That's probably wrong.

Did you get a 3080fe? That comes with a year of GFN. You could use the free tier of GFN to play it you just have to set your account up but don’t need a credit card or anything.