Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Who needs boots?

Why walk when you can ride?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

Caesar Saladin posted:

weapon durability is one of the only things BoTW did right

Weapon degradation was good in System Shock 2 in the sense that it was another method to add to the tension and, at times, sense of frantic desperation (low/no ammo, health, etc). It'd be more obnoxious if the game didn't give you ways to address it with either a skill tree catering to handling that sort of thing, or more immidiete solutions like repair tools if you didn't have a high enough Repair skill.

Thinking about it "realistically" would be profoundly frustrating, just "hmm yes I'm in a space station with significant technological advances present, yet all firearms I find and use crumble to dust after a few rounds". Hey just relax and just play the drat game

lol "hey just have a relaxing SS2 session where you can chill out"

Floodixor fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 23, 2021

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Actually I think some of my favorite "crafting" was in Dead Space 3 where it was just "hey sure you're an 'engineer' so you can just smash together whatever two objects you want and get some frankengun and go wild", it was like a child's concept of what engineering would allow someone to do/make

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

The Sonic the Hedgehog franchise is entirely a child's concept of the capabilities down to outright appearance of actual hedgehogs, please sign my change.org petition to get the devs to ACTUALLY RESEARCH the subject matter of their games for gods sake. Sick of the inaccuracies and falsehoods they plauge the modern gamer who's just trying to get some authenticity in their Gaming Experience.

What are some of the most "authentic" games, outside of like truck simulator 5000 and so on

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
i've went back and played a lot of videogames just for nostalgias sake and that often enough but even nostalgia can't carry sonic games -

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

JollyBoyJohn posted:

i've went back and played a lot of videogames just for nostalgias sake and that often enough but even nostalgia can't carry sonic games -

Counterpoint: Sonic is good and IMO it's better to have a smaller number of hard levels you master over time as you get used to their layout and quirks, rather than a huge number of levels that all play the same and you just push right to get through. You might say that the challenge and mastery of the sonic games is an early precursor to soulslikes.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
i think it might be ripe replay time for sonic tbh, they are covering sonic 2 on the Watch out for Fireballs podcast next month and if nothing else it would be fun to cheat into being super sonic and zoom right through the game

still never replaying sonic 3d though, that game was utter garbage

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
Oh yeah that's the part about sonic that sucks that i keep forgetting: special stages totally suck in sonic 1 and 2 and it's way too hard to get all the emeralds without save states

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

sonic 2 was dope because you could get a chaos emerald then reset the console and it'd somehow have magically saved all your emeralds.

like saved in the RAM or something??

really blew my mind as a kid when i accidently bumbled on that one

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Final fantasy 14 is both a bad mmo and a bad final fantasy

now say this but expand it to three paragraphs without increasing the amount of information it contains, and add a lot of turns of phrase english speakers haven't used for 200 years

god i hate ff14's localization

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

appropriatemetaphor posted:

sonic 2 was dope because you could get a chaos emerald then reset the console and it'd somehow have magically saved all your emeralds.

like saved in the RAM or something??

really blew my mind as a kid when i accidently bumbled on that one

I think the reset button didn't actually restart the console but did something i'm not technically proficient enough to describe because there was that one X-men game where you had to reset the console when the "simulation room" started malfunctioning or something

drat man now i just want to drink vodka and play old mega drive games

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Fur20 posted:

now say this but expand it to three paragraphs without increasing the amount of information it contains, and add a lot of british "u"s

god i hate ff14's localization

my dude, i only spent 15 minutes in the game, I don't think I could write up three sentences never mind three paragraphs

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

my dude, i only spent 15 minutes in the game, I don't think I could write up three sentences never mind three paragraphs

well that's for the best, im making a joke about how ff14's english script is incomparably dense. the word count is probably higher than that brony fallout crossover fanfic. but in terms of actual meaning it never conveys any ideas more complicated than what could be expressed in two sentences

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
the worst thing about modern entertainment - not specifically videogames but largely - is that everyone wants to create content now, no one just wants to watch it

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I think the reset button didn't actually restart the console but did something i'm not technically proficient enough to describe because there was that one X-men game where you had to reset the console when the "simulation room" started malfunctioning or something

It takes a couple seconds for the ram to clear and the console reboots faster than that.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

JollyBoyJohn posted:

This also made it unbeatable on the Nomad, which did not have a reset button.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

"This game is UNBEATABLE!" -box

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Lodin posted:

Cat and lizard people suck since they can't wear boots!

Morrowind racism is extremely complicated okay

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Doctor J Off posted:

Counterpoint: Sonic is good and IMO it's better to have a smaller number of hard levels you master over time as you get used to their layout and quirks, rather than a huge number of levels that all play the same and you just push right to get through. You might say that the challenge and mastery of the sonic games is an early precursor to soulslikes.

I agree that the only good thing about Sonic was that it wasn't longer

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

QuarkJets posted:

lol

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Morrowind is my favorite game of all time and if you wanna get into it it's really not too hard to mod it to look decent enough within an hour.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I've had it up to here with modding games. Play the game how it was intended; the sense of entitlement is pretty sickening.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mods? Absolutely not. Dishonorable if you ask me. Unacceptable.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i love the phrase "it's good with mods though"

like nah dude, its a bad game that is bearable with mods e.g skyrim

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Caesar Saladin posted:

i love the phrase "it's good with mods though"

like nah dude, its a bad game that is bearable with mods e.g skyrim

I don't ever hear that phrase about Skyrim. More like Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

When I played them on PS3, everyone I talked to lol'ed at me. For being such a Holy Grail, New Vegas' fans didn't have much faith in playing it without mods.

But ya know, I kind of agree with your main point. Although I'm not sure how much of VTM Bloodlines is just plain unplayable and how much is unplayable due to technological advancement. Like, you need stuff to even run it on modern PCs, but I assume that wasn't the case in 2005 or whatever.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
it's not bad it's just old and looks like poo poo

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't ever hear that phrase about Skyrim. More like Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

When I played them on PS3, everyone I talked to lol'ed at me. For being such a Holy Grail, New Vegas' fans didn't have much faith in playing it without mods.

You are from an alternate universe.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
the only mod i needed in fallout new vegas was the one that let me put final fantasy music on the radio. i played a fair amount of it but i got sucked into the optimization sinkhole and never finished it, i should try it again someday.

and then fallout frontier ver 1.00 with everythiiiiing :unsmigghh:

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I enjoyed my 310 hours spent in completely unmodded Skyrim.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Skyrim was wayyyy more fun than New Vegas

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Fur20 posted:

well that's for the best, im making a joke about how ff14's english script is incomparably dense. the word count is probably higher than that brony fallout crossover fanfic. but in terms of actual meaning it never conveys any ideas more complicated than what could be expressed in two sentences

Reminds me of for all Kingdom Hearts gets touted as having an impenetrable and overcomplicated plot, all of the actual dialogue and presentation is like a children's cartoon, and I mean one for actual children, not the good ones. Mostly strikes me when they realise for all the talk about friendship they forget to show characters actually doing anything together besides fight the bad guys, so they have hastily thrown in scenes of characters eating (or rather, holding) popsicles.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
Pray return to the Waking Sands posthaste Warrior of Light. We must needs enjoy frozen, fruity deliciousness together.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

skyrium sucks so bad, i don't know how anybody plays that boring ugly rear end game. buncha fus roh dahmbasses

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

Sonic 1, 2 and CD all have issues but 3&K and Mania are extremely good and it's too easy to just start playing and not stop until I hit the credits.

I get if people hate Sonic because the series absolutely earned its awful reputation, but almost none of the things people hate about the series are in those games.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I had literally never ever heard of the Sega Nomad until this post but lol

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Morrowind is my favorite game of all time and if you wanna get into it it's really not too hard to mod it to look decent enough within an hour.

i bet its way easier to a) play it unmodded and b) not play it at all because some things are best left to memory

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I'm not going to tell people how to play games (I happily would but you wouldn't listen) but I just do not get the point in modding a videogame

I'm guessing people do it because they are in a situation of having a lot of free time and no money and so it becomes this desperate min/max attempt to squeeze as much time out of one game as possible?

Skyrim seems to be the most quoted example, I think I put about 60 hours into Skyrim and got more than what I needed from it. Why would anyone want to just layer more and more bullshit into it? There are other, often better games to play...

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

modding is mostly for making npcs into anime big titty furry sex minigames

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I modded Resident Evil Village to have a wider field of view and a bit faster walkspeed. I modded RE2Make with different costumes.

You can mod extra music into your game, you can mod out stuff that annoys you. If you hate weapon durability in BOTW you could just mod it out.

Also modding morrowind to have better draw distance and some UI tweaks is a no brainer.

Mods are great

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Caesar Saladin posted:

modding is mostly for making npcs into anime big titty furry sex minigames

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I'm not going to tell people how to play games (I happily would but you wouldn't listen) but I just do not get the point in modding a videogame

I'm guessing people do it because they are in a situation of having a lot of free time and no money and so it becomes this desperate min/max attempt to squeeze as much time out of one game as possible?

Skyrim seems to be the most quoted example, I think I put about 60 hours into Skyrim and got more than what I needed from it. Why would anyone want to just layer more and more bullshit into it? There are other, often better games to play...

To get different experiences.

Frostfall for e.g. turns it into a different game, where mountains are genuinely inimical and running through a stream can kill you.

The various graphics mods just make it look better, and if you can push a button and make a game look better, why not do it? Modding is often just a few mouse clicks.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jul 24, 2021