Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
idk. if i could set it up so that it ran on my tv like a console and wasn’t total jank then maybe. i just really like the convenient ~*console experience*~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

President Beep posted:

idk. if i could set it up so that it ran on my tv like a console and wasn’t total jank then maybe. i just really like the convenient ~*console experience*~

my 2017 mbp can emulate most games fine, and dolphin's interface is pretty simple. once you get a controller configured you just launch it and pick a game

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

bump_fn posted:

my 2017 mbp can emulate most games fine, and dolphin's interface is pretty simple. once you get a controller configured you just launch it and pick a game

found this too. most…intriguing…

https://www.pcgamer.com/i-built-a-tiny-pc-for-playing-classic-console-games-and-you-can-too/

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I did this a while back and I enjoyed it. I got a little powered USB hub so I could just plug in controllers as I wanted.

I ended up breaking my PI trying to update something and instead of fixing it, I just reformatted and use it solely for pihole now.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

jonny bought the pi keyboard and does emulator stuff with it just fine so you got all sorts of options

lol

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
the steam deck may be my version of my late dad's fascination with the 3do

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i put a bunch of emulators on my vita and frankly it's jank trash, even when i turn the screen on

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I'm a retro nerd I even used to have an arcade cabinet

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I had to get rid of all my old retro computers too I'm so sad about that

I have an action 52 cart still though

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I had to stop reading the retro threads because it made me too sad I had to give up all my poo poo

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

after praying on bump’s endorsement of emulating i realized I already had the necessary bits, including a usb controller, so i hooked my laptop up to my tv and installed dolphin. went well until i tried to load a wii ROM. black screen, dolphin froze.

this is the jank I wanted to avoid but I’m so close now that it’s worth posting through figuring out.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I'm a retro nerd I even used to have an arcade cabinet

I bought a stick a while back and i've so much use out of it. I mostly play stuff like metal slug and sunset riders but every now and then i'll get a craving for samurai shodown.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I bought a stick a while back and i've so much use out of it. I mostly play stuff like metal slug and sunset riders but every now and then i'll get a craving for samurai shodown.

I have an x-arcade lol, I'm very serious about it

it's big, I've been thinking of putting some sort of pi emulator inside it

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

President Beep posted:

after praying on bump’s endorsement of emulating i realized I already had the necessary bits, including a usb controller, so i hooked my laptop up to my tv and installed dolphin. went well until i tried to load a wii ROM. black screen, dolphin froze.

this is the jank I wanted to avoid but I’m so close now that it’s worth posting through figuring out.
if anyone ever doubted that you were hbag’s dad…

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

jesus WEP posted:

if anyone ever doubted that you were hbag’s dad…

lol

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

it’s bumps fault. he’s like the serpent in the garden.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

eating the forbidden fruit from the tree of beyond good and evil

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

jesus WEP posted:

lol

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Beep you tried retroarch? It makes the experience less poo poo, sort of, I guess not really at all, ok have a good one bud.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
beep I will set it up for you, but I will also show up drunk and stoned and eat all your fritos

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i’m now downloading some nkit partition thingy. i see the light at the end of the tunnel!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

President Beep posted:

I'd recommend turning on your TV. :smug:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

c snowrunner s

"eyy, got the trailer out of the quarry without tipping it. feels good man :smug:"

5 minutes pass

"well at least i brought the crane i guess :sigh:"

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 25, 2021

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

jesus WEP posted:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Raspberry Pi is a cheap and widely-available thing that can output composite video in this day and age which is pretty amazing

I never got around to setting up Retroarch's video modes properly though. You know how the Pi outputs a 480i NTSC signal and the SNES outputs at 461 lines or some poo poo like that and Retroarch vertically scales everything 1.0875x so that it will fit? Wouldn't it be rad if Retroarch just like, well, didn't do that? and just did a slight letterbox instead?

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

when you play half life 1 again

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

if you haven't played it yet, black mesa is incredibly good

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
beep idk what you even did did you try a gamecube iso? wii emulation is wonky cause you gotta fake wiimote inputs but gamecube should be seamless

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sagebrush posted:

it was good enough that I couldn't remember if they fixed jank or if hl1 was really that smooth for followers and I didn't care enough to check because i didn't want to stop playing

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

bump_fn posted:

beep idk what you even did did you try a gamecube iso? wii emulation is wonky cause you gotta fake wiimote inputs but gamecube should be seamless

i got the game to work but dolphin refuses to even acknowledge my Bluetooth controller. keyboard/mouse inputs are good but no dice on the controller. confirmed it was working via test website. idk. will try later. maybe I’ll get one that connects via usb dongle. who knows!!!

e: ooh! i just remembered that i have a Bluetooth receiver kicking around. might try that instead of my piss garbage computer’s bt.

President Beep fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 25, 2021

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

I was playing through half life 2 again and it's really good, it really holds up

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

you should seriously get black mesa then. it's half-life 2 quality. honestly even better in some ways.

also i'm playing through wolfenstein new order again and it always gives me hl2 vibes. good game. fun to explode nazis with laser cannons.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

by my calculations two half lifes are a whole life.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

President Beep posted:

by my calculations two half lifes are a whole life.

three quarters

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

MrQueasy posted:

three quarters

i knew some chucklefuck was gonna sachet in here and say that.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
half life 2 is like a puzzle shooter, every gun has it's use and once you figure it out it's full gordon freeman lol

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

SmokaDustbowl posted:

half life 2 is like a puzzle shooter, every gun has it's use and once you figure it out it's full gordon freeman lol

gordon freeman used to spend all day imagining murdering his coworkers with his crowbar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Improbable Lobster posted:

gordon freeman used to spend all day imagining murdering his coworkers with his crowbar

lol yeah it's gordon freemen