Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
current problems with each team in my opinion:

atlantic division:
boston bruins: we keep signing too many good players
buffalo sabres: we're a trash fire but we're getting marginally better, hopefully. still have a star player to send elsewhere who we've definitely burnt bridges with
detroit red wings: we're bad but getting better, yzerman is fleecing other GMs like usual
florida panthers: bobrovsky's contract is an anvil around our ankles. also our coach covered up sexual assault.
montreal canadians: our team is basically dead of old age, our GM covered up rapes, and we just picked a sexual harasser in the draft
ottawa senators: eugene melnyk
tampa bay lightning: we don't know if we can run it back for a third consecutive cup with this cap crunch
toronto maple leafs: as a leafs fan, the giant money train continues and it continues to land in completely the wrong places. goodbye to zach hyman.

metropolitan division:
carolina hurricanes: we swear we're not the panthers
columbus blue jackets: no one wants to play here and it sucks because cbj is cool
new jersey devils: is there such a thing as too many hughes on one squad?
new york islanders: idk, get some more scoring or something. pretty drat good.
new york rangers: young and probably gonna be right back in the later rounds of the playoffs this year.
philadelphia flyers: chuck fletcher sucks at trades and the gritty goodwill is running out
pittsburgh penguins: we are old and that window is real close to shut now.
washington capitals: just keep running until ovechkin gets that goals record.

central division:
arizona coyotes: we cleared up a bunch of cap space and have hopefully moved past our horrible loving draft problems. this year will suck but things will get better next year very likely.
chicago blackhawks: MAJOR COVERUP OF SEXUAL ASSAULT. loving TRASH.
colorado avalanche: resign your captain, come the gently caress on.
dallas stars: ??? you just resigned some good young d or something I think, needs some tinkering but seems alright.
minnesota wild: just bought out a bunch of longtime players. not sure what else is up.
nashville predators: can you put it together without rinne? does david poile still have 32,000 aces up his sleeve?
st. louis blues: you got a cup and then armstrong basically blew up the team. I wouldn't have much hope.
winnipeg jets: as a winnipeg native, I'm sorry.

pacific division:
anaheim ducks: youth movement. keep uh the bald canadian guy around hope he can hang on while you get back to cup contending.
calgary flames: you lost your captain for nothing! everything else isn't good!
edmonton oilers: ah yes, duncan keith. an excellent complementary piece for another season wasted of McDavid and Draisaitl's prime.
la kings: i genuinely do not know what this team is doing. I see them flipping okay pieces elsewhere and they're making high draft picks but they're also still sitting on megacontracts to Quick, Doughty, and so on.
san jose sharks: good news, you no longer have any old guys without a cup so there's not really any reason to be concerned about how much you suck. OH GOD WHY ARE YOU SIGNING MARLEAU AGAIN.
seattle kraken: you hosed up your expansion draft real bad. unless you have some absolutely wizard ideas about what to do with all that cap space, your AHL team is gonna wither on the vine.
vancouver canucks: the OEL for a bunch of other pieces trade is bad. you're still stuck in cap hell with old players you don't want and are gonna miss resigning more players you actually want.
vegas golden knights: these guys don't give good payouts on bets because they usually win. idk, what else can you say about "yeah they're loving killing it"

gently caress THE BLACKHAWKS FOR COVERING UP SEX CRIMES IN THEIR ORGANIZATION.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Kraken should have named themselves something far more tame and innocent to fit their drafting style. Like the Seattle Krill or maybe Seatle Seaweed. Not otters because otters are cute and cool.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bergevin should be fired, this is all concerning, it's like no one's learning

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Bowman got really nervous after offloading Keith, so he decided to quickly sign another defenseman to an albatross contract. :thumbsup:

At least the Dach bros being on the same team is cool. :3:

CDX
Dec 3, 2004

Cheap, but not as cheap as your girlfriend.

Aphrodite posted:

Bergevin should be fired, this is all concerning, it's like no one's learning

Bergevin, Timmins and anyone else who had anything to do with the pick. If Geoff Molson approved it he needs to resign.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Bowman got really nervous after offloading Keith, so he decided to quickly sign another defenseman to an albatross contract. :thumbsup:

At least the Dach bros being on the same team is cool. :3:

Hughes Bros
Dach Bros
Makar Bros

Nice little draft for bros.

Speaking of the draft, even though Ottawa drafted players like 40-100 spots ahead of where the consensus had them, at least they didn’t draft Logan loving Mailloux. Small victories

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

LumpyGumby posted:

Friendly reminder that we have a d core of Sam Girard, Cale Makar, and Devon Toews for the next three years, as well as Erik Johnson and Bo Byrum for the next two.

Friendly reminder that it's Byram not Byrum.

Also, the good one is M. Rielly, not Reilly. And someone is going to sign him to a tremendously bad contract next summer.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Dach is still on Chicago, Boqvist was traded.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

xzzy posted:

Kraken should have named themselves something far more tame and innocent to fit their drafting style. Like the Seattle Krill or maybe Seatle Seaweed. Not otters because otters are cute and cool.

river otters are apex predators

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

if benning uses this opportunity to move quinn to jersey for ty smith and someone like maltsev or foote plus some picks or a depth player like butcher or boqvist i'll take back everything bad i ever said about him. that would create room for oel to actually be a positive contributor for the canucks and let them keep schmidt (moving him back to his preferred side). they'd have the money to resign hamonic and maybe even another useful veteran dman too

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

the talent deficit posted:

river otters are apex predators

Also rape monsters

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

if benning uses this opportunity to move quinn to jersey for ty smith and someone like maltsev or foote plus some picks or a depth player like butcher or boqvist i'll take back everything bad i ever said about him. that would create room for oel to actually be a positive contributor for the canucks and let them keep schmidt (moving him back to his preferred side). they'd have the money to resign hamonic and maybe even another useful veteran dman too

drat, Hughes and Pettersson I always felt were untouchables for Vancouver. Trading him for Ty Smith+ makes them worse off

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The Dirty Burger posted:

drat, Hughes and Pettersson I always felt were untouchables for Vancouver. Trading him for Ty Smith+ makes them worse off

Yeah if they do that they'll miss the playoffs by 10 points every year instead of 7.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

The Dirty Burger posted:

yeah it'll be tough to get roster value for hughes in a trade but his salary can go to filling out the roster and oel and hughes are both no defense players who need to get power play/ozone opportunities to produce. it's going to be hard to get value from oel with hughes ahead of him. trading hughes only makes sense when you consider the canucks are going to be right up against the cap with no depth and key holes on defense and at center and that they have oel's most useful skills potentially going to waste

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Get your fingers of that Hughes. He's ours.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Wait. Are Vancouver fans brains broken to the point of saying Vancouver should trade Quinn Hughes ?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
FIRE BENNING

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Wait. Are Vancouver fans brains broken to the point of saying Vancouver should trade Quinn Hughes ?

i'm not saying it's a good plan or even one likely to work but if vancouver is all in to win (and they are) then they need to move someone

they've got like two years to win a cup with this core. next year boeser's deal is up and the year after that miller, horvat and hoglander's deals are up. they've got nothing coming in terms of prospects past podkolzin and maybe aidan mcdonough and will lockwood -- all wingers. their cap situation is only going to get worse going forward. they will have to cut loose someone

even assuming they move schmidt and holtby they need to find the money or assets to sign hughes, petterson, garland and dickinson and add a couple 4th liners, a backup goalie and at least three defensemen (four if they move schmidt). they can probably manage it this season but considering half the league are looking for a right side dman for their second pairing they are in tough to address their defense. if they go into the season with myers, hamonic and chatfield or some reclamation project as their rd depth they will get destroyed. they could keep schmidt instead of hamonic (or maybe in addition to hamonic if he signs a really cheap deal) but schmidt already suffered from hughes taking opportunity away from him and blocking him from playing his preferred side. it's gonna be even worse with oel in the lineup for him

so vancouver need to both clear cap and acquire assets to move for pieces that can help them in the next two seasons. their only position of strength is ld with hughes, oel, schmidt and rathbone. oel is unmoveable and schmidt has a bad contract that isn't going to move except for another bad contract unless the canucks give him away for nearly free or include additional assets. hughes is the only piece they have with value that they also (kind of) have a replacement for already on the roster

the alternative is moving boeser or garland (or miller) but that just leaves them needing to find another top six contributor

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

As an outsider I feel like Vancouvers core should be petterson, Hughes, boeser and maybe Horvat? And everything else that interferes with keeping that together should be rocketed to the sun even if it doesn't get you fair value in trades back

Benning has made some incredibly bad deals to gently caress their cap but I don't think dumping their most, or maybe second most, valuable asset is the play to fix that

Surely there is another GM out there that is only slightly less dumb than Benning who would take someone like oel off of their hands instead

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

i'm not saying it's a good plan or even one likely to work but if vancouver is all in to win (and they are) then they need to move someone

they've got like two years to win a cup with this core. next year boeser's deal is up and the year after that miller, horvat and hoglander's deals are up. they've got nothing coming in terms of prospects past podkolzin and maybe aidan mcdonough and will lockwood -- all wingers. their cap situation is only going to get worse going forward. they will have to cut loose someone

Every team has contracts expiring every year, and in most cases they get a raise. If Podz and Hoglander both deserve 4 mil contracts in a few years then yeah someone will have to go, but it also means you have two guys who are good enough to earn that, which means if someone like Miller had to go then that’s not closing the cap window.

Vancouver’s lack of future ELC players is concerning, but it’s also not empty. Hoglander looked like a maybe to make the NHL and he made the jump easily. Theres also College signings or going after some reclamation players (at 1mil so you can bury them if they don’t work). Young guys on ELC isn’t the only avenue to pad out a roster (it’s the best one, but not the only one).

I’m not saying I think Benning won’t gently caress it up, but I don’t think it’s a unsolveable problem and saying their window is only 2 years is a massive reach.

The only reason to trade Hughes is if Jersey really want to have the three and come with a offer you couldn’t turn down.

Edit: also for the first time in a long time the Canucks actually have a bottom six that isn’t a dumpster fire. All they really need is a 4c.
Hoglander-Dickeson-Podz
Motte-4C-Highmore

To be honest I think it all comes down to OEL if the Canucks scouting have identified something to fix or change that can make him bounce back the teams in a good (but finely balanced) spot, if he’s going to be the next Loui then it’s going to be really ugly.

VOTE1 fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jul 25, 2021

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I guess there's a small chance the OEL trade wont be terrible, but it's a huge gamble.
It does get rid of some trash for this season, but the long term cost is very high.

The much better option was to suck it up for another year, the trash would expire, Luongo's recapture would go away and they might even get a decent draft.
Instead Benning has swung for the playoffs for this season and even that is by no means any guarantee.
18 million to sigh Pettersson, Hughes and Garland + 1-2 more and some bottom 6 fillers.
(And why haven't they bought out Virtanen yet?)

heehee
Sep 5, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 17 minutes!

even assuming they move schmidt and holtby they need to find the money or assets to sign hughes, petterson, garland and dickinson and add a couple 4th liners, a backup goalie and at least three defensemen (four if they move schmidt). they can probably manage it this season but considering half the league are looking for a right side dman for their second pairing they are in tough to address their defense. if they go into the season with myers, hamonic and chatfield or some reclamation project as their rd depth they will get destroyed. they could keep schmidt instead of hamonic (or maybe in addition to hamonic if he signs a really cheap deal) but schmidt already suffered from hughes taking opportunity away from him and blocking him from playing his preferred side. it's gonna be even worse with oel in the lineup for him

so vancouver need to both clear cap and acquire assets to move for pieces that can help them in the next two seasons. their only position of strength is ld with hughes, oel, schmidt and rathbone. oel is unmoveable and schmidt has a bad contract that isn't going to move except for another bad contract unless the canucks give him away for nearly free or include additional assets. hughes is the only piece they have with value that they also (kind of) have a replacement for already on the roster

the alternative is moving boeser or garland (or miller) but that just leaves them needing to find another top six contributor

your a fuckin idiiot dude. theyre not trading hughes

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
I'm excited for the OEL-Meyers experience. Trading Hughes would also be galaxy brained. Please be honest... you're repackaging HF Boards stuff right.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

ImplicitAssembler posted:

(And why haven't they bought out Virtanen yet?)
Probably checking in to see if Montreal want him.

I think there were three options for the Canucks

Plan A: Do as you said, suck it up for one more year, move forward after. Would be my choice but that probably costs Benning his job so that’s out when he’s calling the shots.

Plan B: The OEL/garland mega trade shortcut back to playoff contention.

Plan C: Clear space through buyouts, cap dumps and go big game hunting in Free Agency.

If the choice is between B and C id take plan B over letting Jim loose in FA..

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The canucks should definitely trade Hughes and probably Petterson as well

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/28cgiroux/status/1419106691845664770?s=21

Jake hasn’t even been gone 24 hours and G immediately took up the mantle of making GBS threads on one of the worst flyers beat writers

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Didn't someone say the Flyers locker room was pretty old timers vs everyone else? Maybe it's just the old timers are dicks.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I'm excited for the OEL-Meyers experience. Trading Hughes would also be galaxy brained. Please be honest... you're repackaging HF Boards stuff right.

I think the "they've got two years to win a Cup with this core" at the beginning was supposed to be the tip-off that the whole post is a troll

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Didn't someone say the Flyers locker room was pretty old timers vs everyone else? Maybe it's just the old timers are dicks.

That's every locker room in every sport

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
WIth Frolunda becoming the wings minor league team basically i keep thinking it'd be neat to buy a jersey but then i remember its racist as hell and get bummed

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

They haven't bought out Virtanen because they've allowed his agent to find any sort of trade if he can. It saves them $500k in cap space next year if they don't have to buy him out. If that doesn't work (and it's unlikely to) they'll buy him out before the deadline on the 27th.

e: lol literally a minute after I posted

https://twitter.com/Canucks/status/1419326338918346752?s=20

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I guess there's a small chance the OEL trade wont be terrible, but it's a huge gamble.
It does get rid of some trash for this season, but the long term cost is very high.

The response that bothers me the most is "the 9th overall won't even be able to help us in the next few years!" What about the team in the past 3 years indicates we're at a point where we will require zero cheap depth over the next 36 months? The Canucks have terrible depth issues and a ton of expensive contracts on the books. The thing we need more than anything is a reliable infusion of cheap players that can outperform their contracts. If we were the Leafs and had been a good young team that flamed out a few seasons in a row this move would be more defensible, but we're not. The Canucks barely made the playoffs one time in Pettersson/Hughes era. A single series win over St. Louis shouldn't be justification for throwing all caution to the wind.

On top of it all, it's once again another abrupt and erratic change of direction for no reason. The team simply can't decide to build for the future or go for it and seemingly change their minds week by week. They moved a potential lottery pick for Miller, that's a win now all in move. They made a big splash at the deadline moving a top prospect and a 2nd rounder for Toffoli. Then three months later they let Toffoli, Markstrom and Tanev all walk as free agents because the team wasn't ready to commit to going for it. Now, 9 months later after perhaps the most disastrous season in team history, they're hammering the gas pedal again and are right back all in. Where's the consistency? Look at the team's moves over the last 3-4 years and tell me what direction they're trying to go, I can't find a single iota of rhyme or reason to them. Like the insistence on finding a 3C above all else this summer, the team is myopically focused on solving the problems they are specifically encountering in this moment rather than addressing any long term concerns. How many times have they told us they're looking for size on the wing and a top four defender? Because they can't seem to rationalize the idea that they need to improve everywhere and that if they'd just focus on improving those imagined issues would vanish.

As for OEL himself, watch any highlight package of Coyotes games from the last year and pretend you know nothing about him as a player. He is cast as and plays like a bottom pairing physical defender. He's actually eerily similar to Luca Sbisa in his inability to pivot and his tendency to get caught flat footed and out of position in the defensive end. If I didn't know he was paid like a top quality #1, I'd assume he was an AHL depth guy forced into a role well above his level of competence. If nothing else, I guess I don't trust the guy who said that Tyler Myers, Luca Sbisa, Erik Gudbranson, Derick Pouliot, Michael Del Zotto, Philip Larsen and Adam Clendening were all top-4 defencemen to suddenly be right in this instance. He's gone and acquired 2-3 defencemen a season since he took over the team in 2014 and currently 0 are objectively a consistent and reliable top-4 guy. I'd wager OEL isn't any different.

tl;dr: it was bad

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 25, 2021

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/1419330713007140865

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/TomUrtzJr/status/1419339974420357123

StL, please take care of my sweet unhappy boy and enjoy him because he rules. :smith:

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Last time Rangers fans asked another team to take care of their boy he scored a goal, an assist, and broke his arm. The Zuccarello hat trick.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
The Buchnevich trade is making up for a long history of James Dolan making the blues worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q330AOycYk

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Levitate posted:

Also rape monsters
Yes, otters are terrible: https://www.vox.com/2014/4/24/5640890/otters-rape-baby-seals-monsters-bad

I mean, as it turns out the Blackhawks need to change their name to something less offensive and this would maybe be appropriate.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I would very much appreciate it if the Blackhawks fired their entire front office and everyone that knew and stayed silent.

It wont make up for all the awful poo poo they have done (and continue to do, seriously :wtf:), but maybe one tiny step towards doing the right thing is exactly what is required.

Also change the team name.

I dont know if I will even follow hockey this fall. Chicago and Montreal are the two teams I watched the most and, well...

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The Blackhawks need to change their name to something less offensive but maintain the cadence, like Black Hockey Team.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/OhRyanMead/status/1419336058299367425

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

The subtext here is Buffalo wants Kakko and Drury for all his dumb poo poo so far told them to gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
The Rangers have a Lundkvist right after getting rid of Lundqvist? What the hell.