Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Well Played Mauer posted:

Totally aside, but how do you pull over apps that aren’t safari from slide over? What you described sounds great.

Discord is a great example.

I swipe up, discord is a recent app (so I had to have used it recently), and I drag and toss the discord app the right (I’m righty, I think it works on the left side too). It floats above the app I’m actually using. I can swipe it to the right to close it, and swipe from the right to re bring it over. You can have multiple apps like this that you can also swipe through.

Here’s an example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I'd say 11" too. From looking at pics, the keyboard appears full size for all the letters at least, it's the edge keys after that that get cramped a bit, so depends how much you'll be using brackets and such I guess.

I use multitasking on an iPad mini. Cramped but it works. Kinda depends on the apps and how they handle the screen size and content, and the particular use case at any moment. But yeah slide over is the main use here too, just cause there's a lot of quick/temporary use cases it's useful for.

To get apps into slide over, if that's what you mean, basically depends on the dock currently. So if something isn't in there you have to launch first (to get it into the recents side of the dock), then open whatever app normally. From there you can drag from the dock to the side of the screen.

iOS 15's little multitasking improvements should get around most of the stupid bits like this hopefully. The doc shelf (or whatever it's called) seems like a really minor thing but I imagine it'll make multi app windows more usable too. In general it seems like it just makes stuff more exposed and discoverable vs having to know or figuring poo poo out on your own.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I just want an actual tiling window manager on iPadOS.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

i have a 12.9” ipad that i wasn’t necessarily buying to replace my laptop, but i haven’t really touched it since i got the ipad. that said, if you’re not sure between the two and the screen alone isn’t enough to convince you i would go with the 11”. the 12.9 is honestly just on the verge of being too heavy, especially if you don’t plan to use it with the magic keyboard all the time. i’ve gotten used to it but it really is too heavy to hold in your hands all the time when you use it, so it’s almost always either leaning against my legs or on the magic keyboard

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

Roadie posted:

I just want an actual tiling window manager on iPadOS.

We got it with iOS 15!!

**just for notes.app tho

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

stirlo posted:

We got it with iOS 15!!

**just for notes.app tho
Don't forget centered floating compose panes!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
With the lack of a proper Overcast widget, are there any widgets that just have some media controls for whatever the currently active playback is on them? Having a little play/pause/rewind etc on the home screen all the time without needing to bring down the control centre would be great.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Question Mark Mound posted:

With the lack of a proper Overcast widget, are there any widgets that just have some media controls for whatever the currently active playback is on them? Having a little play/pause/rewind etc on the home screen all the time without needing to bring down the control centre would be great.
I'm not sure that's possible in the newer widget API, cause input wise they're basically glorified button launchers afaik. Like they could put buttons...but they'd launch the app then do the action. That's basically why some stuff like calculator and reminder widgets got neutered. I guess one really bad workaround would be shortcuts, if you're willing to waste at least 2x2 icon space for a single button.

And if you have media playing, it's also there on the lock screen, not just control center.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Music player Soor has a fun workaround where it has a widget with play/pause but it’ll launch the app then crash itself so it essentially functions as an interactive widget

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Apple were so close with having widgets be good. :(

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
It’s striking how bad they are compared to Android, and it’s been that way for years. Just copy the system.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

japtor posted:

I'm not sure that's possible in the newer widget API, cause input wise they're basically glorified button launchers afaik. Like they could put buttons...but they'd launch the app then do the action. That's basically why some stuff like calculator and reminder widgets got neutered. I guess one really bad workaround would be shortcuts, if you're willing to waste at least 2x2 icon space for a single button.

And if you have media playing, it's also there on the lock screen, not just control center.

Yeah the old Widget API (Today Extensions) is more or less an actual miniature app with real interactivity, but they were limited to that slide-over page to the left of the home screen. They also weren’t active until you actually went to that screen so you could easily catch them taking a few seconds to launch. It was deprecated in iOS14.

New widget API are not much more than glorified images. You layout the widget, what data should go where, and a “timeline” of data for the future (e.g. upcoming calendar appointments). It’s up to iOS to decide when to update your widgets, just like on the watch. (In my experience, the OS does a poor job of keeping the widgets updated. Weather app and calendar widgets are always several hours behind.) I think it’s technically possible through the API to update a widget at 30 fps, but that’s not something you can rely on and the OS can throttle you if it thinks your wasting battery.

I understand Apple is afraid that if Widgets were more powerful, the lovely widgets would be mining crypto in the background and just eating up battery life, but the new widget API feels like a real step backwards. The SoC is so powerful but heaven forbid you actually do anything with it.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I say let the widgets mine for coin, and mayb sometime down the line they can get together and unionize

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Question Mark Mound posted:

Apple were so close with having widgets be good. :(

lol have you ever seen the dashboard widgets in MacOS?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Pulcinella posted:

Yeah the old Widget API (Today Extensions) is more or less an actual miniature app with real interactivity, but they were limited to that slide-over page to the left of the home screen. They also weren’t active until you actually went to that screen so you could easily catch them taking a few seconds to launch. It was deprecated in iOS14.

New widget API are not much more than glorified images. You layout the widget, what data should go where, and a “timeline” of data for the future (e.g. upcoming calendar appointments). It’s up to iOS to decide when to update your widgets, just like on the watch. (In my experience, the OS does a poor job of keeping the widgets updated. Weather app and calendar widgets are always several hours behind.) I think it’s technically possible through the API to update a widget at 30 fps, but that’s not something you can rely on and the OS can throttle you if it thinks your wasting battery.

I understand Apple is afraid that if Widgets were more powerful, the lovely widgets would be mining crypto in the background and just eating up battery life, but the new widget API feels like a real step backwards. The SoC is so powerful but heaven forbid you actually do anything with it.
Yeah it's all presumably a battery thing, afaik they're based on watchOS complications aren't they? I have the same complaints about the limitations there :v:. Course obviously more understandable considering the input and battery limitations of the hardware.

Ok Comboomer posted:

We'd get some full on game streaming in widgets if it were still around.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

japtor posted:

Yeah it's all presumably a battery thing, afaik they're based on watchOS complications aren't they? I have the same complaints about the limitations there :v:. Course obviously more understandable considering the input and battery limitations of the hardware.

We'd get some full on game streaming in widgets if it were still around.

it's still around, you gotta enable it in Control Panel

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

it's still around, you gotta enable it in Control Panel
*with developer support cause I can't write anything

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there a way I can use my iPad or iPhone as a wireless touchpad for my MacBook Pro? I don't need anything fancy like screen doubling. I just wanna move the cursor around when my MacBook is on the table and I'm on my sofa or something to click some boxes here and there. Yes I know a wireless mouse would work but my iPhone/iPad is something I always have with me so that would be easier.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Duckman2008 posted:

I swipe up, discord is a recent app (so I had to have used it recently), and I drag and toss the discord app the right (I’m righty, I think it works on the left side too). It floats above the app I’m actually using. I can swipe it to the right to close it, and swipe from the right to re bring it over. You can have multiple apps like this that you can also swipe through.

I’m sure it’s been said before in this thread, but man the discoverability around some of this stuff is kinda poor. This sounds awesome and I can’t wait to try it out.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Ok Comboomer posted:

It annoys me that you swipe widgets in from opposite sides on iOS and MacOS. Not for any real reason it just does.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a way I can use my iPad or iPhone as a wireless touchpad for my MacBook Pro? I don't need anything fancy like screen doubling. I just wanna move the cursor around when my MacBook is on the table and I'm on my sofa or something to click some boxes here and there. Yes I know a wireless mouse would work but my iPhone/iPad is something I always have with me so that would be easier.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/touchpad/id297623931

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Duckman2008 posted:

This is awesome and I had no idea how to do it. Thanks so much!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Protocol7 posted:

I’m sure it’s been said before in this thread, but man the discoverability around some of this stuff is kinda poor. This sounds awesome and I can’t wait to try it out.

Yeah, for sure i mostly like the multitasking for slide over, but it is not intuitive. It took me forever to realize you can have multiple slide over windows, how to manage it, and it still is annoying to finagle.

That said, works well for what it is, especially for what I use it for, which is 100% reading the internet and messaging people.

The only app that never update to work with slide over is Google hangouts , and looks like Google solved that for me by killing their messaging service again.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

So the new public beta Safari is….somehow worse? Now instead of the floating address bars you get 2, 3, and so on slightly longer address bars/tab labels in a row under a static iOS 14 style address bar. I’m open to the idea this is all somehow Apple’s attempt to discourage tab use.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I figured out today I can use a keyboard and mouse on Steam Link!

The compression artifacts combined with this 10.9” iPad screen doesn’t make for a fantastic gaming experience, especially because my PC is still rendering at 16:9…

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Time to bring back the 4:3 ratio in game settings, come on devs! Need to run them on my retro monitors and iPads :)

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Ultrawide is getting all the attention, but what about Ultrasquare?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Any word on M1 app ports to the Pro? ;w;

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

hatty posted:

Ultrawide is getting all the attention, but what about Ultrasquare?
Maybe this is the beginning of the unwidening:

https://www.androidauthority.com/huawei-mateview-review-1232677/

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's kinda weird we went to 16:9 displays on computers. It's not really a huge benefit to have a little extra horizontal space for the majority of things computers are used for.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's kinda weird we went to 16:9 displays on computers. It's not really a huge benefit to have a little extra horizontal space for the majority of things computers are used for.

yeah sure if you only ever use one application that fills up the whole screen

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

inferis posted:

yeah sure if you only ever use one application that fills up the whole screen

You say this in the iPad thread of all places?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

4:3 is hell outside of tablets. It's science. No further questions.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The General posted:

4:3 is hell outside of tablets. It's science. No further questions.

21:9 for life! (honestly a 36" 1440p ultrawide is so much better than a multi-monitor set up to work on)

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Proteus Jones posted:

21:9 for life! (honestly a 36" 1440p ultrawide is so much better than a multi-monitor set up to work on)

I will only upgrade my 3440x1440 panel when 5K2K displays catch up in refresh rates.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Where's 6880x2880 :colbert:

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Are new models available in store? I tried to buy the new regular iPad and it was given a shipping date of like mid august. I cancelled and used that money for a steam deck instead. Guess I’ll still be rocking my Air 2 for the time being. Plus, I did get one of this years Kindle 10 plus for less than a hundred due my last year model kindle 8 pretty much dying a few days out of warranty. It’s pretty good one you use that firebox app (I think that the name of it) to remove all the Amazon bloat from it and get play store working.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Looks like Best Buy has them available both online and in-store, but yeah, none of my local Apple Stores seem to have any in stock at all.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
We got an iPad for our 3 year old last year and loaded it with educational preschool apps then locked it down with screentime. My kid has become pretty obsessed with animals and loves the Nat Geo Wild 101 animal videos. I don't want to put youtube on the tablet and open that can of worms, but would love to download these videos to a video player app that he can access. Is there any app that would be 3 year old friendly that can be used to play a downloaded video playlist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I would say if you downloaded and installed Plex on your PC you could organise all of his videos there, and from the iPad download them locally (or stream honestly)

Then you could add the videos to a playlist in Plex.
There's gotta be an easier way (even though this isn't difficult), though