Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Serpentis posted:

Admittedly my memory of VT1 is hazy but I think the deal with Stormdorf is that the U5/4 are a hair too late and only arrive after the deal has been struck between the Skaven and Rotbloods, from the skaven chieftains banter during the fight. Presumably the Skittergate then was under construction but wasn’t built in time for chaos to show up until Helmgart.

As for Kerillian, it’s more what she did as opposed to saw, I think - something about her killing a dark elf refugee who was sacrificing sprites to Hekarti (something of a no no to the wood elves even if the dark elves were tolerated guests at the time). Problem was a) said refugee was popular and had friends who escaped and b) Kerillian got cocky and bull-rushed in to solo the encounter. So when the dead refugees friends claim it was just a murder and there was nothing shady going on honest, Kerillian is not believed and exiled from the forests.

Yes I spent too much time reading VT lore, why do you ask.

So going back and reading more into it it seems like a bit of column A, bit of column B. Her main reason for being cast out is because she attacked the ritual to Hekarti, possibly without realizing that the truce between the Elves meant that the Druchii were given more leeway given the apocalypse was coming. She's exiled for that and possibly got used/cursed by the Dryads to be used to right an insult to Athel Loren, which is why she went to Ubersreik. If the Forest spirits (or even Lileath) were feeding her false dreams, she regardless attacked reinforcements heading for Ubersreik thinking they were going to attack Athel Loren. After she and Bardin met up and went to Ubersreik, she sort of got stuck in with the rest of the group for the time being. After the voice in Drachenfels (which might be Constant Drachenfels himself???) starts taunting her by telling her the soldiers she killed could have helped at Ubersreik, she now sticks with the Five or Four out of guilt, knowing that she's partially responsible for the city's destruction. Which is why she sticks with her friends rather than heed common sense like not traveling into the freaking Chaos Wastes.

So while she was first at Ubersreik because of her exile, she now sticks around because she knows it's kind of her fault and she does feel guilty.

And I guess I got things a little backwards, she went and became a Sister of the Thorn AFTER the Chaos Waste expeditions. I haven't finished Citadel of Eternity with the Elf yet, so I got it wrong.

As for Bardin, I'm thinking he's either from Karak Norn or Karak Kadrin, given that he's familiar with both Skaven and Chaos, and the Hellpit is close to both of those Dwarf Holds. Also makes his pilgrimage to Karak Zorn excuse even more outlandish since he's traveling almost from pole to pole on the planet.

Nanomashoes posted:

VT2 begins and things may be grim, but at least Sylvania is cage-

Come, potion, lend me vi
BY SIGMAR'S NAME I ABJURE THEE!

Good killing elf!
Oh this? You should have seen me at Hogger's bridge. Dozens, I claimed.
Hogger's bridge? Two full Nuln regiments disappeared at Hogger's bridge. Elf? ELF!

This is also true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

No. 6 posted:

Anyone play on PS? Would love to group and help you get loot.

I play on playstation! for sure add me! My psn: Waroduce

I've got a 32 or 33 Ironbreaker i typically main. I'm good on Vet but still trying to make the jump to champ. I am item level like 500 though i think.

I got my gaming group into it (about six of us) at one point but its quite died off with everyone going back to Warzone or Destiny :( Ive found the playstation community to be pretty dead both goo wise and in general :(

I've not owned a gaming pc since like...doom 3? but what with Darktide and Battlefield coming out I'm tempted to get one especially since I figure the console community will be lacking.

Eggplant Ronin
Apr 26, 2007

How you like my balls now?:smug:

No. 6 posted:

Anyone play on PS? Would love to group and help you get loot.

I just started playing this week. My psn is mohawk_mall. I'm new to Vermintide, but I do have years of Gauntlet experience.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
My PSN is DrRockso_20 and I'd be down for stomping rats too

Also slightly off topic but how are some of the other Warhammer games also on PS4 cause Chaosbane, Mordheim, and Inquisitor are all heavily discounted right now and all seem tempting

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

drrockso20 posted:

My PSN is DrRockso_20 and I'd be down for stomping rats too

Also slightly off topic but how are some of the other Warhammer games also on PS4 cause Chaosbane, Mordheim, and Inquisitor are all heavily discounted right now and all seem tempting

None of them are particularly good, unfortunately. Chaosbane is a half-baked Diablo clone, Mordheim is buggy and unfinished, and Inquisitor has a good plot because it's based off the Dan Abnett trilogy of books but it has mediocre gameplay.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

None of them are particularly good, unfortunately. Chaosbane is a half-baked Diablo clone, Mordheim is buggy and unfinished, and Inquisitor has a good plot because it's based off the Dan Abnett trilogy of books but it has mediocre gameplay.

Well that's a shame, but at least I'll have not wasted money then

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Cool cool, I'll add you all. Feel free to add TheNoSix.

I just realized the huge update. Tons more content!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

I have been playing Vermintide 2 since it came out in 2018.

Why am I only now realizing that the Skittergate is a loving Stargate parody.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

is it tho?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's a big circular portal device between two places, one of which might as well be in a different dimension for how hosed up Norsca gets.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Arcsquad12 posted:

I have been playing Vermintide 2 since it came out in 2018.

Why am I only now realizing that the Skittergate is a loving Stargate parody.

it is the fargate, not a stargate

i'm not getting sued

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
Had a long streak of playing with nothing but cool pubbies, the type who just shrug off a bad situation and just get back to swanging things into a rats face, but today the streak was broken by a token Kerillan player too keen of shooting the team ti get kills, complaining about us getting in the way, ignoring any formation and just being an insufferable brat. I've heard tell of these players but to see them first hand was amazing.

Doubled up by another player who refused to acknowledge there was a team and preferred to let someone die if it meant him getting to the escape point faster and put us on blast despite being surrounded by plague monks and stormvermin.

Pretty annoying session until a couple of cool dudes turned up and we crushed act 1 on legend. Playing with folks who are able to acknowledge each situation and play as a team is such a wonderful part of this game and reminds me why I still play it after all this time.

Game still owns but I will never not be frustrated by endless chaos warriors in the summoning pool finale.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Cut to the current state of things and Saltspyre is pretty drat shaken by Drachenfels and decides that the only cure is going on crusade into the Realm of Chaos itself to kill the bastards where they live.

I thought the intro said he wants to go to the north so he can ask Sigmar directly for help, since the "walls between realities are thin" or something.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Javelin melee + double ult + radiant inheritance boosting your attacks + Doomsight giving you guaranted crits, is still insane, even after the nerfs.

Javelin melee has like 100% superarmor pierce, you can use both ults and spam javelin light attacks into a full Chaos Warrior patrol and just mow through them with a frontal assault, just walk through the patrol like it was a pair of ambient slaverats. This was on Legend though, I'd probably be a bit more careful on Cataclysm.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jul 10, 2021

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Something I've never been clear on: does quick play drop you into the lobbies you see open in the lobby browser, or is quick play its own separate thing?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUSWgO3wonk

Don't count repeat battles, it encourages the Vampires.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I have to say that I'm loving Chaos Wastes. Making randomized OP builds and going up against overtuned enemy spawns is a lot of fun because you basically build a subclass within your class as you progress. I was running a full stagger knight build with spear and shield and I kept getting boons that gave me more health and damage reduction. By the final arena fight I was basically unstoppable and headshotting chaos warriors with a pointed stick.

Even besides that new dlc smell, it's the most fun I've had since Back to Ubersreik. It throws balance out the window and that's honestly for the best. Just find new ways to break the game and win against the swarm.

I also think Kruber is low key becoming the smartest one in the whole group. He correctly guessed that the Wastes were caused (at least partially) by really big frogs, and he also was the only one to point out how weird it is that they're on chaos's home turf and yet they only fight the Rotbloods.

I really hope that Fatshark adds more maps into the Chaos Wastes rotation. There is a lot they could do with this game mode to make it even more crazy.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Kruber is basically the only member of the group to have a WIS score high enough to be worth mentioning(well Bardin and maybe Kerillian would too but they have too much Dwarf and Elf craziness respectively to really count)

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUSWgO3wonk

Don't count repeat battles, it encourages the Vampires.

I don't understand this. Why would the vampires like to remember it's the seventh battle of Deutschburgsburg instead of the first? As immortals don't they know already? And isn't it probably just a reminder that they got beat at Deutschburgsburg six other times seeing as how the Empire isn't a vast waste of undead thralls?

Edit I didn't watch the link I just figure you're talking about that line of Kruber's where he says they don't number battles against vampires

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

SuperKlaus posted:

I don't understand this. Why would the vampires like to remember it's the seventh battle of Deutschburgsburg instead of the first? As immortals don't they know already? And isn't it probably just a reminder that they got beat at Deutschburgsburg six other times seeing as how the Empire isn't a vast waste of undead thralls?

Edit I didn't watch the link I just figure you're talking about that line of Kruber's where he says they don't number battles against vampires

Like a sporting event, the vampires would get hyped for it annually. 'This year marks the XXII Feast of Hel Fenn, and we've made some big changes since after last years spectacular blowout! Sharpen your swords and spank your thralls because you won't want to miss this years action!

Maybe. I don't know.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Shuka posted:

Like a sporting event, the vampires would get hyped for it annually. 'This year marks the XXII Feast of Hel Fenn, and we've made some big changes since after last years spectacular blowout! Sharpen your swords and spank your thralls because you won't want to miss this years action!

Maybe. I don't know.

Von Carsteins are the kind of people that would absolutely do this, yes.

They love things that become regular social events.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's a Sesame Street joke, guys. Vampires like to count, you shouldn't encourage them.

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

I also think Kruber is low key becoming the smartest one in the whole group. He correctly guessed that the Wastes were caused (at least partially) by really big frogs, and he also was the only one to point out how weird it is that they're on chaos's home turf and yet they only fight the Rotbloods.

I really hope that Fatshark adds more maps into the Chaos Wastes rotation. There is a lot they could do with this game mode to make it even more crazy.

With the frogs, I think Olesya told him that, since one of the responses you get when he says that is to stop hanging around her so much. Also, more maps would be good.

I'm also sad that the world ends and we don't get to see Kruber trying to be baron/count of Frenchnowheresville, Brettonia.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Considering how much damage the 5/4 do on a regular excursion I will settle for an alternate take on the End Times where the world is saved because Kruber pulled a Grimgor and kicked Mannfred in the teeth before running away shouting how he's a bloody battering ram.

Unfortunately it's still very, very early in the End Times if Kruber is still talking about Gelt's golden wall in Kislev. That just means they have a few years to go killing every single thing they meet.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's a Sesame Street joke, guys. Vampires like to count, you shouldn't encourage them.

:aaaaa:

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
Man I really love the lore in this game, absolutely can not say it enough. My knowledge of Warhammer Fantasy (or 40k for that matter) was basically nonexistent before I started playing VT, but it singlehandedly sold the setting for me.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Yeah for all this game's flaws, it has heart.

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Arcsquad12 posted:

But the Count counts because it is a weirdly common element of vampire lore that they have a compulsion to count things - tossing a bag of rice on the floor is a great way to escape vampires, as they are compelled to stop and count every grain. Sesame Street's Count is a deep, deep pun.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Fucks sakes I had three party wipes on chaos wastes last night and every one of them had an underleveled Saltspyre running off on his own while we're on legend difficulty. Dude I know that hero power isn't as big a deal in chaos wastes but cone on you still have your class talents you need to max out.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Sab Sabbington posted:

Man I really love the lore in this game, absolutely can not say it enough. My knowledge of Warhammer Fantasy (or 40k for that matter) was basically nonexistent before I started playing VT, but it singlehandedly sold the setting for me.

Warhammer Fantasy is straight up my favorite setting. It's grim, but there's actual good guys to root for. It's gritty, but in a human way where petty people making petty decisions leads to unfathomable cruelty. Magic is really interesting and full of character, and it makes sense as to why. It's full of small things that lead to joy and tragedy, like towns actually being known for small things like their red cheese. The aesthetics are striking, every faction has super memorable look, with some coming to define how people see every other example of that fantasy race, like the dwarves. Reading the 2nd edition WFRP books showed me a world I wanted to see get better because it clearly could, even if the reasons things are awful are pretty entrenched! The whole swords, plate, magic and flintlocks thing is also just so cool fantasy settings all over the place now use it.

I keep desperately hoping for more Vermintide peoples, but I just don't think it's in the cards at this point. I really wanted a Light or Celestial wizard, but... well, I doubt that'll happen.

Grondoth fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 25, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The GW version of Orcs remains the de facto inspiration for nearly every variation on Orcs made since the 80s. Before warhammer, Games Workshop models were used for other tabletop games, most notably Dungeons and Dragons. Illustrations existed before the models true, but the green skin, pig snout and tusks of the archetype Orc really got defined by the GW model line.

Beyond space marines, beyond pauldrons, beyond anything else, the image of the Greenskin is, in my opinion, Games Workshop's greatest and most influential contribution to pop culture.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Grondoth posted:

I keep desperately hoping for more Vermintide peoples, but I just don't think it's in the cards at this point. I really wanted a Light or Celestial wizard, but... well, I doubt that'll happen.

Personally, I would have loved a Skink, because a). Cute wee beastie that's smart and interesting. b). Lizardmen are one of the great Order races. c). I mean, c'mon look at this little fucker:

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

From the start I was hoping for more characters, like a Brettonian that had peasant/knight/grail knight as classes or maybe an Orc with Boy/Black Orc/Shaman as classes. But I think that would've been a pain to make, force a huge number of new voicelines and animations etc.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Yeah if we get a 3rd game in the series I could see them adding a new playable character or two, and either a Lizardman or Orc seem like the most likely direction they could go for an additional playable character

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Did the vampire counts side with The Empire during The End Times?

That would be good if only to piss Salzpyre off even more.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Vampires would be great as both party members or as a new foe. Going full zombie apocalypse would be a funny way of this games inspirations going full circle.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Friend wants a tomb king as a new playable character.

I'm meanwhile more realistic and think that they shouldn't add any new character because it would be absolutely insane amounts of voice work needed from all 6 voice actors and triggers for existing voice lines to mesh well together and going over all of the old voice lines to fit it together, all from a company that can't use the right test version of their game and has every character speak none-stop about drachenfel.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Vagabong posted:

Vampires would be great as both party members or as a new foe. Going full zombie apocalypse would be a funny way of this games inspirations going full circle.

The only problem with vampire as playable I think is that even within the realm of the ubersreik heroes being demigods of war, vampires are just a whole other level of powerful.

I remember one of the last warhammer fantasy roleplay editions had a supplement about them, it said straight up to the gamesmaster: if you're running a game with player vampires this may be super unbalanced, we really don't recommend it.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jul 26, 2021

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Sharkopath posted:

I remember one of the last warhammer fantasy roleplay editions had a supplement about them, it said straight up to the gamesmaster: if you're having the party fight the vampire directly you might have messed up, we really don't recommend it.

You can absolutely beat them in open combat in WHFRP, but you'll always be at something of a disadvantage, especially if you're fighting a Blood Dragon. I've had a Questing Knight PC take 2 of them one at a time in the same night and win in straight fights, though. Though that's partly because Bretonnian Knights are total shitkickers.

Basically, a WHFRP Vampire gets something like +10 or +15 to most stats besides shooting. And a ton of wounds. And an extra attack. It's like having a whole extra layer of careers added on top of your careers. And then they get special powers. It's usually better to find a way to use their weaknesses and do clever stuff and assassinate them; you'll win by action economy if your PCs are badasses but it's gonna be a fight. And that's assuming they're fighting you personally and not hiding behind undead and minions and thralls and poo poo. Vampires aren't totally off the scale but they are bad news to be on the wrong end of.

Fun as hell to play as sometimes, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Night10194 posted:

You can absolutely beat them in open combat in WHFRP, but you'll always be at something of a disadvantage, especially if you're fighting a Blood Dragon. I've had a Questing Knight PC take 2 of them one at a time in the same night and win in straight fights, though. Though that's partly because Bretonnian Knights are total shitkickers.

Basically, a WHFRP Vampire gets something like +10 or +15 to most stats besides shooting. And a ton of wounds. And an extra attack. It's like having a whole extra layer of careers added on top of your careers. And then they get special powers. It's usually better to find a way to use their weaknesses and do clever stuff and assassinate them; you'll win by action economy if your PCs are badasses but it's gonna be a fight. And that's assuming they're fighting you personally and not hiding behind undead and minions and thralls and poo poo. Vampires aren't totally off the scale but they are bad news to be on the wrong end of.

Fun as hell to play as sometimes, though!

I misremembered the advice given, makes sense that a book about running a campaign with the vampire as a villain would have the vampire would be beatable.