Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Football? Just a load of overpaid tossers hoofing it around a field. It's time to cheer on Our Brave Lions in some real sports like *checks notes* competitive bouldering???

After a strong showing at our home games in 2012 GB returned strong in Rio 2016 with an even stronger performance, picking up 27 golds, 23 silvers and 17 bronzes to land second on the medal table which is the same as coming in first when you ignore the USA. Medal estimates for Tokyo 2020 have been dropped because of *waves hand at everything* but we're still sending a strong team with some very viable medal candidates. In particular the sports to look out for are:

Cycling: GB are the best in the world at riding things around a track and everyone hates us but they're just jealous. Jason Kenny and Laura Stott are two of our most decorated Olympians with 10 gold medals between them and Kenny can become #1 if he wins a 7th gold in one of the sprint events

Rowing: Rowing has always been our most reliable sport, especially in the men's fours which we haven't lost since Atlanta.

Tennis: Andy Murray always seems to save his best work for the Olympics and he's already started strong knocking out the #2 seeds in the men's doubles with Joe Salisbury

Taekwondo: If Jade Jones can defend her title she'll be the first British female to win three consecutive gold medals. Bianca Walkden is also a really strong contender with three European and world championships to her name

Swimming: We may not be as strong the Yanks or the Aussies in the pool but we have a smattering of medal hopes, nonemoreso than Adam Peaty who hasn't been defeated in 7 years and has the 16 fastest ever times for the 100m breaststroke. There's also Duncan Scott, currently ranked #1 in the world at 200m freestyle.

Triathlon: The Brownlee brothers have dominated this sport for a decade but only Jonny is in Tokyo as Alastair was pipped in qualifying by Alex Yee, who must be pretty tasty himself. The women are also sending a strong field led by world champion Georgia Taylor-Brown

Those are some of our best but we've many other chances as well. We're sure to have a lot of sporting success ahead in the next 2 weeks :britain: :britain: :britain:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Um I'm sorry but football is coming home (from the olympics)??? GB women have dispatched the nefarious Japanese and Chileans already, and have qualified for the next round.

Shame we couldn't medal in the men's road race. Yates just didn't have the legs with the Tour de France riders around him.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Jade Jones out in the 1st round and Andy Murray retires from the men's singles :negative:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Will be living vicariously through this thread and the BBC website coverage as some of the NBC coverage literally just cuts out any other non-US team. (Luckily the event coverage seems similar to the iplayer style I remember from 2012). I probably know nobody representing us these days, but it’s nice to learn about the current batch.

Miss the years of Linford and Colin Jackson, great fun while growing up.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Women's hockey team lose their first match to Germany

Max Litchfield finishes 4th in the 400th medley

Close the thread I want to go home :negative:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
GB have their first medals as Brandon Sibley very politely allowed a 19 year old from Uzbekistan to beat him in the final of the taekwondo while Chelsie Giles won the bronze final in the judo :britain:

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

Will be living vicariously through this thread and the BBC website coverage as some of the NBC coverage literally just cuts out any other non-US team. (Luckily the event coverage seems similar to the iplayer style I remember from 2012). I probably know nobody representing us these days, but it’s nice to learn about the current batch.

Miss the years of Linford and Colin Jackson, great fun while growing up.

We've never hit that 2012 quality of coverage, and probably never will again. What a great schedule/VOD system.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Ravus posted:

We've never hit that 2012 quality of coverage, and probably never will again. What a great schedule/VOD system.

Tbf I'm quite happy with BBC's coverage so far this year. They're zipping around showing off a load of different sports and being on delay means they can cut out of loads of dead air which means they can fit a lot more in.

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Rarity posted:

Tbf I'm quite happy with BBC's coverage so far this year. They're zipping around showing off a load of different sports and being on delay means they can cut out of loads of dead air which means they can fit a lot more in.

The zipping pisses me off immensely. Like, they cut away from the street skateboarding 4th heat to show some cycling. It wasn't dead air, it was action. When I'm watching an event I want to see the whole god drat event!

It would be fine on the main channel if they had the VODs/red button feeds for every event by themselves, but they just don't.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Rarity posted:

GB have their first medals as Brandon Sibley very politely allowed a 19 year old from Uzbekistan to beat him in the final of the taekwondo while Chelsie Giles won the bronze final in the judo :britain:
Both of these two were loving incredible. Sibley's last poo poo-or-bust attempted back kick was tense :discourse:

Rarity posted:

I am legit annoyed that none of the sports I like are getting shown. I was really looking forward to the tiny women's weightlifting yesterday :( Thought I'd at least get the men's lifting and/or fencing today, but no, even the highlights are just showing the exact same sports I just finished watching :argh:

Any of youse know how I can watch the weightlifting in the UK?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Borrovan posted:

It's on the red button replay right now!

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Rarity posted:

It's on the red button replay right now!
:)

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Borrovan posted:

I picked up a discovery+ sub for 1 month to use Eurosport's vods. The commentary is usually worse, they have adverts (though fairly placed in dead air mostly) but their vod system and layout is so much better

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The men's triathlon with strong GB contenders is gonna be getting off to a very early start in about half an hour. It's due to finish around 1am so it's doable without loving yourself up for work tomorrow. Then if you do feel like a late one we've got Adam Peaty pretty much locked in for something during the night as well as a medal chance in the men's 4x100m freestyle relay. And then in the morning we've got Tom Daley and Matty Lee in the synchronised diving for breakfast time. All being well we'll have a gold or two in the bag from that lot :unsmith:

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
The coverage in the UK is completely bizarre. I had no idea that Eurosport had taken the rights from the BBC because they seem to have made no attempt to advertise it. I spent the last two days just assuming the BBC coverage was a bit lackluster this time because of the time difference before realising my sky package now how an additional 7 Eurosport channels with round the clock Olympics.

Like it sucks enough that we aren't getting the amazing BBC coverage of years past but you would think Discovery/Eurosport would be trying to tell people they should pay for their service.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Bradly Sinden had a close Taekwondo match but just lost out for gold in the last 10 seconds of the final set.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Alex Yee ends up having to settle for a silver, I really thought he had it but that Norwegian guy just shredded him at the end :smith:

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

It (synchronised diving) is coming home.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

a pipe smoking dog posted:

It (synchronised diving) is coming home.

loving incredible result this, such a tense final. Well worth seeing on catchup if you missed it

Also Adam Peaty brought home our first gold and we're currently leading in the mountain biking :toot:

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Rarity posted:

loving incredible result this, such a tense final. Well worth seeing on catchup if you missed it

Also Adam Peaty brought home our first gold and we're currently leading in the mountain biking :toot:

And off I go to the mountain biking. Nice day after what went down yesterday.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Rarity posted:

Yeah the Chinese going last was a stroke of dramatic genius.

Wonder what the odds are on Daley getting a knighthood...

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Wonder what the odds are on Daley getting a knighthood...

Got to be locked on at this point, surely

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

It (mountain biking) is coming home also. Dominant victory by pidcock.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Not going to be enough beds in the house for all the sports that are coming home

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It kinda got missed between all the shenanigans going on earlier but Lauren Williams has made the final of her taekwondo division so we could have another gold in a few hours :woop:

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Also Tom Pidcock is a loving machine and I'm a little annoyed at his win being overshadowed by Daley winning. He used to frequent the Vue at Plymouth when I worked there at uni and he was the most colossal oval office I have ever met. Just the worst type of entitlement I've ever experienced from a person.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

gently caress's sake the taekwondo has to be on at the exact same time as my one & only meeting today :( Lauren Williams is a machine.

Pidcock seems like a nice lad.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Kinda obscene lol. Can't be fun competing against someone who literally has every single fastest time ever.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jeza posted:

Kinda obscene lol. Can't be fun competing against someone who literally has every single fastest time ever.

If they wanted to beat him then maybe they shoulda swam faster :colbert:

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Petition to rename breaststroke to just 'Peaty'

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Only a silver for Lauren Williams, incredibly close final

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Turned it round in the last 8 seconds :o

Fantastic fight mind

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Artingstall just beat the absolute poo poo out of some Brazilian in the women's featherweight round of 16

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
GB is up to 5th on the medal table, we're well on our way :unsmith:

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

down to 5th you mean, we were 4th this morning :argh:

...which I was counting as 1st, once you discount the home team & the wannabe superpowers with extremely obvious state-sponsored doping programmes (who weren't dumb enough to get caught, loving lol@Russia)

e: wait "ROC" isn't Taiwan, I'm still calling it 1st

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 26, 2021

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
ROC isn't even a country so imo they don't count :colbert:

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

:hmmyes:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Is there anywhere that just has like a simple list of results by day (not just for GB)

how am i supposed to keep track of everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Help Im Alive posted:

Is there anywhere that just has like a simple list of results by day (not just for GB)

how am i supposed to keep track of everything
here, decent schedule on there too