Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

live with fruit posted:

The main character in two movies having less than two hours of total screen time is more surprising.

Ant-Man was 117 minutes. Ant-Man and the Wasp was 118 minutes. Neither of them was the MCU version of Castaway with Tom Hanks spending most of the movie onscreen making friends with a volleyball.

I think overall I enjoy the Ant-man movies more than any of the other characters' movies. The other characters have a tendency (like with Tony Stark) to have the main character at the center and the other secondary character that are in his orbit. With Scott Lang it's not about orbits so much as relationships and the occasional collision. It's also pretty cool (and I hope this survives into the next movie) that Scott Lang does his "crime fighting" for money, in his "civilian ID" by selling security systems to people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It’s also impossible to hate Paul Rudd, and Michael Peña is hilarious.

Of the post-Endgame roster of heroes I think Ant-Man may be in my top three, if not the top.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Of the post-Endgame roster of heroes I think Ant-Man may be in my top three, if not the top.

I want some kind of ironclad law that instead of any "Previouslys" all MCU recaps should be done via Michael Peña telling convoluted stories.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Michael Peña's character should be a cringe-y West Coast stereotype but he basically brute forces Luis into being fantastic. I'm actually really shocked they didn't go much harder on his stories in Ant Man & The Wasp or drag Michael Peña out to tell story recaps for other movies.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

mind the walrus posted:

Michael Peña's character should be a cringe-y West Coast stereotype but he basically brute forces Luis into being fantastic. I'm actually really shocked they didn't go much harder on his stories in Ant Man & The Wasp or drag Michael Peña out to tell story recaps for other movies.

I didn't think the second one was quite as good, it felt pretty forced. He would work well though for recaps, like "Marvel Phase 1 recap by Luis from Ant-Man" would be hilarious.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

seaborgium posted:

I didn't think the second one was quite as good, it felt pretty forced. He would work well though for recaps, like "Marvel Phase 1 recap by Luis from Ant-Man" would be hilarious.

Do it in the context of him meeting Deadpool

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ant-man works because they get the stakes-to-character ratio just perfect. Lang is talented but not ridiculously so and lives a recognisably ordinary life where the universe doesn't just hand him everything on a plate. His stories aren't about saving the planet (apart from Endgame, which is also endearing because you can see the character is pushing the boundaries of what they think they are capable of because of the stakes), they're just about trying to get a little bit of justice.

The dynamic with Peña is tapping into the thing that made the Ghostbusters likeable as well.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

This is a bit obscure but if you like Michael Peña, he voiced a character in the short-lived Chozen TV show, which wasn't particularly great but had some funny moments (also Hannibal Burress)

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I wish they'd trimmed maybe five minutes from the CGI slogfest at the end to give us a scene with Tony and Scott bonding over their daughters.

In my headcanon I think Scott's "time heist" came together for reasons a little less obvious than one might think.

I think if that rat had danced over the portal keys and popped Scott out five days after The Snap (which felt like five seconds) he'd have mourned Hank, Hope and Janet but concentrated on caring for his daughter and his friends/family instead of hauling rear end to find the Avengers and sell them on a time heist.

I think the difference is that loving Thanos and his bullshit stole another five years of Scott being with his daughter as she grew up.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

It should've been Monkey Joe that freed Scott Lang instead of the universe's most important rat.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Everyone posted:

I wish they'd trimmed maybe five minutes from the CGI slogfest at the end to give us a scene with Tony and Scott bonding over their daughters.

In my headcanon I think Scott's "time heist" came together for reasons a little less obvious than one might think.

I think if that rat had danced over the portal keys and popped Scott out five days after The Snap (which felt like five seconds) he'd have mourned Hank, Hope and Janet but concentrated on caring for his daughter and his friends/family instead of hauling rear end to find the Avengers and sell them on a time heist.

I think the difference is that loving Thanos and his bullshit stole another five years of Scott being with his daughter as she grew up.

My daughter just turned three in May and I’ve missed in total about 15 months of her life because of the Navy and I would do anything to have that time back or even come after a Titan if I found he had anything to do with my deployment schedule. I legit cried in the theatre when Scott found his daughter because it just hit so hard to home.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Anita Dickinme posted:

My daughter just turned three in May and I’ve missed in total about 15 months of her life because of the Navy and I would do anything to have that time back or even come after a Titan if I found he had anything to do with my deployment schedule. I legit cried in the theatre when Scott found his daughter because it just hit so hard to home.

Absolutely lost it as well when Scott found his daughter. I want a huge fan of how endgame turned out, but that particular scene hit me hard.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

mutata posted:

It should've been Monkey Joe that freed Scott Lang instead of the universe's most important rat.

https://twitter.com/ryanqnorth/status/1131557540880363520
This is canon.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’m surprised Disney doesn’t shovel so much Ms. Marvel and Squirrel Girl poo poo out the door with how popular those characters are.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

There was supposed to be a Squirrel Girl show with the lady from the AT&T commercials, but it got canned when they killed all the non-Disney+ shows.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Edmund Lava posted:

There was supposed to be a Squirrel Girl show with the lady from the AT&T commercials, but it got canned when they killed all the non-Disney+ shows.

I thought Freeform passed on it before that happened?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I thought Freeform passed on it before that happened?

Correct.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Haha, gently caress it, just replace the rat and rerender the scene. Full retcon. That's cool though, I'm all for it.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Edmund Lava posted:

At least we'll always have that time Milana Vayntrub showed up at SDCC in squirrel girl cosplay with a BLM tshirt.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
She did voice her in the animated Marvel Rising thingies.

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.
Lang's Postulate for Ecoline Squeezing:

lim(t -> ∞) of p(rat steps on button) = 1

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

howe_sam posted:

At least we'll always have that time Milana Vayntrub showed up at SDCC in squirrel girl cosplay with a BLM tshirt.

PICTURES NOW!!! Please?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Okee-dokee, very tall Canadian included for scale.
https://twitter.com/ryanqnorth/status/1020899430449344512

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Another pic:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

mind the walrus posted:

shame about the scientology

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Alan Smithee posted:

shame about the scientology

Goddamn it still has people? But Leah Remini worked so hard on her show :(

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Goddamn it still has people? But Leah Remini worked so hard on her show :(

Peña's been in it since like 2000.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://twitter.com/preterniadotcom/status/1419650645192286208

No horns on Alligator Loki, boooooo

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Had they even teased Spider-Sorcerer before now?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I see we're getting "What If Wanda Maximoff didn't fall in love with Vision and instead bought a couple of jelly dildos?" as a scenario.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Jedit posted:

I see we're getting "What If Wanda Maximoff didn't fall in love with Vision and instead bought a couple of jelly dildos?" as a scenario.

Finally we'll have answers!

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Maaaann that lineup sucks. Why are they making two separate Captain Peggy minifigs? Why is it half remixed What If minifigs instead of new characters?

Where's Kang?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Mameluke posted:

Maaaann that lineup sucks. Why are they making two separate Captain Peggy minifigs??

They aren't? I only see one in the lineup.

As for why there aren't any new characters, I assume it's because Lego wasn't told about them.

I've noticed that Lego doesn't seem to get told much about the movies in advance and only tends to put out one or two generic sets around the movie's release, sometimes going back a year or two later to make some based off specific scenes. Probably trying to avoid another Mandarin's Battle Car set or something.
Like they've only been putting out scene specific Endgame sets this year I think, the ones that came out before the movie were generic stuff like "Thanos gets captured by the Avengers and breaks out of his cell at the compound!"

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
There is a "hydra smasher" set coming out around the same time with another Captain Peggy minifigure

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The recent Infinity Saga sets came about because the movies got delayed. Lego wanted to release something MCU-themed so they went back and took a second look at what movie tie-ins they could do.

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009

Technowolf posted:

Had they even teased Spider-Sorcerer before now?

In Into the Spider-Verse Miles points at a Spider-Sorcerer costume in the “Spider Cave”

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Kwanzaa Quickie posted:

In Into the Spider-Verse Miles points at a Spider-Sorcerer costume in the “Spider Cave”

That's actually from a What If? where Peter stops the burglar because he figures it'd be good publicity and becomes a Hollywood douchebag.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

But there is a Frog-Thor!

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Took me a bit to figure out what Monica's accessory was. I thought it was one of those Wile E Coyote dynamite plungers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

seaborgium posted:

But there is a Frog-Thor!

His name is Throg.