Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Thanks for the recs! I like Victory Gundam, but I didn't see it until last year when I watched along with the Great Gundam Project podcast. The Victory Gundam itself looks really cool too.

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jul 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Ethiser posted:

I like Victory Gundam, but it certainly isn’t for most people. I hope we can flip the script some and recruit Duker Iq as a battleship captain.

We would be invincible.

Edit: let's hope we get the Victory Insert song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INA1j4S9wSU

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Endorph posted:

these games are so similar that once youve played one in english you can guess the menus for the others, like even if you dont have focus in jp memorized you know what the spirit that costs 10/15 SP and says '30%' does. prboably the reason theres so few menu patches.
I really suggest everyone just kinda learn basic Japanese anyway so you don't need to wait for Menu patches. It really isn't that much of an investment and it's really liberating... plus those things tend to kill my soul when I see full width English fonts.

also you can play my cool fangames

chiasaur11 posted:

...the film (Mazinger Z: Infinity) spends a lot of time with no action because it seems vaguely aware that movies should have plots, even if it doesn't have an idea how they work.
I think this is the funniest thing I'm going to read today.

MarsDragon posted:

I've been watching some Astro Boy on RetroCrush, and it's really weird that Atom's never been in a SRW, not even when they were making the big push in 2003. He's not even that hard to just plop in since all he really needs is a world where robots exist and bam. Atom can pal around with the kids while Dr Hell tries to hire Tenma to do unethical science poo poo.
In retrospect it's pretty odd they managed to get the knock-off inspired media Mega Man before the presumably more renowned Atom, admittingly in a gachagacha.

Guess Tezuka estate asks for more money than Capcom.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Willo567 posted:

I mentioned Symphogear before, but assuming it debuted in a game with sixty stages, would it be possible to combine the plots of all five seasons so that the story could be covered in a single game if Hibiki and Tsubasa were the first units you'd get in the game?

NGL I'd be hype as gently caress if the first stage was a bunch of Scopedogs or Sutherlands getting absolutely bodied by Noise as they try to defend the Zwei Wing concert from the first episode. Make it a game focusing mostly on alien invader style stuff like the Noise, or the Mycenae, Space Monsters, etc and I think it could work real well. Make sure to get Tekkaman Blade and Orgun back too. :slick:

Also Victory is one of the worst UC shows but it's got sickass designs and one of the best main units in the entire franchise.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Throw in G Gundam with Symphogear.

Master Asia vs Genjuro.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

what tends to get fantranslated is mostly just what individual translators are interested in, not so much considerations like that.

Or giant coincidences that you think are too insane to happen.

A guy that has done translations on robot manga was about to start playing SRW GC. (Oppai Missile)
Another guy that has been working on a menu translation shows off his work. (Steve0)
Yet another guy jumps on it and sees that story text can be translated the same way (Dashman)
And a fourth person jumps in to make a milky tits joke and show off some assembly programming skills. (Bring Stabity, aka me)

And then years later Arc Impulse joins to bring it to a successful close 8 years after it started.

https://desuarchive.org/m/thread/8853317/#q8884045

BisbyWorl posted:

Master Asia vs Genjuro.

That would be amazing

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

BisbyWorl posted:

Master Asia vs Genjuro.

Hibiki with unique lines for fighting Master Asia would be very nice.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Yeah that’s a shoe in series for this hypothetical game. :hmmyes:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
A month ago them putting in VS Betterman would have been a massive hypothetical.

Silentplanet
Oct 14, 2012

Which of the games available on switch (not in SEA) is your favorite? I gotta import anyways so I may as well get the best one! Pretty big fan of Disgaea and this series seemed like a natural transition.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Would the Bettermen be the first time, outside of the mobile games, they’ve used something that is just a straight up giant monster that doesn’t have any robotic parts or mechanical bite as a playable unit? I can’t think of anything that wasn’t at least nominally a robot, outside of like Alfimi.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Silentplanet posted:

Which of the games available on switch (not in SEA) is your favorite? I gotta import anyways so I may as well get the best one! Pretty big fan of Disgaea and this series seemed like a natural transition.

Toss up between V and T for me, I'd go with whichever has more series you like included.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Ethiser posted:

Would the Bettermen be the first time, outside of the mobile games, they’ve used something that is just a straight up giant monster that doesn’t have any robotic parts or mechanical bite as a playable unit? I can’t think of anything that wasn’t at least nominally a robot, outside of like Alfimi.

They did Betterman in Compact 3 but Betterman himself never became playable, so maybe he won't be this time either.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Droyer posted:

They did Betterman in Compact 3 but Betterman himself never became playable, so maybe he won't be this time either.

It's been ages since I watched betterman, but i don't think the bettermens actually became giant in the original series, did they? The non-villain ones at least, my memories of that show are like a fever dream.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Nuebot posted:

It's been ages since I watched betterman, but i don't think the bettermens actually became giant in the original series, did they? The non-villain ones at least, my memories of that show are like a fever dream.

The main Betterman definitely ate seeds and turned into different big monsters.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I definitely don't remember that one. Oh god I'm going to have to re-watch it now after Victory :psyduck:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Ethiser posted:

The main Betterman definitely ate seeds and turned into different big monsters.

Not only that, Lamia also defeated all the evil giant monsters in the entire series because the protagonist is utterly useless.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Keita managing to Arthur Dent his way through a cosmic horror story ruled, though I wish he was less of a sleeze.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Silentplanet posted:

V and T are roughly equal in quality so you might as well pick the series list that you like best.

From a more analytic view point it does feel like V accomplished more of what it set out to do where T's cost-cutting corners are a bit more obvious but I feel like new players probably will not notice.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think T has a better original plot and I like that it doesn't have the excuse of dimension hopping to make all the series fit together, but V does good stuff with Yamato. But yeah, of those two I'd definitely say pick whichever has a series list you like more. If you have absolutely no preference between them I'd prooobably say T is the better one by a hair.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Be aware that while the original characters in T are all good, the lead robot is pretty boring if that might bother you.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i kinda like the tyranado tbh, its boring but a fun kinda boring. and it fits the punch-clock office worker motif. its ostensibly a grunt suit and all.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I was fine with the Tyranado, but its upgrade felt extremely low effort.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Silentplanet posted:

If you can afford it buy all three, if only one at a time I'd say V first, then X, then T as each game adds new little things that will make going to their predecessor feel clunky

Reiska
Oct 14, 2013
Given how they handled Rayearth in T, I can totally see them doing a loose adaptation of Symphogear that plays a bit loose with the canon timeline to have all 5 of the main cast playable for a decent amount of time. You'd probably still only get Maria/Kirika/Shirabe for the last 1/3 or so of the game at best with that setup unless they went really wild, but I could begrudgingly live with that.

TBH I feel like season 3 might be the actual best fit for SRW (at least of what I've seen of the show, which is all but the last season), but it'd be kinda weird to just debut it in the middle like that.

Reiska fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 26, 2021

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Alacron posted:

Keita managing to Arthur Dent his way through a cosmic horror story ruled, though I wish he was less of a sleeze.

He's a lot better in GGG Vs Betterman, partially due to being an adult and partially due to actually being in a long-term relationship with Hinoki

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Can any cast list be good so long as you have fun crossover scenarios with the various series and that none of them contradict each other?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Davzz posted:

V and T are roughly equal in quality so you might as well pick the series list that you like best.

From a more analytic view point it does feel like V accomplished more of what it set out to do where T's cost-cutting corners are a bit more obvious but I feel like new players probably will not notice.

Thinking about it, yeah there does seem to be cut corners in T. There's a ton of original NPCs who show up once and then never again, almost as if they had bigger plans for the OG story at some point.

Also my eternal complain for VXT that they didn't give the minor villains their own theme songs. Rudi Pixyzalto should be blasting her own theme song whenever she goes "It is I!"

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Davzz posted:

In retrospect it's pretty odd they managed to get the knock-off inspired media Mega Man before the presumably more renowned Atom, admittingly in a gachagacha.

Guess Tezuka estate asks for more money than Capcom.

Nicalis was able to get Atom for their Puzzle Fighter knock-off just by asking (supposedly), and I find it hard to believe they'd put more money down than Banpresto.

I dunno. It's weird.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

MarsDragon posted:

Nicalis was able to get Atom for their Puzzle Fighter knock-off just by asking (supposedly), and I find it hard to believe they'd put more money down than Banpresto.

I dunno. It's weird.

They got Atom AND Black Jack.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Bring back Tetsujin, along with Atom.

The 2003 Atom had a great evil Doctor Tenma.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Bring back Tetsujin, along with Atom.

The 2003 Atom had a great evil Doctor Tenma.

why not just go whole hog and have a spinoff of slightly less super robots, team Atom up with Cyborg 009 and Kikaider.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Nuebot posted:

why not just go whole hog and have a spinoff of slightly less super robots, team Atom up with Cyborg 009 and Kikaider.

Classic Mega Man would work well with those.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Nuebot posted:

Yes.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Inferno-sama posted:

Classic Mega Man would work well with those.

Wily and a league of evil doctors working with Black Ghost would do pretty good for villains, too.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
A spinoff starring human sized robots and Toku heroes. Bring back Tekkaman Blade and Orgun, add more Tatsunoko characters like Casshern and Gatchaman, Gilliam and Fighter Roar can come back as OGs.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Bring back Machine Robo drat it, I need more Rom speeches

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

I would actually like to see Gatchaman in a SRW game.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

A SRW with all series from before the 80s, with Gundam being the most recent series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Willo567 posted:

Can any cast list be good so long as you have fun crossover scenarios with the various series and that none of them contradict each other?

Worked for me.