Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Bitcoiners are going to turn into the new Iraqi Dinar freaks as more banks block exchange transactions, people go to jail, and tons of money is permanently sucked of out of the system. It's already started in China but of course these idiots think that's actually good for bitcoin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

So why did the butts go up? I thought tether had to turn off their printers while they do their audit?

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
So if Tether turns out to be hugely fraudulent, wouldn't that carry implications for bitcoin, since a large amount of the current value comes from tether pumps?

Lmao the implication would be that bitcoin shoots up for some reason

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
probably big groups dumping their Tethers to buy Bitcoin and selling those for actual cash before the rug is pulled

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

So why did the butts go up? I thought tether had to turn off their printers while they do their audit?

Even things that are bad for bitcoin are good for bitcoin.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Nybble posted:

probably big groups dumping their Tethers to buy Bitcoin and selling those for actual cash before the rug is pulled

Exactly this. The moment Tether starts imploding for good, people will try trading their tethers for anything else they can get. Bitcoin will probably surge temporarily as Tether circles the drain.

waydownLo
Oct 1, 2016
A senate committee is hearing testimony on Buttcoin today.

Here is the written testimony of one of the invited experts.

https://www.banking.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/Walch%20Testimony%207-27-21.pdf

I haven’t finished reading it myself, but the US government scrutinizing crypto is undeniably good for Buttcoin

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Amazon had a job posting for a "Digital Currency and Blockchain Product Lead" and in the description it said: "The Payments Acceptance & Experience team is seeking an experienced product leader to develop Amazon’s Digital Currency and Blockchain strategy and product roadmap."

Everyone in bitcoin land immediately decided that this clearly meant that Amazon was about to start accepting bitcoin immediately, and clearly hyperbitcoinization is imminent, and now is your very last chance to buy before the price reaches $1,000,000. And because the bitcoin market is so small, a few hundred suckers rushing in to buy is enough to cause the price to jump.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

coelomate posted:

Exactly this. The moment Tether starts imploding for good, people will try trading their tethers for anything else they can get. Bitcoin will probably surge temporarily as Tether circles the drain.

What you'll probably see is a split between exchanges that use Tether and exchanges that use actual money. Bitcoin will explode on places like Binance but plummet on places like Coinbase. Some people will try to pick up nickels from in front of the tumbling wreckage by arbitraging the exchanges only to get tripped up by massive transaction delays and the systems issues at that mysteriously pop up every time the price plummets.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Sometimes it seems like the rise of butt coins is a natural result of wealth inequality. Wealth is so absurdly consolidated and out of reach that people are over incentivized to adopt and seek out other forms of currency, since USD is basically put of reach for the majority of the population. The pool of potential bag hodlers is simply massive.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
The lack of anything safe or legitimate to invest in doesn't help either since the boomer crashes have kept interest rates bottomed out since forever

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
For being entirely digital and shadowed from major regulatory watching, Bitcoin arbitrage is curiously slow and any given moment you can already find stablecoins that are worth different from a dollar.

If people start needing to get out of a stablecoin and into something cash-like you could see a practical Bitcoin crash. In a tether example where the tether house of cards fall: in the midst of falling, tether prices on cash exchanges drop but it still trades a while under a dollar because people want to take a risk they can do something with it in the chaos. Crypto prices on exchanges based on tether shoot up as everyone treats tether as worthless in an exchange and want to get into a crypto to get off the boat. The bad part for Normal Crypto markets is you now have a ton of crypto holders who don't especially want to be. They sell to get into cash (or another stable coin god forbid) and this triggers a slide of the crypto price in real dollars which we would all expect not to hold because it was predicated on that tether exchange in the background and now confidence in even the dollar trading system is shaken pending pumps about Bitcoins being on sale now.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

people noticed this when the audit ended and the printers came immediately back on. besides the amazon news there was also a substantial tether pump ahead of the "tether execs accused of bank fraud" news

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Come on now folks, no need to help out Tether's PR by describing anything they've done as an "audit". There was no Tether audit, there is no Tether audit, there will be no Tether audit. (If I remember right, the NY AG mandated some limited reporting requirements for a certain period of time, and I think that's what people are confusing for an "audit". But I don't recall an actual financial statement audit being one of the NY AG's requirements.)

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
You can't audit something you can't find. Check mate, SEC. :smug:

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Binance reduces allowed Bitcoin withdrawls to nearly nothing because they are #1 in compliance, not because they are insolvent:

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

drk posted:

Binance reduces allowed Bitcoin withdrawls to nearly nothing because they are #1 in compliance, not because they are insolvent:

Weird how you can never pass advanced verification despite sending them your drivers license, passport, social security number, utility bills, and a picture dancing on one leg. If only the big banks were this tough!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

drk posted:

Sounds like funds are safe.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

We have definitely never seen this before, and have no idea what is about to happen.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Everything will be fine, they just really need to find Uncle Billy's newspaper.

e: Is there anything stopping Binance's customers from opening multiple accounts with, say, 0.01 BTC, then transferring 0.05 BTC each to the accounts and closing them?

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 27, 2021

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

do you think the dutch had to deal with loud assholes writing and aggressively distributing entire tedious books about how loving awesome tulip bulbs were?

so i posted your awesome quote and it turns out the answer is yes, because coiners are eternal

https://twitter.com/thacryp/status/1420118289594961926

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Truly nothing new under the sun.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Weird that Amazon was supposed to be the hyperbitcoinization event but no-one saying it was looked any further into it

Also the idea that daddy Bezos was the key to the whole thing (now that daddy Musk is too toxic even for bitcoiners) is just lol, these children are in such desperate need of an actually powerful person to approve of them

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Did anyone say buttulip yet?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
given how amazon has a problem with random string letter brands flooding their product pages, evem if I had some butts, i wouldnt want to risk getting some rip off poo poo.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

ikanreed posted:

Did anyone say buttulip yet?

Tulipbutt

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

bulbcoin

Somfin posted:

Weird that Amazon was supposed to be the hyperbitcoinization event but no-one saying it was looked any further into it

Also the idea that daddy Bezos was the key to the whole thing (now that daddy Musk is too toxic even for bitcoiners) is just lol, these children are in such desperate need of an actually powerful person to approve of them

Soroscoin?

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

drk posted:

Soooo... Binance death pool, anyone?

I'll start the wiki

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

kw0134 posted:

Truly nothing new under the sun.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

eNeRgY sToRaGe

gently caress, why don’t words mean anything anymore

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mercury_Storm posted:

The lack of anything safe or legitimate to invest in doesn't help either since the boomer crashes have kept interest rates bottomed out since forever

Isn't it a big problem that the super rich are bored as poo poo and throwing their money at Silicon Valley scams because they want something with ridiculous returns on investment, and there's an entire cottage industry around grifting them? Like the Theranos woman with the weird rear end speaking tone that's apparently specifically meant to appeal to crusty billionaires.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Isn't it a big problem that the super rich are bored as poo poo and throwing their money at Silicon Valley scams because they want something with ridiculous returns on investment, and there's an entire cottage industry around grifting them? Like the Theranos woman with the weird rear end speaking tone that's apparently specifically meant to appeal to crusty billionaires.
I had heard something like this is the case, although it was more about the tier between "you have probably heard of this guy's name and/or they're an oil oligarch" and "own a dealership/a successful medical practice/three Wendy's franchises." Those guys are desperate.

waydownLo
Oct 1, 2016

Ghost Leviathan posted:

well the guy who theorized an inevitable decline in the rate of return on invested capital was a dumbass who was clearly wrong, so I'm going to now give my capital to CZ

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

tehinternet posted:

eNeRgY sToRaGe

gently caress, why don’t words mean anything anymore

Read some physics bro, everyone knows that you when you expend energy to solve a math problem you can turn the solution you got back into energy by doing the problem backwards

Check it out:

5+5=10

Aagh my brain

10=5+5

Boom, feeling fine again

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The class of rich fucker that can fly private but doesn't own the plane is a huge target for grift.

And they keep getting richer because at that level of wealth you can have dozens of leeches stuck to your accounts and still accumulate wealth.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

LordSaturn posted:

people noticed this when the audit ended and the printers came immediately back on. besides the amazon news there was also a substantial tether pump ahead of the "tether execs accused of bank fraud" news
The Amazon news that they'd start accepting buttcoin was also false, Amazon put out an official statement saying they have no interest in taking cryptocurrencies.

Iirc they advertised wanting to hire someone with technical knowledge of blockchains, and coiner idiots interpreted that as "Amazon to start accepting bitcoin!!", but blockchains have other potential uses than just craptocurrencies.

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
Just gonna pop in a quick preemptive LOL for the inevitable crash and fallout from this current buttcoin rise.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o
The whole cryptocurrency as energy storage thing maybe the single dumbest thing to come out of the entire ecosystem.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's various opinions on if and how it's a problem for who, but we're starting to see the 401k doom and gloomers have a point (if your goal is entrepreneurial investment opportunities). Between the focus on 401k investment accounts as your retirement account and middle class investors doing any extra investing in unmanaged ETFs now, most legitimate securities are just owned by a few market maker ETF managing companies and the volume is them trading chits back and forth. You can't get into most legitimate securities without buying into the unofficial national retirement insurance fund in some way. So if you think you are an exceptional person who wants exceptional results you start looking in the margins: angel investing, startup buyouts, exotic derivatives, and I guess crypto now.

I should mention I think the 401k doom and gloomers are a broken clock here: it's bullshit our national retirement fund is held in securities this way but not because it makes it harder for rich people to play the legitimate securities markets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

is gme still a safe bet