Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I refuse to believe there are people raw fisting tinned fish. Mashing oil drenched fish bit covered fingers into the tin chasing the last scraps of fish, dripping their dignity all over the (I can only hope) soon to be rinsed sink. Its disgusting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I refuse to believe there are people raw fisting tinned fish. Mashing oil drenched fish bit covered fingers into the tin chasing the last scraps of fish, dripping their dignity all over the (I can only hope) soon to be rinsed sink. Its disgusting.

Ok.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I guess you can make it a challenge out of it but digging sardines out of the tin with a fork is all the work I’m willing to do

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I ate lemon canned matiz dines at a highway rest stop outside on a picnic table on crackers today instead of stopping for fast food.

Pretty happy with that. Gonna do that again.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Also I don't trust that can edge. It doesn't seem razor sharp but I've sliced myself on stupider things

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXz-bIMxzoE

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

You're supposed to dump the contents straight from the can into your mouth while hovering over the kitchen sink.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I get a chopped salad bag from Wegmans and put the sardines on top of that

then I eat it, likely with a fork

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Don’t dox me bro

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

jupiter brand mackerel is 100% the poo poo. some of the best packing oil ive ever tasted and the fish is light and flaky with a "fresh" flavor. cant recommend enough, they also package sardines im eager to try. according to tincan hes the only one with north american distribution rights.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
I eat a can of sardines a night with Tabasco all over em. Thank the creator for sardines.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

The Saucer Hovers posted:

jupiter brand mackerel is 100% the poo poo. some of the best packing oil ive ever tasted and the fish is light and flaky with a "fresh" flavor. cant recommend enough, they also package sardines im eager to try. according to tincan hes the only one with north american distribution rights.

yeah jupiter is pretty great. try the horse mackerel

i'd say my least favorite from that place is the Porthos sardines - as good as the tins are, the fish usually seems a little dry to me and some of the flavors (tomato especially) are extremely salty

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

i shouldve said i also tried the Manna mackerel which are packed with pickles, including onion which was a first for me. the flavor of the fish really shifts and its very good.

the Good Boy mackerel packed with lemon and thyme is perfect for salads but i wouldnt order it again.

also gonna shout out bar harbor wild herring in black pepper one more time. like candy for baby.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

The Saucer Hovers posted:

i shouldve said i also tried the Manna mackerel which are packed with pickles, including onion which was a first for me. the flavor of the fish really shifts and its very good.

the Good Boy mackerel packed with lemon and thyme is perfect for salads but i wouldnt order it again.

also gonna shout out bar harbor wild herring in black pepper one more time. like candy for baby.

Where did you get those Manna & Good Boy mackerels? I want to try those.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

tincanfish

mods plz no ban for shill

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
Can't believe I slept on mackerel for so long

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Mackerel is real good with hot sauce.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I grew up on mackerel (mainly pan-fried steaks) so I love its oily, fishy nature.

I think I'll look for some tinned mackerel next time I go to my neighborhood Asian supermarket.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Prof. Crocodile posted:

hello 'dine thread. it's been a while. i returned from africa recently, and picked up a couple of tins of mackarel from brands that i have never seen or heard of before.

prolly gonna try them out on crackers and/or tartine, but i am open to suggestions from the tinned fish experts itt.

Update: the lukus mackerel was delicious. it had a bright fresh color, firm flaky texture, and tasted strongly of fish with without being fishy. i ate it on crostinis, garnished with some picked carrots.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
'chovie eggs making the rounds on instagram. Do not salt them ahead of putting on your anchovies. hope this helps. i had my weekly salt intake this morning

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Are the anchovies mixed into the eggs?

If it was fried eggs on top of anchovies, I could see a touch of flaky salt on top to finish.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Android Apocalypse posted:

If it was fried eggs on top of anchovies, I could see a touch of flaky salt on top to finish.

It was just layin a big fattie over a sunny side up egg

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Android Apocalypse posted:

https://wildplanetfoods.com/recipes/fishermans-eggs/

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

https://twitter.com/kingoscar/status/1420865504311382018?s=20

Has anyone tried these yet? White vinegar and caper sounds amazing, but I could see it either being really good and the flavors have permeated the whole fish, or really bad and the fish is kind of overprocessed textured from sitting in brine for so long.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
IDK about no brusketta but I'd just put sardines on top of the avocado toast rather than moving it over. dines and guac are mmkiss

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I meant the new KO flavor, but I actually got my hands on some decent tomatoes today and maybe sardine bruschetta is tomorrow's lunch

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I meant the new KO flavor, but I actually got my hands on some decent tomatoes today and maybe sardine bruschetta is tomorrow's lunch

II was going to hit up the farmer's market on Sunday and grab tomatoes, so getting some sardines for a bruschetta sounds like a good idea…

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

These are the king of the dine, I have decided. Only three per tin, but they're massive.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
KO posted a link to this on their Facebook page

https://saboscrivner.com/2021/07/02/the-dines-list-canned-sardines-101/?fbclid=IwAR0uemR2PN5YGdSLbXAkBR92ADSrQLxLGvg0GfC05mFqlCq-y6ws8-92JT8

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I want those caper KOs. That’s right up my alley. Pretty happy with every I got tinned fishwise at Trader Joe’s today.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Has anyone tried these yet? White vinegar and caper sounds amazing, but I could see it either being really good and the flavors have permeated the whole fish, or really bad and the fish is kind of overprocessed textured from sitting in brine for so long.

I love vinegar and capers so I was already going to like it but these are probably my literal favorite canned fish I ever had

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

I've had two cans, wasn't impressed. Did not get a strong flavor from the capers and I think the vinegar made the fish tough.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

sexpig by night posted:

I love vinegar and capers so I was already going to like it but these are probably my literal favorite canned fish I ever had

LongDarkNight posted:

I've had two cans, wasn't impressed. Did not get a strong flavor from the capers and I think the vinegar made the fish tough.

fight! fight! fight! fight!

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Hot Diggity! posted:

These are the king of the dine, I have decided. Only three per tin, but they're massive.

Ocean State Job Lot once got in a few pallets of Roland Sprats and they kept me in canned smoked fish for a few months before they disappeared. I have enjoyed most of Roland's stuff that I've encountered.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I have been buying way more tins of mackerel lately than i have sardines. I really like the mackerel.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

LongDarkNight posted:

Yeah that was my worry. Its not like I don't have vinegar and capers and can dress my dines accordingly. I'm still going to try them though, I've got all these CONTEST WINNER coupons sitting on my table so I might as well.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Yea yea, that's me! But you didn't like it, right?

Since I just write this blog and don't use Instagram, I realize I'm never going to be any kind of "foodie" "influencer," especially since I review stuff like sardines and hospital food between my restaurant reviews. But I mostly just do it to share information about stuff I like, and to amuse myself.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jul 31, 2021

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Since I just write this blog and don't use Instagram, I realize I'm never going to be any kind of "foodie" "influencer," especially since I review stuff like sardines and hospital food between my restaurant reviews. But I mostly just do it to share information about stuff I like, and to amuse myself.

No I enjoyed reading your article! I think I was expecting a list of dines first time I went to your article so didn’t actually read it. My bad

Good stuff for dine newbies and enthusiasts alike! :coolfish:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I'm not really a dine guy but I read most of your article and really liked it! Very helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

this thread is one of the most wholesome spaces on the forums its great god bless the dine thread