Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

i think it happens a bunch, or at least ive heard about it more than once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

yeah, every now and then there is a story about it, usually about how they arrested the guy for it

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Ansible Adams posted:

this is a total shitpost but i wonder how many people have tried to ransomware their own employer. seems like if you were a disgruntled IT person with even a little knowledge of the network topology and worked at a company with poor security hygiene, itd be pretty easy to do. is that part of the traditional 'insider threat' threat model these days
1) don't poo poo where you eat
2) don't ransomware if you don't live in RU/NK

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

even if you live in russia, you’ll get popped very quickly if you ransomware an inappropriate target

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Ansible Adams posted:

this is a total shitpost but i wonder how many people have tried to ransomware their own employer. seems like if you were a disgruntled IT person with even a little knowledge of the network topology and worked at a company with poor security hygiene, itd be pretty easy to do. is that part of the traditional 'insider threat' threat model these days

No idea how often it actually happens, but it is certainly part of insider threat considerations.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I wonder how many Intel/Google/Microsoft/etc employees are honest-to-god chinese government spies.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Methanar posted:

I wonder how many Intel/Google/Microsoft/etc employees are honest-to-god chinese government spies.

they probably do too!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Methanar posted:

Me too. i'm sure that the people whose entire job is insider threats have some estimate, but people always seem a little shocked when i say stuff about there definitely being chinese, russian, etc spies in the org

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

it was rubi-con

i have never seen anyone reach for a trash can that urgently who wasn't inside their own home

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

fisting by many posted:

i have never seen anyone reach for a trash can that urgently who wasn't inside their own home

the motion blur fuckin sent me

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

What in the world warranted this?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol :canada:
https://twitter.com/dangoodin001/status/1419799335206752260

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Proteus Jones posted:

What in the world warranted this?

probably the fireworks people were lighting off inside the hotel

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
allegedly the biggest expense for the event (for the 4 years it lasted) was the bill for damages to the hotel

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I mean yeah, that's how OpenVPN works?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

allegedly the biggest expense for the event (for the 4 years it lasted) was the bill for damages to the hotel

thats how they get ya

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Mustache Ride posted:

Pretty sure it was HoHoCon, which is basically the same thing but in Houston

your mother runs a conference???

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

lol but also lol @ using a vpn for anything more than hiding your IP from hbo

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
Wait i had it on good authority from mister taviso that browsers are the best way to store passwords

https://threatpost.com/npm-package-steals-chrome-passwords/168004/

Ansible Adams posted:

Maybe but most people are loving terrible at crime, and it's something you can only do once before you become un-hire-able ever again or move to Russia

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Ansible Adams posted:

:henget: narc

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

No idea how often it actually happens, but it is certainly part of insider threat considerations.

:actually: junior narc

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Methanar posted:

🥇 gold narc has to go to this one though for the switcharoo. international snitch disinformation secures the win

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Methanar posted:

this was kind of the kickoff event from that show devs. Russian spy gets access to super secret program at some tech company, gets killed, and the show goes from there. I liked it a lot, super moody

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

ewiley posted:

Wait i had it on good authority from mister taviso that browsers are the best way to store passwords

once you're running exploited code locally i don't think anything is all that secure for password storage, the second you unlock your vault if it's being targeted it's game over

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
operating systems have the concept of secure memory and any decrypted passwords should be stored there and not to disk

anything else is clown poo poo for idiots (like web devs)

mystes
May 31, 2006

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

operating systems have the concept of secure memory and any decrypted passwords should be stored there and not to disk

Chrome isn't storing decrypted passwords to disk. This is running a program that decrypts them.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

"should" is doing a lot of heavy lifting there. a few years ago i remember reading that all the major pwm vendors did a poo poo job at it, hopefully they've improved.

i use a pwm (bitwarden these days) but i still assume if i get tricked into running a compromised executable i'm hosed

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

malware doesn’t have to hide execution if it can trick the user into doing it for them

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, as a matter of defense in depth it is good if passwords are not lying around, but as always you can assume that there's a hundred kinds of local privilege escalation in the wild at every point, and this is not even that firm a boundary.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

spankmeister posted:

I mean yeah, that's how OpenVPN works?
If you place an endpoint in a vulnerable location you might want to keep the private keys somewhere else and grab them at runtime.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

mystes posted:

Chrome isn't storing decrypted passwords to disk. This is running a program that decrypts them.

lmao this is even worse then.

chrome just keeps getting worse and worse.

mystes
May 31, 2006

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

lmao this is even worse then.

chrome just keeps getting worse and worse.
Huh? Unless you have a master password set, how do you expect a browser to protect passwords in a way that can't be decrypted by other programs? Chrome just does the minimum (using the appropriate windows API on windows) so you can't read the file by copying it to another computer or otherwise decrypt it without logging in with the users actual password.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

You all should really read this article

quote:

Using static analysis, researchers found the Win32.Infostealer.Heuristics file in several versions of the nodejs_net_server package. Its metadata showed that the file’s original name was “a.exe” and that it was located inside the “lib” folder. A single-letter filename with an extension like that raises a red flag to threat hunters, the researchers noted. Sure enough, a.exe turned out to be a utility called ChromePass: a legitimate tool used to recover passwords stored inside of a Chrome web browser.

chrunlee buffed up the nodejs_net_server package through 12 versions until finally upgrading it last December with a script to download the password-stealer, which the developer hosts on a personal website. It was subsequently tweaked to run TeamViewer.exe instead, “probably because the author didn’t want to have such an obvious connection between the malware and their website,” researchers theorized.

quote:

ReversingLabs analysts dug up a development “fun fact” when picking through nodejs_net_server code: Its author, chrunlee, not only authored a credential-stealer but also accidentally published their own, stored login credentials, cheek-to-jowl with the password grabber, opening the author themself up to attack.

“It appears that the published versions 1.1.1 and 1.1.2 from the npm repository include the results of testing the ChromePass tool on the author’s personal computer,” researchers observed. “These login credentials were stored in the ‘a.txt’ file located in the same folder as the password-recovery tool, named ‘a.exe’.”

Another fun fact: That text file has 282 login credentials captured from chrunlee’s browser, some of which may still be valid (ReversingLabs didn’t verify them). And, some of those credentials feature the lamest of lame passwords (“111,” for example) and user names (“admin,” anyone?).

ewiley fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jul 27, 2021

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ngl chrunlee is a p good username

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Shame Boy posted:

ngl chrunlee is a p good username

Same, I thought chrun was some obscure Unix command and that this was a pro tier choice.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Methanar posted:

that story about the twitter tech support guy being a saudi asset was cool

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

ewiley posted:

Maybe but most people are loving terrible at crime, and it's something you can only do once before you become un-hire-able ever again or move to Russia

that movie is exactly what made me think of it lol. perfect angle for a reboot

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i think there would be way more people who are unwitting or blackmailed co-operators of state actors than people who join companies with the express intent to be a spy (those definitely exist too).

in the end modern large scale software development almost always have a bunch of known gaps and it's just a matter of some dev pointing out where to start looking

which is why trainings are all about "no matter how silly or pointless the information may be, don't share it with random people"

mystes
May 31, 2006

If it's an actual government you're probably screwed anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

Then again, ransoming your own company could also make you rich