Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Jack Trades posted:

Also, Melty Blood (the game) is weird in the sense that more than half of the character slots are anime children or maids, but at the same time it's not that many unique characters.
That might be adding to confusion.

One of the characters in Melty Blood is just one of the main characters wearing her school outfit. The two versions play completely differently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

I've never really seen Melty Blood before but after two months of playing GG Strive there's a flatness to the backgrounds and UI in particular that makes it look unfinished to me. Although I guess pretty much any other game after Strive would seem that way.

I think both it and under night has a look that appeals to me greatly. It looks very i dont know. clean? elegant? I really like the backgrounds and ui in both is what im saying

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Gimme more wrangler jeans using giant goku beam kicks

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dave Matthews Big Fan! posted:

all the talk about melty's boring designs is so weird lmao, it feels like it came out of nowhere. the most popular fighting game guy ever wears a plain white gi and a headband. another one wears the same poo poo aoko does but with a vest and baseball cap. they all shoot cool fireballs out of their hands so who cares
like a lot of stuff one or two mildly popular or funny people made jokes about it and then a bunch of people just made that their entire opinion because they saw it on the internet

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the second factor i think is people are anime blind so they think aoko is also a schoolgirl and not like 30

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
To be fair I think people are exclusively looking at type lumina characters when talking about this, but I've seen people call Arcueid a school girl when she is uh very clearly wearing her own distinct outfit, so yeah a lot of that going on with even the TL roster.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

anime was right posted:

https://twitter.com/beanytuesday/status/1302380197560414211

melty blood is everything about the first character but in the visual design of the second

I wish Tekken characters were this plain, they're always too busy and they never look cool

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

wiggling out of upgrading the netcode, sega?
Heaven forfend

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Real hurthling! posted:

Heaven forfend

Might be a PM trying to get evidence to take to the the japanese devs that YES THEY GIVE A poo poo ABOUT NETCODE

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I wish Tekken characters were this plain, they're always too busy and they never look cool

This is something I really miss about the Tekken 2 designs. Almost every character had a "I'm here for a tournament, here is my martial arts garb" costume and a "I was just on my way to burger king and this biker with big hair wanted to throw down" costume and for the most part the street clothes costumes were pretty restrained

Virtua Fighter 5 is now my haven for boring dudes that just want to serve knuckle sandwiches

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Ohtsam posted:

Might be a PM trying to get evidence to take to the the japanese devs that YES THEY GIVE A poo poo ABOUT NETCODE

imagine a world where vf6 uses rollback but tekken 8 uses delay

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Real hurthling! posted:

Heaven forfend

You can tell they worded that question specifically to get a gauge on who actually knows what rollback is vs who's being directed to yell about it by Sajam or whoever

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fighting game thread v: i have no idea what netcode even is

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Ohtsam posted:

IIRC the VFe team in Japan definitely know about rollback, especially after Sega of America basically begged them to add it all throughout development. They just didn't have the time or resources to undergo the very-non-trivial task of implementing it in the old VF5 game code. I'm assuming this survey is one side of Sega or another trying to make the case that the work should be done for a post-release update.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Endorph posted:

fighting game thread v: i have no idea what netcode even is

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I know nothing about Melty Blood, but I do think a big reason these first couple designs feel so nothing to me is the lack of color. Just a block of blue is pretty unmemorable and doesn't exactly get me excited. A game like Persona 4 Arena for instance has multiple characters in their school uniforms, but they look good because of the personality they have, while a couple of these Melty Blood characters look pretty stiff.

Based on what else people have posted of the full casts of these games, it seems less like an issue of the game as a whole, and more the first handful of characters they've shown off. I'll probably try the game, but I do hope they end up showing off someone that gets me more excited.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

anime was right posted:

https://twitter.com/beanytuesday/status/1302380197560414211

melty blood is everything about the first character but in the visual design of the second

Last I checked, the lolita chainsaw robot was still in the game so I don't know what this guy is talking about.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
https://youtu.be/9V3O9dDj4Ck

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbf tsukihime's tone as a whole is much more stiff than persona 4's. it's got jokes but its mostly a lowkey mystery/psychological horror thing, its not exactly goofy hangout with the squad and have a good time thing. like shiki's design shows his personality, but his personality is a buttoned up, kind of stodgy guy who's forcibly repressing his damage and trying to blend into society. thats the reason his uniform is fully buttoned up versus a design like yu or kanji in p4, and why he doesn't have any character details like yosuke's headphones. him looking like a generic japanese schoolboy is the point.

like someone else said 'someone whos trying to look and act normal' is the entire motif of tsukihime as a story, so all the main characters look, like, normal. arc is trying to play goofy vampire girlfriend to hide her murderous side, ciel is like a two-layered thing where she's trying to play a serious vampire hunter who's trying to play a helpful upperclassman, kohaku and hisui are both trying to play silly maid/serious maid, akiha is trying to play prim and proper rich girl. so visually all their designs are very straightforward and standard because that's what they're trying to present to the world. it just got a fighting game because people liked it and it was a story where most of the cast can fight even if it isnt really an action shonen, and the fighting game got popular over time because the devs cared about it.

i can get thinking some of the designs are a little bland sure but the way people act like it's literally every design or that that's the same thing as 'actively bad' is weird.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 27, 2021

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The way some of you feel about Melty is the way I feel about Battle for the Grid, I just can't gel with the sentai designs at all.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The conversation is incredibly circular and tedious. No one who gives a poo poo about Melty Blood/Tsukihime doesn't know why the characters work and look good, the game has existed for 20 years and has had plenty of time to be found and talked about by people. The people who exist outside of this sphere are really the ones who say this stuff, but they're probably not gonna be swayed in general unless they for some reason actually play the game and never did any research on it so they just get floored by what's in it and come around. I think comparisons some people make to Persona are very uncharitable because they are by and large biased and also mirror the same stuff that was said about Persona back in the late 2000s before it became this massive name and just had its cult following, it's so weird that this keeps repeating. Guilty Gear and Blazblue went through the same poo poo, the formers fanbase also talking poo poo about the latters in a lot of cases too, but definitely people on the outside acting like both are too anime and out of control. Now that GG and BB are the successful anime games people are playing, it's Melty Blood's turn to get run through the ringer of bad internet discourse that popped up entirely out of nowhere, I guess. It's very frustrating to see it happen so consistently and no one ever learns.

At least the game is out in two months so it will be faster how awful Strive's was.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Well, since Ryougi probably isn’t coming back, I guess I can stick with the redhaired kick laser wizard in the Hank Hill attire

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
i dunno, aoko's outfit looks cool

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I did that VF survey. I didn’t do it to yell at them about netcode though. I mostly did it to tell them I thought this was a pretty okay release, that I’m glad it happened, and that I’d love to see more out of the franchise.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

man nurse posted:

I did that VF survey. I didn’t do it to yell at them about netcode though. I mostly did it to tell them I thought this was a pretty okay release, that I’m glad it happened, and that I’d love to see more out of the franchise.

same here, also to bring back quest mode

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Only Juggalos are permitted to select the last answer.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Wasn't there a guy, either here or reddit or twitter, who insisted that netcode isn't real

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

same here, also to bring back quest mode

:haibrow:

I did also ask about a PC port.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

if i ever make a fighting game i already have the character names picked out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFHlJ2voJHY

So we established that there's a coffee fighting game, but what about an 80s sci-fi themed fighting game? I guess Gundam Maxiboost would technically count but where's my phazors, time slipped cavemen and/or astronauts, and really bulky helmets?

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Veib posted:

Wasn't there a guy, either here or reddit or twitter, who insisted that netcode isn't real

Definitely here, it was one of the most baffling takes on netcode I've ever seen

He's right though, I mean I dare you to tell me the difference in online experience between Killer Instinct 3 and Mortal Kombat: Deception. You can't, because netcode doesn't exist

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Veib posted:

I think in a MK9 thread yeah. legendary

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm a something of a netcode solipsist.
Netcode is only as good as I think it to be.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
In this Behemoth Typhoon, Goldlewis gives you The Kiss of Death.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

man nurse posted:

I told them the replays on the main menu thing is real cool, because it is

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I appreciate Sega having a version of that survey for people who didn't buy VF5 that let me bitch at them for not releasing it on PC.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

kirbysuperstar posted:

It’s super cool but what really grinds my gears is if you’re offline that whole segment of the screen is just a grey box. I really wish it would just download a batch of replay data whenever it goes online so they will play next time you launch the game offline.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

kirbysuperstar posted:

Same

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

yeah ill catch myself watching those for too long here and there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!