Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I always felt like Topher Grace would have been the ideal Peter Parker (and, hell, not as a stunt casting nod to That 70's Show, but Laura Prepon would have been a great Mary Jane!) but as a kid, I was really annoyed that they cast him instead as, of all people, Eddie Brock since Brock is supposed to be this big muscle guy.

But then as an adult, looking back, when you see how much Spider-Man 3 sets up Brock as sort of just 'what if Parker was an rear end in a top hat?' and really plays up the comparisons between the two, where he's just this nerdy reporter except he has no scruples unlike Parker, having him be played by Grace makes a lot more sense and honestly is kind of inspired casting.

The movie is overall bad I feel, but ultimately it's biggest impression I think is just how uneven it is. It's funny as gently caress at times and its highs are pretty great, but its lows are bad and numerous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I always felt like Topher Grace would have been the ideal Peter Parker (and, hell, not as a stunt casting nod to That 70's Show, but Laura Prepon would have been a great Mary Jane!) but as a kid, I was really annoyed that they cast him instead as, of all people, Eddie Brock since Brock is supposed to be this big muscle guy.

But then as an adult, looking back, when you see how much Spider-Man 3 sets up Brock as sort of just 'what if Parker was an rear end in a top hat?' and really plays up the comparisons between the two, where he's just this nerdy reporter except he has no scruples unlike Parker, having him be played by Grace makes a lot more sense and honestly is kind of inspired casting.

The movie is overall bad I feel, but ultimately it's biggest impression I think is just how uneven it is. It's funny as gently caress at times and its highs are pretty great, but its lows are bad and numerous.

i assumed the casting was a nod to the then newer Ultimate Spiderman where Brock wasn't a big muscle guy

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I never really got into Ultimate Spider-Man, but yeah you may be right.
I never followed Ultimate much, as I just said, but was Marvel pushing it particularly hard and/or was it that popular at the time, though? Actually, wait, Marvel wasn't owned by Disney yet I know, but how involved were they with the films, anyway? Like could Marvel really have pressured Raimi/Sony to make it more like Ultimate than 616?

EDIT: Actually, as an aside, I just remembered. Raimi's biggest Spider-Man crime is hinting at the Lizard from the first film and never loving delivering.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

ultimate came out in 2000, had a high school peter, and he didn't use webslingers

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Spider-Man 3 is bad but I never got the hate it gets. People act like it's this complete loving trashfire like Amazing Spider-Man 2, X-Men 3 (either version) or Catwoman when it's not. It's just bad. Maybe it's because people liked the first two so much that their reaction was so much more hyperbolic, or because over-the-top internet criticism was kind of reaching its peak around then if I'm remembering the years right, but it always seemed off to me that people treated Spider-Man 3 like it killed their dog.

It was insanely boring so any hate it gets is justified. Being boring is the worst thing a movie can be

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

People forget all the bizarre James Franco acting. Like not just the pie being so good, but the montage where he makes an omelette that is apparently entirely improvised.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

christmas boots posted:

There are three good movies: Spiderverse, Spider-man 2, and Spider-man 3. 3 is good in a different way

What was good in 2?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Sunswipe posted:

What was good in 2?

It's pretty funny and cheesy but in an intentional, non-Marvel Studios way.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Sunswipe posted:

What was good in 2?

“Carefully, he’s a hero”

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sunswipe posted:

What was good in 2?

Dr Octopus steals money from a bank, and the money is in big burlap sacks with dollar signs on them.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

When Peter Parker is trying not to think about Mary Jane and he ends up walking past a bunch of posters with her face on them, with the final reveal that there are a comical amount where he is walking.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Sunswipe posted:

What was good in 2?

Literally every moment Alfred Molina is on screen.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

Hey, the Cider House Rules ruled.

Speaking of media that didn't age well, a film expecting us to feel sympathetic to a man who rapes and impregnates his own daughter as a subplot to teach the main character (who bangs his best friend's wife with no repercussions or judgement) a 'very important lesson' didn't age all that great.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Sunswipe posted:

What was good in 2?

Spider-Man was actually Spider-Man instead of Iron Man jr.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
There hasn't actually been a bad Spider-Man movie. In Amazing Spider-Man 2 when Electro is being made out of electric eel poisoning there's a shot of his tooth gap being fixed by it. Movie rules.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Len posted:

ultimate came out in 2000, had a high school peter, and he didn't use webslingers

He used webshooters. His dad started working on them iirc

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

tactlessbastard posted:

Dan Simmons' Endymion/Rise of Endymion, the protagonist is in his 20s when he meets and spends a lot of time with a 12 year old girl.

Shares a non platonic kiss when she is 16 and he is in his late twenties.

They are separated for several years

Starts a sexual relationship when she is in her early twenties and he is in his early thirties.

And then she dies and he lives on and due to time travel fuckery he then is able to marry her and have a child with her during the interregnum they were separated, so he is still advancing through his 30s and she was a teenager again.

I remember it being even a bit weirder than this because I think she had traveled back in time, or knew what would happen in the future and so this minor girl was even telling the guy like what would happen when they were married. It was an extremely awkward part of an otherwise cool series.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I never did get around to seeing Amazing 2, but ASM1 is definitely the worst of the others just for redoing the origin story again, but worse.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The below the line crew on Spider-Man took up a collection and offered Joe Mangienello $500 to accidentally knock him up

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Byzantine posted:

I never did get around to seeing Amazing 2, but ASM1 is definitely the worst of the others just for redoing the origin story again, but worse.

ASM1 is just a piss poor movie all around.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Toshimo posted:

So one of the actors is good and there's a couple of sight gags. I dunno, this isn't winning me over from my position of "This movie was boring as poo poo and a terrible representation of the characters." I think I might have fallen through a hole in reality from an alternate universe.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Spider-Man 3 is not an altogether horrible film, it's perfectly watchable. It is extremely frustrating though. So many sloppy writing decisions that were totally unnecessary except they had to fulfill certain studio mandates.

Easiest way to fix it? Make Harry Venom. There, I just saved you like a whole half hour of introducing this new character and giving him a reason to want revenge on Peter / Spider-Man in addition to Harry who wants the exact same thing. Oh but what about "New Goblin"? Yeah, what about him?

Spider-Man 2 is great and I feel like if you need an explanation, then the movie simply isn't for you. It's a very basic action movie, there's nothing you're missing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

poly and open-minded posted:

He used webshooters. His dad started working on them iirc

Man I should really remember that ):

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Sir Lemming posted:

Spider-Man 3 is not an altogether horrible film, it's perfectly watchable. It is extremely frustrating though. So many sloppy writing decisions that were totally unnecessary except they had to fulfill certain studio mandates.

Easiest way to fix it? Make Harry Venom. There, I just saved you like a whole half hour of introducing this new character and giving him a reason to want revenge on Peter / Spider-Man in addition to Harry who wants the exact same thing. Oh but what about "New Goblin"? Yeah, what about him?

Spider-Man 2 is great and I feel like if you need an explanation, then the movie simply isn't for you. It's a very basic action movie, there's nothing you're missing.

A big part really is just that Venom was shoehorned into the movie by executive mandate, and it shows.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I keep realizing i am the only one who likes amazing spider man 1 and 2. It's mostly because i have a massive crush on andrew garfield

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Benagain posted:

I keep realizing i am the only one who likes amazing spider man 1 and 2. It's mostly because i have a massive crush on andrew garfield

Nah same

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Benagain posted:

I think they get more hate than they deserve but at the same time I don't know who at Sony decided there needed to be some *conspiracy* about Peter's parents death. Like dude I don't give ONE gently caress about that give me webs and quips

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

duck trucker posted:

I think they get more hate than they deserve but at the same time I don't know who at Sony decided there needed to be some *conspiracy* about Peter's parents death. Like dude I don't give ONE gently caress about that give me webs and quips

IIRC there was a thing about that in the comics where the Red Skull was involved, but if you don't even have the rights to him yeah gently caress that.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

SmokaDustbowl posted:

in the arnold movie Red Heat the intro to the movie is a bathhouse full of muscular dudes with a couple naked women. you know someone on set was like "this turned out so gay, we have to add some naked boobies"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO9DHefH5ng

this is from several pages ago, but it did remind me of a discovery i came across fairly recently late into adulthood. growing up as a cis hetero male, i was given the impression that the bodybuilder physique like arnold's (particularly in that clip. like holy poo poo, he looks like a goddamned greek god :monocle: ) was the ideal body type. the kind that women would see as the perfect male specimen.

but then i learned that women actually um....DON'T like that kind of body for the most part. i read this study and it had like 5 body types (or 6?), with the heads cut off. the skinniest was chistian bale's character in the machinist, brad pitt from fight club, some MMA guy who had more muscle than brad but also quite a bit more flab all over (kind of a dad body really) and finally a bodybuilder (which i think was frank zane, but you could replace him with any bodybuilder really). before reading the study, i figured the body builder would easily crush the competition. how accurate was i? not even close lol. the bodybuilder himself got crushed and got a mere 2% of the vote from women. the physique that women preferred went (probably not surprising now in retrospect) to brad pitt, with something insane like 78% iirc. the only person the bodybuilder beat was christian bale's character at a pathetic 1% (which itself leads to some interesting questions btw...)

poo poo totally blew my mind. and to add some anecdotal data, all my lady friends i asked said pretty much the same thing. pretty shocking for me, but on the plus side, i guess it's nice cause that means i don't have to spend 5-10 years at the gym to get that arnold look anymore. :c00l:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t think people hate ASM they seemed to just have got immediately forgotten

It was honestly impressive

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Even as a teen I got the feeling that the bodybuilder Arnie look was what men did to impress each other rather than what women were actually interested in, just based on what evidence I actually had, and it still checks out. Kinda funny and sad how male ideals of vanity were- and are- so wildly disconnected from what women are actually interested in for decades.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Arnie wasn’t meant for ladies

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yeah, I don't think Arnold was ever meant to be a fantasy of male beauty, straight or otherwise. He's a power fantasy. In the logic of his movies, women are attracted to him because of what he can do to other men (anything he wants) rather than because they find his gigantic lats pleasing--when women are present at all, that is.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Gym people (like, serious gym people, competitive fitness people) are weird. They aren't doing it to look attractive, they're doing it for themselves / other gym people.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Gym people (like, serious gym people, competitive fitness people) are weird. They aren't doing it to look attractive, they're doing it for themselves / other gym people.

That’s hosed

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Why? Is there some rule that you must do things to attract other people and not because you want to?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Toshimo posted:

I love his delivery at the end: "Peter Parker....brilliant but lazy :D"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
And people are surprised that body-building was super super gay until the late 80s.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Megillah Gorilla posted:

And people are surprised that body-building was super super gay until the late 80s.

in retrospect, something like he-man makes a LOT more sense now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

What a weird thing to say.

Like, is it ok for me to learn piano if I'm not doing it to perform? Is that alright?