Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Bob Odenkirk collapsed

https://consequence.net/2021/07/bob-odenkirk-hospitalized/?fbclid=IwAR25-eAqUTbiKq10bw7siQqlDVSmaBlJunXfav1Y-8hOuV3mOvvH17whQE8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Watch the third movie, please.

I was going to anyway because I figured there was probably an explanation for that. I was just kind of taken aback because it was so unsubtle and I wasn't sure if it was doing a "gently caress the rich" or if it was doing a Craig Zahler but someone else I was talking to about this said that I need to watch the third film. I also didn't know these were hard R movies, I was expecting an Are You Afraid of the Dark? kind of thing. And then in the first ten minutes of 1994 I was like :stare:. I was thinking that if I watch a movie tonight it'll be non-Fear Street.

STAC Goat posted:

Plan is to rewatch Part 2 tonight and do Part 3 tomorrow. I wanted to revisit them all together as one big story and rewatched Part 1 last night which is why the very obvious bluntness of that race/class thing is fresh in my mind.

Yeah I just thought about it and after looking back at the first part it seems a lot clearer what they're doing with it. Apparently these were supposed to be released in theaters but it didn't happen for obvious reasons. That would have been kind of cool.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Also I’m not sure if this is common knowledge but 1666 comprises about 2/3rds of the 3rd movie, at which point it switches to 1994: Part 2

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

What is up Satan's rear end? All he wants to do is gently caress us up, the dick-licker.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Oh no :(

feedmyleg posted:

gently caress. The new Blade Runner: Black Lotus trailer looks terrible. Nothing at all like Blade Runner outside of a dark rainy city filled with neon, just some generic cyberpunk action anime. Hopefully it was just a bad trailer that felt like it needed to sell the series on action and isn't representative, but... I am not holding out hope.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCZZ_DEOOhg

20 years ago we got a Blade Runner TV series but they called it Total Recall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahNgjVcq4sA

Now we're getting a Battle Angel Alita TV series but they're calling it Blade Runner.

I guess we know what the next step is.

It looks fine? I mean it looks a bit more kid-focused than 1 or 2 or ATC and it's going for that Stranger Things Nostalgia vibe hard, but it's pretty well put together and the child actors seem pretty good and Paul Rudd is fulfilling the charming marvel movie man quota.

With all that ATC took from The Real Ghostbusters, I wonder how much this is taking from Extreme Ghostbusters, especially with the handing down the legacy premise.

https://twitter.com/notnoiseworks/status/1419117049935138823

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Crosspost from the D&D UK thread but I felt some of you would get a kick out of it:

https://twitter.com/ScarredForLife2/status/1419954481236688910

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I love it. I shall carry the torch forwards by linking it in the OSHA thread in GBS.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

u brexit ukip it posted:

Crosspost from the D&D UK thread but I felt some of you would get a kick out of it:

https://twitter.com/ScarredForLife2/status/1419954481236688910

Fireman Sam looks on grimly.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Grendels Dad posted:

Fireman Sam looks on grimly.

Just another normal day in Pontypandy.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I like the clips from a film that all have a ominous hooded figure, presumably a personification of Death, lurking in the background.

More PSAs should have a sinister supernatural presence.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ9f378T49E

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Wow.

“Gays and IV drug users.”

The past was very cringe.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I’m obsessed with the opening to 1992 cop drama “The Hat Squad”

https://youtu.be/DxUUNLvCQtQ

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Geekboy posted:

Wow.

“Gays and IV drug users.”

The past was very cringe.

Before other people started catching it, it was called GRIDs instead of AIDS. Gay Related Immune Disorder.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Skwirl posted:

Before other people started catching it, it was called GRIDs instead of AIDS. Gay Related Immune Disorder.

Oh, I’m aware. I remember that transition as it went from something Reagan’s Press Secretary made jokes about to “wait - a straight, white boy caught it from a blood transfusion OH NOOOOO.”

It’s just jarring to hear someone go all THE GAYS.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Geekboy posted:

Oh, I’m aware. I remember that transition as it went from something Reagan’s Press Secretary made jokes about to “wait - a straight, white boy caught it from a blood transfusion OH NOOOOO.”

Early in the AIDS crisis the only person in the regular white house press pool who asked about it worked for a hyper conservative religious paper and he was generally just bringing up normal poo poo like "hey this is a lot of sick and dying people, shouldn't you do something about it" not trying to do the "this is a plague visited by God on sinners" thing that became common the longer it went on. And both the White House press secretary and other reporters in the pool were like "why do you care? Are you gay or something?"

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
We just watched an excellent recent limited series called It’s A Sin, set among the gay community in the UK as AIDS arrives. It’s really good and worth watching.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

therattle posted:

We just watched an excellent recent limited series called It’s A Sin, set among the gay community in the UK as AIDS arrives. It’s really good and worth watching.

Did it show up in the UK at about the same time as in America? I can't imagine the Thatcher government was better than the Reagan one about it and I literally don't know the names of any British PMs between Thatcher and Tony Blair, let alone what party they belonged to.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Skwirl posted:

Did it show up in the UK at about the same time as in America? I can't imagine the Thatcher government was better than the Reagan one about it and I literally don't know the names of any British PMs between Thatcher and Tony Blair, let alone what party they belonged to.

It lagged a bit. The government here was about as bad. Watch it. It’s very, very good.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Rewatching Jackie Chan movies, Rumble in the Bronx isn't as good as I remember it (though the hovercraft is great) and First Strike is better than I remember it

First Strike has the sort of 90s loose nukes and the fall of the soviet union thing going on that feels more timely than ever, especially when the KGB/GRU guys turn out to just be Russian mafia, and the whole aquarium finale is really ambitious, even if you can't really do martial arts underwater, the fake shark is as endearing as the seal hat, also 2Fast2Furious totally ripped off the ending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKRniQw631c&t=151s

Rumble has the really inventive playground equipment brawl but it feels like a second movie just takes over halfway through also the violence is really out of wack and you can really tell it's Australia and not, you know, The Bronx.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTnzx7SDsWg

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Rumble in the Bronx kicks rear end because the violence is absurd, it takes place in fantasy America, and it morphs into an insane setpiece blockbuster in its final act.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

A second plane has collided with the Odenkirk.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Not out of the woods yet, but hopeful news!

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1420517903456165891

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I have no words.

Geekboy posted:

Alzheimer's is a terrible, terrible thing to happen to someone and I can honestly say that I'd rather die than live through it. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. So I'm glad Ronald Reagan had it. Even that was too good for him.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Anonymous Robot posted:

I’m obsessed with the opening to 1992 cop drama “The Hat Squad”

https://youtu.be/DxUUNLvCQtQ

This is very weird. It feels like the sort of thing you’d half remember from a dream. Or like the start of a rejected bit from I Think You Should Leave.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Pig is excellent. This stretch of Nic Cage movies have been great. Excellent performances, great cinematography, just well done. Some great moments of acting such as in the restaurant. Also it is John Wick but it’s not an action movie and Nic Cage has a different set of skills.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

can anyone actually load the film review index thread? it's too long

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Mantis42 posted:

can anyone actually load the film review index thread? it's too long

It's giving me issues too. I'll bring it up to Astral.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Skwirl posted:

I saw a science for dummies video about the best guess at the whole history of HIV which was pretty interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izwomieBwG0

loving Belgians

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jul 29, 2021

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I'm so fuckin sick of the Ghostbusters at this point. Like, let's just never stop talking about Caddyshack for forty years straight. Hot drat they recreated the gopher from Caddyshack - again! We're now on our eleventh gopher cameo referencing Caddyshack.

it's not even out yet

chill

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Why do we have a second, smaller movie forum inside the main movie forum?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Gripweed posted:

For covid social distancing compliance within theaters

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Gripweed posted:

Because some posters wanted a version of CineD that was less intellectual, ie. one in which SMG doesnt post.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Samuel Clemens posted:

Because some posters wanted a version of CineD that was less intellectual, ie. one in which SMG doesnt post.

Not many, since there's like five threads in that entire forum that have had any posts in them this month.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Samuel Clemens posted:

It's always been the oddest thing, because I don't identify as "intellectual" or "academic" at all.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

We should talk about movies in the movie forum.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Samuel Clemens posted:

I love this idea that CineD is full of boring pretentious windbags when half the time we're talking about monster movies or something like that and one of the forum favorites is Blade.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's always been the oddest thing, because I don't identify as "intellectual" or "academic" at all.

On at least one occasion I believe you've mentioned that you've read a book. A BOOK!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

My personal view is that it's hard to appreciate film as a medium without also having an appreciation for genre films.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Roth posted:

My personal view is that it's hard to appreciate film as a medium without also having an appreciation for genre films.

I will go a step further and say that the only good films are genre films, and the only good genres are horror and crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I will go a step further and say that the only good films are genre films, and the only good genres are horror and crime.

This seems like several steps, or perhaps you are very tall