Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

explosivo posted:

I'm getting annoyed with OMD3 sooner than I did with the last one :(

The levels where you have to fight two fronts at the same time just frustrate the poo poo out of me.

I love defense games like this but only when they let me actually have enough money to have fun. I get tired of ‘puzzle in disguise’ defense games where there are only a few combinations that seem to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
This post has been a long time coming, but recently I became a Grandmaster in a little game known as Chess Into the Breach.

It only took 66 hours! What a bargain for this title!!!

And this was all thanks to a little SA poster here who calls himself Mescal, who gifted me this little gem back in May.

Well gently caress you buddy (but really a big THANK YOU!), because I lost countless hours (well, 66 hours according to Steam) of my procrastination time (which is always in short supply, despite my high demand for it) which obviously could've been better spent on doing procrastination things, but instead it was being spent flexing parts of my brain I didn't know I had, ugh. It may have even damaged some parts too... as for a time I couldn't stop thinking about this game... It was like I was the Mechs... could feel all the bug blood, oh God... not to mention all those cold sweat waking nightmares of me ruining countless cities with giant stormy gas clouds depriving all the little children of their sunlight... forever... lawl! (anyway, I'll know later on that once I hear back from the CT scan results, so maybe expect the bill? (kidding I'm Canadian)).

But seriously this game is a masterpiece, seemingly so simple by the looks of things, and kinda is, yet also super incredibly deep. This game has blew my mind more ways then once in situations where I felt I was "stuck" and doomed, only to think on the "puzzle" for a bit (Pro tip: works better when you think in reverse), then BAM, a better move was just realized, BOOM, HEADSHOT, VICTORY!

This game is easily my 2021 GOTY (I can do that right?), but also my biggest disappointment of the year because this is peak perfection of a game and now I know it'll never be topped by some other copycat clone that I wish existed to fill this now void I'm left feeling since the developer apparently hates money and doesn't do any DLC for it.

So yeah, long time coming post here, just wanted to shill a great game, and to thank Mescal once again for it way back in May.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Xander77 posted:

Oh hey. This might interest you:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1344004664

Also, this mod apparently fixes friendly AI so that your allies get on the loving control point.

Fun fact - they don't actually throw the grenade. It teleports directly to your location.

I'm thinking that SRP mod turned grenades off altogether (or broke them), I haven't had one tossed at me yet. I'll have to check things. It certainly didn't fix the ai not doing their jobs though, I stood around at the point to warp to Cordon waiting for them to take the drat thing so I could go lol

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Hey Im_Special, I am absolutely delighted that you had fun with the game. I'm lucky that you happened to be the person who jumped on it! I have a lot of time in that game but I haven't gotten close. What does the "old friend" pilot do? Maybe you can give me some tips. Who's your favorite team? I like fire bois. Favorite custom team? You might like Wargroove, which is more chess, but the boards were too big for my preference.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh poo poo, HighFleet just released! Zero fanfare or anything, guy's clearly not got a publisher got Micropose publishing him, makes sense =/ The dev's previous title some might remember (HammerFight) had an awful lot of Russian-jank in it, but will pick it up later today and see if it delivers, seems like a labour of love.

edit: what's wrong with my bookmarks how did I miss like 2 pages of discussion on it

Serephina fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jul 28, 2021

Orv
May 4, 2011

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Was looking at deathloop on GMG as it's $47, and saw this:

and the game's steam page says this:

I thought I heard the bethesda launcher was gone but guess not. how much of a pain is it?

Mordja is correct, Bethesda accounts are just a thin middleware client now for Steam games. That said, it is a little odd that they list it specifically that way.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

wafflemoose posted:

tbh i'd rather just save my money and just emulate the originals, they always mess up with these remakes/remasters.

on the other hand

https://twitter.com/FinalFantasy/status/1420112001859260420

I am a mark and this probably tipped me over

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Yes, Into the Breach is absolutely fantastic, and if you don't own it, you should buy it.

Like right now.

Like right this second, you assholes. :doit:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

oh my god Highfleet is insanely cool. The briefing for the main campaign, after you finish the tutorial, is terrifying. Don't give anyone a chance to send the alarm up about your fleet or else you'll have ships packing nuclear missiles tearing after you, also look out for aircraft carriers, their ranges are: *huge red circles pop up all over the map*. Time to read this manual.

also I didn't really get the point behind the lunar lander minigame until I was landing ships that were all shot up, and by landing I mean shearing their landing gears off and pancaking them into the ground, leaving them in even worse condition than they already were.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jul 28, 2021

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Was looking at deathloop on GMG as it's $47, and saw this:

and the game's steam page says this:

I thought I heard the bethesda launcher was gone but guess not. how much of a pain is it?

Steam versions of Bethesda.net games (Rage 2, Doom Eternal and Wolfenstein Youngblood) do not include the Bethesda.net launcher, but there is a mandatory login with a Bethesda.net account at the start. It'll probably be the same way here, so if you buy Deathloop on Steam you need a Bethesda.net account but you will not need the launcher.

The launcher is needed for keys outside Steam.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Christ, what trash. Might as well just pirate the things to avoid that rigamarole.

Orv
May 4, 2011
What

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
you heard him

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Didn’t Arkane’s Prey have mediocre sales? Launcher nonsense shouldn’t keep you from supporting one of the coolest studios working in AAA today I think

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Dishonored and Prey were both solid enough that Arkane has earned a spot on my short list of "auto-buy without even looking at reviews" developers, I'll log into some dumb account if I have to

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Joe Man posted:

you heard him

Just type a thing in, good lord.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Orv posted:

Just type a thing in, good lord.
if i wanted to do that i'd buy typing of the dead overkill

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Ghostlight posted:

if i wanted to do that i'd buy typing of the dead overkill

Wow, hey, we wouldn't threaten you with a good time.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Pirating games is just as much work and just as sketchy as installing janky launchers that need accounts.

I just don’t buy games that need :effort: to install and launch. Not because of principles or a boycott, it’s literally the laziest solution when there are so many games being released that I’ll never get around to playing everything I want.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Then buy it through Steam. If you want to cancel it connecting to Bethesda once in-game for MP loot boxes or whatever, then click the cancel button.

How does barely anyone understand how this poo poo works by now

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Fruits of the sea posted:

Pirating games is just as much work and just as sketchy as installing janky launchers that need accounts.

I just don’t buy games that need :effort: to install and launch. Not because of principles or a boycott, it’s literally the laziest solution when there are so many games being released that I’ll never get around to playing everything I want.
:same:

Also it's another login and password to juggle and another megacorp you've granted expressed permission to junk up your spam folder.

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

Also I'd avoid the Bethesda.net version because Microsoft bought them a while back. There's a chance that MS will move the Bethesda.net purchases to Microsoft Store (aka Windows Store) in the future and that thing has bigger problems than just being another launcher. It installs games into a hidden locked folder you can't modify and works like a console-style closed platform where modding is prohibited.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
e. Wrong thread.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The Joe Man posted:

Then buy it through Steam. If you want to cancel it connecting to Bethesda once in-game for MP loot boxes or whatever, then click the cancel button.

How does barely anyone understand how this poo poo works by now

Yeah, works most of the time. Steam has a little disclaimer for the apps that still require a 3rd-party launcher. Plus there’s a grace period for refunds.

Not that I’m a fan of steam’s UI, but at least I’m familiar with it (and posting in the steam thread :v:). 10 years younger and I would probably be posting the same poo poo in a thread about Epic instead lol

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Superanos posted:

Steam versions of Bethesda.net games (Rage 2, Doom Eternal and Wolfenstein Youngblood) do not include the Bethesda.net launcher, but there is a mandatory login with a Bethesda.net account at the start. It'll probably be the same way here, so if you buy Deathloop on Steam you need a Bethesda.net account but you will not need the launcher.

The launcher is needed for keys outside Steam.

I actually have no memory of this in doom eternal so if deathloop on steam will be the same situation then that’s fine. shame about the GMG key though.

After arkane’s track record with dark messiah, dishonored 1 + 2 and prey 2017, I’ll just buy their poo poo sight unseen until they actually manage to put out a bad game.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jul 28, 2021

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I actually have no memory of this in doom eternal so if deathloop on steam will be the same situation then that’s fine. shame about the GMG key though.

After arkane’s track record with dark messiah, dishonored 1 + 2 and prey 2017, I’ll just buy their poo poo sight unseen until they actually manage to put out a bad game.

It’s been a few weeks since I played Doom Eternal but when you load the game, a prompt briefly pops up saying it’s logging in to Bethesda.net, and then the game goes through the usual splash loading screens.

Sometimes my connection would drop and I’d lose connection to Bethesda.net, and it would warn me about it, but I’d still be able to play the game.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Khanstant posted:

Maybe just because a bow makes more sense and is less like just pointing & clicking on 3d models to shoot them. You have to draw, consider arc, projectile travel time, etc.

There are lots of fps guns that are more than point-n-click.
flak cannons, rocket launchers, bfgs....
modern warfare 4 ruined fpses for a long time by turning every weapon into a generic assault rifle

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.famitsu.com/news/202107/28228409.html

It was easy enough to infer, but Sony outright states here they acquired Nixxes to assist with porting their games to PC

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Hub Cat posted:

what kind of a gamer are you if you didn't immediately print it out and staple it together

I'm actually thinking of doing that, I hope my work doesn't catch me for wasting materials

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm hoping The Ascent is good and it looks real slick and it comes out tomorrow, but there's a strange lack of details on the game. Like, I know it's a full on ARPG with skill trees and abilities and augments and cyberdecks but there doesn't seem to be a lot of granular info on stuff like, what type of weapons are there, how do you actually get new abilities, etc.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Mordja posted:

I'm hoping The Ascent is good and it looks real slick and it comes out tomorrow, but there's a strange lack of details on the game. Like, I know it's a full on ARPG with skill trees and abilities and augments and cyberdecks but there doesn't seem to be a lot of granular info on stuff like, what type of weapons are there, how do you actually get new abilities, etc.

Better to find out yourself eventually! Too many previews is actually one of the things I don't really like about modern games media. Besides you'll at least know if people like it by the end of the day tomorrow.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1420431014975913994?s=19

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Mordja posted:

Oh that's on Gamepass, i'll check it out then. Superb value, only continues to grow

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
So some ex Arkane people are making a weird west game, inventively called Weird West.

https://www.ign.com/articles/weird-west-first-look-preview-ex-dishonored-prey-devs-latest-is-a-delightfully-odd-western

It's apparently an im-sim disguising as a top-down ARPG and I am extremely wishlisting it.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Bam, wishlisted

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Nordick posted:

So some ex Arkane people are making a weird west game, inventively called Weird West.

https://www.ign.com/articles/weird-west-first-look-preview-ex-dishonored-prey-devs-latest-is-a-delightfully-odd-western

It's apparently an im-sim disguising as a top-down ARPG and I am extremely wishlisting it.

Hell yes

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Weird west is cool and underused.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Dyson Sphere Program is what Anno 2205 wanted to be, a seamless multi-map construction game with a more Factorio-like twist on things. In DSP, you re-enact the plot to Half-life 2: Episode 3 and create the titular Dyson Sphere, with custom orbits and layers. For that, you'll need to exploit the resources on your starting planet, and then eventually on the planets within the entire cluster (we're talking somewhere north of 20 planets). There's something incredibly satisfying about plunking down your first array of EM Ejectors and, over time, seeing a giant ring of solar sails orbiting the sun. I'm about 30 hours into it and still barely scratching the surface of its complexity.

I can't say how the game stacks up to other games of this type, including Factorio, as I haven't really played any of them aside from Mindustry (which is excellent). However, the game already feels more than worth its asking price in its Early Access state. It's also an excellent podcast game.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Nordick posted:

:popeye: Wishlisted.

Now the real question is, will this let you access a debug room by stacking crates up to jump into a chimney in the starting zone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm still just a few hours into Death's Door and it is fantastic, but for one major, dealbreaking issue. Your crow looks more like a magpie than a crow.