Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I still hate the gremlin nob the most. He almost never kills me, but he frequently fucks over my runs so bad something else does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

trucutru posted:

Dark Shackles will block 18 or 30 damage for zero mana in that fight. I don't know about you but in my book that's drat good.

You can always start runs until you get snecko eye. Then let gecko Jesus take the wheel. Ironclad with its expensive cards and exhaust engine is probably the easiest in this case.

dont they have multiple artifact stacks that block dark shackles?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Verviticus posted:

Yeah but outside of defect most of my decks tend to be pretty good at stripping artifact charges.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Zore posted:

Yeah but outside of defect most of my decks tend to be pretty good at stripping artifact charges.

Yeah,, plus they attack for less in the early rounds while I'm still pinging away at the charges

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

GlyphGryph posted:

I still hate the gremlin nob the most. He almost never kills me, but he frequently fucks over my runs so bad something else does

That's Lagavulin for me. Probably my hardest fight in Act 1. And the slime gang.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Verviticus posted:

Sure but you should be removing those artifact stacks as soon as possible anyways. The thing about dark shackles is that it is one of the best multi-hit mitigation in the game, so you want to have it for the heart anyways.

As for tough bosses and poo poo I'm pretty sure the G. Nob and Lagavulin have the most kills in the game, those assholes are not kidding around.

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

you talkin' to me Sheriff?

oh... I thought you was talkin' to me.

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS
Good colorless card discussion that I was happy to start.

I’ve been just trying low level runs with silent… trying various colorless cards. I had two secret technique cards on one run and I thought that was pretty good. Could call up leg sweep when needed, bouncing flask when needed, blur when needed, etc.

To finish time eater I actually used one secret technique card to summon the other secret technique card. I think I saw him crying.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Me: Finally reached Ascension 15, how bad could Unfavourable Events be?

Act 2: Hey do you want to lose half your health for 3 Apparitions!

Me: Yes please! *slam pick

Me:

Me, two battles later: ...wait how many apparitions again

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

The real bitch about Nob is how he turns half your deck into liabilities. More than any other elite, he requires specific card choices to beat meaning that just the fact that he exists significantly shapes your deck.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Nob at least serves a purpose in that he teaches you to prioritize attacks. Also he can possibly do relatively weak attacks for his first couple of turns.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
Good thing both r in act 1 and not later.. doesnt take long to go thru act 1 again

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Walla posted:

Nob at least serves a purpose in that he teaches you to prioritize attacks. Also he can possibly do relatively weak attacks for his first couple of turns.

Up until Asc... 17? I wanna say when he gets the 'gently caress you' attack pattern locked in. :v:

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Today I learned that if you play Vault as the 12th card against Time Keeper, you bypass the forced end turn. Woot woot!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
So what difficulty do people prefer to play on? Do you always play on the hardest one you have unlocked? Or do y'all tend to float around?

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

The Glumslinger posted:

So what difficulty do people prefer to play on? Do you always play on the hardest one you have unlocked? Or do y'all tend to float around?

I'm just doing the dailies, A20 custom games and, a bit of Downfall mod.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Walla posted:

Yeah, basically the Nob and Lagavulin are there to force players to put some attacks you wouldn't normally pick for the long run at the very start of the game. Which one reason the Watcher is so good, she can deal with them with her default deck. Meanwhile the poor Silent starter deck has no way to deal with Lagavulin.

Without those 2 dudes players could be more picky about what to put in their deck at the start which would make the later game much easier.

The Glumslinger posted:

Hardest possible as default but sometimes I run Ascension 1 (extra elites) to try weird poo poo. Had great dun the other day with a masochist ironclad deck. Break yourselves upon my body indeed.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I'm still unlocking ascensions, but everyone except Ironclad is on the highest unlocked. I just don't enjoy IC so I play him on A0 while I'm still trying to get a Heart kill with him. I've done it with everyone else.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Artelier posted:

Today I learned that if you play Vault as the 12th card against Time Keeper, you bypass the forced end turn. Woot woot!

No, you don't - your turn just ends anyway and you go to your extra turn. It's still a good thing to do, mind.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Walla posted:

I'm still unlocking ascensions, but everyone except Ironclad is on the highest unlocked. I just don't enjoy IC so I play him on A0 while I'm still trying to get a Heart kill with him. I've done it with everyone else.

A1 is easier since you can hit more elites

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Jedit posted:

No, you don't - your turn just ends anyway and you go to your extra turn. It's still a good thing to do, mind.

No, they're right. If you play Vault as the twelfth card it skips Time Eater's buff and counterattack and resets the count. It's one of the easiest ways to shut him down as the Watcher.

Chaotic Flame posted:

A1 is easier since you can hit more elites

Fair enough. I just can't seem to get Ironclad to work for me and it's getting frustrating.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

trucutru posted:

Hardest possible as default but sometimes I run Ascension 1 (extra elites) to try weird poo poo.

This exactly. 99% of the time it's A20 Hearts, and the other 1% is when I went to relax, click on cards, and pop elite piñatas, so ascension 1 is more fun than ascension 0.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

It is once again time to gather around and laugh at the absolute fool who finally built a functional Omega deck and then forgot he needed to take the guaranteed chest key in act 3.

At least it wasn't A20 yet, but still, I've never been so disappointed to completely destroy Time Eater.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Walla posted:

No, they're right. If you play Vault as the twelfth card it skips Time Eater's buff and counterattack and resets the count. It's one of the easiest ways to shut him down as the Watcher.

It stops the counterattack, but the counterattack is just an artifact of your turn automatically ending with the 12th card. Time Eater doesn't get an extra turn. I'm fairly sure that it still gets the buff, too, but it's been a while since I played Watcher.

Lifecoach has gone on long-term hiatus from streaming as of yesterday - I wasn't around for most of it, but I'd wager it's got something to do with him turning 40 next week - but he finished the first 50 Ironclad games with a 72% win rate.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

No, the 12 turn counter resets to 0, and when I played cards in my new turn, it started at 1, 2, 3, etc. again.

Luckily I had 2 Vaults and ways to Retain them!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Artelier posted:

No, the 12 turn counter resets to 0, and when I played cards in my new turn, it started at 1, 2, 3, etc. again.

Yes? I never said it didn't.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Are you being pedantic and/or mysterious? What is the actual difference between bypass the turn and "preventing the counterattack"?

Play 12 cards normally - Time Eater force ends the turn, and will do the action that they have over their head
Play 11 cards, Vault - Time Eater doesn't get to force end the turn, doesn't get strength buffs

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Artelier posted:

Are you being pedantic and/or mysterious? What is the actual difference between bypass the turn and "preventing the counterattack"?

Play 12 cards normally - Time Eater force ends the turn, and will do the action that they have over their head
Play 11 cards, Vault - Time Eater doesn't get to force end the turn, doesn't get strength buffs

It is incorrect to say it "doesn't get to force end the turn;" the turn does end (if Time Eater wasn't doing it, Vault would anyway. Or vice versa). And it gets the strength buff. And what Walla said about "counterattacks" makes no sense - there are no counterattacks (except thorns if you wanna count that), just attacks that enemies make on their turn.

Actual way it works, explained in a lot of detail, is:
Play 12 cards normally - Time Eater forces the turn to end, and it gets a strength buff. You can't play any more cards or use more potions, you trigger any end-of-turn effects, and discard your hand (except retain/pyramid). Then, it is Time Eater's turn, as per the normal turn order, exactly as if you had pressed the end turn button.
Play 11 cards, Vault - Time Eater and Vault both force the turn to end, and Time Eater gets a strength buff. You can't play any more cards or use more potions, you trigger any end-of-turn effects, and discard your hand (except retain/pyramid). Then, because you played Vault, it's your turn again, and you draw five cards, trigger any beginning-of-turn effects, and may play cards and potions again.

And yeah, it's a good thing to play Vault as that 12th card - certainly way better than playing it as your 11th.

So yeah maybe that's pedantic, and I think Jedit was kinda being weird in how he explained it. But he's right.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Thanks, Smock. I'm on my phone and not able to go to those lengths, but that's what I meant.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Slay the Spire is a single player game so in some sense it's always your turn.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Slay the Spire is a single player game so in some sense it's always your turn.

When the nob is about to hit for forty damage and your hand is a bunch of defends and ascension bane, is it truly your turn?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It's not a loss until you click end turn.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
I've been having problems beating act iv on A20 with defect, because I can't get set up fast enough. Several runs have seen me lost 30-40 to the elite and then die to the heart on turn 2 or 3. What are strategies to help get enough block on those turns? Certainly, I can look for apparitions events and put incense burner on the correct number if I have it.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

TacoNight posted:

I've been having problems beating act iv on A20 with defect, because I can't get set up fast enough. Several runs have seen me lost 30-40 to the elite and then die to the heart on turn 2 or 3. What are strategies to help get enough block on those turns? Certainly, I can look for apparitions events and put incense burner on the correct number if I have it.

You have 8 cards to get your frost orb engine going to survive, so multiple Coolheaded+ cards are excellent. Drawing a buffed Genetic Algorithm can also buy you another turn. Potions are also an option, Power Potion, Focus or Card Draw can also get you there.

These fights really punish you for having too many do-nothing attacks in your deck, so not taking too many damage early commons and removing strikes is especially important.

Blorange fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 30, 2021

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Tightly tuned frost orb engine seems like the clear and correct answer, but every time I attempt it I 1. start too early and get wrecked by Nob or 2. start too late, it's not tight enough, and a bad draw on the heart ends me.

I have had better luck praying for creative AI to spit out perfectly timed buffers

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Lol, I just crubstomped the heart with a goddamn "put crap into your deck" ironclad. Power Through is a preeetty decent card when it becomes Gain 23 block and draw two cards for 1 mana thanks to the medical kit plus bottled dark embrace. I also got that one relic that increases your strength with every curse on your deck and had 2 evolves and fire breathings so I had this abomination of a deck with 5 curses and all the wild strikes, immolates and reckless charges I could find.

Reckless Charge: Deal 27 damage and (later on) draw 5 cards and gain 4 block for 0 mana.

It was just endless generation of crap.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jul 31, 2021

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

trucutru posted:

Lol, I just crubstomped the heart with a goddamn "put crap into your deck" ironclad. Power Through is a preeetty decent card when it becomes Gain 23 block and draw two cards for 1 mana thanks to the medical kit plus bottled dark embrace. I also got that one relic that increases your strength with every curse on your deck and had 2 evolves and fire breathings so I had this abomination of a deck with 5 curses and all the wild strikes, immolates and reckless charges I could find.

Reckless Charge: Deal 27 damage and (later on) draw 5 cards and gain 4 block for 0 mana.

It was just endless generation of crap.

Those are one of my favorite deck archetypes, it's so dumb but so fun

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Almost got the no relic challenge with a successful block engine ironclad until I ran into Transient who apparently bodies that archetype

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

palindrome posted:

I've been stymied trying to get the "who needs relics?" achievement. I think I've tried about every class, trading for random boss-relics and not, but I've been destroyed multiple times by the act 3 boss. All things equal I feel like Watcher is the strongest class to try this challenge, since no-additional-relics doesn't really detract from the core of calm/wrath and big damage. I really want to finish this challenge though, it's tantalizingly close but the third act whittles me down and the final boss delivers the coup de gras.

I did it, I finally finished the "who needs relics?" achievo. Ironclad starting with Empty Cage boss relic. I was able to remove cards down to a deck size of about 9, with 4 Clashes and a Body Slam. Almost lost it when I transformed my last 2 strikes into Demon Form and Burning Pact which exhausted my slim deck much too aggressively and almost resulted in several losses before I was able to hit a merchant shop to remove it. Probably took me 20 tries to get it, never did wind up with a Snecko Eye or I would have tried that. Good times, it really makes one appreciate how powerful relics are, even the low/mid-tier ones.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Defect w/ snecko eye plus 3 meteors, 2 sunders, tempest, all-for-one, and hologram. Who needs orbs or whatever when you're making e energy aster than you can use it.

Did you know that if you have both all-for-one and hologram cost 0 mana you get an infinite combo that also lets you replay whatever extra 0-cost crap you have around? That as fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
defect snecko eye with meteor strike is so drat good that im always tempted to take it if it shows up in the boss cards just in case snecko eye shows up as well