Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

b_d posted:

holy poo poo…

Using the enemy's own weapon against him... genius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

He only has 1 health yeah...Bowser in the Sky is the only one with 3.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I wish I loved anything as much as he loves Mario

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Len posted:

I wish I loved anything as much as he loves Mario

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
My favorite part of these videos is when he's like "surely you will ask yourself at this point: why doesn't he use [obscure tactic] to solve [arcane problem], here's an extensive dissertation on why it doesn't work", and I'm like "sure, I was absolutely wondering :) :) :)"

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
TASVideos published a new any%/1-key run of SM64.

By using the "squish cancel" technique (getting squished and unsquished in the same frame to preserve/redirect speed), dabs shaved 5 seconds* off of Bowser in the Sky. This, combined with a few other 0.5-5 frame saves brings the console any% time for Mario 64 down to 4:15.78 (or 4:20.69 if you prefer).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2VzOTpSK64

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNCYo-STMG4

they've loving done it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Cannot wait to see it explained

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

omg

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

:eyepop: So the only B buttton presses left for 120 star on US are to grab King Bob-omb, Bowser, and MIPS, all of which seem kinda fundamentally unavoidable.

For those wondering about the any% A button challenge, this recently dropped: https://tasbot.sm64.us/bitfs

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

And he JUST updated the B button challenge video with their last discovery. I can't wait to see the explanation, I have no idea how they managed it.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
To my untrained-but-I-watched-too-many-of-these eye, the old issue was "there was no way to approach the monkey from an angle to make him jump over mario's head and onto the flat ground outside of the roped area" so they did the spawn-moving trick on the shyguy where they let it move, it starts to reset, they move away to despawn it, repeat to scoot it into a place where they could use it to rocket launch into the monkey's jump trigger area from the right angle and at the right height

then it was the same thing as the b press video about using the wind to grab it

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
love tas videos where they're manipulating the game's code so it looks like mario is just wandering around being a jackass then suddenly BAM something impossible happens

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It looked to me like they clipped under the monkey. I bet the purpose of the fly guy was because twirling puts mario in a state where he can change his direction very rapidly without losing speed (by bouncing off of a wall), so they can trigger the bmonkey to jump on one frame then bounce and be somewhere completely different the next frame. Pannen didn't go into a ton of detail on how Ukiki chooses which direction to jump so I bet this exploits some weird corner case of that, which only the mario scientists know and hasn't been in a video yet

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I think it was just a matter of being high enough, the old video was "monkey jumps onto flat surfaces" and "monkey jumps perpendicular to walls if it's touching a wall" and seemed to always be jumping at mario, so there was a little dance at the corner the last time to lure the monkey into the corner without touching walls and then a speed launch into "where the monkey checks to see if you're there to trigger a jump over you action" and I think that was all there was to it, but I'll be looking forward to the explanation

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
https://youtu.be/JVE23NRLAyk

the explanation

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

*my mind suddenly expanding with the possibilities* the AB button challenge

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

welp that was more involved than i was expecting but finding out the monkey has unboundedly high "running away from mario" speed is pretty great

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
shove the monkey into a PU challenge

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Ukikispeedia

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

trying to jack off posted:

*my mind suddenly expanding with the possibilities* the AB button challenge

You might be interested in "No Buttons Allowed" and the "ABZ Button Challenge", but maybe you'll be the first to discover that allowing lots of Z lets you skip a lot of As and Bs somehow.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Part 2 of the A button challenge video (aka the part where Pannenkoek enters the picture)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME92WaNDGVM

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Brutakas posted:

Part 2 of the A button challenge video (aka the part where Pannenkoek enters the picture)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME92WaNDGVM

drat this is a good series. And we're not even at parallel universes yet

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
I like how it went from "part 1 of 4" to "part 2 of 5 or 6".

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

The video covers a lot of tech I was already aware of but having it presented in a relatively concise way alongside the A-press timeline made it interesting all over again.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_byvjKlqEg

I like the part where pannen stumbles onto the existence of parallel universes but doesn't realize the significance yet. But looks like we're getting there in the next video!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Three videos in and only up to wave 2

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The day we reach 0 A presses the aliens observing Earth will reveal themsrlves and welcome us to the Commonwealth

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The day they get past BitFS pole is going to be incredible.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
they have but only on wii vc

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

The day we reach 0 A presses the aliens observing Earth will reveal themsrlves and welcome us to the Commonwealth

The last A-press is in captivity. The Mario is at peace.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHqgy6EwBCA

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

In Training posted:

The day they get past BitFS pole is going to be incredible.

There's a plan for that, though it's insanely complicated and the only person on earth who fully understands it is tyler kehne

I think it goes something like, when mario bonks into a bully and then the bully bonks back on the next frame, the net collision isn't fully elastic, and the total speed between the two of them increases. So you find a way to bonk, get squished by the tilting pyramid platform, then get bonked, over and over and over to hit PU speed

Rotating platforms will continue to change mario's position on the frame in which he leaves them. So, if the platform is currently tilting in a way that is moving mario upwards, that will apply to his final position, no matter how far away it is. If it's in a PU, he will move upwards by quite a bit

Then, he needs to get back from the PU into the main stage, higher up than the pole. This part is made complicated by some specifics of the situation which I don't understand

The PU movement has been achieved, given hacked bullies with high velocity. And the squish cancel has been done in isolation, again using hacked bullies. But putting it all together is out of reach for mere mortals, thus far

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
As I understand it, it's imminently possible, but requires supercomputer hours to calculate the necessary precise setup.

Which are underway.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It's all happening on the ABC discord which very rudely does not @ me every time Tyler makes progress so I don't actually know what current progress is

The other potential A press save is that the rotating cogs in TTC, during very specific parts of their rotation, form a pedro spot. If you could get perfect RNG in random movement, that pedro spot could last long enough to be useful. But it's an insanely unlikely event

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Brutakas posted:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Brutakas posted:

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

lol