Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Cpt_Obvious posted:

The whole "nations won't do something stupid" idea necessitates that the people in charge of those nations aren't themselves very, very stupid.

Kennedy, Castro and Khrouchtchev were three rational individuals that brought the world to a hair’s breath of Armageddon.

in the end, rationality will not save us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
More a fan of full-length cargo pants, personally.

lordofthefishes
Mar 30, 2008

01000111 01010010 01000101 01000101 01010100 01001001 01001110 01000111 01010011 00100000 01000110 01000101 01001100 01001100 01001111 01010111 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001110 01000001 01000100 01001001 01000001 01001110 01010011

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

if i've learned anything from the climate thread it's that these days it's actually a good idea because there's a 50% chance that whatever body of water is next to the beach is either having a toxic algae bloom, is full of a cocktail of lethal chemicals, or is literally on fire

This is :911: history erasure.

Seriously, you guys are great at the latter two of these. Take credit for your own past successes!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Popoto posted:

Kennedy, Castro and Khrouchtchev were three rational individuals that brought the world to a hair’s breath of Armageddon.

in the end, rationality will not save us.

what the gently caress

khrushchev and kennedy were actually negotiating end to cold war which very greatly upset the cia when they found out. castro didn't want to do poo poo. cuban missile crisis was largely manufactured as a result of the likes of allen dulles and other bloodlusted airforce generals

Xaris has issued a correction as of 10:06 on Jul 29, 2021

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

https://twitter.com/screaminbutcalm/status/1105577845642878976?s=20

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
castro looked me in the eyes and said i will gently caress this poo poo up

that's probably my favorite moment from that documentary

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

skooma512 posted:

I noticed I didn't get the "and a half" part of my overtime, because I had the audacity to take PTO during that pay period and I didn't work 80 hours even though that day was more than 8 hours, so no overtime for me :smug:

I hate this country so much. There's always a loophole or carve-out for the elite to ride though.

I'm going to look up the labor code myself. I'm pretty sure that shift>8 hours means I get OT regardless of the pay period. If it annoys HR, so be it, they're probably all barely working anyway gently caress them.

Edit:

California Labor Code §510.

(a) Eight hours of labor constitutes a day’s work. Any work in excess of eight hours in one workday and any work in excess of 40 hours in any one workweek and the first eight hours worked on the seventh day of work in any one workweek shall be compensated at the rate of no less than one and one-half times the regular rate of pay for an employee. Any work in excess of 12 hours in one day shall be compensated at the rate of no less than twice the regular rate of pay for an employee. In addition, any work in excess of eight hours on any seventh day of a workweek shall be compensated at the rate of no less than twice the regular rate of pay of an employee. Nothing in this section requires an employer to combine more than one rate of overtime compensation in order to calculate the amount to be paid to an employee for any hour of overtime work. The requirements of this section do not apply to the payment of overtime compensation to an employee working pursuant to any of the following:

(1) An alternative workweek schedule adopted pursuant to Section 511.

(2) An alternative workweek schedule adopted pursuant to a collective bargaining agreement pursuant to Section 514.

(3) An alternative workweek schedule to which this chapter is inapplicable pursuant to Section 554.

(b) Time spent commuting to and from the first place at which an employee’s presence is required by the employer shall not be considered to be a part of a day’s work, when the employee commutes in a vehicle that is owned, leased, or subsidized by the employer and is used for the purpose of ridesharing, as defined in Section 522 of the Vehicle Code.

(c) This section does not affect, change, or limit an employer’s liability under the workers’ compensation law.
(Amended by Stats. 1999, Ch. 134, Sec. 4. Effective January 1, 2000.)

As someone who doesn’t live in California, I know 2 things about their labor laws:

Shifts over 8hrs are OT, and companies can’t mandate footwear dress codes except for like… safety purposes (steel toe boots for a work site).

Get their rear end, Skooma!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

Love to see small business owners freak the gently caress out when the labor market shows the tiniest hint of behaving like a labor market. Turns out literally no one needs your job when you position yourself as an absolute rock bottom employer of last resort.

This has been my favorite thing to watch. It's literally the idealized capitalism they crow about whenever they pretend to have studied anything about economics.

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Xaris posted:

what the gently caress

khrushchev and kennedy were actually negotiating end to cold war which very greatly upset the cia when they found out. castro didn't want to do poo poo. cuban missile crisis was largely manufactured as a result of the likes of allen dulles and other bloodlusted airforce generals

Where's a good place to read more about this? I mean there is plenty of stuff on the Cuban missile crisis, but I'm interested in this take specifically.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Xaris posted:

what the gently caress

you misunderstand : they very well might have done what you say, but it doesn't matter, they still got within minutes of being forced by events to launch all out nuclear warfare. in the end they lucked out. they were both rational but it's not what saved us. luck did.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

yr new gurlfrand! posted:

jokes on you shipping is hosed because they’re running on skeleton crews because the Indian crew working on the panaman vessel managed by the japanese firm subcontracted by the South Korean logistics company all got covid

thank you for making mentally visualize the difference between an indian crew with a skeleton crew

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

RIP Syndrome posted:

Where's a good place to read more about this? I mean there is plenty of stuff on the Cuban missile crisis, but I'm interested in this take specifically.

Killing Hope by William Blum is pretty much the best compendium of the CIAs innumerable atrocities and covers this and much more in great detail!

For example, we were so terrified of the communists being electorally popular in Italy that we airdropped millions of condoms that we had poked holes in with "Gift of the Communist Party" written on the package.

We're the worst!

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1420735441590947841?s=20

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Personal consumption is through the roof. Americans are locusts. That drove it.

https://twitter.com/LizAnnSonders/status/1420727880783482885?s=19

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

number

PawParole has issued a correction as of 14:32 on Jul 29, 2021

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

how do i post gifs?

PawParole has issued a correction as of 14:41 on Jul 29, 2021

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Judakel posted:

The leadership positions are fully captured by capital and this might be too costly.

do you think there was no capitalism in the early 20th century

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Beached Whale posted:

Killing Hope by William Blum is pretty much the best compendium of the CIAs innumerable atrocities and covers this and much more in great detail!

Thanks, it's on my reading list now :)

Beached Whale posted:

For example, we were so terrified of the communists being electorally popular in Italy that we airdropped millions of condoms that we had poked holes in with "Gift of the Communist Party" written on the package.

We're the worst!

Lol what

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1420741323481485315

10 minutes after open

:popclap:

lets hear it for NUMBER!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
time to break out the bong and reach my own record high

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Rutibex posted:

time to break out the bong and reach my own record high

:350:

https://twitter.com/markets/status/1420745585552855045?s=20

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Mr Hootington posted:

Personal consumption is through the roof. Americans are locusts. That drove it.

Can't see any possible implications to a massive increase in personal consumption during a period of rapidly rising inflation with little or no wage growth outside of the upper levels of the economy. Seems fine. Can't possibly be a bad thing.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

OPEN BIDEN!!!!!!!

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Chuds don’t care but the extra money helped a ton of people keep the lights on and feed their families, pulling some out of poverty. Which meant that money was being spent in the downtown core that rear end in a top hat chud is crying has no business now. They wanted to hurt the poor and wound up hurting themselves/their local economy, get hosed.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Paradoxish posted:

Can't see any possible implications to a massive increase in personal consumption during a period of rapidly rising inflation with little or no wage growth outside of the upper levels of the economy. Seems fine. Can't possibly be a bad thing.

You forgot the looming inventory shortages!

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Nikola finally got busted for saying that their truck rolling down a hill was a real prototype

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1420747201936912396

cant wait for his <1mm dollar fine and 6 months in prison (deferred)

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

Nikola finally got busted for saying that their truck rolling down a hill was a real prototype

"Misled investors" is a good way to say "lied about every aspect of the company" since this is the guy that showed a video of a truck in neutral moving downhill as proof their truck worked.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

there is real enforcement. ships are old school regulated. as in knowledgeable people from
various bodies, competent authorities, can show up unannounced, inspect to the standard of SOLAS, and can give out consequences.

the vessel would be arrested. as in that would actually be the outcome.

that really only stops, and here I include even in utterly corrupt states, at real state failure. like this regulation is such a big deal that even the neo liberal reforms since Reagan just left that poo poo wholly intact and don’t gently caress with it.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

copying musk down to the letter.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
My wife is looking at new jobs and it seems a bunch of the position's minimum salaries haven't been updated to reflect the new cost of living in the area. What once would've been a salary that could've paid for a decent family house mortgage at 20% of gross income is now more like 34% and that's just because of this year's house price increase. She's going to have to ask for a higher salary to be able to take any of the positions lol.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

yeah it's not like you can't just find a handful of philippino pseudo slaves to shove onto the ship and get the crew requirement. way cheaper than the bribe you'll need to pay when they impound your ship in monrovia

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

"free" electricity

like gently caress starbucks but lol

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Glumwheels posted:

Chuds don’t care but the extra money helped a ton of people keep the lights on and feed their families, pulling some out of poverty. Which meant that money was being spent in the downtown core that rear end in a top hat chud is crying has no business now. They wanted to hurt the poor and wound up hurting themselves/their local economy, get hosed.

Yeah but the silver lining is they won't have a labor shortage anymore if they don't have any customers to serve, so it's a wash

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lockdowns that never happened and if they did were over 14 months ago

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

quote:

But with today’s bitcoin prices and electricity prices in Los Angeles, he’s actually losing money.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Admiral Ray posted:

"Misled investors" is a good way to say "lied about every aspect of the company" since this is the guy that showed a video of a truck in neutral moving downhill as proof their truck worked.

Sounds like a great energy-efficient product for downhill deliveries!

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Holy poo poo lol, it's literally the old "Buy high, sell low, it's all profit!"

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Lacrosse posted:

Yeah but the silver lining is they won't have a labor shortage anymore if they don't have any customers to serve, so it's a wash

Well they won’t have a business either at the rate they’re going, treating employees like poo poo and offering low wages. Labor is saying, get hosed.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

yeah it's not like you can't just find a handful of philippino pseudo slaves to shove onto the ship and get the crew requirement. way cheaper than the bribe you'll need to pay when they impound your ship in monrovia

in places with unionized longshoremen, labor reps go down to vessels and check with the crew that contracts and international law are being followed. particularly on the us West coast that’s seriously business (ILWU doesn’t gently caress around).

it’s occasionally humorous to watch people not in the know bitch about labor not knowing a rep is sitting there.

but that’s obviously more spotty internationally than flag and port state enforcement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

youre not losing money if its mom's electricity