Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't know. If you read past the first module, you start seeing NPCs and PCs that are marked as essential and that the DM is required to allow to somehow survive to the next module. Here's how it's written up in the "Dungeonmaster Notes" for DL2: "Dragons of Flame" (p. 3):

Ehh, encouraging the DM (I wouldn't call it requiring) to give certain characters mysterious deaths so they can return in later adventures is maybe railroady, but I wouldn't call it metaplot. Yes, the modules really want you to play the pregenerated PCs instead of your own homebrews, but importantly, they want you to play those characters, not just watch them do poo poo.

The version of that section that appears in DL Classics Volume 1 is a lot less insistent as well: "If this becomes awkward, or your players become suspicious, then let the NPC die, but be prepared to create a similar (but not identical) NPC to take the dead NPC's place later in the adventure. If you are willing to do this, you may eliminate the "obscure death" rule entirely" (5). It also makes this statement: "Don't feel that you and your players have to march in lock step with the DRAGONLANCE novels!" (5, italics in original).

Applying the "obscure death" rule in DL2 is likely to cause a break with the DL novels since the important Dragonarmy NPC the players might kill is Verminaard. He's killed by the heroes in Pax Tharkas at the climax of Dragons of Autumn Twilight but the modules encourage the DM to keep him alive so he can continue being the main villain for DL3 and DL4. The adventures in those modules, along with DL6 and DL9, get glossed over in the novels, but players get to experience them.

And if you look to later modules, you see that they given options for both the DM and players to not just following along with the novels. The key to freeing Lorac and Silvanesti from his nightmare in DL10 is determined by a series of coin tosses (and the PCs can always just kill him). DL12 gives DMs three options for how the PCs must stop Takhisis from entering Krynn (and invokes the "obscure death" rule to keep the chosen option viable).

So yeah, I don't think it's correct to characterize the DL series as metaplot. They have a plot, one that is often railroaded, but also one that the PCs are actively involved in and not just observing. Compare that to something like DL1 "Freedom" which has the DM read sections of The Verdant Passage to the PCs so that they'll witness the "canon" version of Rikus and Neeva attacking Kalak while they gently caress around in the arena.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Contrarywise, I've played a party game variation of the Munchausen RPG several times without anybody involved having ever owned or read the book, just out of cultural osmosis.

Making an entirely new game on the spot out of half-remembered nonsense and bullshitting the whole thing seems actually incredibly appropriate to the setting.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Tulip posted:

I have no intention of ever playing the Baron Munchausen RPG because it is barely a game but it is a very funny book and I have 0 regrets about getting it.

I enjoyed my read-through of it but of course that's a little tainted now by the author being a real fart about everything.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Tulip posted:

I hope somebody (probably not me) makes a Payday RPG because that would probably set a new gold standard for ACAB in games.

My Shadowrun game back in the day was sort of like that. Sometimes we would spend multiple entire 8 hour sessions planning a job. And of course, 50% of the time it got randomly hosed and we just have to end many promising young lives that day to escape. Just do the same thing except without everything that sucked about Shadowrun (which was plenty).

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

If I’m having a solo dungeon crawler kind of itch and am pretty bored with the D&D boxed board games, what would you guys suggest? I was looking at both the Dark Souls and Bloodborne board games since I like the franchises, I’ve heard they’re not great but are nowhere near as bad as say, Kingdom Death. Is the Bloodborne game really that much better than the Dark Souls game? And what the gently caress is up with the distribution model, I can’t seem to find Bloodborne anywhere but I’ve been to like four FLGSes in the past week that have had expansions for it. Are there better options for the kind of thing I’m looking for (mid-to-high crunch, solo, explore and loot and punch things)?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Rockman Reserve posted:

If I’m having a solo dungeon crawler kind of itch and am pretty bored with the D&D boxed board games, what would you guys suggest? I was looking at both the Dark Souls and Bloodborne board games since I like the franchises, I’ve heard they’re not great but are nowhere near as bad as say, Kingdom Death. Is the Bloodborne game really that much better than the Dark Souls game? And what the gently caress is up with the distribution model, I can’t seem to find Bloodborne anywhere but I’ve been to like four FLGSes in the past week that have had expansions for it. Are there better options for the kind of thing I’m looking for (mid-to-high crunch, solo, explore and loot and punch things)?

Hello, have you heard of our Lord and Savior Gloomhaven? Or the more "casual friendly" Jaws of the Lion?

Not sure if the rule set for Gloomhaven fixes that solo dungeon crawler itch? You could always try the digital edition on Steam for $25 (still in Early Access technically but the 17 playable classes have been implemented).

https://store.steampowered.com/app/780290/Gloomhaven/

I now cede the floor to dwarf74 to explain everything Gloomhaven.

Shrecknet posted:

If you feel like going FATAL & Friends on everyone's favorite romantic gothic superhero RPG in D&D (postin' about politics!) here's your chance!

:cthulhu: should be fun!

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 29, 2021

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Ahh, definitely should have mentioned that I’ve also got Gloomhaven and JotL (and frankly JotL is a lot closer to what I’m looking for, that map book is genius and makes setup so dang fast compared to the big box).

Speaking of which, I had kind of thought JotL was a Target exclusive or something (similar IIRC to a special release of Captain Sonar or something?) but I was seeing it everywhere today. Was I just crazy?

e: why isn’t Descent still a thing, I think i would play the hell out of that with solo ruleset

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Rockman Reserve posted:

Ahh, definitely should have mentioned that I’ve also got Gloomhaven and JotL (and frankly JotL is a lot closer to what I’m looking for, that map book is genius and makes setup so dang fast compared to the big box).

Speaking of which, I had kind of thought JotL was a Target exclusive or something (similar IIRC to a special release of Captain Sonar or something?) but I was seeing it everywhere today. Was I just crazy?

e: why isn’t Descent still a thing, I think i would play the hell out of that with solo ruleset

The new edition of Descent releases this Friday at FLGS's that have jumped through the proper hoops, but it doesn't matter because the app you need to play doesn't release until the official release date of August 6th. Still, not far!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

What the hell, FFG. I've been buying Descents since 1e and still can't get anyone to play them, I'm not getting a third one.

E:

quote:

Is this the third edition of Descent: Journeys in the Dark?

Descent: Legends of the Dark is not the third edition of Descent: Journeys in the Dark. Although it shares the realm of Terrinoth and the top-level identity as a dungeon-crawling board game indicated by the Descent title, we see Legends of the Dark as a new addition to our catalog, rather than a third edition of Journeys in the Dark.
Although Journeys in the Dark featured the Road to Legend companion app, that game was always designed as a competitive experience, pitting one to four hero players against a single overlord player. Legends of the Dark harnesses its integrated companion app to deliver a cooperative game from the very beginning, freeing you and your friends to fully focus on becoming the heroes of Terrinoth.

Core gameplay mechanics such as combat, fatigue, skills, items, and more have received completely new interpretations with Legends of the Dark, while a new approach to scenario layout and 3D terrain creates striking multi-level scenarios.
The app also brings new changes to gameplay, introducing enemies with adaptable strategies, complex status effects and triggers fully managed by the app, and the ability to develop your heroes based on the choices you make in scenarios. You’ll also uncover a wealth of activity between scenarios, such as crafting, shopping in the city, upgrading equipment, and more.
Because of these various differences, Descent: Legends of the Dark is not compatible with Descent: Journeys in the Dark content.

"This isn't the third edition, it's just a totally different expansion with the same name that replaces the core 2e game and is not compatible with it."

moths fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jul 29, 2021

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
FFG gonna FFG.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Rockman Reserve posted:

I fought off impulse buying the Bloodborne board game, but it sounds like it's alright as far as a dungeon crawling thing. Gloomhaven and Frosthaven are still better. The distribution model for the Bloodborne board game is what CMON uses for all their games, where it's a FOMO rush on kickstarter and almost never sold in game stores afterward. Or at most, it's sold with a very minimal base set and none of the expansions or addons.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

S.J. posted:

The new edition of Descent releases this Friday at FLGS's that have jumped through the proper hoops, but it doesn't matter because the app you need to play doesn't release until the official release date of August 6th. Still, not far!

wait wtf

Like the box is going to be literally unplayable for like a week? Lmao

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah Jaws of the Lion will probably scratch that itch really nicely :)

It's a solid game.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Rockman Reserve posted:

wait wtf

Like the box is going to be literally unplayable for like a week? Lmao

Yeah, apparently it's been physically available in Australia for some time but they just won't release the app early lmao

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

S.J. posted:

Yeah, apparently it's been physically available in Australia for some time but they just won't release the app early lmao

And is it literally unplayable? Or just the main selling point where the app GMs it isn't up and running?
I vaguely recall 2nd e launched playable like 1st e where is was 1 player was the dungeon and revealed stuff to others as they explored, but the thing that really sold it was the app doing that for you.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Coolness Averted posted:

And is it literally unplayable? Or just the main selling point where the app GMs it isn't up and running?
I vaguely recall 2nd e launched playable like 1st e where is was 1 player was the dungeon and revealed stuff to others as they explored, but the thing that really sold it was the app doing that for you.

You need the app to play. There is no overlord player.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
lmao

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's been real easy to miss FFG games since they started making phone games with physical props.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'm now even more impressed that Arkham Horror 3E turned out so good.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Descent 1e was good for a while, but for some reason shat its own bed with its expansion sets and the Acrobat card.

Descent 2e had the same problem as Imperial Assault of being dominated by the time limit rather than the actual in-game events. (Dungeon Saga had the same thing, too.)

As mentioned, unfortunately it seems that Legends in the Dark is up with Mansions of Madness as a mobile phone game except you reproduce what's on the screen on the tabletop.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Do we still have a D&D 3e thread?

I have a character (Fighter/Order of the Bow Initiate) that has access to the Ranged Sneak Attack mechanic, and I'd like to know if there are more ways to get the Ranged Sneak Attack to apply besides while the target is Flat-Footed.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

gradenko_2000 posted:

I have a character (Fighter/Order of the Bow Initiate) that has access to the Ranged Sneak Attack mechanic, and I'd like to know if there are more ways to get the Ranged Sneak Attack to apply besides while the target is Flat-Footed.
Telling blow and start stacking crits

e: googling also gets me deadeye shot, but my 3.x is too rusty to tell if it's actually good

Splicer fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jul 29, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Imagined posted:

Making an entirely new game on the spot out of half-remembered nonsense and bullshitting the whole thing seems actually incredibly appropriate to the setting.

I mean, this is much of the RPG experience in general.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

hyphz posted:

As mentioned, unfortunately it seems that Legends in the Dark is up with Mansions of Madness as a mobile phone game except you reproduce what's on the screen on the tabletop.

I demo'd Mansions of Madness at gencon for FFG the year it came out (ask me how many "experienced" games I taught) so I'm probably one of the only people who enjoyed the process of setting up 1E MoM, but it was heartbreaking to find out that the second edition got rid of the keeper player and just had an app handle everything. I think FFG looked at their reputation for having a large number of fiddly bits and physical tokens to keep track of things then said "a phone app could reduce clutter and reduce the barrier to play," which is good but ended up with this style of game. It's a shame.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

You being invisible/attacking while hidden SHOULD count. I say SHOULD because ranged sneak attack is from the 3.0 version of Order of the Bow Initiate and the rules for what causes “target is denied Dex to AC” are ambiguous. In 3.5 it would likely be written as the target being flat-footed. This is one case where I’d ask your DM to be absolutely sure.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Splicer posted:

Telling blow and start stacking crits

e: googling also gets me deadeye shot, but my 3.x is too rusty to tell if it's actually good

Telling Blow and Deadeye Shot might work!

Arivia posted:

You being invisible/attacking while hidden SHOULD count. I say SHOULD because ranged sneak attack is from the 3.0 version of Order of the Bow Initiate and the rules for what causes “target is denied Dex to AC” are ambiguous. In 3.5 it would likely be written as the target being flat-footed. This is one case where I’d ask your DM to be absolutely sure.

the 3.5 Order of the Bow Initiate just lets them do Precision damage at any time as long as the target is within 30 feet (and is vulnerable to Precision damage, so no plants, Undead, etc.), but making the attack that deals this damage is specifically a Standard-action attack all by itself, so it doesn't synergize with a Full-round attack, which is why I took the 3.0 version

Thank you though, I'll have to look into attacking from Hidden

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Tulip posted:

I hope somebody (probably not me) makes a Payday RPG because that would probably set a new gold standard for ACAB in games.

I'll level with you; when I asked about the cop-hatingest RPG, I was basically angling for someone to tell me about some undiscovered Payday-style cop-shooter. I still think it's a huge missed opportunity that the Payday main story didn't end with an assault on the Cop Dimension. The Plane of Elemental Cops.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

gradenko_2000 posted:

We should just give you that cloak of invisibility.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I'll level with you; when I asked about the cop-hatingest RPG, I was basically angling for someone to tell me about some undiscovered Payday-style cop-shooter. I still think it's a huge missed opportunity that the Payday main story didn't end with an assault on the Cop Dimension. The Plane of Elemental Cops.

Some years ago a game that had some sort of "gently caress cops" vibe or message or single sentence got removed from DTRPG for being inflammatory or whatever. I don't remember if DTRPG themselves took it down, or if they were compelled by bootlickers to "look into it" and the owner of the game just said "gently caress this" and took it down themselves. Somehow the usual suspects made a weak gesture or two about censorship, but not nearly as strongly or broadly as when they're defending rape games or GamerGate "spoofs."

I don't even know if the game was any good or anything. All I ever remember hearing is that it was mean to police and then the discourse that followed.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 29, 2021

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

That Old Tree posted:

Some years ago a game that had some sort of "gently caress cops" vibe or message or single sentence got removed from DTRPG for being inflammatory or whatever. I don't remember if DTRPG themselves took it down, or if they were compelled by bootlickers to "look into it" and the owner of the game just said "gently caress this" and took it down themselves. Somehow the usual suspects made a weak gesture or two about censorship, but not nearly as strongly or broadly as when they're defending rape games or GamerGate "spoofs."

I don't even know if the game was any good or anything. All I ever remember hearing is that it was mean to police and then the discourse that followed.

That didn't really happen.

The complaint was in bad faith by a person who edited their profile to make it look like DTRPG had censored them.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Rand Brittain posted:

That didn't really happen.

The complaint was in bad faith by a person who edited their profile to make it look like DTRPG had censored them.

Ah yes, thanks for correcting me.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
That was the 'Eat the Rich' anthology, right?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

potatocubed posted:

That was the 'Eat the Rich' anthology, right?

No, it was a Lasers & Feelings hack called "gently caress the Police" where one side was Pigs and the other was I forget because it was basically the Dead Kennedys' 'Police Truck' without any charm and awful. The 'game' was suspended but the user edited it to make it look like DTRPG said cops were a protected category.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

This is basically Esoteric Enterprises. D&D style dungeon crawls under the city into places like the embassies of the elemental kingdoms of the core of the Earth, then you take your winnings and wage war against cops/MIB/etc on behalf of oppressed people.

e: credit to 90s cringe rock for already mentioning EE, I’m just backing up their statement.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 29, 2021

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Is there a new edition of EE that has all this stuff about using your ill gotten gains waging war on the police? The version of the book I have doesn't contain any rules for that, or really any other use of money besides leveling up. The game uses a frustrating abstract wealth system and lacks mechanics for faction play, other than a very basic numeric counter that goes up when you do jobs and goes down when you start fights.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mellonbread posted:

Is there a new edition of EE that has all this stuff about using your ill gotten gains waging war on the police? The version of the book I have doesn't contain any rules for that, or really any other use of money besides leveling up. The game uses a frustrating abstract wealth system and lacks mechanics for faction play, other than a very basic numeric counter that goes up when you do jobs and goes down when you start fights.

No, no new edition. That gameplay loop of "go underground and do poo poo and then go fight the cops or similar" was pretty evident to me (due to that numeric counter and other bits) when I ran it though. I asked Emmy Allen to confirm it was intended and she did, but it is not a well-laid out or organized rulebook for sure.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Yeah I hadn't responded yet but EE definitely caught my interest. There don't seem to be any paper copies available in North America anymore, just PDF from DTRPG, but I'm keeping it in mind for sure.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Yeah I hadn't responded yet but EE definitely caught my interest. There don't seem to be any paper copies available in North America anymore, just PDF from DTRPG, but I'm keeping it in mind for sure.

You're right - Exalted Funeral is the NA distributor and it's not even up on their shop. SoulMuppet will ship to NA from the UK if you're willing to pay the shipping, though.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
I picked up the EE hardcover in the brief window it was available about a year go, and you aren't missing much. The mis-numbered tables and pages from the PDF are much more of a hindrance in hardcopy form, when you can't just CTRL-F for what you want. I actually like some of the public domain photos to illustrate the book, but they aren't a work of art that needs to be experienced in print. I would only recommend the hardback if you really hate using a PDF to run your game.

Arivia posted:

No, no new edition. That gameplay loop of "go underground and do poo poo and then go fight the cops or similar" was pretty evident to me (due to that numeric counter and other bits) when I ran it though. I asked Emmy Allen to confirm it was intended and she did, but it is not a well-laid out or organized rulebook for sure.
Yeah I'm not contesting the author's intentions, more pointing out that there's no mechanical support for them in the rules.

An expansion that actually covered domain level play and let the players get more involved in faction conflicts would be a welcome addition to the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mellonbread posted:

I picked up the EE hardcover in the brief window it was available about a year go, and you aren't missing much. The mis-numbered tables and pages from the PDF are much more of a hindrance in hardcopy form, when you can't just CTRL-F for what you want. I actually like some of the public domain photos to illustrate the book, but they aren't a work of art that needs to be experienced in print. I would only recommend the hardback if you really hate using a PDF to run your game.

Yeah I'm not contesting the author's intentions, more pointing out that there's no mechanical support for them in the rules.

An expansion that actually covered domain level play and let the players get more involved in faction conflicts would be a welcome addition to the game.

I had the actual editor/publisher in my group when I ran it and he pretty much said that if Emmy had actually let him edit the game at any level beyond small textual errors it would have been much more consistent and better organized/playable out of the box. There was obvious frustration on his part about how it was annoying to play because of failings in the text: Emmy basically assumes you already know how to run Basic dungeons and expects you to just fit EE around that without actually telling you.