Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Tenebrais posted:

This sounds pretty plausible. Tessa keeping her cards to her chest, trying to confront Goops without ever telling Undine she has a lead.
Agreed. Though I don't think she's going to die from it, Mary Cagle's a better writer than to repeat the Cassidy plot beat so soon. (Though this could end up being an opportunity for someone to prevent history from repeating, a la "Bang.")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Man the cracking glass panels are such an extremely great visual shorthand to show Tessa’s fragile mental state. Also, I feel like it’s a pretty significant thing that Tessa remembers her convo with Anemone now.

I know it’s probably going wind getting way worse, but I hope Tessa is going to be ok in the end. She made such an incredible sacrifice to save Udine. She deserves to happy.

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah
Literal crack ping

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Julius CSAR posted:

Man the cracking glass panels are such an extremely great visual shorthand to show Tessa’s fragile mental state. Also, I feel like it’s a pretty significant thing that Tessa remembers her convo with Anemone now.

I think the cracked panels are heralding a bit of a breakthrough in the overall mythology of the Magical Girl society, but I don't think Tessa remembers the conversation. I think she's getting flashes from it, but not anything coherent.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

nimby posted:

I think the cracked panels are heralding a bit of a breakthrough in the overall mythology of the Magical Girl society, but I don't think Tessa remembers the conversation. I think she's getting flashes from it, but not anything coherent.

It's been a while, but cracked panels have not spelled good things for Tessa in the past.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Break through, Break down, Break up. What's even the difference?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-18-page-13

Alt text: "Tessa is having some thoughts, and I'm sure they are all fine!" :ohdear:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

And another page today!

Tessa is totally changing the subject. It's still nice to see these two finally talking.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
That bottom left panel is kind of haunting. On the outside she's just chatting, but her mind is elsewhere and it's someplace terrible.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I wonder how Tessa actually feels about all this. Even outside of the Goops issue, she's a traumatized teenager seeing the only other person who went through what she did start to heal and move forward with her life.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tenebrais posted:

And another page today!

Tessa is totally changing the subject. It's still nice to see these two finally talking.

Yeah, as much as she's avoiding issues, getting conformable with just casually hanging out and talking as a friend again will do her a world of good if they keep it up.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

girl dick energy posted:

I wonder how Tessa actually feels about all this. Even outside of the Goops issue, she's a traumatized teenager seeing the only other person who went through what she did start to heal and move forward with her life.

It's got to be really hard for her. Not to mention that Undine going to the club so much is a big part of why they'd been disengaging in the first place and part of their separation.
I wouldn't think Tessa would push Undine away the same way she did Rue - she can't let go of her other three friends, I don't think she could really let go of Undine. But she also can't keep up with Undine's new life, everything she's up to is so far away from her now. She seemed fairly comfortable keeping Undine at arm's length, being able to still think of her as a friend but not actually interacting so she didn't have to deal with how well Undine is doing now.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Mentioning how Tessa used to be more powerful might end up digging at the whole loss of power issue. Hopefully Tessa won't view it that way

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Twibbit posted:

Mentioning how Tessa used to be more powerful might end up digging at the whole loss of power issue. Hopefully Tessa won't view it that way

Oh she’s going to.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I mean all things considered, Tessa was a walking nuke compared to HP whose power is "punch good".

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Brought To You By posted:

I mean all things considered, Tessa was a walking nuke compared to HP whose power is "punch good".

Which is interesting, because HP had a specific reason she was more powerful than most girls - she's inherited her mother's power in addition to her own. For Tessa to be stronger than that, it implies there's something unusual about her own powers.
Especially since her sigil is specifically called out as not fitting in with the rest of her team.

I suspect this might have something to do with why Goops is so interested in her and Undine.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Team Alchemical was all about combining attacks in the only time we see them in action together

The initial concept did say:

quote:

Tessa from Sleepless Domain! Just Gwen and Sally to go now for this set.

I don’t wanna spoil anything, but Tessa right now is what I imagine would happen if you were actually a young teen that was expected to lead a group of magical girls, and were way stronger than the rest of them. She’s dealing with some stuff.

but it doesn't really come through in the first chapter as eventually written - Tessa needs time to 'charge up' her orbital lance or whatever, which seems like a big weakness against the really small, twitchy, fast-moving stuff that is shown in later chapters. She doesn't answer Sylvia's question of why Tessa always assigns herself the finishing blow, which suggests to the reader that she doesn't have one.

ronya fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 29, 2021

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I think Goops motives for Tessa and Undine are different. For Tessa, given her unnatural power I think she's a rare type of girl that had an incredibly high affinity for magic and that might relate to the origins of Goops and the MG powering the city's barriers and the dreams. Which is probably why I think Goops is seemingly offering some kind of support to Tessa at night as her window friend.

For Undine, I think Goops is more like Freddy Krueger, just taunting her victim and stalking them with the intent to kill. Undine's only in this situation because she survived that night and had any of the other girls in team alchemic survived they would probably be getting a similar treatment.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

ronya posted:

Tessa needs time to 'charge up' her orbital lance or whatever, which seems like a big weakness against the really small, twitchy, fast-moving stuff that is shown in later chapters.

Counterpoint: she vaporizes the monster that overpowers them pretty much instantly. The orbital lance might just be overkill, as Alchemical Fire suggests.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Counterpoint: she vaporizes the monster that overpowers them pretty much instantly. The orbital lance might just be overkill, as Alchemical Fire suggests.

I got the impression she basically blasts out full power instantly at that moment as an emotional reaction to the situation there, she's not worried about burning herself out, she just wants it dead.

That said, I'd guess that she had plenty of abilities that didn't need to charge, it's just the charging up for the lance was a guaranteed one-shot-kill so having the others corral the monsters and her blast them was a good system.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 29, 2021

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Brought To You By posted:

I think Goops motives for Tessa and Undine are different. For Tessa, given her unnatural power I think she's a rare type of girl that had an incredibly high affinity for magic and that might relate to the origins of Goops and the MG powering the city's barriers and the dreams. Which is probably why I think Goops is seemingly offering some kind of support to Tessa at night as her window friend.

For Undine, I think Goops is more like Freddy Krueger, just taunting her victim and stalking them with the intent to kill. Undine's only in this situation because she survived that night and had any of the other girls in team alchemic survived they would probably be getting a similar treatment.

Goops hates Undine (and presumably the rest of Team Alchemical) for a specific reason, she said as much. Whatever that reason is, Undine either doesnt know or has forgotten.

She also said she and Cassidy might get along if Cassidy wasn't "one of hers", presumably referring to Mahou Jesus?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

MJeff posted:

Goops hates Undine (and presumably the rest of Team Alchemical) for a specific reason, she said as much. Whatever that reason is, Undine either doesnt know or has forgotten.
I can't think of anything specific the girls did beyond existing that would set Goops off on them. However if Tessa is some uber powerful MG compared to others, and Team Alchemic is so far the largest thematic team in the series (Forte clocks in at 2nd place with 4 members and Team Spear was a thematic of 3 at 3rd place). Plus the groups abilities synergized as a default option. I can easily see Goops hating them because the group either represented a really powerful group that still hadn't fully reached their potential, or maybe the group reminds Goops of her own past as part of a similar thematic group. I operate on the theory that the narrator, Mahou Jesus, and Goops were all on the same side originally.

quote:

She also said she and Cassidy might get along if Cassidy wasn't "one of hers", presumably referring to Mahou Jesus?
I'd agree it's referring to Mahou Jesus, but also Goops doesn't seem capable of making dark magical girls (yet) so she's probably just being cheeky here. If Cassidy didn't have powers Goops wouldn't personally care about her.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
unrelated: this is darkly funny in retrospect

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
My going theory is that the authorities of this city did something rrrreeeaally hosed up to a couple of girls, one of whom became Tessa and the other became Goops.

Maybe Goops and Tessa were a team, one with the power of aether, one with the power of all four elements, but Goops' power got split into four other girls somehow. Dunno where Mahou Jesus plays into this but she seems frustrated about her place in all of this too, insofar as she wishes she could help the girls more.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Ragnar34 posted:

That bottom left panel is kind of haunting. On the outside she's just chatting, but her mind is elsewhere and it's someplace terrible.

Yeah, the art really sells "you could easily interpret this as a relaxed, casual expression if you didn't know better". It's impressive.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

MJeff posted:

My going theory is that the authorities of this city did something rrrreeeaally hosed up to a couple of girls, one of whom became Tessa and the other became Goops.

Maybe Goops and Tessa were a team, one with the power of aether, one with the power of all four elements, but Goops' power got split into four other girls somehow. Dunno where Mahou Jesus plays into this but she seems frustrated about her place in all of this too, insofar as she wishes she could help the girls more.

Unless you mean Mahou Jesus and not Tessa, we already had a flashback showing that Undine was the first of Team Alchemical to receive the dream.

I am getting really antsy to see Anemone's deal, though. Her magical girl power has to be some kind of anonymous observer power and that has to be rough on a kid.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I assume whatever is the reason that Goops hates Undine (or possibly MGs in general) happened or was conveyed to her in her dream, which is why she doesn't remember.

Beyond that, we definitely haven't been shown enough to even really speculate much on Goops's motivations. She remains a mystery antagonist until the protagonists can confront her more directly, or we're shown a flashback or something.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Malpais Legate posted:

I am getting really antsy to see Anemone's deal, though. Her magical girl power has to be some kind of anonymous observer power and that has to be rough on a kid.
Anemone has all but explicitly broken the fourth wal while talking to the readers (or some unknown distant outsider with the same exact level of presumed world knowledge as we have). It feels like the "cost" of having meta-world knowledge is being unable to influence the world or anyone in it.

Which is to say, I wouldn't be surprised or disappointed if Anemone is one corner of questions that remains partly unanswered, because she might exist partly outside of the rules of the in-fiction world. A fun/compelling/sad backstory behind the story's narrator, her superpowers manifested as tbe power to not exist.

I'd be extra impressed if she gets worked into the plot as an active player, though.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

It would be a pretty cool spin on the trope if Anemone is able to talk to the reader because she passed through the fourth wall, so now the characters on the other side of it can't fully acknowledge her.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

She was talking to Tessa just fine until she wanted to disappear and talking about the woman in white, which blanked out Tessa's memory but didn't affect her at all.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Her actively approaching Tessa feels like it's an indicator that she'll have something more of a role than just narrating, though.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Anemone also has some sort of history with the woman in white. So I'm reasonably sure she'll have some sort of role in the plot, even if it's not a particularly active one.

Interesting to note: In that page, when Anemone is talking about Goops and the rodent, she has the same static effect in her eyes as other girls do talking about WIW. And that we see on the outer barrier.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Malpais Legate posted:

Pretty sure she's also immortal.

I figure she's talking to Mark, or someone like him. It just lines up with our experience as outsiders.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Right now the only limitation goops has shown is that she can't seem to go into buildings, right? Like, we haven't ever seen her inside.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

Right now the only limitation goops has shown is that she can't seem to go into buildings, right? Like, we haven't ever seen her inside.

Every time she's physically manifested she's been emerging out of the inner barrier, so she's probably bound to it in some way. She has managed to make a phone call during the day, though.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
We did establish that Goops has a payphone stashed somewhere. And probably pays for it by stealing loose change off the streets.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Nonsense <_<;;

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Tenebrais posted:

Every time she's physically manifested she's been emerging out of the inner barrier, so she's probably bound to it in some way. She has managed to make a phone call during the day, though.

She (maybe?) said something during the day to Tessa when she went to the graveyard the first time, iirc. But it wasn't an actual appearance, just a speech balloon.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

No U.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Wow for some reason I never noticed that Udine only has Tessa’s pink in her eyes when she’s transformed. drat, I wonder if Tessa even knows. I don’t know if that would make her feel better or worse.