Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

it is absolutely currently illegal for me to lend financial assistance to sanctioned entities, this is not different.

We’re not even talking about innocent populations like the civilian residents of sanctioned states like Iran, who have done basically nothing wrong and don’t deserve the poo poo that they’re getting.

The context here is professional ransomware crews, grow up.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Potato Salad posted:

“Don’t pay” is not a regressive policy.

Even better, prevent the exchanges from processing those payments. So there is no way possible to pay.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Potato Salad posted:

Implementing the following will steeply curtail commercial ransomware activity in a country:
1- Require KYC for domestic exchanges, something we already require for basically every financial transaction already.
2- Ban extortion payment. Better, codify it as a criminal act.
3- Require reporting of extortion requests, probably to US CISA (this is likely already going to be happening)

A few crypto extortion teams may pull poo poo to protest this for a few months, but ultimately the drive to eat will force them to look elsewhere or close up shop.

Crime requires money to commit. Take away the ability to pay ransoms and you’ve steeply cut into the motives actors have to cryptolocker businesses. We’d be left with state sponsored actors doing things for natsec reasons, and we might see crypto extortion here and there from hactivists and enthusiasts.

Banning ransom payment runs the risk of driving it underground. It would likely be better to require disclosure to the government (though probs fbi not CISA) and disclosure on SEC filings. There was a good overview of many of the legal options here: https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2021/07/disrupting-ransomware-by-disrupting-bitcoin.html

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Soylent Pudding posted:

Banning ransom payment runs the risk of driving it underground. It would likely be better to require disclosure to the government (though probs fbi not CISA) and disclosure on SEC filings. There was a good overview of many of the legal options here: https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2021/07/disrupting-ransomware-by-disrupting-bitcoin.html

Implemenying KYC is a very, very strong preventative against the grand majority of payments going underground. Remember also that block chains are publicly traceable; much has already been done without the sledgehammer of KYC.

There is a reason that financial payments crime is extremely challenging to get away with (standing policy of not caring about white collar crime aside, that’s an issue with AG incentives). You need a large financial institution like Wells Fargo or Deutsche bank as a willing insider blowing smoke for you, and even then getting caught anyway. KYC for domestic exchange is a really well oiled tool.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
If we start banning bitcoins with tanks, then they will simply evolve to become faster, stronger, and equipped with anti-tank rifles. It is a ransomeware arms race we cannot possibly hope to win

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Soylent Pudding posted:

this is interesting

quote:

Criminals and their victims act differently. Victims are net buyers, turning millions of dollars into bitcoin and never going the other way. Criminals are net sellers, only turning bitcoin into currency. The only other net sellers are the cryptocurrency miners, and they are easy to identify.

Any banked exchange that cares about enforcing money laundering laws must consider all significant net sellers of cryptocurrencies as potential criminals and report them to both in-country and US financial authorities. Any exchange that doesn’t should have its banking forcefully cut.

since BTC isn't usable as a currency, if you're getting bitcoin from anywhere other than buying it you're likely a criminal.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

cool av posted:

this is interesting

since BTC isn't usable as a currency, if you're getting bitcoin from anywhere other than buying it you're likely a criminal.

Maybe we should give the diamond hand hodlers what they want and make selling a cryptocurrency a capital offence.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Soylent Pudding posted:

Maybe we should give the diamond hand hodlers what they want and make selling a cryptocurrency a capital offence.

but if the state forces everyone to be a diamond hand, what will they lord over the inferior investors? who will they buy from? how will they live with the shame of the government telling them not to do something they already weren't planning on doing?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

cool av posted:

this is interesting

The FBI uses this to identify criminal wallets, and it’s why the big three crypto laundering services are so shockingly huge.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Potato Salad posted:

The FBI uses this to identify criminal wallets, and it’s why the big three crypto laundering services are so shockingly huge.

frankly “does this business accept butts” has been a great litmus test for me. if they do they’re probably shady/untrustworthy/gullible/or going to start shouting “no chargebacks” at me the instant there’s the slightest issue.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

blugu64 posted:

frankly “does this business accept butts” has been a great litmus test for me. if they do they’re probably shady/untrustworthy/gullible/or going to start shouting “no chargebacks” at me the instant there’s the slightest issue.

newegg accepting bitpay is a bummer

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I think the US should just declare war on ransomware.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

KnifeWrench posted:

newegg accepting bitpay is a bummer

microcenter is just down the road though

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I think the US should just declare war on ransomware.

all the other times we declared wars on vague concepts make this proposal likely to end in ransomware being far more prevalent than it is now

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
ban all computers, problem solved

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

SubG posted:

ban all computers, problem solved

A buttlerian jihad?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I’m going to throw every computer into a lake

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

what did the lake do to deserve that

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

kw0134 posted:

if the lake doesn’t want computers dumped in it then it should hire its own security forces.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

kw0134 posted:

look it's just a natural disposal method just like throwing your batteries into the ocean

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
please don't throw batteries into the ocean

throw them into a lolbertarian's backyard instead

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

...and then throw the libertarian in the ocean

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

SubG posted:

...and then throw the libertarian in the ocean

:hmmyes:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

toot toot your a boat

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Weatherman posted:

please don't throw batteries into the ocean

it's gotten so bad that I heard there are electric eels now :smith:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Clockwerk posted:

if the lake doesn’t want computers dumped in it then it should hire its own security forces.
Friday the 13th reboot sounding total poo poo

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Shumagorath posted:

Friday the 13th reboot sounding total poo poo

Elon Boerhees

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

Elon Boerhees

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

FAUXTON posted:

Elon Boerhees

idgi

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
what's an "elon"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Boxturret posted:

what's an "elon"

about $4.25, same as in town

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Boxturret posted:

what's an "elon"

not much, what's an elon with you

fake edit: gently caress you apple, i don't want to capitalise elon

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Boxturret posted:

what's an "elon"
a miserable pile of twitter memes

Cryptoracle
Jul 30, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hammerite posted:

When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit. Seraph is a nonce lol
It seems it's time once again for us to take another look back through Something Awful history for some much-needed perspective. This time we're going back all the way to Spring 2011:

I like this Dessert Rose person. The OG Seraph84, you love to see it. Too bad for them that they were being satirical rather than sincere.

You don't have to keep doing this to yourselves, you know. Sure, it was funny at first, but you're rapidly approaching self-harm territory now. As your friend, as your comrade, that truly saddens me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlGU8hWsoiA

Cryptoracle fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jul 30, 2021

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
bye serape

Cryptoracle
Jul 30, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Weatherman posted:

bye serape
Cookies need love like everything does. Do what you're here to do.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
so long serape

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Cryptoracle posted:

Cookies need love
lowtax doesn't own the site anymore

Cryptoracle
Jul 30, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Weatherman posted:

so long serape

Cryptoracle fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

I hear Jamie Spears might be available soon, maybe someone can have this guy put under observation.