Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I will never be cast on wheel as I do not have enough beautiful husbands or children

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
getting beaten at press your luck, tho -- that's where the real prestige lies.

not since remote control has a game show made it a point to draw attention to how lousy a player you are.

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 28, 2021

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Spokes posted:

oh okay, well, when they cast me on wheel someday i'll let everybody know if getting crushed on jeopardy or getting crushed on wheel is more fun

A wheel would roll right over you so in theory it would hurt less.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I am so loving bad at wheel it is insane. I could never even get on that show.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

wa27 posted:

Do any streaming services even have current Jeopardy episodes? The only way I know to keep up legally is watching it live or DVRing it.

Does a YouTube channel count?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

HookShot posted:

I'm pretty good at the puzzles, but I loving hate the random variance aspect of the actual wheel part. I know I'd be hosed by spinning Bankrupt over and over and just end up really frustrated.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

A fun thing about Jeopardy watching/listening is that during my childhood, it aired on Channel 6.

Until, I think the digital transition, you could pick up anyone's Channel 6 as 87.7 on your FM dial. Jeopardy was a nightly thing in our household (7:30) and if you were stuck on the road, you could almost always pick up the broadcast on that radio station.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

HookShot posted:

i'm practicing a lot, it's definitely a skill that can be learned to some degree (i went from solving 10% of bonus rounds or so to 60%-ish) but the people who are legit talented at it? insanely impressive

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

I was on wheel a few years ago and practiced a ton. I am definitely rustier now, although my wife has always been really good.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

The Sean posted:

Also, goon person who's wife was on recently: She loving outed pirating jeopardy videos. wtf? (for real, though, she seemed really cool)

Her original plan was to say "this was before DVRs" or "before TiVo" but felt "before YouTube" was a better timeframe. She wasn't thinking about pirating, just time shifting, not her fault the only good way to do that with Jeopardy! is YouTube. :v:

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

The five anecdotes on the Jeopardy audition form was intimidating enough for me. I don't think I have the ingredients to be on Wheel. No military service, no spouse, one temperamental tuxedo cat who I resent half the time...

Also, I'm just a flat-out mediocre hangman player.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I'm pretty good at the puzzles, but I loving hate the random variance aspect of the actual wheel part. I know I'd be hosed by spinning Bankrupt over and over and just end up really frustrated.

I figure if I'm ever on wheel and have a good streak without knowing the answer, I'd probably throw it by guessing a known bad letter, that way I don't hit a bankrupt and lose everything. This would be especially if I had some of the tiles on my board like a coveted wild card.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Holy crap

Poque fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 17, 2022

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I loving hate this guy so much!!!!!

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

RC and Moon Pie posted:

A fun thing about Jeopardy watching/listening is that during my childhood, it aired on Channel 6.

Until, I think the digital transition, you could pick up anyone's Channel 6 as 87.7 on your FM dial. Jeopardy was a nightly thing in our household (7:30) and if you were stuck on the road, you could almost always pick up the broadcast on that radio station.

It was on our Channel 6 as well. FM carrier at 1/3 power so you always had to turn it up. Although the big broadcast stations moved in 2009, NTSC finally went dark just a few weeks ago

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

packetmantis posted:

I don't think he's going away for awhile.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Yeah, he's gunning for James' records

LeVar is trying his best given the hype machine but things aren't clicking. Awkward pauses, Silences so large you could run a commercial in them and today declaring a wrong answer then calling it correct seconds later. Insert Reading Rainbow quote here.

Since Aaron has made up with cheeseheads sort of, guess he's out of the running. He'll have some TV work when he hangs up his cleats and not just as a talking head on pregame.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Pre-empted again!!!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I finally got my DVR to find the preempted time slot: 4:30 AM

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

packetmantis posted:

Somewhere there's an exhausted professor muttering, "He should be writing."

Island Nation posted:

LeVar is trying his best given the hype machine but things aren't clicking. Awkward pauses, Silences so large you could run a commercial in them and today declaring a wrong answer then calling it correct seconds later. Insert Reading Rainbow quote here.

Yeah, I love his personality and delivery but Im being irked with slow responses to buzzing in. Hopefully more practice will get him there.

Ken is still my favorite, though.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
alright FINE i'll watch Jeopardy live again. Would hate to watch history go by without a front row seat.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/oldfilmsflicker/status/1420967654878109697?s=21
https://twitter.com/oldfilmsflicker/status/1420981036524077058?s=21

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Jeopardy could probably improve that ratio, but it’s difficult when the entirety of human history has been biased against women. There are some categories that would be a struggle to get more than one woman name that people would know.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dienes posted:

Yeah, I love his personality and delivery but Im being irked with slow responses to buzzing in. Hopefully more practice will get him there.

:same:

I was hoping he'd do well, but just isn't unfortunately.

Dienes posted:

Ken is still my favorite, though.

Since it's that time of the week, I'm Team Robin, followed by Buzzy, then Rodgers.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I’m not saying he’s the #1 guest host or anything, but Levar is doing fine and brings a different approach than the others have, which I appreciate.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Duckman2008 posted:

I’m not saying he’s the #1 guest host or anything, but Levar is doing fine and brings a different approach than the others have, which I appreciate.

Agreed. As previously mentioned, his only issue seems to be lack of fluency causing a few timing hiccups, which is easily remedied with more experience. I think it's made worse by just how awkward some of the games have been...dude has had so many triple stumpers, multiple dumb answers, that fun time someone answered so late another contestant had rung in, and of course the record lowest score of all time. All that factored in, his pacing has worked out fine enough so he's not leaving half of the board uncovered.

You can't fix someone whose delivery is just flat and boring, or is a fake doctor who doesn't want to even be there. Remember these were all filmed in a single day, he had no opportunity to really shake it off and adjust. Think back to how Ken started in his first week versus how he was in week 2, let alone 6.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

BaronVonVaderham posted:

You can't fix someone whose delivery is just flat and boring, or is a fake doctor who doesn't want to even be there. Remember these were all filmed in a single day, he had no opportunity to really shake it off and adjust. Think back to how Ken started in his first week versus how he was in week 2, let alone 6.

I agree with this. I'm not super big on LeVar so far but I also wish he had a full two weeks because he brings a great and different energy that most of the other guest hosts don't have - he doesn't seem to be trying to emulate Alex like some of the others. I think his own brand would grow nicely over time, he's just had a rough week for his only week's trial.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Bird in a Blender posted:

Jeopardy could probably improve that ratio, but it’s difficult when the entirety of human history has been biased against women. There are some categories that would be a struggle to get more than one woman name that people would know.
You can get around this by including the name in the clue and having the actual question be related but easier. LL does a good job imo, although having longer clues makes it easier.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
An entire category in Double Jeopardy that's just about that episode of Star Trek TNG where they are at the planet ruled by women.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Poque posted:

I agree with this. I'm not super big on LeVar so far but I also wish he had a full two weeks because he brings a great and different energy that most of the other guest hosts don't have - he doesn't seem to be trying to emulate Alex like some of the others. I think his own brand would grow nicely over time, he's just had a rough week for his only week's trial.

He probably would've grown into it but he was only put on to satisfy the loud minority. Dr. Oz had a better chance to get the job.

At this point assuming Faber and Buck don't get it, who should and who will get the role?

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Island Nation posted:

He probably would've grown into it but he was only put on to satisfy the loud minority. Dr. Oz had a better chance to get the job.

At this point assuming Faber and Buck don't get it, who should and who will get the role?

The answer to that question depends on the outstanding drama between Aaron Rodgers and the Packers.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

The writers seem inconsistent lately, with some very bad clues and very few good ones.

That said, I loved the FJ clue on Friday even though I got it wrong.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

xarph posted:

The answer to that question depends on the outstanding drama between Aaron Rodgers and the Packers.

As much as I have been a levar fanboy here , I would die if Aaron Rodgers got the role. He did super well.

And yes , for the record I also would love the role to go to a non white male.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I understand the desire if not pressure for equality by wanting to check off as many quotas as possible but IMO the top three contenders are all white men. Is it wrong if one of them gets it?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Matt rules

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
Levar Burton has been absolutely terrible. Like I can't believe all of the missteps and poor form in his hosting. I like him as a dude but man, he's just awful as a game show host and I'm glad he's done.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I thought Buzzy did the best. My wife hated him. She liked Aaron Rodgers but I doubt he does it because he's still playing football.

Edit: I kinda wish LeVar had more time to get comfortable.

Darth Brooks fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 31, 2021

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I want it to be Buzzy or Ken because I need to know the host is smarter than me.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Darth Brooks posted:

I thought Buzzy did the best. My wife hated him. She liked Aaron Rodgers but I doubt he does it because he's still playing football.

Edit: I kinda wish LeVar had more time to get comfortable.

I don't know when Jeopardy shoots, but it's only 46 days per year, so it's possible Rodgers could get the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mister Kingdom posted:

I don't know when Jeopardy shoots, but it's only 46 days per year, so it's possible Rodgers could get the job.

They begin taping the new season in a few weeks.