Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The scene is explicit in showing you that neither cop buys the explanation, but they're going to go with it because cop comradery.
It's one of the least unbelievable things in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Senor Tron posted:

It's always gonna be baffling to me that Hollywood saw Chris Pratt as Andy Dwyer, decided they needed him in their movies, but had him transform into generic Hollywood douchebag first.

loving imagine if StarLord was literally just Andy bumbling his way around the Galaxy.

Andy Dwyer pulling out karate moves to intimidate velociraptors.

i know!!! it's so baffling.

i like him just fine and all but his career peaked with "what's a neutral milk hotel?"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Khablam posted:

The scene is explicit in showing you that neither cop buys the explanation, but they're going to go with it because cop comradery.
It's one of the least unbelievable things in the series.

I mean that scene would be fine if Dexter was a different show….but that was never what Dexter was

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

In Dexter the police are explicitly morally just but incompetent. Which stands in contrast to real-life where Dexter would have to put many of his colleagues on the table.

Man I need someone to do a copagenda take on Dexter bad now.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Dexter probably tried to be copganda but was so bad at it no one noticed

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

In Dexter the police are explicitly morally just but incompetent. Which stands in contrast to real-life where Dexter would have to put many of his colleagues on the table.

Man I need someone to do a copagenda take on Dexter bad now.

I don't know why, but this reminded me of one of the dumbest things I've seen said in relation to this show. It was some edgy jackass saying "So... who would Dexter be more likely to kill? Old Testament God or Satan?" And it's like... who the hell sits around pondering poo poo like that about Dexter of all things?

Also, how long before Dexter gets his secret revealed and anyone close to him is just okay with it. I'm guessing about four episodes. Speaking of, I'm also gonna guess that the Clancy Brown bad guy will find out about his old identity and say "Hello, Dexter Morgan" and that'll be when we see the John Lithgow ghost. I'm calling it now. That seems like the sort of cheap move they'll make to invoke the time this show was actually decent.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It'll be Doakes.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Like someone else said I completely forgot about this guy (and the rest of season five) but now all I want is the "Stan Liddy Show"

Edit:holy poo poo how did I also not get that he was loving Robocop?

Dragonstoned fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 29, 2021

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

lol go gently caress yourself CBS

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 101 days!
the people cry out for robodoakes

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Time variant Doakes.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

MiddleOne posted:

Time variant Doakes.

Would that this Doakes were a Time Doakes...

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

If they had Dexter experience waking nightmares with Doakes multiple times, that would be an awesome way to bring back the actor. Him looking older wouldn't matter. Hell, in Star Trek: Picard, that old gently caress has a dream where he chats with overweight Data (Brent Spiner has gotten a little bigger if you haven't noticed)

Another possible idea, they pull the ole Angel on one shoulder, Satan on the other shoulder routine with Dexter trying to make a decision but instead the people on his shoulders are his Dad and Doakes.

We need to bring back Doakes

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Scrotum Modem posted:

We need to bring back Doakes
This new season will be absolutely terrible all around, rehashing Dexter getting away with nonsense for no reason and the last scene will be Dexter saying “I’m safe.”

CUT TO:

DOAKES
Surprise Motherfucker!

CUT TO BLACK

And then we get another tortuous season because really, we’re all in hell.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I want that now.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

I don't really remember how Doakes died, and I won't check, so let's just say that he didn't.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

THIS IS MURDA

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

roomtone posted:

I don't really remember how Doakes died, and I won't check, so let's just say that he didn't.

he got blown up by titty vampire

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

Or did he

nerox
May 20, 2001
FADE IN: Dexter in Bed in his Miami Condo

Dexter gets up and starts making breakfast and picks up newspaper to see headline "ICE TRUCK KILLER STILL AT LARGE"

Dexter states loudly to himself "It was all a dream".

The door knocks, Doakes and Deb come in the have breakfast with Dexter.

<<Dexter Intro Starts>>

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I hope they make the theme song even longer. Just make it 7 minutes long. who could even tell

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

One of the first of dozens of instances of the show bailing Dexter out.

They had a similar circumstance in Breaking Bad and Jesse kills Gail.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

One of the first of dozens of instances of the show bailing Dexter out.

They had a similar circumstance in Breaking Bad and Jesse kills Gail.

I guess, but there's actual character development there.

In Dexter's universe, people conveniently just die.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
This thread is already better than the new season.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I guess, but there's actual character development there.

In Dexter's universe, people conveniently just die.

Honestly, this is one of the most disappointing things about the show. There were never repercussions or long lasting effects. The status quo would look like it was going to be changed for an episode or two before reverting back to how it was, or as close to it as it could be. Anytime it killed off a major character it would just be like they never existed. You can probably count the amount of times Rita and Doakes were mentioned after their deaths on one hand.

And I've bitched about it before but I'm just gonna say it again, one of the suckiest things about this show is how there was never any moral ambiguity in Dexter's victims. They were always lovely one note villains who had no loved ones and if they did treated them awful. You could have got some amazing plots out of the aftermath of some of Dexter's kills. He did kill some people who didn't fit his usual MO, but every single time, there'd be something that would make Dexter basically say "Oh, so it was okay I killed them then." And even that could've been a neat character development thing, to show that Dexter doesn't care who he kills as long as he scratches his itch, but it wasn't addressed that way; it was nothing more than the writers dusting their hands off and saying "Whelp, we solved that problem, I'm done for the day."

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Well no, not completely... He DOES want to kill anyone and everyone. But because of Harry's code, he filters his victims through that, does his research, and kills the ones that he has deemed deserving of it.

I give this show a mountain of poo poo because it deserves it, but Dexter's motives are actually pretty clear since day 1. Harry knew he was going to be a serial killer, so why not kill the worst people ever?

That's... that's like the whole point of the show.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

JaddaCaddra posted:

Honestly, this is one of the most disappointing things about the show. There were never repercussions or long lasting effects. The status quo would look like it was going to be changed for an episode or two before reverting back to how it was, or as close to it as it could be. Anytime it killed off a major character it would just be like they never existed. You can probably count the amount of times Rita and Doakes were mentioned after their deaths on one hand.

And I've bitched about it before but I'm just gonna say it again, one of the suckiest things about this show is how there was never any moral ambiguity in Dexter's victims. They were always lovely one note villains who had no loved ones and if they did treated them awful. You could have got some amazing plots out of the aftermath of some of Dexter's kills. He did kill some people who didn't fit his usual MO, but every single time, there'd be something that would make Dexter basically say "Oh, so it was okay I killed them then." And even that could've been a neat character development thing, to show that Dexter doesn't care who he kills as long as he scratches his itch, but it wasn't addressed that way; it was nothing more than the writers dusting their hands off and saying "Whelp, we solved that problem, I'm done for the day."

For what it's worth, the entirety of season 5 was about Dexter accepting Rita's death.

After that tho they never really remember she ever existed lmfao

e: also ^ yeah

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Also, Dexter never seemed like the type to go "Well, I killed this guy, better see how the family is holding up!"

JaddaCaddra posted:

Also, how long before Dexter gets his secret revealed and anyone close to him is just okay with it. I'm guessing about four episodes.

It'll be the first episode cliffhanger

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
IIRC, someone who read the books said in this thread that in the books, Deb knows Dexter's secret pretty early on and uses him as a personal hitman

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Honestly there’s parts of S7 in terms of Deb finding out and dealing with it that are real good. But there’s just so much hosed up poo poo in S7 and 8 and that’s before you find out this coincides with them divorcing in real life that it just makes an already big mess an even bigger mess

Remember the IT guy or something that was also an indie game dev making a game bout serial killers and he pissed off dexter somehow then he gets killed by the gay mob dude?!??

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Remember the IT guy or something that was also an indie game dev making a game bout serial killers and he pissed off dexter somehow then he gets killed by the gay mob dude?!??

Holy poo poo, I completely forgot about this and can't even picture it. But I do remember these details.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

PostNouveau posted:

IIRC, someone who read the books said in this thread that in the books, Deb knows Dexter's secret pretty early on and uses him as a personal hitman

I think she finds out when he saves her from the Ice Truck Killer? Or very soon after anyway. Then she helps cover for him or smth

Also one or both of Rita's kids have a dark passenger lmfao

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Doesn't Dexter straight up kill an innocent dude after Rita's funeral? I seem to remember that happening.

And then nothing comes of it. BARREL MURDERS LUMEN ELLA vs SALAD

TABLEU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

In the books, his dark passenger literally ends up as an actual demon.

Doakes gets fully de-limbed, and also, I think, has his tongue cut out. :stare:

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Well no, not completely... He DOES want to kill anyone and everyone. But because of Harry's code, he filters his victims through that, does his research, and kills the ones that he has deemed deserving of it.

I give this show a mountain of poo poo because it deserves it, but Dexter's motives are actually pretty clear since day 1. Harry knew he was going to be a serial killer, so why not kill the worst people ever?

That's... that's like the whole point of the show.

Oh yeah I know, but I mean like it would have been neat if he killed someone that ended up not fitting his code and there was some sort of fallout or character development associated with it, instead of copping out and then just forgetting about it. There's one episode where he kills a man and it turns out some other dude was the real killer, and one episode later Dexter forgets about it by brushing it off as "Well, he was an rear end in a top hat so he deserved it." Which does reaffirm that he doesn't care about who he kills and his moral compass is only because of Harry, and could have lead to an interesting development where he stretches his definition of "deserves to be killed." Or better yet, have him kill the wrong guy or kill in self defense and not cop out by saying "well they were terrible anyways." Make the character face the reality he killed someone that didn't deserve it by any stretch of the code.

Davros1 posted:

Also, Dexter never seemed like the type to go "Well, I killed this guy, better see how the family is holding up!"

No, but in the first episode they show the wife of Dexter's victim from earlier in the episode coming to the police department to report him missing. Something like that could have been a situation where Dexter is forced to face the effects of his killings.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

In the books, his dark passenger literally ends up as an actual demon.

Doakes gets fully de-limbed, and also, I think, has his tongue cut out. :stare:

It ends up as a demon for one book and then they drop that poo poo like a hot potato. Rightly so. The books are pretty awful overall but that one was just too weird. Think it ends with Dexter shooting up a cult meeting to save Astor and Cody and then one of them stabs the leader to death.

Also Dexter's brother doesn't die and comes back around the fourth or fifth book. He saves Dexter from a cannibal cult by coming in guns blazing.

JaddaCaddra fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jul 31, 2021

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
This all sounds like Jim Butcher Dexter fanfiction

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Open Source Idiom posted:

Doesn't Dexter straight up kill an innocent dude after Rita's funeral? I seem to remember that happening.

I remember him killing some random guy with a hook or something... its fuzzy because I only watched season 5 onward once.

Fake edit: it was an anchor and the loving guy has his own wiki page

but its ok he died because the guy was a jerk.

quote:

In his limited interaction with Dexter, Rankin is shown to be a boorish, surly, abrasive, obnoxious, rude man with little-to-no patience and a short fuse.

quote:

Rankin angrily asks Dexter what his problem is, and Dexter tells him that his wife had died that week and it was his fault. However, Rankin, does not care about Dexter's grief and rudely says, "Well, I'm real sorry for your loving loss, but your dead wife can suck my dick." Dexter angrily attacks Rankin, lunging at him with the anchor.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
And Dexter did it ANGRILY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Oh god - I just remembered the painting.