Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I just use Spotify for music so it seemed easy to use it for the few podcasts I listen to. I've been wanting to become a woff patron for awhile, but wasn't sure how it would work.

If I download a podcast app, does the app itself have some place for me to put credentials to access the premium Duckfeed content? Or I would download them from some repository I get access to through the Duckfeed Patreon page and then just play them in the app like any other downloaded audio?

I like that Spotify updates with the latest episodes of WOFF so I never have to go searching for them, but I'm open to trying whatever I guess, assuming I can hear the premium episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

A Strange Aeon posted:

I just use Spotify for music so it seemed easy to use it for the few podcasts I listen to. I've been wanting to become a woff patron for awhile, but wasn't sure how it would work.

If I download a podcast app, does the app itself have some place for me to put credentials to access the premium Duckfeed content? Or I would download them from some repository I get access to through the Duckfeed Patreon page and then just play them in the app like any other downloaded audio?

I like that Spotify updates with the latest episodes of WOFF so I never have to go searching for them, but I'm open to trying whatever I guess, assuming I can hear the premium episodes.

you get a link from patreon, pop it into your player, and you'll see it in your feed just like on spotify.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Samopsa posted:

you get a link from patreon, pop it into your player, and you'll see it in your feed just like on spotify.

Oh cool, that sounds painless!

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
With Pocket Casts specifically (because that's why I use), you simply pop the Patreon URL into the search bar.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
There was some talk of having individual early release feeds but I don't know if it ever ended up happening, I just download everything in the duckfeed early release feed and prune from there.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I still want the Patreon bonus tier where you get podcast chapter marks.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Gary and Kole talked about gimmick gaming in their Boktai episode, and mentioned how every other game on the DS made you do the tedious and embarassing task of blowing into the microphone. Games still do that, Astro's Playroom which came out last year for the Playstation 5 has you do that a bunch. It went from tedious and embarassing to downright dangerous. I don't have my own PS5, I'm broke and unemployed, I played it on my flatmates PS5 but this game expects me to blast my mouth germs all over my flatmates controller in the middle of a pandemic.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Beartaco posted:

the tedious and embarassing task of blowing into the microphone
there's a part in Seaman for the Sega Dreamcast where Seaman gets sick and you have to do some unknown amount of cheering it up or it might die. I will never sink lower in my gaming career than when I spent a half hour saying "I love you" to a virtual monster man fish because a GameFAQ told me to.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
You know, whenever I've played Sam and Max Season 1 I think I played each episode long enough apart that I was completely unaware that Hugh Bliss and Brady Culture were two separate characters.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I love that Gary decides to completely halt the Chrono Trigger podcast half way through to inform us about an argument people are having on twitter about the trans inclusiveness of a 16-bit bat with three lines of dialogue.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I know neither of you post here anymore but happy 10-year anniversary you goofs, from someone who's been around since the beginning (or very close to it) :toot: I still haven't forgotten your bad-mouthing of Metroid Prime all those years ago!

Regarding Sonic 2, I'm with you on the gameplay never quite feeling right because you spend so much time switching between those three modes of going fast, dodging traps, and doing slower more precise platforming (and two of those three not being any fun). And then when the series moved to 3D they leaned harder into the weaker aspects of that 2D gameplay, either because it was cheaper to do or because they genuinely thought those modes were fun.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Man that Paradise Killer episode was brutal. I never played it so I cannot weigh in, but that Kole Gary hostility was just perfect. I love when they disagree on a game, really adds that extra zest to the mix.

It did really make me wish they would somehow deign to play Umineko. It deals with every problem Gary had with the game while simultaneously being a game that I know he'd loving hate. And I've got the feeling Kole would end up an absolute diehard fan.

Anyways Congrats on Ten Years of still making a listenable pod, that's no small feat.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I remember jumping onto the WoFF bandwagon around episode 40 and thinking wow I'll never work through this back catalogue.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I remember an ad they ran here on the forums I clicked on, they had 6 or 7 episodes, one of which was Shadowrun, one of my favorites.

When did they finally stop with the skits? I don't think they added much and I don't miss them, but they were sometimes earnestly goofy.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

A Strange Aeon posted:

I remember an ad they ran here on the forums I clicked on, they had 6 or 7 episodes, one of which was Shadowrun, one of my favorites.

When did they finally stop with the skits? I don't think they added much and I don't miss them, but they were sometimes earnestly goofy.

I would subscribe the hell out of "Kole and Gary read the entirety of old Shadowrun sourcebooks and riff" which I guess is kinda what MIMP was, and would run into copyright issues, but still.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Downloaded the preview for the Darkest Dungeon ep, and this was on my YouTube feed at the same time https://youtu.be/JfqhXVN5jaU

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

A Strange Aeon posted:

They still do (a unique variety of) skits for their Abject Suffering show, which are genuinely half the reason I tune in.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Darkest Dungeon episode was great, and convinced me to revisit the game for the first time in two years (I've never finished it).

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

The Berzerker posted:

Darkest Dungeon episode was great, and convinced me to revisit the game for the first time in two years (I've never finished it).

I'm partway through the episode and thinking the same thing. I played it several years ago in early access, so it sounds like they made it a bit friendlier.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

A Strange Aeon posted:

I'm partway through the episode and thinking the same thing. I played it several years ago in early access, so it sounds like they made it a bit friendlier.

It seemed really intimidating when I first learned about the game so I never actually played it, but hearing that it's a little less harsh now has me interested. Also this extended musical outro on the preview ep rips.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The future WOFF's really hit it out the park for me personally, between Left 4 Dead, Stardew Valley and Starcraft 2 you couldn't find 3 more different games I sunk hours into, really looking forward to these episodes

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I feel like they went pretty easy on RE8, where they'd make a criticism but then just move past it because they're so fond of the series, whereas if something similar was in another, less beloved franchise, they would have dwelled on it longer.

Like in what universe is it a WOFF positive that the game evoked elements shallowly without actually putting the gameplay design work in? But that seemed to be Gary's thesis and it wasn't damning.

I've never been a big RE fan so maybe I just don't get it, but most of the stuff they were describing sounded ridiculous--and maybe they felt it was all intentional instead of lazy or incoherent based on the history of the series, but to an outsider, it sounded like they were forgiving cliche stuff like the names of the mercenaries and Chris's tone as intentional humor instead of rather poorly conceived and implemented.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Stardew Valley
something about this fills me with dread. Have they done many episodes on simulation type games before? I see there's one in the archives about Harvest Moon / Simcity

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
Kole here. I love Stardew and have played it voraciously since it came out on Switch. G isn’t as enamored with it as I am (that would be a difficult feat), but he had a good time with it.

It won’t be an unabashed lovefest of an episode, but it’s not a game we’re going to drag. Expect us to spend time trying to figure out how it manages to make some things that are otherwise unappealing to us enjoyable.

Edit: We played and loved the Sims 3 for an episode as well. I think that was E200.

Song For The Deaf fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 26, 2021

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Add chapter marks

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Song For The Deaf posted:

Kole here. I love Stardew and have played it voraciously since it came out on Switch. G isn’t as enamored with it as I am (that would be a difficult feat), but he had a good time with it.
Interesting to hear! I played it a lot when it came out but have tried and failed several times to leap back in for the 1.5 content.

I've played a lot of similar games since that have worse characters and theming (My Time At Portia, Rune Factory 4) but more quality of life improvements. Which makes deciphering my farm and its 20 unshared unlabelled chests feel daunting in comparison, and I'd rather play a different new game than start a new farm.

Intrigued to hear how y'all break it down!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Did you guys do a co op farm or fly solo?

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Elated to find the Hereditary episode pop up on my phone.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

The 10th anniversary dispatch ep is excellent

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

I had a chuckle when Kole referred to inaccurate Silent Hill rumors as less harmful qanon

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Didn't Rochelle have a bunch of voice lines cut from the final game?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
the everything to guppy halloween special is a loving psychic assault. did not expect this much 9/11 chat

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Wrestlepig posted:

the everything to guppy halloween special is a loving psychic assault. did not expect this much 9/11 chat

I’ve never listened to guppy and only know of it from Gary’s descriptions on other shows, but that sounds exactly right

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
How much do I have to donate for you guys to set up a shard and do a WOFF on Everquest?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

How much do I have to donate for you guys to set up a shard and do a WOFF on Everquest?

I've been saying this for years about Thief (1998)

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

The Adaptation Decay on The Witch is fantastic, especially the tangent where Gary suggests an interpretation of the film where Agent 47 is stalking the family.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Gary wants to plan a shadow run to find what treasure is being guarded in the tomb of the unknown soldier

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I ended up playing Wings of Liberty alongside the episode and I had a lot of fun! I found the story engaging enough and I was definitely more down for the ridiculous "bishonen fuckboy" Valerian than Gary and Kole were.

Honestly, I wish I'd bumped up the difficulty right from the start. I'd listened to the generalities section of the podcast before I started and they mentioned that the game got difficult in the last few missions which I did not find true at all, I found it a very forgiving game all the way through. I don't even play much RTS, with the exception of the WC3 campaign every few years, certainly no multiplayer stuff.

I might actually keep going into Heart of the Swarm. I'm eager to try out the zerg and I had a lot more fun with the protoss section than those two did. Has anyone played the other two expansions and can tell me how the difficulty is on those?

fake edit:

I laughed out loud when Gary mentioned Raynor's "not particularly inspiring speech" because it was so bad. "You're all going to die for this cause!" *Camera pans to the crew sagely nodding as the music swells*

Beartaco fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Nov 30, 2021

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
The zerg campaign is pretty easy if you use kerrigan, she's insanely powerful. It's a good campaign.

The protoss one gets really tough early on and in the finale when doing brutal, but is about the same as the terran campaign on normal.

The epilogue isnt that hard, and the same goes for the nova expansion pack.

I really recommend doing all of them if you enjoyed the first campaign, it only gets better gameplay-wise. The story continues to be pretty dumb but whatever.

Playing Coop is also really fun. They're basically big single player missions that you play together with your teammate, and the commanders you use get very interesting powers, units, and abilities. It's also surprisingly non toxic in my experience, and it's fun to level up your commanders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Played a few Zerg missions on hard mode and that seems like a good decision, I have to pay attention to the mechanics whereas for a lot of the Terran missions I just had so many resources I could ignore most of it and well, zerg rush all the enemy bases. Thanks for the advice!

I'm enjoying the story, I was really worried after the first couple of missions that you wouldn't actually get to be evil and it would continue the bad romance story line but they do a good bait and switch after the introduction.

Beartaco fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Dec 1, 2021