Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Viscous Soda posted:

There's talk about Emma Stone joining in on the lawsuit too, because apparently Disney screwed her over in the same way with the release of Cruella.

Emily Blunt too, but that's a little less likely with Jungle Cruise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
I don't know which horse to back in this race. On one side Disney is a huge greed dragon sitting on it's mountain of gold breathing fire at anyone who wants a piece of it, and the other side is Scarlet Johansson's smaller greed dragon sitting on her mountain of gold being pissed off because the 20 million she already got for Black Widow's box office just didn't quite fill that empty void.

It's like trying to pick who to root for in a fist fight between Eric Trump and Donald Jr.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Frankenstyle posted:

I don't know which horse to back in this race. On one side Disney is a huge greed dragon sitting on it's mountain of gold breathing fire at anyone who wants a piece of it, and the other side is Scarlet Johansson's smaller greed dragon sitting on her mountain of gold being pissed off because the 20 million she already got for Black Widow's box office just didn't quite fill that empty void.

It's like trying to pick who to root for in a fist fight between Eric Trump and Donald Jr.

It's not the mouse, because if they lose they're far less likely to do this to other actors/actresses who may not have the pull of Johansson.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

personally i wouldn't say even a very successful actor is, in any way, equivalent to a multinational corporation that makes tens of billions of dollars a year

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Frankenstyle posted:

I'm disinclined to be generous to a woman who has epitomized the ugly side of white feminism to such a degree but otoh I am a cishet man and tbqh gently caress Disney, they are straight heinous with what they've done to copyright/trademark/IP law in this country. They essentially killed the public domain and didn't even need the loving money.

Emphatically, and once again:

Collapsing Farts posted:

gently caress disney

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 31, 2021

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
gently caress disney

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Frankenstyle posted:

??? Obviously Don Jr., who is dumber, funnier, and more publicly lustful for his father's love

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

gently caress Disney hard. I hope they lose.

But on the other hand I find it hard to feel sympathy for anyone who's made more from acting in one movie than the last dozen generations of my family have made over their entire lives.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I'm not worried that if ScarJo doesn't win she'll be ruined. I just want Disney to eat poo poo on this. This is a letthemfight.gif scenario where someone with some actual leverage and power is fighting an entity that never gets challenged because they're so unethically huge.

If Scarlett doesn't get her extra huge payout I'll shrug and go "gently caress Disney" and never think about it again.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Comparing ScarJo -- who seems, from what we know, to actually have good cause for litigation here -- to Disney -- who seems to have intentionally breached the contract they agreed to with her -- and then going "HMM I JUST DON'T KNOW WHO TO SUPPORT, BOTH SIDES SEEM BAD :saddowns:" is a real galaxy-brain take. Multiple galaxies, even.

I said this elsewhere, but people are entitled to protection under contract law whether we like them or not. It doesn't matter if ScarJo is a rich white yellowfacer going after all the trans roles; if Disney didn't honor their agreement then she's completely right to go after them and she should absolutely win.

In fact. I will present the other hot take that, if the situations were reversed and Johansson were the one that screwed over some financial agreement or another she made with Disney, then Disney would be justified in going after her even if they're the scummiest corporation ever. You don't pick and choose who you support in a case based on who seems more likable.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Frankenstyle posted:

The point in struggles like this is rarely just to get the money. It's to hold your employers to task for money they promised you because you have the money to do so where smaller actors who don't have Executive Producer credits, as ScarJo did on this, couldn't.

Always side with labor. Even when labor is a millionaire fighting billionaires.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, if they're willing to do this to someone like ScarJo, think of what they're willing to do to non S rank talent.

BTW I keep seeing "I hope that racist bitch loses" but like, GITS was poorly cast with her but didn't the Japanese producers specifically want her to be The Major? Did she come out and say "Asians should all die because they caused covid" or something?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
It's probably gonna settle out of court for an undisclosed amount and Disney will make sure their future contracts are iron clad and everyone who isn't a top billed, hugely successful actor will continue to get the poo poo end of the stick like the Star Wars authors. gently caress Disney, and to have the gall to bring up the pandemic in their response while they reopened Disneyworld during the height of it in June 2020, just fucccccck you scum.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It's probably gonna settle out of court for an undisclosed amount and Disney will make sure their future contracts are iron clad and everyone who isn't a top billed, hugely successful actor will continue to get the poo poo end of the stick like the Star Wars authors. gently caress Disney, and to have the gall to bring up the pandemic in their response while they reopened Disneyworld during the height of it in June 2020, just fucccccck you scum.
:emptyquote:

But for real this is going to have a weird spillover effect onto how Marvel Studios and its talent interact, even if its ultimately imperceptible on the consumer level. They won't run out of fresh up-and-comers eager to lock into a potential gravy train like Simu Liu anytime soon, but they could have a problem attracting/retaining ScarJo-level talent in the future, which is already a problem in a megafranchise that's hit the "Ok so who are our A-Listers?" wall now that RDJ, Evans, and ScarJo have all stepped down, Boseman is loving dead, and Sony is about to close around Tom Holland like a goddamn symbiote claw.

I love you Benzyne Peroxylpatch, but your Doctor Strange isn't going to stabilize the boat. Crisp Rat's Starwalker ain't gonna do it. Everyone loves Hemsworth but he's in party retirement mode. Apples n' Brie is great but she divides the CHUD market by the unholy sin of having the gall to exist. We gonna start putting chips down on The Open-Faced Night from GoT? Bet that suddenly Ruffalo Buffalo is gonna become a field leader? Moonshot it and hope that they get Jim to mug the camera as Stretch Armstrong? It's an interesting place we're in right now.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 31, 2021

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, if they're willing to do this to someone like ScarJo, think of what they're willing to do to non S rank talent.

BTW I keep seeing "I hope that racist bitch loses" but like, GITS was poorly cast with her but didn't the Japanese producers specifically want her to be The Major? Did she come out and say "Asians should all die because they caused covid" or something?

She also split with Oxfam over SodaStream factories on the West Bank. Disney is terrible and should lose but Johansson sucks.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Johanssen winning will do nothing to advance human rights, improve working class pay or conditions, or unfuck U.S. Intellectual Property laws. It's okay to feel schadenfreude no matter what the outcome is.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Yes since she's not suing Disney for human rights violations we should all be dumb and act like nothing matters :rolleyes:

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Making more toy story movies is actually a war crime

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Yes since she's not suing Disney for human rights violations we should all be dumb and act like nothing matters :rolleyes:

The message was pull for whatever outcome you like, because none of it will matter. At all.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
That's a bad message op.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

That's a bad message op.

The world's a cruel place. Focus on things that can make a difference.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

This is a childish line of thought really, does every single thing a person does have to be saving the world? How do your posts on a TV forum on the internet help anyone or is this advice just for other people?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

Ok leader. Lead on.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I'm gonna change the world! [watches Loki] yes, yes, yes!

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Frankenstyle posted:

:letthemfight.gif:

That's all I can say.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

A.o.D. posted:

Johanssen winning will do nothing to advance human rights, improve working class pay or conditions, or unfuck U.S. Intellectual Property laws. It's okay to feel schadenfreude no matter what the outcome is.

So is that the measurement of actions now? Unless any given action will advance human rights, solve climate change and defeat all evil forever it's not worth doing? Cool. That thinking sure lets my straight white CiS-gender male rear end off the hook for a bunch of stuff, but I'll give it a pass anyway.

Because it's bullshit.

You say ScarJo's suit won't "advance human rights, improve working class pay or conditions, or unfuck U.S. Intellectual Property laws." Maybe not by itself. But it might set precedents. Including ones where when this comes up around a less wealthy, less famous, PoC, woman, trans person, minority, etc., the Mouse will recall when ScarJo kicked its teeth down its throat and decide to not risk that again and to play a little fairer because it'll cost less.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

That's a bad message op.

In this case it's also factually correct, sorry.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Everyone posted:

So is that the measurement of actions now? Unless any given action will advance human rights, solve climate change and defeat all evil forever it's not worth doing? Cool. That thinking sure lets my straight white CiS-gender male rear end off the hook for a bunch of stuff, but I'll give it a pass anyway.

Because it's bullshit.

You say ScarJo's suit won't "advance human rights, improve working class pay or conditions, or unfuck U.S. Intellectual Property laws." Maybe not by itself. But it might set precedents. Including ones where when this comes up around a less wealthy, less famous, PoC, woman, trans person, minority, etc., the Mouse will recall when ScarJo kicked its teeth down its throat and decide to not risk that again and to play a little fairer because it'll cost less.

Hell, even if she loses, just by showing that people have a right to speak up when a megacorp is trying to gently caress them and push it under the table sets a good precedent and encourages the less privileged. Even Kevin Feige is supposedly on ScarJo's side and in fact pretty pissed off that Gisnep is being such transparent scumbags about it.

Even if Johansson is some kind of uppity, greedy villain, that still doesn't make it okay for a bigger villain to exploit and abuse her and that's a terrible philosophy to espouse.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

XboxPants posted:

Hell, even if she loses, just by showing that people have a right to speak up when a megacorp is trying to gently caress them and push it under the table sets a good precedent and encourages the less privileged. Even Kevin Feige is supposedly on ScarJo's side and in fact pretty pissed off that Gisnep is being such transparent scumbags about it.

Even if Johansson is some kind of uppity, greedy villain, that still doesn't make it okay for a bigger villain to exploit and abuse her and that's a terrible philosophy to espouse.
If I were Feige I would be upset, yeah. This issue should not be the kind of thing that should ever escalate to the point where lawsuits are being filed. A messy public issue like this just makes his job harder when he’s trying to get other big names to sign on for Marvel projects.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Doctor Nutt posted:

In this case it's also factually correct, sorry.

Sounds like a miserable way to live, sorry for you are loss.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Sounds like a miserable way to live, sorry for you are loss.

I'm living just fine, sorry that alternative points of view are so repugnant to you. :rolleyes:

also sorry but just a hearty lol at anyone that thinks anyone who actually labors will win as a result of this slapfight between bosses

Still gently caress disney tho

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Ah yes the alternative point of view being "everything sucks and doesn't matter" I'm sorry for interrupting the discourse goon sir

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Ah yes the alternative point of view being "everything sucks and doesn't matter" I'm sorry for interrupting the discourse goon sir

Well, espousing the everything sucks/nothing matters view is how one conforms to the "cool noncomformist" crowd. Just let them enjoy their coffee and smoking as they choose.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I thought sports was the last bastion where people backed management over workers, but I guess movies have been added to the list.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Maybe if I support ScarJo over disney she'll sleep with me

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
hey What if there are

clear right and wrong sides in this situation and trying to brush it off with forced cynicism is really embarrassing for people

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Just hand her the percentage of gross from the premiere package money that went toward Black Widow and call it a day. It's not like people who paid to watch it at home got access to anything other than the movie.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Kevin Feige is throwing Disney under the bus and he's a company man, so that is not a good look.

Feige says he lobbied Disney to keep Black Widow a theatrical only release and thought that they didn't do enough to "make it right" to ScarJo. He also didn't like any of the major MCU movies being released on streaming services because it "devalues" the brand and theater experience.

Says he is "angry and embarrassed" about Disney's reaction to the lawsuit.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Darth Brooks posted:

Just hand her the percentage of gross from the premiere package money that went toward Black Widow and call it a day. It's not like people who paid to watch it at home got access to anything other than the movie.

And that probably would have been fine, but Disney wants to be greedy contract-breaching dicks about it, so she's having to sue the fuckers.

Actually, I suspect that this was really an experiment. Can they screw an A-list star out of their contractual payments with minimal blowback?

Note that the Disney argument isn't "She's wrong about about the contract." It's "How DARE that selfish oval office insist on being paid in the midst of this AWFUL PANDEMIC! Media! Look over there! Squirrel! SQUIRREL!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Really telling that the situation is "huge trillions profit company screwed a woman out of millions of dollars" and people are really up in here saying "lol look at these simps siding with ScarJo."